Blue Bombers Forum
August 18, 2022, 07:05:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29
  Print  
Author Topic: Official Game Day Thread - 108th Grey Cup Game December 12, 2021  (Read 19751 times)
TecnoGenius

« Reply #390 on: December 16, 2021, 04:44:04 AM »

Very seldom do you get a 40mph cold wind in pro sports but when you do it's a factor. However, if we had lost the coin toss it would have been paramount that we construct a lead that is insurmountable in the 2nd and 3rd Qs.

Yes, and not doing that was HAM's #2 mistake (#1 was all the rouges).  They should have been up 15+ to start the 4th.

It was like a MOS spider had spun his funnel web and was just waiting for HAM to start tumbling down...

Never go full Rider!
TecnoGenius

« Reply #391 on: December 16, 2021, 04:52:21 AM »

Teams seldom make that choice. They want to know what they have to achieve in their matching series. If the opponent only scores a FG and they are 3 and 4 then they kick a matching FG. In the case of the Grey Cup, they knew they had to score a TD and 2 pointer to continue, so it was 3 down football.

Good point.  The collective wisdom is you always want to go 2nd in OT.  Always.  I've never seen anyone elect to go 1st.

But look at what happened to HAM... our O scoring and getting the 2pter simply destroyed HAM morale and any momentum from their regulation-ending drive.  Banks sulking and pouting on the sidelines.

Should HAM have elected to go 1st??  They had a bit of momentum and their morale wasn't destroyed quite yet.

Going 2nd works great when the other team just gets a FG (the usual outcome).  But when they get a TD, or worse TD+2pt, then your team can start worrying or doubting or getting nervous.  That can affect the play and it kind of becomes self-fulfilling.

It's an interesting thought exercise when you factor in morale, and maybe there's some stats to back it up.  Maybe conventional wisdom is wrong, or not so cut and dried.

Maybe HAM was doomed either way!  Actually, given what I've written before, I believe that to be so.  But they might have done a bit better by going 1st.  (Or going for it on 3rd and 5.)

Never go full Rider!
Blue In BC

« Reply #392 on: December 16, 2021, 01:18:05 PM »

Re-watched the game yesterday. Knowing the outcome took the anxiety out of watching and got to just enjoy the play of the game.

So many outstanding plays by both teams. There were many turning points in the seesaw battle. Any one of which could have been the deciding play. Of course the ones that happen at the end made the earlier ones irrelevant at that point. The knockdown forcing OT and then the int obviously " decided " the game.

Can't say enough about our team finding a way to close the game with the victory. Hamilton played a very good game and were within inches of winning a few times.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
blue_gold_84

GC108 Champions!

« Reply #393 on: December 16, 2021, 01:46:01 PM »

Re-watched the game yesterday. Knowing the outcome took the anxiety out of watching and got to just enjoy the play of the game.

So many outstanding plays by both teams. There were many turning points in the seesaw battle. Any one of which could have been the deciding play. Of course the ones that happen at the end made the earlier ones irrelevant at that point. The knockdown forcing OT and then the int obviously " decided " the game.

Can't say enough about our team finding a way to close the game with the victory. Hamilton played a very good game and were within inches of winning a few times.

An absolute classic championship game by any standard and a fantastic way to cap off the 2021 season. Big plays, momentum swings, some drama, overtime...  As a CFL fan, it's hard to ask for much more than that.

As a fan of this team, I couldn't ask for more. Grin

#forthew
#defendthecup

Back-to-back Grey Cup Champions!

Slava Ukraini!
Blue In BC

« Reply #394 on: December 16, 2021, 03:16:16 PM »

An absolute classic championship game by any standard and a fantastic way to cap off the 2021 season. Big plays, momentum swings, some drama, overtime...  As a CFL fan, it's hard to ask for much more than that.

As a fan of this team, I couldn't ask for more. Grin

I could have asked for a 28 -0 lead by the end of 1Q Smiley I'm too old for that much stress.

My guess is that fans other than Bomber or Ti-Cats really would have enjoyed the game. For fans of the teams involved it was nail biting to the very end.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
blue_gold_84

GC108 Champions!

« Reply #395 on: December 16, 2021, 05:53:23 PM »

I could have asked for a 28 -0 lead by the end of 1Q Smiley I'm too old for that much stress.

My guess is that fans other than Bomber or Ti-Cats really would have enjoyed the game. For fans of the teams involved it was nail biting to the very end.

Oh, I was nervous as could be going into the 4th quarter but still had a pretty good feeling based on how incredibly well the Bombers were in 4th quarters all season. Grin

Strictly from an entertainment standpoint, though, that was the kind of game the CFL needed on its biggest stage.

#forthew
#defendthecup

Back-to-back Grey Cup Champions!

Slava Ukraini!
TecnoGenius

« Reply #396 on: December 17, 2021, 01:05:32 AM »

You bet!  I watch every CFL game, every year.  Obviously I'm not as excited when it's not WPG playing.  But games like this are always great fun and get me revved up and yelling at the screen even when it's just other teams.  I would have loved watching this game play out as it did even if it wasn't WPG.

Yes, great for the CFL!  Anyone who didn't tune in to watch the "rematch" missed out on a game for the ages.

Never go full Rider!
TecnoGenius

« Reply #397 on: December 19, 2021, 02:24:16 AM »

Winner of the internet on the Riderfans forum GC GDT:

greenrider55:
Proulx is reffing the game and looks like he?s feeling every emotion at once

(Rewatch the pre-game when they announce Proulx as head ref, then reread the above comment.)

Pure gold!!  I don't even know how Proulx pulls that face every year!

https://www.riderfans.com/forum/forum/main-forum/788260-gdt-2021-grey-cup-bombers-vs-ticats/page4

Never go full Rider!
TecnoGenius

« Reply #398 on: December 19, 2021, 02:33:13 AM »

Also, gotta say something about Proulx's crew: they did an excellent job.  They didn't "let the boys play" as much as 2019, but also didn't go crazy.  The only ticky-tack calls IMHO was the half-second HTTF call on Bryant (his first in years?), and HAM's first hold.

If you thought the other calls were weak, go back and watch the replays.  I thought they were weak too, but they are obvious and justified when you rewatch.

Did we actually make it through a CFL game with neither side being called for DPI or IC?  Amazing.  There was that OPI but it was smart, justified and not dangerous.

And in the end it was Rod Smith and Suits in the booth.  I think we all guessed that ahead of time after Blackie quit.  Rod really upped his PBP game this year and is now quite good after a rather weak start at the job in 2019.  Barker got better as the year moved on, too.  Chesie has improved a whack ton and I really enjoy him now.  BLM actually wasn't bad as guest... I have a strange feeling that's going to be his full time job in 2022 based on some of his comments.  Slurpie Boy screwing up Duthie's pick was pretty funny.  Only Barker & BLM picked HAM to win.

The all-day Sat and Sun coverage was OK.  Not as good as 2019, but probably covid-suppressed.  Milt still has the moves!

Never go full Rider!
oskee woot woot

« Reply #399 on: December 19, 2021, 02:40:41 AM »

Also, gotta say something about Proulx's crew: they did an excellent job.  They didn't "let the boys play" as much as 2019, but also didn't go crazy.  The only ticky-tack calls IMHO was the half-second HTTF call on Bryant (his first in years?), and HAM's first hold.

If you thought the other calls were weak, go back and watch the replays.  I thought they were weak too, but they are obvious and justified when you rewatch.

Did we actually make it through a CFL game with neither side being called for DPI or IC?  Amazing.  There was that OPI but it was smart, justified and not dangerous.

And in the end it was Rod Smith and Suits in the booth.  I think we all guessed that ahead of time after Blackie quit.  Rod really upped his PBP game this year and is now quite good after a rather weak start at the job in 2019.  Barker got better as the year moved on, too.  Chesie has improved a whack ton and I really enjoy him now.  BLM actually wasn't bad as guest... I have a strange feeling that's going to be his full time job in 2022 based on some of his comments.  Slurpie Boy screwing up Duthie's pick was pretty funny.  Only Barker & BLM picked HAM to win.

The all-day Sat and Sun coverage was OK.  Not as good as 2019, but probably covid-suppressed.  Milt still has the moves!

I agree the refs were solid. Even ref-hating Ticat fans didn't have much to complain about. It was pretty fairly called for both teams, and most calls made were ones that had to be called. I've never hated Proulx as much as most people, so was ok with him officiating this one.

TecnoGenius

« Reply #400 on: December 19, 2021, 02:41:41 AM »

Riderfans brings up another great point: Why wasn't Speedy B back there to return that final KO in the 4th?  Your game on the line and you leave 3rd stringer T.White returning?  Huh?

#1. Speedy B was a full-time returner for years and knows intimately what you do in each KO situation.  T.White has no clue what to do.

#2. Speedy B gives you your best chance at busting a massive return or KO TD.

#3. Speedy B scares the cover team.  White scares no one.

#4. Rob Speedy B of his chance at 2014 redemption??

Come to think of it... what if Speedy B pouting in OT was mainly because he was denied the chance to KO return for the win??

What's the only downside to Speedy B returning there?  He might get hurt?  He wasn't used much on that final drive anyhow.  We took Speedy B away all night.

Never go full Rider!
Blue In BC

« Reply #401 on: December 19, 2021, 03:46:26 PM »

Which ever team ending up winning the Grey Cup would have been full marks for a victory. No team had a decided advantage by some missed calls going for or against them. The statistics were close to dead even.

The team that made " the play " at the end was going to win and that turned out to be the Bombers. Was it lucky? In a sense yes but football is a game of inches.  Even with the deflection by Nichols that pass was still potentially a chance to win.

Was the int in OT lucky? We see those often and sometimes 5 players have a shot at an int and it hits the ground or the receiver ends up with it.

Both teams did some very good film work and were contesting passes all game.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
oskee woot woot

« Reply #402 on: December 19, 2021, 04:03:16 PM »

Which ever team ending up winning the Grey Cup would have been full marks for a victory. No team had a decided advantage by some missed calls going for or against them. The statistics were close to dead even.

The team that made " the play " at the end was going to win and that turned out to be the Bombers. Was it lucky? In a sense yes but football is a game of inches.  Even with the deflection by Nichols that pass was still potentially a chance to win.

Was the int in OT lucky? We see those often and sometimes 5 players have a shot at an int and it hits the ground or the receiver ends up with it.

Both teams did some very good film work and were contesting passes all game.

You are all too nice. I feel like I should hate your team and your fanbase but you're making it too hard Smiley
TecnoGenius

« Reply #403 on: December 20, 2021, 12:17:50 AM »

You are all too nice. I feel like I should hate your team and your fanbase but you're making it too hard Smiley

Haha!  Well, some/most of us are firstly CFL/football fans, secondly Bomber fans.  If you're not wearing green, we'll treat you right  Wink Wink   And a lot of prairie fans (of both colors) hate the Stamps more (ABC!).  Not enough hate leftover for East teams  Wink Wink

I'm sure you can relate, vis a vis the Argos  Wink Wink Wink Grin Grin

You're more than welcome to hang around talking good football all year; though you might want to skip the threads about the intricate details of our 4th string LB STer draft choices.  Cheesy Cheesy  Heck, I often skip those too  Grin Grin Grin

Like I said before, if 2022 GC is SSK vs HAM in SSK, almost everyone here will be cheering for ya!

Never go full Rider!
oskee woot woot

« Reply #404 on: December 20, 2021, 01:30:59 AM »

Riderfans brings up another great point: Why wasn't Speedy B back there to return that final KO in the 4th?  Your game on the line and you leave 3rd stringer T.White returning?  Huh?

#1. Speedy B was a full-time returner for years and knows intimately what you do in each KO situation.  T.White has no clue what to do.

#2. Speedy B gives you your best chance at busting a massive return or KO TD.

#3. Speedy B scares the cover team.  White scares no one.

#4. Rob Speedy B of his chance at 2014 redemption??

Come to think of it... what if Speedy B pouting in OT was mainly because he was denied the chance to KO return for the win??

What's the only downside to Speedy B returning there?  He might get hurt?  He wasn't used much on that final drive anyhow.  We took Speedy B away all night.

I agree, Speedy going back there would have been the better option. Even Tunde Adeleke, who goes back there once in a while, would have been better - he's a NI and understands the single point. I'm convinced White had no idea what he was doing when he kneeled (which falls on coaching).

Haha!  Well, some/most of us are firstly CFL/football fans, secondly Bomber fans.  If you're not wearing green, we'll treat you right  Wink Wink   And a lot of prairie fans (of both colors) hate the Stamps more (ABC!).  Not enough hate leftover for East teams  Wink Wink

I'm sure you can relate, vis a vis the Argos  Wink Wink Wink Grin Grin

You're more than welcome to hang around talking good football all year; though you might want to skip the threads about the intricate details of our 4th string LB STer draft choices.  Cheesy Cheesy  Heck, I often skip those too  Grin Grin Grin

Like I said before, if 2022 GC is SSK vs HAM in SSK, almost everyone here will be cheering for ya!

Haha. Likewise, had Toronto won this year's Eastern Final you would have seen a sea of blue and gold supporters in the crowd from the Hammer. There was only one time I cheered for the Argos and that was in the '17 Grey Cup, and that's only because I was mad at my own team and cheered for the Argos out of spite (that was the year the Cats went 0-7 to start the season; Kent Austin and Zach Collaros were the scapegoats). If that makes any sense  Huh. That was also the year the Stamps beat the Ticats 60-1, so I hated Calgary that year, too.

I will stick around. I like your format and good football talk happening. I love my fellow Ticat fans, but I think this 22 year drought has caused restlesness in the fanbase, resulting in some less than stellar conversations. Everything is just doom and gloom right now. You guys just won (2 in a row) so you're thinking a little more clear headed.  Grin  Think of me as a lost Ticat fan.   Cool
« Last Edit: December 20, 2021, 01:39:34 AM by oskee woot woot » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29
  Print  

Jump to: