Blue Bombers Forum
August 11, 2022, 10:49:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 29
  Print  
Author Topic: Official Game Day Thread - 108th Grey Cup Game December 12, 2021  (Read 19427 times)
jeremy q public

« Reply #315 on: December 13, 2021, 05:14:57 AM »

Lawlers OPI saved the game.

YES! That has gotta be the most valuable penalty I've ever seen a Bomber take.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #316 on: December 13, 2021, 06:51:31 AM »

Watch the QB draw here.

Haha, that's exactly what I thought/said at the moment!  Cheesy  The pass almost worked... would the draw have worked?  Maybe because everyone thought draw, WPG would have been ready.

You know I didn't even get too excited at the end......we had the team that could snatch victory from those cliched but nasty jaws of defeat

Ya, I'm sure we'll all talk a little more about this.  The emotions on this win were completely different from '19.  For you, me, and I'm sure lots of fans.  And definitely for the team.  The reactions were completely different.  Many players were really crying in the postgame, when in 2019 there were some teary eyes of joy, but no bawling red eyes.

Like I said last week.  This win was kind of gravy, not the emotional must-have of 2019.  And this time I felt they were going to win and didn't get too worked up.  In 2019 it wasn't until 5:00 in the 4th I felt WPG would win.

Never go full Rider!
TecnoGenius

« Reply #317 on: December 13, 2021, 06:58:05 AM »

We outscored them, what, 22-3 from the beginning of the 4th.

Fitting.

Insane.  I was doubting MOS deferring both halves.  But he knew best.  That wind plus our shut-em-down D in the 4th made HAM's life very difficult.

It was mostly the new additions of Rose and Castillo that came to play for the Bombers... the rest of the guys were too chill. The Ticats deserved to win the game.. sloppy playing by the Bombers against the Riders and Ticats. We lucked out on this Cup.. and what a bonehead move from the Ticats to give up a point to make it a field goal to tie rather than win.. wonder who made that call.

No way, uh-uh.  There was no luck on this win.  This was grit, belief, even keel morale, and can-do attitude that won this GC.  To be down 12 well into the 4th would eat most teams from the inside out.  The plays that were made in the 4th were astoundingly good.  Rewatch!

As for bonehead move... I agree completely.  MOS said in post-game that he liked the call.  Maybe he's just being nice to his friend.  If they run it out they likely get at least to the 25 or 30 on just a normal return.  So the point bought them 5 or 10 yards field position.  Not worth it and likely cost them the wind.  You could say they saved the time of the return, but time really wasn't dire at that point.  They had plenty.

This decision will be talked about for years.  I loved the look on the fans' faces in the stands after that decision.  Even AH & ZC8 were looking like "huh, wha?".

Reinebold finally made a good call for the Blue and Gold?  Too soon?

Awesome!  You win the thread!

Never go full Rider!
TecnoGenius

« Reply #318 on: December 13, 2021, 07:06:10 AM »

After watching Steinaeurs interview?100% he?s leaving.

Yup, the way he ended it, that was a goodbye forever moment for sure.  Like I said pregame, now he can slink out of town for his big payday.

I think that was the first interception with two bombers assisting

Hehe.  You don't see that much unless it's in the middle of the trenches with a DL tip.

Credit where credit is due on the broadcast team.  PBP was solid.

At least the Arkells guy was a CFL fan and knew what was going on.  And the segment was shorter than the drool fest over Keith Urban.

Yes, Rod Smith did very well, he's grown into the job this year.  He's quite good now (last year he was weak at PBP).  Suits was miffed every time Bombers made plays, so meh for Suits.  But he was no worse than 2019.

Arkells guy in the booth we all were thinking "oh no, not again!".  But yes, he's a fan, knows the team/players and cared.  And yes, very short.  And they didn't miss cutting away to plays like '19.  I guess TSN has these little chats written into the performer contracts.

Never go full Rider!
TecnoGenius

« Reply #319 on: December 13, 2021, 07:08:39 AM »

Still hate OT in the CFL.

Huh?  Who does OT better?  It's NFL OT that bites, where it's basically the team that wins the toss wins the game if they don't suck.  See: that crap ending to that Patriots/Falcons game.

Never go full Rider!
BlueInCgy

« Reply #320 on: December 13, 2021, 11:30:14 AM »

No way, uh-uh.  There was no luck on this win.  This was grit, belief, even keel morale, and can-do attitude that won this GC.  To be down 12 well into the 4th would eat most teams from the inside out.  The plays that were made in the 4th were astoundingly good.  Rewatch!

There definitely was some luck.  Two bad ST plays by the TiCats.  A somewhat borderline tourist hit call that killed a drive for them. 

That?s not to say the Bombers didn?t play hard when they needed to, but they got some assistance for sure.  The 2nd and 3rd quarter Bombers did not deserve to win.

Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #321 on: December 13, 2021, 12:04:16 PM »

There definitely was some luck.  Two bad ST plays by the TiCats.  A somewhat borderline tourist hit call that killed a drive for them. 

That?s not to say the Bombers didn?t play hard when they needed to, but they got some assistance for sure.  The 2nd and 3rd quarter Bombers did not deserve to win.

I agree we had some good fortune but that unnecessary roughness penalty was not borderline.
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #322 on: December 13, 2021, 12:15:26 PM »

I agree we had some good fortune but that unnecessary roughness penalty was not borderline.
Agreed....and to win any championship game this close....(can't get much closer) you need an element of luck.   In OT we actually lost the coin toss so thereby luck was not in our favour....yet we won the coin toss at the start of the game.    In OT our overall experience and leadership came to the fore.....and Harris saved his best for last with 4 consecutive grinding runs up the gut for crucial first downs leading up to Zach's 2 and 10 TD pass to Darwin Adams....who after being our 4th option at receiver most of the season was our most effective and clutch receiver when it mattered the very most.   There was some banter on this forum, during points of the season where some posters wanted his head....however you need veteran presence in a Grey Cup game and he provided that in spades.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2021, 12:18:06 PM by Lincoln Locomotive » Logged

Happy to be able to watch a rematch of the 2019 game in Hamilton's back yard!
Stretch

« Reply #323 on: December 13, 2021, 12:34:44 PM »

A somewhat borderline textbook tourist hit call that killed a drive for them. 

Fixed that for you.

Money is no object...especially when you have none.
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #324 on: December 13, 2021, 12:43:07 PM »

When reviewing  the tale of the stat sheets, this game was very very even stats wise, hence why we ended up in OT!  Hamilton actually edged us in overall rushing albeit Harris was our main weapon grinding out 80 very tough yards on 18 attempts....saving his best for OT.    Hamilton took 8 penalties to our 4 and that holding call in OT set them in a first and 20 position in OT.   That UR penalty also really hurt them as well.   Turnovers were actually even at 3 apiece so no team really had an edge there....
As MOS said on more than one occasion, the game would likely come down to who won the coin toss which we did...and we elected to take the wind in the 4th quarter.

Happy to be able to watch a rematch of the 2019 game in Hamilton's back yard!
Blue In BC

« Reply #325 on: December 13, 2021, 01:20:39 PM »

You have to be good to be lucky. Both teams created turnovers by great work and film study. There weren't a bunch of free plays for either team. If not for the pass knockdown in regular time we probably lose. If was a great defensive play but so close to going in for a TD.

Another example: The early pick on Demski. If he moved forward a half step or a half step to the right, he potentially prevents the pic and comes up with a reception or PI. OTOH Kelly made a great read and then great return. That wasn't luck on his part. It resulted in a swing in points early in the game. Similar to the pic return in the WDF.

Football is a game of inches and both teams make plays. We made 1 more play than the TiCats when it counted.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
bomb squad

« Reply #326 on: December 13, 2021, 01:42:56 PM »

When reviewing  the tale of the stat sheets, this game was very very even stats wise, hence why we ended up in OT!  Hamilton actually edged us in overall rushing albeit Harris was our main weapon grinding out 80 very tough yards on 18 attempts....saving his best for OT.    Hamilton took 8 penalties to our 4 and that holding call in OT set them in a first and 20 position in OT.   That UR penalty also really hurt them as well.   Turnovers were actually even at 3 apiece so no team really had an edge there....
As MOS said on more than one occasion, the game would likely come down to who won the coin toss which we did...and we elected to take the wind in the 4th quarter.

When did he say that? Sorry, I'm a little skeptical he said that in so many words, but I could be wrong. Did the forecast called for the wind to pick up later in the game? Maybe it did, I don't know. But that's the only way I could see him saying that. Otherwise, the only advantage to winning the coin toss is perhaps the psychological one of having the wind behind you in the last quarter and knowing what you need to do. Conversely, it can backfire on you if the wind dies down, which often it does, especially on a late afternoon to evening game.
The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #327 on: December 13, 2021, 01:58:26 PM »

I couldn't really see the holding call on the Ti-cats in OT...don't care at this point but that was a big play to drive them back.  If i was a Ti-Cat fan I would be wanting to see that one again...

I though Proulx did a decent job calling the game.
BlueInCgy

« Reply #328 on: December 13, 2021, 02:09:45 PM »

I couldn't really see the holding call on the Ti-cats in OT...don't care at this point but that was a big play to drive them back.  If i was a Ti-Cat fan I would be wanting to see that one again...

I though Proulx did a decent job calling the game.

The one on JT?  It was there, but marginal.  You could see his shoulder pads shift as he was trying to get to Jackson, which would indicate he was being held, but it seemed like one of those things that equally could have not been called under the ?let the players play?.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #329 on: December 13, 2021, 02:13:21 PM »

The one on JT?  It was there, but marginal.  You could see his shoulder pads shift as he was trying to get to Jackson, which would indicate he was being held, but it seemed like one of those things that equally could have not been called under the ?let the players play?.

Yeah. I wouldn't have been that upset if they didn't call it. I think it was just because it was right at the point of attack and without the hold Thomas for sure gets a hand on him. Who knows if it would have been enough to change the outcome of the play though.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 29
  Print  

Jump to: