Blue Bombers Forum
August 12, 2022, 05:01:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: "I needed that to happen that night" | Couture on grief, joy and pain  (Read 444 times)
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« on: December 03, 2021, 03:16:35 PM »

"I needed that to happen that night" | Couture on grief, joy and pain - Ed Tait

Michael Couture has a story to tell. It?s a tale about joy, about pain and about battling through all the various stages of grief. It's about fathers and sons, about the bond of teammates and those snapshot moments in a football career that can be forever cemented into a man's memory banks.

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers centre also wants it to be a story which reminds everyone not to take for granted the little things in life - things like running out of the tunnel for Sunday's Western Final against the Saskatchewan Roughriders.

"It's going to be fun. That's going to be a special moment for me," began Couture in a chat with bluebombers.com this week. "And I can't wait to do it with the guys we have in our room. I'm so excited to do it with them and for them."

Let's rewind to just over two years ago for some context... It was October 25, 2019, and the first start for Zach Collaros at quarterback for the Bombers - a game at IG Field which ended in dramatic fashion as the club rallied for a 29-28 victory.

Couture, unfortunately, wasn't on the field at the end of the game after having suffered a high-ankle tear and medial ligament tear in his ankle in the fourth quarter. And so, his promising first season as the centre of the Bombers' dominant offensive line - he had started all 18 games after Matthias Goossen had retired - was over before the club's epic playoff run had even started. The news, incredibly, got worse later that night. Calling home to tell his father Dan that he was going to need season-ending surgery, his dad had his own devastating news to deliver: the cancer he was fighting was terminal.....

More on Michael Couture's story is here!

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: