Blue Bombers Forum
October 01, 2022, 01:27:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]
  Print  
Author Topic: Official Game Day Thread - Winnipeg at Montreal November 13, 2021  (Read 11426 times)
Blue In BC

« Reply #180 on: November 14, 2021, 01:22:38 PM »

This is a failed strategy. Resting the players and not finishing the season the way they are capable is going to hurt. Firstly it's a 14 game season so the rest may not be as critical. Far more importantly is the fact that they have stopped winning, they have broken their streak of wins and records such as the defensive 4th quarter domination which has an effect on the mental state of the entire team regardless of the fact that they weren't using all their starters. Taking your foot off the accelerator at this point of the season is a mistake. I get the risk of potential injury, etc but the greater risk is going into the Western Final following (potentially) two consecutive loses is a greater risk. Winnipeg will meet Saskatchewan in the final IMO and my fear is that we will not be in the Grey Cup. I anticipate and welcome all the criticism but that's how I feel.

It's a tough decision to sit regulars and essentially play a pre season game with so many changes. A great win / loss during the season is important and I never like to see a performance like yesterday at any time. OTOH if we played Collaros and he was seriously injured we be saying the exact opposite.

Who knows whether we'd have had any injuries yesterday to starters if they had played? Same for next week but I think we'll see most regulars return for the 1st half. Winning would be nice. Having a good performance is the bare minimum needed while staying healthy.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
bomb squad

« Reply #181 on: November 14, 2021, 02:25:12 PM »

This is a failed strategy. Resting the players and not finishing the season the way they are capable is going to hurt. Firstly it's a 14 game season so the rest may not be as critical. Far more importantly is the fact that they have stopped winning, they have broken their streak of wins and records such as the defensive 4th quarter domination which has an effect on the mental state of the entire team regardless of the fact that they weren't using all their starters. Taking your foot off the accelerator at this point of the season is a mistake. I get the risk of potential injury, etc but the greater risk is going into the Western Final following (potentially) two consecutive loses is a greater risk. Winnipeg will meet Saskatchewan in the final IMO and my fear is that we will not be in the Grey Cup. I anticipate and welcome all the criticism but that's how I feel.

I agree insofar the strategy didn't work out as planned. I think O'Shea genuinely believed we would still win this game or at the very least make it real close. This performance against Montreal while resting players gets us off track, it just feels like it and it's not good at all. Now we don't even have a motivated Calgary team to play against next week to try and get us back on track. This isn't a good situation. This is looking like 2001 deja vu. In my mind, the winner of the WSF has an advantage over us. We're stuck with it now though, so the only thing to do is hope that we can somehow overcome this. I really hope I'm out to lunch on this and I don't mind anybody telling me I am.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2021, 02:44:22 PM by bomb squad » Logged
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #182 on: November 14, 2021, 03:28:08 PM »

I agree insofar the strategy didn't work out as planned. I think O'Shea genuinely believed we would still win this game or at the very least make it real close. This performance against Montreal while resting players gets us off track, it just feels like it and it's not good at all. Now we don't even have a motivated Calgary team to play against next week to try and get us back on track. This isn't a good situation. This is looking like 2001 deja vu. In my mind, the winner of the WSF has an advantage over us. We're stuck with it now though, so the only thing to do is hope that we can somehow overcome this. I really hope I'm out to lunch on this and I don't mind anybody telling me I am.
Im also feeling this in the pit of my stomach.....there were just too many changes I feel to make us competitive in this game and McGuire is what he is....a short yardage back up.    I mean, they spotted us a TD on the opening KO and we had the lead for a short time.    That first pick McGuire threw set the tone....and we gave Montreal good field position all game long.    Then the fumbled punt really hurt us.   Was wondering why Nelson wasn't play because Cooper is not a returner.   Nelson at least doesn't fight the ball and is reliable albeit not explosive.    When we got off to that great start I was thinking....hey maybe we can do this but that idea was soon forgotten.....we just can't seem to find a good number 2 QB that can actually win a game for us.   Streveler was an exception to this albeit his record as a starter wasn't great but he did give us a chance.   He did manage to start and actually won the second game of the season 56-10 over Montreal.   

Happy to be able to watch a rematch of the 2019 game in Hamilton's back yard!
Blue In BC

« Reply #183 on: November 14, 2021, 06:07:20 PM »

Im also feeling this in the pit of my stomach.....there were just too many changes I feel to make us competitive in this game and McGuire is what he is....a short yardage back up.    I mean, they spotted us a TD on the opening KO and we had the lead for a short time.    That first pick McGuire threw set the tone....and we gave Montreal good field position all game long.    Then the fumbled punt really hurt us.   Was wondering why Nelson wasn't play because Cooper is not a returner.   Nelson at least doesn't fight the ball and is reliable albeit not explosive.    When we got off to that great start I was thinking....hey maybe we can do this but that idea was soon forgotten.....we just can't seem to find a good number 2 QB that can actually win a game for us.   Streveler was an exception to this albeit his record as a starter wasn't great but he did give us a chance.   He did manage to start and actually won the second game of the season 56-10 over Montreal.  

I think this was just a decision to give some PR players game time and game pay check.  I don't believe there was any thought that Cooper was better than Nelson. Nelson is obviously not as good as Grant but he's the next man up in the play offs if Grant is injured next week or WDF.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #184 on: November 14, 2021, 06:29:15 PM »

I think this was just a decision to give some PR players game time and game pay check.  I don't believe there was any thought that Cooper was better than Nelson. Nelson is obviously not as good as Grant but he's the next man up in the play offs if Grant is injured next week or WDF.

yeah....thinking Cooper needs an apple and a road map after that debut....Nelson is reliable and rarely coughs up the ball.    Returning punts is a special skill set unto itself....not easy

Happy to be able to watch a rematch of the 2019 game in Hamilton's back yard!
Tiger

« Reply #185 on: November 14, 2021, 08:26:21 PM »

yeah....thinking Cooper needs an apple and a road map after that debut....Nelson is reliable and rarely coughs up the ball.    Returning punts is a special skill set unto itself....not easy

Cooper made me miss reliable and plodding reliant k car Chuckie Nelson.

Football is easy if you're crazy as hell
 Bo Jackson

We are inclined to think that if we watch a football game or a baseball game, we have taken part in it
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

BC Sucks
Tiger
ichabod_crane

« Reply #186 on: November 15, 2021, 07:30:34 AM »

They will lay a licking to Calgary to end the season. I expected a better effort. Defence played OK considering Montreal had more time of possession. McGuire did not read the field at all well outside the one drive. Back to kicker holder and short yardage QB. Look for other prospects for next season although we never got to see the other QB at all. No idea what he is like.

COOPER...see yah! Bumbled way too many kicks/punts. The "Full" Nelson maybe can't break on, but has sure hands. He keeps his backup job on the roster for this year.

Kongbo had a good game. Two sacks I believe. An underrated player I believe. He could start at DE for several other teams I think.

Rose blew a few coverages on his receivers, although they are Montreal's best receivers.

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]
  Print  

Jump to: