Blue Bombers Forum
August 19, 2022, 09:31:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Canadian Receivers  (Read 3818 times)
Austin85

« on: November 07, 2021, 04:40:06 PM »

We need better canadian receivers  not saying Demski is not good he is great  but Woli is ok We need somone like the bombers used to have like Joe Pop , Rick House ,Gerald Alphin, Gord Patterson. We could use somone to complement Denski, especially in case of injuries.

BigBlueCrew

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2021, 05:26:24 PM »

It?s takes like this that prove people have no clue what they?re talking about. Demski is #8 in the league in receiving yards. He?s a star. Woli is a very good possession receiver and important blocker. You need balance and we certainly have it.
KINGCHARLES

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2021, 05:36:58 PM »

We need better canadian receivers  not saying Demski is not good he is great  but Woli is ok We need somone like the bombers used to have like Joe Pop , Rick House ,Gerald Alphin, Gord Patterson. We could use somone to complement Denski, especially in case of injuries.

Demski is the best Canadian WR in the CFL. Has potential to be one of the Bombers all-time great Canadian WR?s. Wolitarsky is amazing when needed and he?s the perfect compliment. If we weren?t so loaded on offence, Wolitarsky would be targeted more

BEASTS OF THE EAST

I DON'T BRAKE FOR RIDER FANS
Austin85

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2021, 05:55:34 PM »

I apologize for this post I guess I was over thinking  the situation.
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2021, 06:24:50 PM »

not only are we blessed with an all star Canadian receiver in Demski we are also blessed with an all star running back in Harris.    Woli has made several clutch catches and is an excellent blocker.   For once in quite a long while we have two very very good Canadian receivers and three very very good Canadian RBs.    We are the envy of the league.    So yeah....you might be overthinking this or missing the point completely.  I've never ever seen as much Canadian depth on the Bomber roster especially on offence, in over 60 years as a Bomber fan!   

Happy to be able to watch a rematch of the 2019 game in Hamilton's back yard!
pjrocksmb

#1D+ Hall is boss

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2021, 06:46:13 PM »

Just like in Aug lol.  But good on you for realizing your mistake.

Our recievers our not as good as everyone thinks. Lawler average,  Demski good but injured, Bailey shouldn't be on the team, McKnight should take Bailey's spot.  Woli is under used  Adam's is our best. We need taller recievers.

Our depth at receiver overall is good to great.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2021, 12:30:48 AM by pjrocksmb » Logged

I don't follow the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
the paw

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2021, 08:08:39 PM »

Never apologize for having an opinion, its only sports for crying out loud.

In fact, while it is true that Demski is the best CDN receiver in the league, it is also true that after the underutilized Woli, we are quite thin at receiver.

SK has Schaefer-Baker and Lenius, but they also have Picton, McInnis and Jana behind them.

BC has Shaq Johnson, (also under utilized) Lemar Durant, and Cottoy.

Calgary doesn't have one great CDN receiver, but they have a ton of depth:  Sidani, Hunchak, Hakunavantu, Malik Henry, and Malaya.

Every one of those three teams is deeper than us.  If Demski ever got an injury, our offence would be seriously hamstrung.

grab grass 'n growl
dd

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2021, 09:12:28 PM »

I wouldn?t say our depth at receiver is great. We have McKnight and Roosevelt for depth at our int receiver spot, but who is our Nat depth receivers??? We used to have peterman but we let him get away.
ichabod_crane

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2021, 10:32:28 PM »

In fact, while it is true that Demski is the best CDN receiver in the league, it is also true that after the underutilized Woli, we are quite thin at receiver.

SK has Schaefer-Baker and Lenius, but they also have Picton, McInnis and Jana behind them.

Calgary doesn't have one great CDN receiver, but they have a ton of depth:  Sidani, Hunchak, Hakunavantu, Malik Henry, and Malaya.

Every one of those three teams is deeper than us.  If Demski ever got an injury, our offence would be seriously hamstrung.

For what Lemar Durant is making, he is VERY OVER-RATED! Has never lived up to his potential although can be a decent receiver. Playing on a BAD offensive team and a QB who no longer has time to throw or maybe the accuracy to throw the deep ball anymore. Much like that Simonize receiver who keeps bouncing around that the Bombers selected with a late draft pick several years ago. Everyone said he had tons of potential, but has never lived up to it to now. Think he is kicking around out East somewhere, maybe the Argos?

I would throw in Gerald Wilcox as being one of their best Canadian receivers the Bombers ever had. Gerald Alphin was an import, but maybe you mixed up the Geralds! Wink  Alphin's best receiving years were actually with the Ottawa Rough Riders.

Bombers have backup Canuck receivers, we just have no clue what they can do yet. What I notice is O'Shea likes to really load up on Canuck defensive players for special teams cover and return teams. They are always very over-weighted to that end if you examine their rosters every week.

Gord Patterson was not a world breaking receiver really. He was good for a Canadian receiver at the time he played, but would not even be a backup today possibly. Poplawski was a natural athlete. Very durable and sure handed. Rick House as well, but he was shorter. A gamer for sure though.  Had deceptive speed. Pop, House, Boyd and Murphy were a scary receiving core. Willard in the backfield with a fullback. 5 or 6 pack receiver sets were very uncommon back in the 1980's.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2021, 06:15:19 AM »

Any sightings of Brendan O?Leary-Orange on Sat?  I didn't notice if he played or not.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2021, 06:54:25 AM »

Demski is the best Canadian WR in the CFL. Has potential to be one of the Bombers all-time great Canadian WR?s. Wolitarsky is amazing when needed and he?s the perfect compliment. If we weren?t so loaded on offence, Wolitarsky would be targeted more

I may not be putting enough thought into this, but it seems to me Demski is the leading candidate for Most Outstanding Canadian this season.  Can't even think of who his biggest competitors might be.
dizzycamper

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2021, 12:01:25 PM »

Any sightings of Brendan O?Leary-Orange on Sat?  I didn't notice if he played or not.

Was out there, in uniform (#84) during the warm ups prior to the game.
the paw

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2021, 12:41:14 PM »

I may not be putting enough thought into this, but it seems to me Demski is the leading candidate for Most Outstanding Canadian this season.  Can't even think of who his biggest competitors might be.

Jordan Williams and Bo Lokombo are both having great years.  Williams has more tackles, but Lokombo has 3 INTs and 4 sacks.

It would be hard to pick a Redblack, and his stats don't jump off the sheet, but I think Cleyon Laing has a good chance of coming out of the East.

grab grass 'n growl
GCn19

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2021, 01:15:23 PM »

Our NAT starting receivers are as good as any starting group in the league but we do need some depth for sure. Bringing back Petey this offseason might be something we look at.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2021, 02:05:32 PM »

Okay -- who would you like us to sign?
GCn19

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2021, 02:41:43 PM »

Okay -- who would you like us to sign?

I am sure KSB will be looking to get out of Regina first chance he gets, but he still has another year to go before he can bolt.

Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2021, 03:23:08 PM »

Jordan Williams and Bo Lokombo are both having great years.  Williams has more tackles, but Lokombo has 3 INTs and 4 sacks.

It would be hard to pick a Redblack, and his stats don't jump off the sheet, but I think Cleyon Laing has a good chance of coming out of the East.

I could see Jordan Williams but they usually give it to dynamic offensive player and Demski is a bright shining star, don't think they would give it to Cleyon as he has the reputation of being a dirty dog in the trenches. Bombers certainly won't sweep the awards but I expect them to pick up the majority of the hardware.  MOP, MODP are locks.
blue_or_die

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2021, 03:26:35 PM »

This thread would make a lot of sense if we are talking depth. Starters are fantastic but I have concerns about the folks behind them. I would love to get Petermann back or draft a blue chipper to learn the ropes for a few years.

Demski is a talented utilitarian who can do it all, from working out of the backfield to catching the deep ball and breaking or deking tackles in the medium plays.

Woli is a great role player who is a possession receiver and fantastic blocker. I disagree with folks who think he's under-utilized because he rarely gets chances but when he does he excels; rather, I think the cause-and-effect are linked. He's a fabulous 5th receiver and I think we are utilizing him very well for what he brings to the table. That said, a few extra targets a game wouldn't hurt. And, he's a heck of a personality.

Back2Back Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
GCn19

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2021, 03:40:34 PM »

This thread would make a lot of sense if we are talking depth. Starters are fantastic but I have concerns about the folks behind them. I would love to get Petermann back or draft a blue chipper to learn the ropes for a few years.

Demski is a talented utilitarian who can do it all, from working out of the backfield to catching the deep ball and breaking or deking tackles in the medium plays.

Woli is a great role player who is a possession receiver and fantastic blocker. I disagree with folks who think he's under-utilized because he rarely gets chances but when he does he excels; rather, I think the cause-and-effect are linked. He's a fabulous 5th receiver and I think we are utilizing him very well for what he brings to the table. That said, a few extra targets a game wouldn't hurt. And, he's a heck of a personality.

Woli's touches are about right. I wouldn't want our field WR targeted more than a few times a game.

Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2021, 03:45:37 PM »

Woli is safe because of his passport and his work ethic, he's a great fit for the team and won't be replaced anytime soon.  I doubt Petey wants to come back to stand on the sidelines, they have to find young players that are content to wait for their turn, maybe O'Leary-Orange is that guy.  I wouldn't be surprised if James Tyrrell is also invited back to camp next season for another crack.
GCn19

« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2021, 07:07:10 PM »

Woli is safe because of his passport and his work ethic, he's a great fit for the team and won't be replaced anytime soon.  I doubt Petey wants to come back to stand on the sidelines, they have to find young players that are content to wait for their turn, maybe O'Leary-Orange is that guy.  I wouldn't be surprised if James Tyrrell is also invited back to camp next season for another crack.

Petey is sitting on the Ottawa PR right now. Sitting on our sidelines would be a massive upgrade for him.

dd

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2021, 11:04:34 PM »

Petey is sitting on the Ottawa PR right now. Sitting on our sidelines would be a massive upgrade for him.
Massive, massive upgrade. He is in football hell right now and would probably jump at the chance to come back to an environment where your team is respected and your organization isn't a gong show.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2021, 11:28:57 AM »

Wolitarsky is fine. He's not the world's flashiest receiver but he fills a role. A classic ratio rule guy (although at the higher end of that category). There's only so many targets to go around and as long as they're healthy we're better off giving a few extra looks to Lawler, Bailey and Demski. Sometimes too many mouths to feed isn't better. 
GCn19

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2021, 01:04:49 PM »

Wolitarsky is fine. He's not the world's flashiest receiver but he fills a role. A classic ratio rule guy (although at the higher end of that category). There's only so many targets to go around and as long as they're healthy we're better off giving a few extra looks to Lawler, Bailey and Demski. Sometimes too many mouths to feed isn't better. 

Woli is your classic 5th receiver. If we wanted to get more touches for him we probably could but with the trio you mentioned above we really don't need to do so. If a team somehow figures out how to shut down our big 3 it will leave Woli having a big day....and he's capable of that.

blue_gold_84

GC108 Champions!

« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2021, 02:04:48 PM »

Demski is a major part of the success on offense. Wolitarsky has had a strong season in a depth role, even with quieter production than previous seasons.

I'm not sure what the depth is like at NAT WR but there's no cause for concern at this point, IMO.

#forthew
#defendthecup

Back-to-back Grey Cup Champions!

Slava Ukraini!
GCn19

« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2021, 02:20:44 PM »

Demski is a major part of the success on offense. Wolitarsky has had a strong season in a depth role, even with quieter production than previous seasons.

I'm not sure what the depth is like at NAT WR but there's no cause for concern at this point, IMO.

With basically our entire team coming up for FA this year I don't see it as a priority this offseason either. Walters will have his work cut out for him. Everyone in the league is going to want a piece of our roster.

pjrocksmb

#1D+ Hall is boss

« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2021, 07:10:21 PM »

With basically our entire team coming up for FA this year I don't see it as a priority this offseason either. Walters will have his work cut out for him. Everyone in the league is going to want a piece of our roster.
Yup, we will lose a few gems to higher offers or those wanting to relocate.  We did a great job for years keeping tje core and I hope it continues but I see a little change comming.  Good thing we draft and scout well.

I don't follow the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2021, 07:22:23 PM »

Yup, we will lose a few gems to higher offers or those wanting to relocate.  We did a great job for years keeping tje core and I hope it continues but I see a little change comming.  Good thing we draft and scout well.

In the next two years I can possibly see losing Bryant 35 and Hardrick 31 to retirement, hopefully they don't both decide to retire in the same year.  Those would be some big shoes to fill.
DM83

« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2021, 07:38:03 AM »

Scary to think about those two cornerstones not being here. So keep on playing. Smiley
ichabod_crane

« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2021, 09:28:12 PM »

In the next two years I can possibly see losing Bryant 35 and Hardrick 31 to retirement, hopefully they don't both decide to retire in the same year.  Those would be some big shoes to fill.

They first want a Michael Jordan 3-peat! Wink Then they can hang them up. Hardrick has many years left if he wants to keep playing at only 31. Bryant has never missed a game as a Bomber. These guys could maybe play until 40 if they remain healthy.
BLUEBOMBER

« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2021, 11:12:36 PM »

Can never have enough Cdn depth in any position.
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2021, 01:38:43 AM »

They first want a Michael Jordan 3-peat! Wink Then they can hang them up. Hardrick has many years left if he wants to keep playing at only 31. Bryant has never missed a game as a Bomber. These guys could maybe play until 40 if they remain healthy.
um no, no Oline will ever last even close to 40. Do not be silly. I will take a back to back to start with. Please let?s not get ahead of reality. Thanks Itchy.

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
ichabod_crane

« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2021, 07:23:03 AM »

um no, no Oline will ever last even close to 40. Do not be silly. I will take a back to back to start with. Please let?s not get ahead of reality. Thanks Itchy.

I beg to differ. Chris Walby played until he was 40: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Walby

Miles Gorrell played to 41: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miles_Gorrell

Llyod Fairbanks made it to 38: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lloyd_Fairbanks

I think bigger in weight tall guys can tough it out longer. Maybe tackles more possible that interior lineman. Requires some luck and no major injuries in their careers.

Goldie, you have to remember I have been around longer than you and have a steel trap mind at times on such things! Wink Not that lineman can play to 40 or later often....but some guys can push it to 40. Moreso o-lineman that D-lineman as less need for speed.
Pigskin

« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2021, 07:49:00 AM »

Agreed, let's get the back to back first. Lot's of work left to do in 2021.

Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.
dd

« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2021, 11:50:05 PM »

It?s one thing to be eyeing up 40 and playing on a team that stinks, and another thing to be coming to 40 and your team is the league power house. Bryant came here when the Stamps where tops in the league and he was our first step towards respectability.

I can realistically see him, Hardrick and our other O linemen playing until they?re 40. Heck Bluto and Miles Gorilla did it!!!
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2021, 11:56:30 PM »

I beg to differ. Chris Walby played until he was 40: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Walby

Miles Gorrell played to 41: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miles_Gorrell

Llyod Fairbanks made it to 38: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lloyd_Fairbanks

I think bigger in weight tall guys can tough it out longer. Maybe tackles more possible that interior lineman. Requires some luck and no major injuries in their careers.

Goldie, you have to remember I have been around longer than you and have a steel trap mind at times on such things! Wink Not that lineman can play to 40 or later often....but some guys can push it to 40. Moreso o-lineman that D-lineman as less need for speed.
alright, but I think you catch my drift. You must of been smoking that BC crazy shyt posting that crazy.

Gorrell should have retired much sooner. That boy was 8 months prego those last couple years.

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: