Blue Bombers Forum
August 19, 2022, 11:17:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: We better pray Collaros doesn't get injured  (Read 4070 times)
Austin85

« on: October 24, 2021, 02:44:59 PM »

I hope Zach doesn't get injured, or we have a 2007 situation all over again.  Maybe Walters should sign a more experienced back up, instead of other positions.  Nothing against  our backup,  he needs reps this would spoil a great season, if something happens, to the quarterback position.
Austin85

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2021, 02:46:59 PM »

Maybe Walters should find a better experienced back up instead of other positions?
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2021, 02:50:07 PM »

No now is the time to see what McGuire has. Has has been here for years and has a deep roster to work with. Time to see if he can throw accurately.

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
theaardvark

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2021, 03:00:59 PM »

I hope Zach doesn't get injured, or we have a 2007 situation all over again.  Maybe Walters should sign a more experienced back up, instead of other positions.  Nothing against  our backup,  he needs reps this would spoil a great season, if something happens, to the quarterback position.

Who out there would be even close to McGuire in knowing our systems and being capable?  Matt Nichols? Dom Davis? List ends about there, and do we want Matty or Dom as our option?    

With First wrapped up, I can see Collaros getting a quarter or even a half each game going forward, and McGuire getting the rest.  Collaros need to "keep his hand in" so that he doesn't get rusty or lose his timing...  but you need to protect him, and get McGuire live reps.  Same in practice... split reps 50/50, reduce unnecessary wear and tear on Collaros...

I really, really, really hope that the Bomber brain trust figures this out...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Blue In BC

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2021, 03:03:41 PM »

Injuries can derail any team and the Bombers are no different. Collaros, Demski in particular are critical on Offence. On defence I guess Bighill would be the biggest loss. That said we could name a dozen other players we can't replace on either side of the ball.

That's the key going into the playoffs, staying healthy.

We should be giving some back ups more playing time. There are a multitude of reasons for doing that not to mention many of our starters have been nursing nagging injuries for many games.

McGuire could be the next good young QB. His advantage is knowing the system and being surrounded by excellent talent. Add in a defence that doesn't put them in a bad spot needing to come from behind and he has a chance to make mistakes but still be successful.

I've never seen him practice so it's all speculation how he'd do given an opportunity. I don't want to find out going into the Grey Cup if Collaros is injured in the WDF for example. Get him some more reps in the next 3 games.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 03:07:47 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

2019 Grey Cup Champions
BlueInCgy

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2021, 03:17:34 PM »

As much as I hate saying this, if he?s off the IR, pick up Nichols as insurance.  This defence could win the big game under a dink and dunk Nichols offence.  Can?t say the same for McGuire, simply because he doesn?t have the reps to base it off.
Blue In BC

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2021, 03:23:16 PM »

As much as I hate saying this, if he?s off the IR, pick up Nichols as insurance.  This defence could win the big game under a dink and dunk Nichols offence.  Can?t say the same for McGuire, simply because he doesn?t have the reps to base it off.

No. Even if he comes off the IR he'd still be under contract so he's not available. Nichols prior to injury in 2019 might be valuable. It doesn't appear he has what he had before that injury to his throwing shoulder.

Harris might have been a better choice with a trade with the Elks and I don't believe we entertained that. He doesn't seem to " fit " our locker room.  So we're going to have to go with those on the roster at this point in the season.

Trade deadline is this week?

2019 Grey Cup Champions
dd

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2021, 04:10:15 PM »

Injuries can happen to anyone in any game, but Collaros plays a smart game and our O line protected him well. I think he plays the first 3 quarters in the remaining games and macquire gets the 4th quarter reps. The focus will be on getting everyone back to full strength?Harris,Demski and Hardrick and work on executing and don?t take any crazy risks.
bwiser

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2021, 04:13:13 PM »

I would bring back Nichols in a minute. The Bombers with this defense could win a cup with Nichols in charge. Nichols knows the offense and is good at protecting the ball.
dd

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2021, 04:21:56 PM »

Until there is an injury,I don?t see Walters bringing in anyone. We ll get Collaros his reps to keep him crisp and the offense firing on all cylinders, then Mcquire gets game reps in the 4th quarterof the remaining games.
BlueInCgy

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2021, 04:25:18 PM »

Until there is an injury,I don?t see Walters bringing in anyone. We ll get Collaros his reps to keep him crisp and the offense firing on all cylinders, then Mcquire gets game reps in the 4th quarterof the remaining games.

Problem with that is after the 27th, he can?t trade for anyone. 
Blue In BC

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2021, 04:30:50 PM »

I would bring back Nichols in a minute. The Bombers with this defense could win a cup with Nichols in charge. Nichols knows the offense and is good at protecting the ball.

Nichols pre injury 2019 yes, post injury no. I don't think he'll come off the 6 game IR this season. Ottawa will be saving SMS and checking out rookie QB's for 2022.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
Blue In BC

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2021, 05:48:45 PM »

On a positive note, our defence has the ability to keep up in tight games even when our offence has struggled at times. Whether that was due to games where Demski, Adams, Harris or Lawler were no in the game or the opponents defence was playing well.

So if it becomes necessary for McGuire to play some portion of some games, he doesn't have to be as good as Collaros. A modified game plan and our talent will still make big plays. All he has to do is limit mistakes and take what is there.

All of that is true whether he's the next great QB. The team has the ability to overcome mistakes made.

To that end I have no doubt we can win with McGuire if we need to.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
ichabod_crane

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2021, 06:18:05 PM »

Nichols pre injury 2019 yes, post injury no. I don't think he'll come off the 6 game IR this season. Ottawa will be saving SMS and checking out rookie QB's for 2022.

I completely agree. Did anyone see Nichols play this season? He was terrible although not all his fault with a VERY BAD Ottawa team around him. Still he was a pale imitation of his former self. His career might be even over. Dominque Davis? Pass. Those two guys are pure stop gaps if you have nobody else available.

A guy like McGuire who has been in Buck's system for a year and on this team for at least 2-3 years I have more faith in. He beat out all the other wannabe backups in training camp too. He lofted a good bomb one game. Give him more passing reps in these final 3 games so we can judge what skills he really has. That will determine if we TRULY need a better backup QB for next year. He is also money on those goal line plunges and short yardage situations as he is a big strong guy.

I think Collaros will play at least a half and into the 3rd quarter for these next 3 games. Maybe even longer in that last game vs Calgary. I think it will all depend on the score and momentum of the game. Think these guys want to win out even if first place is wrapped. Collaros may even go out for a while over the game, but if they are in a close game he maybe comes back in. All depends on how much they value the win vs being safe.

Certainly anyone who can risk further injury don't even dress or take the out of the game if it occurs during the game. Don't want to upset chemistry too much going into the playoffs though.
pjrocksmb

#1D+ Hall is boss

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2021, 07:36:20 PM »

Roll the dice and hope for the best and give McGuire plenty of reps
« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 02:28:25 AM by pjrocksmb » Logged

I don't follow the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
ichabod_crane

« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2021, 08:09:31 PM »

Roll the dice and rope for the best and give McGuire plent of reps

They have been rolling the dice ALL year and it keeps coming up 7's or 11's (a craps reference)! Wink Collaros has taken some shots all year, but none to the head really. If not for the cheap shot he took in early 2019, he may still be playing in Sask for all we know. He keeps on chucking and ducking when needed and with the Bombers great o-line, he is less worried about himself and more about getting the ball to his receivers. He is also almost always sliding if he does run. In the playoffs he may stretch out more if they need a crucial first down. One and done season you need to let it ALL hang out! Wink Even that potential pick 6 gift he threw to that Edmonton db the other game, he came right back and burned them the next play.

I also think we need to commend Buck Pierce for utilizing the offensive talent on this team very well. He has been tinkering all year with improvements each game I am sure. They are spreading the ball around to everyone which keeps defences on their toes. They don't know where the next pass is going or where the run is coming from. O-Line manhandling the other defence often too which helps. Collaros got a true second life coming to this team, a fresh outlook  on his career. Probably the biggest trade for this team since the Brock for Clements trade in 1983. Tommy was dying out in Hamilton at the time. Similar to the Bombers he came to Winnipeg and was rejuvenated behind a good offensive line. Sounds very similar to Collaros although Clements did not lead the team to the GC until the next year.
pjrocksmb

#1D+ Hall is boss

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2021, 08:13:09 PM »

They have been rolling the dice ALL year and it keeps coming up 7's or 11's (a craps reference)! Wink Collaros has taken some shots all year, but none to the head really. If not for the cheap shot he took in early 2019, he may still be playing in Sask for all we know. He keeps on chucking and ducking when needed and with the Bombers great o-line, he is less worried about himself and more about getting the ball to his receivers. He is also almost always sliding if he does run. In the playoffs he may stretch out more if they need a crucial first down. One and done season you need to let it ALL hang out! Wink Even that potential pick 6 gift he threw to that Edmonton db the other game, he came right back and burned them the next play.

I also think we need to commend Buck Pierce for utilizing the offensive talent on this team very well. He has been tinkering all year with improvements each game I am sure. They are spreading the ball around to everyone which keeps defences on their toes. They don't know where the next pass is going or where the run is coming from. O-Line manhandling the other defence often too which helps. Collaros got a true second life coming to this team, a fresh outlook  on his career. Probably the biggest trade for this team since the Brock for Clements trade in 1983. Tommy was dying out in Hamilton at the time. Similar to the Bombers he came to Winnipeg and was rejuvenated behind a good offensive line. Sounds very similar to Collaros although Clements did not lead the team to the GC until the next year.
Agree about our offense, we spread the love around and make the other team hate us for that lol.

I don't follow the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
TBURGESS

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2021, 08:14:38 PM »

Gotta say, I wasn't happy with the play calling early in the year, but Buck's come around.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.
blue_gold_84

GC108 Champions!

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2021, 12:21:44 PM »

Absolutely not. 2021 Nichols is a shell of his former self.

#forthew
#defendthecup

Back-to-back Grey Cup Champions!

Slava Ukraini!
Sec227

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2021, 01:29:23 PM »

Agreed, I don't think Matt throws another ball in the CFL. Couple of the new guys around the league Marier, Shitltz wtc have shown they may have some longevity. AND run the ball. Cheaper alternaitives for teams.
ichabod_crane

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2021, 01:30:06 AM »

Nichols may get one more kick at the can next season if he can actually recover fully from his injuries, but he will need to start as the backup at best. NO WAY he can demand starter's money anymore. Heavily incentive laden at best or pure backup salary. He needs to learn from Kevin Glenn to extend his career.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2021, 02:27:27 AM »

Nichols may get one more kick at the can next season if he can actually recover fully from his injuries, but he will need to start as the backup at best. NO WAY he can demand starter's money anymore. Heavily incentive laden at best or pure backup salary. He needs to learn from Kevin Glenn to extend his career.

If healthy do you not think Nichols would emerge from camp as the starter?  I'd bet money he'd come out on top.
Jesse

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2021, 02:36:46 AM »

What a garbage thread.

?Wouldn?t it suck if our good players were injured??

?Yeah, we better hope that doesn?t happen?

Like?..what?

My wife is amazing!
blue_gold_84

GC108 Champions!

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2021, 12:36:07 PM »

Sure, he may get another look in the CFL but that depends on a few factors. It won't be here in Winnipeg, though - which was my point.

What a garbage thread.

Like?..what?

This. It applies to literally every team in the league.

"bEtTeR pRaY!" Cheesy

#forthew
#defendthecup

Slava Ukraini!
BLUEBOMBER

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2021, 12:41:31 AM »

Clearly McGuire isn't a number 1. He's a good 3rd and short QB. If Collaros goes down, we better have a shut out since our field goal kicker sucks...
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2021, 01:08:25 AM »

Clearly McGuire isn't a number 1. He's a good 3rd and short QB. If Collaros goes down, we better have a shut out since our field goal kicker sucks...
ah nice to make your presence smelt!

dd

« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2021, 01:09:58 AM »

I don't think it's a garbage thread and not all teams are affected the same if their #1 Qb gets hurt. Calgary would be fine, as Hamilton , Montreal and toronto. Ottawa , BC and Edmonton who cares.

It highlights the importance 1 player plays on this team and if he gets hurt, no way we win it. Harris is hurt, we roll on. Lawler say out, we lived. Collaros is out , we are done. That said, I don't think he does get hurt, and we thank our lucky stars.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 01:13:18 AM by dd » Logged
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2021, 03:04:44 AM »

I don't think it's a garbage thread and not all teams are affected the same if their #1 Qb gets hurt. Calgary would be fine, as Hamilton , Montreal and toronto. Ottawa , BC and Edmonton who cares.

It highlights the importance 1 player plays on this team and if he gets hurt, no way we win it. Harris is hurt, we roll on. Lawler say out, we lived. Collaros is out , we are done. That said, I don't think he does get hurt, and we thank our lucky stars.
Well... we almost beat the Riders in the 07' Cup with Dinwiddie who didn't have any reps going into that game....and our D is vastly superior to that one.    I'm trying to remain optimistic here.    With the year Zach is having it would be tragic if he couldn't go all the way to the final whistle on December 4th!

Happy to be able to watch a rematch of the 2019 game in Hamilton's back yard!
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2021, 03:20:21 AM »

Well... we almost beat the Riders in the 07' Cup with Dinwiddie who didn't have any reps going into that game....and our D is vastly superior to that one.    I'm trying to remain optimistic here.    With the year Zach is having it would be tragic if he couldn't go all the way to the final whistle on December 4th!

Exactly the thought that went through my mind (regarding Dinwiddie and the 2007 Grey Cup).  No one can say Sean McGuire cannot be a #1 QB in this league.  No one can say if we lost Zach Collaros to injury the team would be toast.  The same people that brought this team to win the GC in 2019 are the same people deemed McGuire was going to be our #2 this season, backing up our starting QB should he get injured.

I think I'll put my faith in the Blue Bomber player decision-makers for the time being.

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
Sec227

« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2021, 12:28:30 PM »

I still think the only thing preventing, at least, a Grey Cup appearance this year. Are the kickers.  Windy IGF on Dec.05...
Blue In BC

« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2021, 12:30:20 PM »

Hopefully we're in a position to give McGuire some meaningful game time in the next 3 games. One, in order to prepare him to play should the need to play occur. Secondly to give Collaros some time to recover from the wear and tear players deal with during the season. The less time he's on the field the less time he's at risk of any injury.

Obviously it's a slippery slope with no exact path. Players can get injured on the 1st play or the last play of any game. They can get injured in practice as well. This applies to every single player on the roster.

On the positive side our OL has been pretty good in protecting Collaros. On the negative side, Collaros does at times take longer to allow a play to develop. That's what makes him so good but he has taken some hits we wish he avoided.

We'll see how things go over the next 3 games. No injury to any player is a good thing, especially going into the playoffs.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
Blue In BC

« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2021, 12:32:25 PM »

I still think the only thing preventing, at least, a Grey Cup appearance this year. Are the kickers.  Windy IGF on Dec.05...

Injuries are higher on that list. Beyond the QB position losing Demski or a couple of OL for example would be difficult to overcome. The list goes on for defence as well. Alexander and Bighill would be crippling.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
wpg#1

My comfy chair. Signed by Milt !

« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2021, 12:35:24 PM »

What a garbage thread.

Like?..what?

I agree !! What if an asteroid hits the earth ?

GO BLUE BOMBERS GO !
COOL BEANS !
blue_gold_84

GC108 Champions!

« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2021, 12:48:09 PM »

The Bombers would still be the defending champs and class of the league this season. Grin

#forthew
#defendthecup

Slava Ukraini!
wpg#1

« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2021, 01:18:01 PM »

The Bombers would still be the defending champs and class of the league this season. Grin

ha ha  .... that's true !!

GO BLUE BOMBERS GO !
COOL BEANS !
Donny C

« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2021, 02:18:55 PM »

Then the dinosaurs would die (my best guess).
wpg#1

« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2021, 02:45:02 PM »

Then the dinosaurs would die (my best guess).
You mean ... like ... Michael Reilly ?

GO BLUE BOMBERS GO !
COOL BEANS !
Donny C

« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2021, 02:59:36 PM »

You mean ... like ... Michael Reilly ?

YES!
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2021, 03:52:23 PM »

Modadmin might be to kill this thread. It is pointless. Austin85 barely even comes on here. A bit trolly.

Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2021, 04:29:40 PM »

Hopefully we're in a position to give McGuire some meaningful game time in the next 3 games. One, in order to prepare him to play should the need to play occur. Secondly to give Collaros some time to recover from the wear and tear players deal with during the season. The less time he's on the field the less time he's at risk of any injury.

Obviously it's a slippery slope with no exact path. Players can get injured on the 1st play or the last play of any game. They can get injured in practice as well. This applies to every single player on the roster.

On the positive side our OL has been pretty good in protecting Collaros. On the negative side, Collaros does at times take longer to allow a play to develop. That's what makes him so good but he has taken some hits we wish he avoided.

We'll see how things go over the next 3 games. No injury to any player is a good thing, especially going into the playoffs.

Agreed, they should provide McGuire  with as many reps. as possible through to end of the season, this will give them a better understanding of his future capabilities.  It may answer the question "is he the next starting QB of the BB or should we keep on looking?". 

I think the Bomber team as a whole is already at the point that they would have a pretty good shot at winning the Grey Cup this season even with a second string QB behind center, depending of course on the competence of the opponents they face along the way. As long as the D can continue to limit points scored against, the O backed by a reliable foot could still squeeze out victories in low scoring games against the majority of teams.  Even if the QB was not capable of stringing a drive together through the air, the running game is so dynamic right now even without Harris this team could win solely by running the ball down the opponents throat.  Not a team in the league could stop them.

Much like 1988 when the Bomber D carried Sean Salisbury with them on their way to a Grey Cup victory, this team is better positioned to do the same with McGuire, than the crew that lost to the Riders in 2007 with Dinwiddie at the helm.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 06:28:11 PM by Throw Long Bannatyne » Logged
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2021, 08:13:31 PM »

Agreed, they should provide McGuire  with as many reps. as possible through to end of the season, this will give them a better understanding of his future capabilities.  It may answer the question "is he the next starting QB of the BB or should we keep on looking?". 

I think the Bomber team as a whole is already at the point that they would have a pretty good shot at winning the Grey Cup this season even with a second string QB behind center, depending of course on the competence of the opponents they face along the way. As long as the D can continue to limit points scored against, the O backed by a reliable foot could still squeeze out victories in low scoring games against the majority of teams.  Even if the QB was not capable of stringing a drive together through the air, the running game is so dynamic right now even without Harris this team could win solely by running the ball down the opponents throat.  Not a team in the league could stop them.

Much like 1988 when the Bomber D carried Sean Salisbury with them on their way to a Grey Cup victory, this team is better positioned to do the same with McGuire, than the crew that lost to the Riders in 2007 with Dinwiddie at the helm.

Plus do not forget the Blue Bombers had the Riders by the throat upon expiration of that game but Dinwiddie threw a pick instead of jogging for a 1st down to midfield or into Rider territory. With 2mins left on the clock to move into kicking range. That game stunk because we had them right where we wanted them.

That was with a average D, a zero snaps QB, maybe not the greatest coach in Berry and a likely hung over Roberts and we still should of won that game. Riders and Joseph were not particularly not sharp in that game either.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 08:16:59 PM by GOLDMEMBER » Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: