Blue Bombers Forum
August 12, 2022, 04:42:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: "I'm extremely happy. This fit, it's been perfect."  (Read 1953 times)
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« on: September 30, 2021, 02:24:16 AM »

"I'm extremely happy. This fit, it's been perfect." - Ed Tait

Truth be told, the novelty of playing against his old club and the notion of delivering some sort of retribution or sending a message - or whatever pent-up emotions might be involved - wore off a long, long time ago for Adam Bighill.

And so while it would be natural to assume the Winnipeg Blue Bombers dominant middle linebacker would have drawn bright red circles around Friday night?s visit to Vancouver and matchup with the B.C. Lions, there's been too much change on the left coast for the game to offer up anything extra other than it being Week 9 on the Canadian Football League schedule.

"Look, it still means something, because there's still a lot of fans in B.C. who still support me," began Bighill in a chat with bluebombers.com this week. "I've always got love for them. As for the organization... I don't really know anybody there anymore. The coaching staff has changed over there twice and there are only a few players left since I played there. Even the ownership has changed. My first game playing them, yeah, I was fired up. But not really anymore."

There's a bigger angle at play here now, anyway. Bighill spent his first six years as a pro in B.C., helping the Lions win the Grey Cup in 2011, being named a CFL All-Star four times and the league's Most Outstanding Defensive Player in 2018. Yet when he opted to return to the CFL in late spring of 2018 after a stint with the New Orleans Saints in 2017, the Lions couldn't - or wouldn't - make room for him on the roster, mostly because of salary cap reasons.

"When Ed Hervey (the Lions GM at the time) came in he wanted to make his own calls on personnel and he was known for not wanting to pay linebackers a lot," said Bighill. "So, when I came back he said, 'We can't even make you an offer.' I knew that was a possibility, that I might not be able to come back.

"What me and Solly (long-time linebacking partner Solomon Elimimian) were able to do for those years there, it's hard to keep that together even for as long as we did. So, I knew it was possible I wouldn't be coming back. At the end of the day, it turned out great."

File that under 'colossal understatement.' After all, 'great' doesn't even begin to describe how well the fit has been between Bighill and the Bombers. That fit, it could be said, is even bigger than just player and franchise.

"We love being in Winnipeg now," said Bighill. "Setting up here might have been a hard sell at first with Kristina (his wife) being from Vancouver. But as we've started our life here she can already see what some of our friends and people in Vancouver are going through in terms of the cost of living. The living expenses out there are higher and you don't get as much there for what you pay for. Overall, for comfort of life she's just seeing how it's different here and she's appreciating what that presents us.

"Plus, I love playing here. I love the mentality of the city, of the province. It's blue-collar in a lot of ways and that mentality is where I came from. I definitely fit in well and appreciate it."

Make no mistake, with Bighill's all-star skillset he would fit in well with any franchise. He also already has a growing side career as investment advisor that means he could hang his hat and be productive in any city across the continent. Still, knowing his background - his father Andy and mother Janine both worked at the sawmill in Raymond, WA, just outside his hometown of Montesano - and knowing how his head coach, Mike O'Shea, comes from the same stock and played the same position at a hall-of-fame level, could there be a better fit than Bighill and the Bombers; Bighill and this town?

And there's more on Adam Bighill here!

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2021, 02:51:14 AM »

Great interview. Love Biggie. Appreciate him man!

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
pjrocksmb

#1D+ Hall is boss

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2021, 02:54:57 AM »

Having a great year

I don't follow the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
ichabod_crane

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2021, 12:51:46 AM »

He was battling some nagging injuries in 2019. Now fully healthy and probably very motivated to prove he is not over the hill quite yet!! Smiley
Zach Schnitzer

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2021, 11:30:40 AM »

Great interview. Love Biggie. Appreciate him man!
yep love this guy

#fortheW
theaardvark

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2021, 05:43:13 PM »

Sounds like Mrs. Biggie has figured out why we "Winnipegers by choice" love this city... and watching the between periods clip of Nate Schmidt the other day, he gets it too. 

I really get fatigued when I hear people who have lived here all their lives denigrating our fine city, wishing they could get out, saying they wouldn't buy a house here "in this market".  My God, they haven't lived anywhere else, they don't realize they *couldn't* afford a house in any other market, let alone as nice a house as they can get here.  In so many ways, a dollar goes so much further here, I can live a far better life here on half the wage I'd need in Toronto, and live in three times as nice a house, with a huge yard, in a safe neighborhood, minutes away from just about anything I need, and an hour and a half from a very affordable waterfront holiday property.  That's an hour and a half of full speed driving, no "traffic" to deal with, unlike Toronto where a one and a half hour drive takes 5 hours most of the time.

I think the Bombers and the Jets are creating locker-rooms that are desirable, and the offshoot is that the city is starting to get a much better reputation in general. 

Guys like Biggie, who will be here for life are the current crop, guys like Obby, or Vega, or Steen or Brown have made this city their homes by choice... for so many, many reasons...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Horseman

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2021, 10:30:47 PM »

Sounds like Mrs. Biggie has figured out why we "Winnipegers by choice" love this city... and watching the between periods clip of Nate Schmidt the other day, he gets it too. 

I really get fatigued when I hear people who have lived here all their lives denigrating our fine city, wishing they could get out, saying they wouldn't buy a house here "in this market".  My God, they haven't lived anywhere else, they don't realize they *couldn't* afford a house in any other market, let alone as nice a house as they can get here.  In so many ways, a dollar goes so much further here, I can live a far better life here on half the wage I'd need in Toronto, and live in three times as nice a house, with a huge yard, in a safe neighborhood, minutes away from just about anything I need, and an hour and a half from a very affordable waterfront holiday property.  That's an hour and a half of full speed driving, no "traffic" to deal with, unlike Toronto where a one and a half hour drive takes 5 hours most of the time.

I think the Bombers and the Jets are creating locker-rooms that are desirable, and the offshoot is that the city is starting to get a much better reputation in general. 

Guys like Biggie, who will be here for life are the current crop, guys like Obby, or Vega, or Steen or Brown have made this city their homes by choice... for so many, many reasons...

You can also add Willard Reeves to that list.
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2021, 10:48:45 PM »

You can also add Willard Reeves to that list.
Walby Kennard Cameron Stan Mikowaz David Black

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
Horseman

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2021, 01:51:12 AM »

Walby Kennard Cameron Stan Mikowaz David Black

Walby & Stan Mikowaz are both originally from Wpg.
BLUEBOMBER

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2021, 06:49:29 AM »

Good to have players that actually love the city..
theaardvark

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2021, 02:47:33 PM »

With the ominous moniker "Winterpeg", even if players want to come for the team dynamic, they could be hesitant about the city... 

It is interviews like these that show Winnipeg is more than "its a dry cold".  Winnipeg is a vital city, with all the amenities a professional sportster could want, but the small town feel and friendliness that makes it home...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: