Main Menu

USFL 2022??

Started by Blue In BC, September 28, 2021, 06:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theaardvark

So, nothing on network TV this week? 

Weird...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Blue In BC

Quote from: theaardvark on May 01, 2022, 03:31:31 AM
So, nothing on network TV this week? 

Weird...

There were 2 games on Fox yesterday. I watched parts of both. No fans for the 1st game but there was a crowd of a few thousand for the Birmingham game. Couldn't tell how large it was but the most I've seen since game 1.

Didn't find either game all that interesting. Aside from the quality level of play, I don't have any association with players, team cities involved etc. Part of the fan aspect requires a crowd involvement supporting their team.

I wasn't watching much but I think even that will decrease for me. Time to focus on our draft and up and coming TC.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

Quote from: Blue In BC on May 01, 2022, 01:46:26 PM
There were 2 games on Fox yesterday. I watched parts of both. No fans for the 1st game but there was a crowd of a few thousand for the Birmingham game. Couldn't tell how large it was but the most I've seen since game 1.

Didn't find either game all that interesting. Aside from the quality level of play, I don't have any association with players, team cities involved etc. Part of the fan aspect requires a crowd involvement supporting their team.

I wasn't watching much but I think even that will decrease for me. Time to focus on our draft and up and coming TC.

Weird, I guess when I set my PVR for USFL, it didn't pick up the FOX channel, just NBC... so I didn't see either broadcast game this week. 

Have to wonder if Fubo or Peacock are getting any traffic..

As to association based on city... other than Birmingham, there are no team/city alliances.  And not many recognizable names at all... or any that have stood out enough to encourage following them...

Is limiting broadcast games a good way to build followers? 
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Blue In BC

Quote from: theaardvark on May 01, 2022, 07:44:05 PM
Weird, I guess when I set my PVR for USFL, it didn't pick up the FOX channel, just NBC... so I didn't see either broadcast game this week. 

Have to wonder if Fubo or Peacock are getting any traffic..

As to association based on city... other than Birmingham, there are no team/city alliances.  And not many recognizable names at all... or any that have stood out enough to encourage following them...

Is limiting broadcast games a good way to build followers? 

I'm wondering the same thing about limiting broadcast games. Two games of four per week are only on the Fubo or other pay type networks.

I don't understand why they did this and what the plans for 2023 might look like. Seems like a horrible business model IMO.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

Quote from: Blue In BC on May 01, 2022, 08:09:32 PM

I'm wondering the same thing abut limiting broadcast games. Two games of four per week are only on the Fubo or other pay type networks.

I don't understand why they did this and what the plans for 2023 might look like. Seems like a horrible business model IMO.

I guess they are trying to cover all the bases, might be trying to prove the league can drive business to the pay networks, and if that fails, next year be 100% FOX content...

Blue In BC

Quote from: theaardvark on May 01, 2022, 08:11:53 PM
I guess they are trying to cover all the bases, might be trying to prove the league can drive business to the pay networks, and if that fails, next year be 100% FOX content...

Viewership was dropping on Fox as well. If they plan to continue with all games in Birmingham that's not good. It's also hasn't built up interest in the other franchise cities in theory. Also the XFL is due to return in 2023 and that overlaps part of their season.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

So, for those looking for Dobson in a USFL jersey...

Dave Naylor@TSNDaveNaylor

OL Liam Dobson, No. 3 overall pick of last year?s @CFL Draft, will attend mini-camps with the @ChicagoBears
and @Saints. Had signed a @USFL contract this spring but denied P1 work visa because league does not have $10 million in revenue, according to agent Marty Magid. #bombers

So, the USFL is so lame that you can't get a work visa to play for them...  #sad

Blue In BC

Quote from: theaardvark on May 02, 2022, 08:33:43 PM
So, for those looking for Dobson in a USFL jersey...

Dave Naylor@TSNDaveNaylor

OL Liam Dobson, No. 3 overall pick of last year?s @CFL Draft, will attend mini-camps with the @ChicagoBears
and @Saints. Had signed a @USFL contract this spring but denied P1 work visa because league does not have $10 million in revenue, according to agent Marty Magid. #bombers

So, the USFL is so lame that you can't get a work visa to play for them...  #sad

Well that's interesting. Not good for Dobson. Bears drafted three OL and the Saints at least 2. Even making it to an NFL TC might not happen. So he could be in Winnipeg in 2022.  Those camps run May 6 - 16th.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

Quote from: Blue In BC on May 02, 2022, 08:54:54 PM
Well that's interesting. Not good for Dobson. Bears drafted three OL and the Saints at least 2. Even making it to an NFL TC might not happen. So he could be in Winnipeg in 2022.  Those camps run May 6 - 16th.

But with his passport.. oh wait... no ratio in the NFL...

The question then moves to, is it better to bounce around looking to get a PR spot in the NFL, or come to Canada and play.  Can he land a spot on the Bombers and get on the field?  He could easily take Eli's spot, but can he get Dejarlais'?   Because if he wants to get a kick at teh NFL, the best bet might be to take the route Dejarlais did...

Blue In BC

Quote from: theaardvark on May 02, 2022, 09:02:42 PM
But with his passport.. oh wait... no ratio in the NFL...

The question then moves to, is it better to bounce around looking to get a PR spot in the NFL, or come to Canada and play.  Can he land a spot on the Bombers and get on the field?  He could easily take Eli's spot, but can he get Dejarlais'?   Because if he wants to get a kick at teh NFL, the best bet might be to take the route Dejarlais did...

Desjarlais signed a futures contract and will be at an NFL TC. Dobson is just a mini camp invite.

The Saints just signed 17 UDFA players.

I think Dobson doesn't make it to an NFL TC.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

Quote from: Blue In BC on May 02, 2022, 09:36:33 PM
Desjarlais signed a futures contract and will be at an NFL TC. Dobson is just a mini camp invite.

The Saints just signed 17 UDFA players.

I think Dobson doesn't make it to an NFL TC.

Exactly, but not making a TC doesn't mean you can't work your way onto a PR somewhere along the line... teams are always trying out hoggies... so there is a chance he could find a PR spot eventually.  But coming north gets him a PR spot for sure, possibly an AR spot and he could earn the chance to play.

Blue In BC

Quote from: theaardvark on May 02, 2022, 10:38:08 PM
Exactly, but not making a TC doesn't mean you can't work your way onto a PR somewhere along the line... teams are always trying out hoggies... so there is a chance he could find a PR spot eventually.  But coming north gets him a PR spot for sure, possibly an AR spot and he could earn the chance to play.

No but for Canadian rookies that's not a good sign. There are probably 50+ import OL that didn't get drafted that have a better chance to at least attend an NFL TC.

Dobson was the 3rd overall pick in the 2021 draft. He'll make the roster on just that basis alone. He might end up as the non dressed player or bump our # 5 or # 6 Canadian OL.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

GOLDMEMBER

You are both right no way he makes it to an NFL camp. Great news more top quality OL Canadian help enroute in time. 8)
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

theaardvark

The question is, can he figure out that chasing around after an NFL PR spot hinders his development of ever getting to an NFL roster, whereas a couple years of solid CFL coaching and play gets him both a paycheck and an opportunity like Dejarlais just got...

TecnoGenius

Quote from: theaardvark on May 01, 2022, 08:11:53 PM

Haha, you're killing me!  Optimist  :o :o ;D ;D ;D ;)
Never go full Rider!