Main Menu

USFL 2022??

Started by Blue In BC, September 28, 2021, 06:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue In BC

Anyone hearing information about determining teams, cities involved, hiring of coaches and management? When do they expect to begin recruitment if those decisions aren't in place.

I haven't heard squat since the original announcement.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Blue In BC

Just a re-fresh. Anybody know what's happening with USFL plans to play in 2022? Depending on salary levels we could see some players shift to their rosters as extra income opportunity?
2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

Saw an announcement on twitter of some of the executives hired and a broadcaster...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

theaardvark

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Blue In BC

Here's something about what might happen. All games in a one city bubble. Nothing about coaches or players being signed yet or budgets. I'm wondering if we see some CFL player look at the USFL as an extra opportunity for a paycheck before returning to CFL. Depending on salary, it might create opportunity for the 1st year players or players reaching the end of their possible CFL careers.

The proposed season would end at the beginning of July so that makes possible CFL players crossing over problematic in so much as missing some or all of TC. With so many CFL players approaching possible free agency and not knowing USFL SMS levels, its too early to know impact. Coaches and players might on the move south though.

On October 12, 2021 it was published that the league is in serious discussion with the city of Birmingham, Alabama about the possibility of the USFL playing all of its games in the city. According to initial information, Birmingham will be responsible for housing the players during the season at the price of about $15 million (47,000 hotel rooms), while the league would play the bubble season at Protective Stadium and Legion Field.[16][17]

The proposal includes eight-team 10-week season with two additional playoff rounds, from April 15 through July 3, 2022, with broadcast proposal as follows: 25% on Fox, 25% on NBC, 25% of Fox Sports and 25% of games on the USA Network.[18][19] The Birmingham Stallions is expected to be included in the first season.[1]
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Blue In BC

Ok. 1st games are this weekend. I'm going to watch / channel surf to see what this looks like. Interested to see what attendance is like etc. I only see 2 of 4 games being broadcast though.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Jesse

I keep hearing things about different leagues, but there are so many start ups, I never know which is which.
My wife is amazing!

theaardvark

fubotv?  never heard of it... supposed to be a free trial, carrying all the games. 

So, every game is a Birmingham home game, even if they don't play... so obviously not a gate oriented league...

Blue In BC

Quote from: theaardvark on April 13, 2022, 06:17:55 PM
fubotv?  never heard of it... supposed to be a free trial, carrying all the games. 

So, every game is a Birmingham home game, even if they don't play... so obviously not a gate oriented league...

Games are showing up on NBC / Fox here in Vancouver.  In theory there are 4 games a week and 40 in total during the season: 8 X 10 divided by 2 = 40 games. I don't know whether all 4 games are being broadcast each week in the US. If that marketplace is only seeing the same 2 games a week that's not going to help.

Since all the games are being played in Birmingham that isn't going to promote live attendance after the 1st week?

I wonder what ticket costs are like but nobody is going to 4 games of anything over a weekend.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Blue In BC

Just heard some info on the USFL on US news today.

Footballs will have " chips " which will allow exact tracking of forward distance achieved. That seems like a good idea although the forward point of the ball doesn't always indicate where the runner is touched down. Couldn't hurt though.

Two forward passes allowed behind LOS. Interesting but is there really time and distance behind LOS to try this before getting shmucked by defenders? Getting off a pass to a RB or receiver and him still having time to throw? Not sure how often we'll see this but it was something suggested as a improvement or new rule for CFL.

Players will be mic'd and two will have cameras in helmets. CFL has done something like that with cameras on ref's. Not sure I like the idea of cameras on so many players with up close and personal views. It may create some " dizzying" views at speed and weird angles.

Chips under pads which can track speed and I suppose route running pattern? This might result in a video game analysis by the broadcasters? Could be very useful for coaches during game post game looking at what worked and what didn't. Not sure I need to see broadcasters showing where every little dot ( player ) was during each play or very often. Maybe a couple of big plays being reviewed at half time.

Drones being used. That's ok, just another version of sky cam which they might not have in Birmingham.

Anyway. It will be interesting to see how more technology is used and what is a benefit and where it's just over the top.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

On FOX 203 and NBC 202 tonight at 6:30...

theaardvark

For a first broadcast, not too bad.  Mike Riley, 2 Grey cups... not a single mention of his time in the CFL....

Actually entertaining, although Riley shifted to 100% ground game.  Difference in the game, 2 misses FG, including a 22 yarder...

Blue In BC

I watched most of 1st half and the last few minutes of the game. Overall seemed reasonably entertaining and a close contest. A few bugs to iron out in the 1st broadcast with camera work.

A couple of punts had drone camera from behind the punter. Another punt was an aerial view. I also only saw one helmet cam but as I thought that's not all that informative or interesting. Mic'd coaches was just " noise" from my point of view.

Announced crowd was 17,500 but apparently 40,000 seats sold ( that's stadium capacity ) and that was for the actual home team.  I'm not convinced the business model can succeed with every game played in one stadium. Who will go to 4 games every weekend for 10 weeks.

It seems some games are broadcast on subscription networks only ( 2 per week )??  I wonder how many will have the ability to watch every game?

Revenue needs to come from somewhere and this looks like a difficult model.

Playoff games will be moved to Canton so it's a neutral site game. All that makes it difficult to gain an association for any team. No home games etc, etc. Will that build a following?

I'll check out today's game for awhile and see what crowd size is like.

Ticket prices vary from $23 to $55 and and could vary game to game based on supply demand!!!  That's optimistic. lol Realistically I envision attendance dropping week to week as the 4 games per week takes it's toll.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Blue In BC

What the ?? Game # 2 is delayed due to rain. That means that games # 3 and # 4 are also pushed out since they are all playing in Birmingham. Currently they are re-broadcasting yesterdays game. Why would they schedule games on Easter Sunday?

lol
2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

With Fox Sports the sole owner, and every game being played in one stadium until the playoffs, I'm not sure there is any substance behind actual city names on franchises.  No real "home teams"...

I'm working today, and my "Bluecurve" does not get NBC or FOX... can't seem to access it elsewise.  Fubo is a paid subscription service, I guess they will see if their subscriptions get a bump after the free trials...

Three games for a day when most of the target audience is off?  Sounds like optimal scheduling...