Winnipeg Jets Discussion - 2021/2022 Season

Started by ModAdmin, September 21, 2021, 02:56:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on July 04, 2022, 03:40:52 PM
How are Cheveldayoff, Morrison, or Dubois "old boys club" hires? Also, the majority of those you named are all part of the Moose organization more than anything. Noel hasn't been here for over eight years and his replacement wasn't an "old boys club" hire, either.

Bowness has never been an employee of the Jets 2.0 in any capacity. Furthermore, who would be a better fit here based on Trotz declining and the Bruins getting the jump on Montgomery?

This whole narrative about favoritism seems like a weird hill upon which to die when complaining about Bowness being hired as HC. The valid criticism should be what he brings to the table as a coach, IMO.

Then don't.
Moose Jets whatever lots of retreads from previous organizational relationships established. Sure there are a couple non club members but the re hashes are obvious. Arniel and Baumgartner back here only further solidifies my opinion. I think Chevy and Chipman had a previous forged relationship as executives in the AHL prior to Jets 2.0.

Who knows how many actual other options the Jets had is the other angle. How many wanted to come here to be HC? Certainly Trotz did not after two visits here. Cassidy likely did not even consider here.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

Jesse

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on July 04, 2022, 03:40:52 PM
How are Cheveldayoff, Morrison, or Dubois "old boys club" hires? Also, the majority of those you named are all part of the Moose organization more than anything. Noel hasn't been here for over eight years and his replacement wasn't an "old boys club" hire, either.

Bowness has never been an employee of the Jets 2.0 in any capacity. Furthermore, who would be a better fit here based on Trotz declining and the Bruins getting the jump on Montgomery?

This whole narrative about favoritism seems like a weird hill upon which to die when complaining about Bowness being hired as HC. The valid criticism should be what he brings to the table as a coach, IMO.

Then don't.

I'm not even sure what point you're trying to make - it's pretty well established that this organization feels more comfortable hiring those which with they've had a previous relationship. That's why there are so many former Moose on the roster as opposed to the most qualified NHL people out there. They are loyal to those who have been loyal to them - for better or for worse.

You going to tell me that Bowness called all his people and Arniel and Baumgardner were the top names who got back to him? Or that True North said, these are guys we know who need work?
My wife is amazing!

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Jesse on July 05, 2022, 03:48:18 AM
I'm not even sure what point you're trying to make - it's pretty well established that this organization feels more comfortable hiring those which with they've had a previous relationship. That's why there are so many former Moose on the roster as opposed to the most qualified NHL people out there. They are loyal to those who have been loyal to them - for better or for worse.

You going to tell me that Bowness called all his people and Arniel and Baumgardner were the top names who got back to him? Or that True North said, these are guys we know who need work?

My point is the "old boys club" narrative is a fabricated one and I provided the rationale and coaches to show why that is. The "loyalty over winning" narrative is also pretty weak considering how - outside of this past season* - the team's done more winning than losing in recent history.

The Jets didn't get the man they wanted to be HC; he declined. What more qualified coaches currently unemployed would you prefer to see? Is there a better option than Bowness? I can't think of one.

I'm at a loss to understand what you mean by "former Moose on the roster as opposed to the most qualified NHL people out there." Unless you're saying the AHL side of the operation is loyal to former Moose players, in which case I'd agree. But the Moose aren't the team that needed new coaches, so it's a bit of a moot point.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but don't a lot NHL organizations operate with loyalty in mind? The Jets aren't some unique case from what I can tell.

The presser this morning made me at least cautiously optimistic about the new head coach, who made it sound like he's going to tackle the issues head on and fix what needs fixing. The talent is there.

* and there were several factors that played into it, far more relevant than "loyalty to familiar faces" or what have you
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Jesse

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on July 05, 2022, 05:05:49 AM
My point is the "old boys club" narrative is a fabricated one and I provided the rationale and coaches to show why that is. The "loyalty over winning" narrative is also pretty weak considering how - outside of this past season* - the team's done more winning than losing in recent history.

The Jets didn't get the man they wanted to be HC; he declined. What more qualified coaches currently unemployed would you prefer to see? Is there a better option than Bowness? I can't think of one.

I'm at a loss to understand what you mean by "former Moose on the roster as opposed to the most qualified NHL people out there." Unless you're saying the AHL side of the operation is loyal to former Moose players, in which case I'd agree. But the Moose aren't the team that needed new coaches, so it's a bit of a moot point.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but don't a lot NHL organizations operate with loyalty in mind? The Jets aren't some unique case from what I can tell.

The presser this morning made me at least cautiously optimistic about the new head coach, who made it sound like he's going to tackle the issues head on and fix what needs fixing. The talent is there.

* and there were several factors that played into it, far more relevant than "loyalty to familiar faces" or what have you

Well, we just don't agree then.

It seems clear to me that our organization hires people from their past - and that is evidenced by the amount of people retained from the Moose years.

You believe they are hiring who they feel are qualified.

I think we are at an impasse.
My wife is amazing!

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Jesse on July 05, 2022, 05:11:32 AM

It seems clear to me that our organization hires people from their past - and that is evidenced by the amount of people retained from the Moose years.

It's both. They are hiring people whom they feel are qualified for sure. But TSNE also values familiarity to a certain extent. Maybe more than some other organizations. They do like to promote from within and they do have a certain "type". Character and familiarity are things that TSNE believes are important factors in the hiring process (or to their definition of "qualified" as you put it).

Pigskin

The draft is on Thursday with our 1st pick it would be nice to land, Slafkovsky, Jiricek, Geekie.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Jesse

Quote from: Pigskin on July 05, 2022, 08:19:14 PM
The draft is on Thursday with our 1st pick it would be nice to land, Slafkovsky, Jiricek, Geekie.

I'm not really that high on Geekie.

Seems like an Adam Lowry clone to me and not worth a first rounder.
My wife is amazing!

Jockitch

As I needed a refresher, I googled ?Dubois wants out of Columbus?
Read 3 links and parts of a couple and for me it screams of a player simply wanting a big stage
BOMBERS ARE GREY CUP " CHAMPS "

HUSTLE & MUSCLE

Pigskin

Quote from: Jockitch on July 06, 2022, 01:44:58 AM
As I needed a refresher, I googled ?Dubois wants out of Columbus?
Read 3 links and parts of a couple and for me it screams of a player simply wanting a big stage

[/quote

PL80 just didn't get along with JT in Columbus.

Not sure what he's trying to pull off here.

Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

blue_gold_84

I don't think he's pulling off anything. It seemed like he was upfront with the organization about his aspirations based on how last season went and whatever issues exist within the locker room and team culture.

If the new coaching staff can address and resolve those issues, we could see Dubois change his tune. The roster's leadership also needs to step up and help get things back on track again, too.

Here's hoping they're all successful and we can talk about a playoff run next spring.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

dd

Quote from: Jesse on July 05, 2022, 05:11:32 AM

I think they hired who was available and willing to come to Winnipeg, as others wouldn?t.

Jesse

Quote from: dd on July 06, 2022, 06:40:09 AM
I think they hired who was available and willing to come to Winnipeg, as others wouldn?t.

That's probably fair too.

It just sucks, sometimes.
My wife is amazing!

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: dd on July 06, 2022, 06:40:09 AM
very well could be.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

Jockitch

Difference ?? in Columbus he spoke to organization but nothing was divulged to journalists
After his 3 year entry level contract he spoke quietly of his desire. Players were told after he signed that
short 2 years at $5.M and shortly into season he landed here.
Sadly, IMO, he went vocal publicly, no doubt after getting a blah, blah from Chevy. Letting the world know just reeks of ________ .        immaturity is one word that comes to mind
BOMBERS ARE GREY CUP " CHAMPS "

HUSTLE & MUSCLE

blue_gold_84

I have no idea who McGroarty is. Sounds like he put up some good numbers in junior, though.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.