Winnipeg Jets Discussion - 2021/2022 Season

Started by ModAdmin, September 21, 2021, 02:56:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theaardvark

Dubois is apparently unhappy with the current situation, and being 2 yrs from UFA, has a lot of control, as expressed on HNIC last night...

Give him the two years of his remaining RFA to put his mark on the team.

Or do you want to trade away another star player?  To salve the current leadership group that is aging out, and will probably not be around by the time we get another real shot...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

blue_gold_84

More classically ridiculous commentary. Imagine the misguided belief Scheifele and Morrissey are "aging out"... LMAO :D

Every player is unhappy with not making the playoffs: https://www.sportsnet.ca/article/jets-own-up-to-frustrating-results-in-regular-season-garbage-time/

Look at that... Prominent players on this team, regardless of a letter on a jersey, are holding themselves accountable for this failed campaign. It seems, at least from the outside as a fan, as though the players have the right mindset collectively to get things straightened out and get back on track going into next season.

This team has a solid group of players with considerable talent and more than enough to compete for a playoff spot. They need a new coaching staff to guide them, though. That needs to be the first and most important step in the off-season.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Jockitch

Nice move up for Harkins. gets to start on a line with PLD & 81 tonight while Wheels goes up with Stash & the Fly

Hopeing that StanLee & Samberg enjoy terrific games    Cheering that HellB can keep it down at 3 or less against
BOMBERS ARE GREY CUP " CHAMPS "

HUSTLE & MUSCLE

theaardvark

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on April 24, 2022, 07:46:05 PM
More classically ridiculous commentary. Imagine the misguided belief Scheifele and Morrissey are "aging out"... LMAO :D

Every player is unhappy with not making the playoffs: https://www.sportsnet.ca/article/jets-own-up-to-frustrating-results-in-regular-season-garbage-time/

Look at that... Prominent players on this team, regardless of a letter on a jersey, are holding themselves accountable for this failed campaign. It seems, at least from the outside as a fan, as though the players have the right mindset collectively to get things straightened out and get back on track going into next season.

This team has a solid group of players with considerable talent and more than enough to compete for a playoff spot. They need a new coaching staff to guide them, though. That needs to be the first and most important step in the off-season.

JM44 is NOT part of the "aging out", and I would never suggest he should be dealt.  His game is improving constantly.

BW26 is on the downside, no one will deny that.  MS55's offensive numbers are ok, but his defensive game is suffering.  Why? 

It all starts at the top.  If Chevy stays in charge, we can expect a recycled coach and the same team leadership structure.  And we will be trading PLD80, and other young assets, who want out...

My point being, if they start at the top, and let the new guys come in and turn the team over to the youth movement, we could see the team on a new path.  If MS55 and BW26 can take support roles without letter on their chests, that's great.  I just can't see that happening. 

A great segment on KC81 improving his D role, including PK.  *That* is what this team needs... and the mention that PLD80 has both taken more penalties than anyone else, but also drawn more penalties... and that while taking penalties is an issue, it is better to start from that point and reduce them rather than try to add that edge into his play.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Jockitch

Fantastic team victory ?.. quite possibly the best 3 period effort ?? elevated joy in beating Avs

HellB almost perfect, Harkins & Barron were terrific, Dmen had some good answers & the fans loved it
BOMBERS ARE GREY CUP " CHAMPS "

HUSTLE & MUSCLE

theaardvark

OK, who tops your list of replacements for Chevy?

Until today, I did not consider this, I know there are plenty of candidates, and probably more than a handful that bear consideration. 

Do you recycle an old guard GM?

Do you hire a seasoned vet ex-player who is working his way up the management ladder?

Do you hire a younger guy with some new thinking?

Or, do you consider going way off the books...

In my googlefest, the recent Blackhawks GM search came up, with many articles about their top 5 or 7 candidates being considered, and all talked about a name that the executive search consultants suggested.  Toronto Raptors VP Teresa Resch.

Sure, not a "hockey guy".  Not even a "guy".  But apparently an exceptional mind.  The joke around the Raptors organization once Resch?s candidacy was reported was, ?who is going to do all the important jobs now?? 

I understand why an executive search company might suggest going that far off the board, that organization has a lot of work to do changing its image.  Granted, it wasn't sexual assault against women, but still, even the consideration of a female for the top spot is something they can use as positive spin.

But is she a valid candidate to consider?  Would Chipman be willing to make history?  It sounds like she's a legit executive, would she be able to find her way in the old boys club of the NHL?  Would hiring a woman help increase interest in the 51% of the population that is completely un-represented in the sport, and help sagging ticket sales? 

I know it won't happen, hockey and Winnipeg are not ready for a female top "guy".  But I thought it was an interesting thought.  And if it worked, 

Pigskin

Quote from: Jockitch on April 25, 2022, 02:53:59 AM
Fantastic team victory ?.. quite possibly the best 3 period effort ?? elevated joy in beating Avs

HellB almost perfect, Harkins & Barron were terrific, Dmen had some good answers & the fans loved it

I thought the Jets played a good game. The Avs have now lost 4 in a row. Looked to me like they have no interest in the rest regular season. Consistency has been our problem all year. Lets see if we stay focused, and played well for the rest of the year.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

blue_gold_84

First time the Avs have lost four in a row all season. Not a great way to go into the post-season.

Fun game to be at last night, especially the final frame. Nice to see Connor crack 45 goals, Wheeler had a good game, and Hellebuyck was solid.

The Jets put on a pretty good show despite having nothing to play for at this point in the season. That's a good sign looking ahead to next season and should squash any mention of this team needing a rebuild.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Jesse

I?m glad you had a great time, I?m personally not impressed by a meaningless game at the end of the season and don?t think it means anything at all for next year.
My wife is amazing!

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Jesse on April 26, 2022, 03:39:44 AM
I?m glad you had a great time,  if I?m personally not impressed by a meaningless game at the end of the season and don?t think it means anything at all for next year.

If?

I'm simply reiterating things with this team aren't as bad as some have suggested when attempting to justify a rebuild of sorts. The Jets are still competitive and the roster has more than enough talent on it.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Jesse

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on April 26, 2022, 02:23:34 PM
If?

I'm simply reiterating things with this team aren't as bad as some have suggested when attempting to justify a rebuild of sorts. The Jets are still competitive and the roster has more than enough talent on it.

Typo - was on my phone.

Honestly, we don't know how bad this is yet. We're hoping it's a blip, but we are right against the cap with little room to manoeuvre. If things aren't significantly different next season, something will have to give.
My wife is amazing!

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Jesse on April 26, 2022, 03:31:23 PM
Typo - was on my phone.

Honestly, we don't know how bad this is yet. We're hoping it's a blip, but we are right against the cap with little room to manoeuvre. If things aren't significantly different next season, something will have to give.

The Jets are projected to have more than $16M in cap space in the upcoming off-season: https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/jets
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Jesse

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on April 26, 2022, 03:37:56 PM
The Jets are projected to have more than $16M in cap space in the upcoming off-season: https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/jets

But how many players do we need to sign with that money?

It's not like we have 16M for upgrades.
My wife is amazing!

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Jesse on April 26, 2022, 05:51:50 PM
But how many players do we need to sign with that money?

It's not like we have 16M for upgrades.

I'm not following. You said the team's right up against the cap, which isn't true.

The link has all the information as to FAs.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Jesse

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on April 26, 2022, 06:05:00 PM
I'm not following. You said the team's right up against the cap, which isn't true.

The link has all the information as to FAs.

The team is currently right up against the cap - it has limited our ability to call up players this season.

Next season - guys like PLD, Stas, Comrie, etc. Don't have contracts yet, so we have "cap room", but we still have to fill out our roster.
My wife is amazing!