Winnipeg Jets Discussion - 2021/2022 Season

Started by ModAdmin, September 21, 2021, 02:56:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Jesse on April 07, 2022, 05:12:42 PM
You're not replacing 55's points at 6M. They would have to feel very strongly that his lack of effort/defensive play is hurting the team more than the points are helping.

26 is staying no matter what - his contract is unmovable.

This.

Trying to get rid of Scheifele is such a ridiculously short-sighted suggestion. Wheeler and that elephant of a contract aren't going anywhere, either.

The crusty fanboys, part-time/fair-weather supporters, and wannabe local sports writers whose existence seems to revolve around this team are being irrational and making statements based purely on anecdotes, hyperbole, and emotion. Yeah, this season has been an abject failure but knee jerk reactions aren't a solution.

Start with coaching and go from there. Moving your 1C is a stupid idea. Full stop.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

theaardvark

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on April 07, 2022, 09:55:18 PM
This.

Trying to get rid of Scheifele is such a ridiculously short-sighted suggestion. Wheeler and that elephant of a contract aren't going anywhere, either.

The crusty fanboys, part-time/fair-weather supporters, and wannabe local sports writers whose existence seems to revolve around this team are being irrational and making statements based purely on anecdotes, hyperbole, and emotion. Yeah, this season has been an abject failure but knee jerk reactions aren't a solution.

Start with coaching and go from there. Moving your 1C is a stupid idea. Full stop.

No one wants to move our #1C, we need to sign PLD80 long term.  We're talking MS55...

With CP91 and AL17 and a host of 4th liners, your are set up the middle with PLD80 as your #1C, and you can put the "C" on him as well.

Don't get me wrong, MS55 is a great player, and will be missed.  But the only way you deal BW26 is to package the two, and in doing so, you get younger, faster and completely change the leadership structure, giving PLD80 and KC81 the "C" and "A" they deserve along with JM44 wearing an "A".

Moving over $14mil in cap space and opening the team up for the future, just makes sense.  We are not 1 or 2 years from being a top team, missing out on that time to develop our deep talent pool (the Moose are the best team in the AHL, and could probably beat a few NHL teams... ) by bringing them to the NHL level.

Addition by subtraction.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Pigskin

MS55 and PL80 are 1 and 1A. First time in a long time this team has had two very good centers. Both have a different skill set. I am not trading either because AL17 is a great third line C. and I am not sure CP91 is ready for the roll of #2 C over the course of a 80 schedule.

Our bottom 6 forwards are just that. Sanford at 2M mite not be with us next year. KV93 did nothing, JH12 still can see him playing top 6, CP91 will play on the right of either 55 or 80 next year. ES71 played well at times but inconsistent, DT21 excellent on PK, can play either 3rd. or 4th line C. I could see MB36 playing on the left side of AL17. Big guy at 6-4, 220, good speed and love to hit.

Want to move some salary, MS88/6M.  Plays soft, gives up the puck a lot, can't clear the front of the net.  With PS25, AC9, and NB28, that's 8-8.5M off the books for next year.

Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Jesse

Quote from: theaardvark on April 07, 2022, 11:32:28 PM
Don't get me wrong, MS55 is a great player, and will be missed.  But the only way you deal BW26 is to package the two, and in doing so, you get younger, faster and completely change the leadership structure, giving PLD80 and KC81 the "C" and "A" they deserve along with JM44 wearing an "A".

Moving over $14mil in cap space

26 is not being traded. At all. And you say why, teams aren't bringing on 14M of cap space for two years of a bloated contract. It just isn't going to happen.

Quote from: Pigskin on April 08, 2022, 03:40:32 AM
MS55 and PL80 are 1 and 1A. First time in a long time this team has had two very good centers. Both have a different skill set. I am not trading either because AL17 is a great third line C. and I am not sure CP91 is ready for the roll of #2 C over the course of a 80 schedule.

17 is a great 4th line centre. We do not get enough secondary scoring from our 3rd and 4th lines.
My wife is amazing!

theaardvark

Quote from: Jesse on April 08, 2022, 02:32:44 PM
26 is not being traded. At all. And you say why, teams aren't bringing on 14M of cap space for two years of a bloated contract. It just isn't going to happen.

17 is a great 4th line centre. We do not get enough secondary scoring from our 3rd and 4th lines.

BW26 is not getting tradfed without witholding half his salary, unless you give them something else... like a top line C in MS55.  That's why my concept is to trade them as a package, you will get a return, you will get cap relief, and you will open up for new leadership.  With both having no trade aspects, moving them as a pair also helps them make that decision to waive, because the only team trading for them is a team that is ready to win. 

Win, win situation...

Does the perfect trading partner exist out there?  We may see at or before the draft...  if I am a new GM coming it, first move I make.  Put *MY* mark on the team.  Tells the team and the league we are not afraid of the big move, and that we expect all our players to step up.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: theaardvark on April 07, 2022, 11:32:28 PM
No one wants to move our #1C, we need to sign PLD80 long term.  We're talking MS55...

What an absurd opening statement with which to start off another farcical narrative. And you probably thought it was some clever retort, too.

Scheifele is the team's top centre with one of the most friendly contracts in the league. Dubois is a close second and fits in perfectly at 2C right now; re-signing him is a top priority and that'll happen (he has arbitration rights). Both are assets on this team in their respective spots and that's a formidable 1-2 in the team's top 6. That isn't up for debate - at all. You don't improve the team by getting rid of centre depth, especially due to one "bad" season. I use bad very, very loosely because Scheifele has still produced at his usual pace.

You make it sound like Scheifele and Wheeler are the problematic players holding back this team, despite their production (2nd and 3rd in team scoring). So, your suggestion is to trade them to somehow improve the roster. That's pure nonsense and addition by subtraction does not apply in this case. The Jets would be immediately negotiating from a disadvantageous position over such a garbage proposal like a package deal where the Jets are forced to retain salary (and likely a ton of it) to make it work. Which is to say nothing about the inanity of claiming they'll waive their respective contract clauses by moving them as a pair. How absurd. Why would they?

You're basically just repeating the same tired, erratic talking points of the local sports writers who share their shortsighted, kneejerked ignorance on websites and Twitter - and putting your own outlandish spin on it, seemingly for nothing more than the sake of discussion. There's nothing realistic or beneficial regarding any of it, though.

Also: don't lie and say Scheifele's great when you've said he's redundant, he stinks, and that he's soft at earlier points this season. You don't like him and that's hindering your ability to look at things rationally and objectively.

I'll give you credit for at least being consistent, as this proposed idea tracks with other suggestions you've made, such as trading Hellebuyck* and keeping Copp and promoting him to 2C. And that's just this season.

* in fairness, you did back up on that one
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Pigskin

Quote from: Jesse on April 08, 2022, 02:32:44 PM

True I have been saying that all year. 3rd and 4th. haven't been good this year. But I am not hanging that on AL17, get someone other then KV93, JH12, AB77, playing with him on a regular basis.

blue_or_die

Knee jerk reactions all up in here when all we need is a new coach.

That's it.
#Ride?

Pigskin

Quote from: blue_or_die on April 08, 2022, 06:49:31 PM
Knee jerk reactions all up in here when all we need is a new coach.

That's it.

Yup, like you said follow Calgary's lead. A couple of small moves mite do the trick.

theaardvark

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on April 08, 2022, 05:36:38 PM
What an absurd opening statement with which to start off another farcical narrative. And you probably thought it was some clever retort, too.

Scheifele is the team's top centre with one of the most friendly contracts in the league. Dubois is a close second and fits in perfectly at 2C right now; re-signing him is a top priority and that'll happen (he has arbitration rights). Both are assets on this team in their respective spots and that's a formidable 1-2 in the team's top 6. That isn't up for debate - at all. You don't improve the team by getting rid of centre depth, especially due to one "bad" season. I use bad very, very loosely because Scheifele has still produced at his usual pace.

You make it sound like Scheifele and Wheeler are the problematic players holding back this team, despite their production (2nd and 3rd in team scoring). So, your suggestion is to trade them to somehow improve the roster. That's pure nonsense and addition by subtraction does not apply in this case. The Jets would be immediately negotiating from a disadvantageous position over such a garbage proposal like a package deal where the Jets are forced to retain salary (and likely a ton of it) to make it work. Which is to say nothing about the inanity of claiming they'll waive their respective contract clauses by moving them as a pair. How absurd. Why would they?

You're basically just repeating the same tired, erratic talking points of the local sports writers who share their shortsighted, kneejerked ignorance on websites and Twitter - and putting your own outlandish spin on it, seemingly for nothing more than the sake of discussion. There's nothing realistic or beneficial regarding any of it, though.

Also: don't lie and say Scheifele's great when you've said he's redundant, he stinks, and that he's soft at earlier points this season. You don't like him and that's hindering your ability to look at things rationally and objectively.

I'll give you credit for at least being consistent, as this proposed idea tracks with other suggestions you've made, such as trading Hellebuyck* and keeping Copp and promoting him to 2C. And that's just this season.

* in fairness, you did back up on that one

MS55 is -20, PLD80 is -2.  I know, +/- is a dumb stat, but it is an illustration of a player's offence vs. his defence. 

Your #1C needs to handle the opponents as much as he needs to produce points.  Yes, MS55 is a liability right now, regardless his point production. 

For comparison, BW26 is -9, AL19 is +3, CP91 +1, KC81 +0, NE27 +10

Building a team around +/- is a fools errand, I know... but ignoring it isn't smart either...

Pigskin

And I think if you add up NE27, AL17, and CP91 points there points less then MS55.

theaardvark

Quote from: Pigskin on April 08, 2022, 09:05:16 PM
And I think if you add up NE27, AL17, and CP91 points there points less then MS55.

They actually have 1 more point... but what is your point there?

On a team that has a goal differential of -4, to be -20 is tough.  Chicago has a goal differential of -61, yet Toews is only -9...

Pigskin

Quote from: theaardvark on April 08, 2022, 10:28:18 PM
They actually have 1 more point... but what is your point there?

On a team that has a goal differential of -4, to be -20 is tough.  Chicago has a goal differential of -61, yet Toews is only -9...

The point is MS55 is a point a game C, CP91 and AL17 are no where close to that. Regardless of there +/-. And your thinking there going to replace MS55 with one of these guys.

Pigskin

Excellent game tonight. Would have been nice to win that one, but one mistake and they made us pay.

MS55 showed again tonight why this team needs him.

NE27 was all over the ice tonight and used his speed like he can. Felt bad for him on the OT penalty.

Love PL80 but another bad penalty tonight. If your going to be a leader, you can't take those type of penalties.

JM44 had another great game tonight. Even with the worst +/- for our D, he still is our best D man. +/- is over rated.

AL17 is just so good on the PK.

KC81, to bad he got covid, he was on fire before that.

Jockitch

Entertaining ?? sad ending for a determined, battling Jets players
Definitely an idiotic move by #80 ?.. agree that he has to cool his aggressiveness in the pinch

Thinking Barron might be a nice fit with Lowry & Appleton
Felt Samberg handled himself and what a nice lead pass to 55.
BOMBERS ARE GREY CUP " CHAMPS "

HUSTLE & MUSCLE