Winnipeg Jets Discussion - 2021/2022 Season

Started by ModAdmin, September 21, 2021, 02:56:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Zipp

it was fun to watch at least...the implosion at the end not included.

blue_gold_84

The Jets' defensive zone play continues to be an issue - by and large - through three games so far. We've seen this team commit to playing solid from their zone out, but that's been lost on the players recently (both last season and to start this one) and doesn't seem to be improving. Special teams are a mess and it seems like a lot of experimentation in these few games played. The fundamentals are not there and that's evidenced by their record and several other key stats.

I get the whole puck luck thing not going the Jets' way last night but that seemed to stem from poor play without the puck, questionable positioning in every zone, and lousy puck movement. That tying goal by the Wild late in the third was a microcosm on those glaring issues, IMO.

Let's say Maurice is on the chopping block. Who takes over for him? One of the current assistant coaches? Does Morrison get promoted from the Moose? Or hire an outsider? Boudreau, Julien, Tortorella, Bylsma, and Carlyle are a handful of available options. Are any of them the answer, though? Or does this losing skid speak to a larger issue within the organization? And if so, how much blame falls at the feet of the GM?
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

blue_or_die

It looks to my untrained eye that we have a very talented group that has little cohesion or chemistry. Some of that can be attributed to having players missing and then shifting players around the lineup (Wheeler this game, Scheif in game 1), new young players (Perfetti, Ves, Harkins), and new vet players (Dillon, Schmidt, Nash). The good news is that they can form that cohesion and get better play over time. I realize it's not acceptable to waste half a season while this group finds its groove but a few games is ok.

IMO this loss was considerably different than the first two trash games. This one had the emotion and the scoring touch but clearly there's work to be done.

The flukey goal off Morrissey's skate, the flukey tying goal at the end, and the chintzy offside no-goal challenge ultimately were the difference in why we lost.
#Ride?

Pigskin

Our fourth line to this point isn't as strong as our 4th. line last year. Our 4th. line last year with Lewis, Thompson, and MP85, could be used for PK and shut down late in games.

After AC9 and AL17, not much there for PK yet. Another pairing will have to step up. Nash and ?? This is an area where App's was really starting to shine for us.

PP was moving the puck well most of the night. 80/55/81, looked good together. Missing that big cannon from PL29.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Jesse

Our PK and 5on5 puck clearing has been abysmal.

All we can do is hope that this is due to some new cast member and that everyone will learn to play more cohesively together.

But, honestly, we've retained our core pieces for a long time and shouldn't be having these issues against teams playing rookies in top-6 roles.
My wife is amazing!

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Jesse on October 20, 2021, 06:01:47 PM
Our PK and 5on5 puck clearing has been abysmal.

All we can do is hope that this is due to some new cast member and that everyone will learn to play more cohesively together.

But, honestly, we've retained our core pieces for a long time and shouldn't be having these issues against teams playing rookies in top-6 roles.

Bingo. The core of the this team should be leading by example, but isn't. (I'll give Connor a pass for his performance last night)
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

theaardvark

KC81 - 2 goals and one game losing offside... just when you're ready to buy his jersey he does a bonehead thing like going offside with an empty net 3 on 2... yeesh.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: theaardvark on October 20, 2021, 09:11:53 PM
KC81 - 2 goals and one game losing offside... just when you're ready to buy his jersey he does a bonehead thing like going offside with an empty net 3 on 2... yeesh.

He was offside by a razor thin margin and the EN goal getting called back didn't lose the game. It was still 5-4 after that. Did you even watch the game?

Speaking of garbage: https://illegalcurve.com/frank-seravalli-report-winnipeg-jets-are-bracing-for-more-positive-covid-19-tests-within-locker-room/

Also, Perfetti was sent down to the Moose today.

#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Pigskin

CP91 back to the Moose is the right move. He needs to develop, and sitting on the bench with the Jets isn't going to do that.

Pigskin

7 pm start tonight. Home opener, time for a Win.

blue_or_die

#Ride?

blue_gold_84

Quote from: blue_or_die on October 21, 2021, 03:02:20 PM
Scheif in covid protocol

Gross. This home opener tonight is going to suck.

EDIT: Scheifele has already had one negative test and remains in protocol. If he has another negative resultant test later today, he'll be released from protocol and can play tonight.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

theaardvark

Jets were expecting a slew of positive tests, but that hasn't come so far... but it is nice having the farm team so close at hand... just in case
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Pigskin

With MS55 out, do you put all our fire power on one line with 81/80/27 ?

theaardvark

Wondering the timing on Cole Perfetti getting sent down... let him step in for Scheiffle...