Blue Bombers Forum
December 03, 2021, 11:46:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 22
  Print  
Author Topic: News from around the league  (Read 11736 times)
Blue In BC

« Reply #150 on: October 15, 2021, 09:11:27 PM »

McGuire is a far better option than a beat down Harris... sorry, hard no.

Maybe. Behind our OL he might be ok if available cheap for the balance of the season.

I'm not suggesting we entertain trading for him and McGuire could be the next star QB when given a chance. At the moment he's had 6 pass attempts and 3 completions. I've never seen him in practice so not much to go on.

Collaros is the only starting QB to not miss more than a play or two. Touch wood and cross fingers.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
Pigskin

« Reply #151 on: October 15, 2021, 09:55:01 PM »

Bomber fans, would there be any interest in Trevor Harris for the rest of this season and then release him before his massive bonus in February is due?

I know Zach is the man, but any injury late in the season, teams really need a veteran and would only cost a mid round draft pick.

Not trying to start a rumor or anything, just a football question.

I would think that Sask. mite be looking at Harris, with the way Cody has been playing lately, and the slide they are on.

Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.
ichabod_crane

« Reply #152 on: October 15, 2021, 10:12:40 PM »

Maybe. Behind our OL he might be ok if available cheap for the balance of the season.

I'm not suggesting we entertain trading for him and McGuire could be the next star QB when given a chance. At the moment he's had 6 pass attempts and 3 completions. I've never seen him in practice so not much to go on.

Collaros is the only starting QB to not miss more than a play or two. Touch wood and cross fingers.

He is the third highest paid QB in the CFL?! NO way they are taking that contract on unless he renegotiates big time. Not sure why you would bring him in now as he might be washed up. What did he do this year to warrant any look beyond his past history?! He's been horrible. Trade for one of their kickers makes a lot more sense, not Trevor Harris. Only a desperate team (Ottawa or Als) might want him if Edmonton's asking price is reasonable. Better trade him now as he will almost assuredly bolt Edmonton if he becomes a FA after this snub. He might only stay if the HC and/or GM get canned.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #153 on: October 15, 2021, 11:09:58 PM »

McGuire is a far better option than a beat down Harris... sorry, hard no.

Spoken through the most foggy blue glasses on this forum. Hypotheticaly speaking, I don't mind the idea of trading for Harris if we don't have to give up a first round pick (which might be wishful thinking).

I absolutely remember what happens when your starter gets hurt in a conference final and a raw rookie starts in the Grey Cup game.

Hint: you lose. And you have absolutely no way of knowing if McGuire would be better down the stretch. No way at all. If it came down to one game, I'd rather have Harris than Dinwiddie, I mean McGuire.
dd

« Reply #154 on: October 15, 2021, 11:54:44 PM »

Point well taken. Maybe when we get up 20 plus points in a game and our defense doesnt give up points in the 4th quarter,  we should be putting McQuire in in garbage time to get him some real game reps and series under his belt.

We ve put the boots to some teams this year and he really hasn't seen any real game time. That's short sighted
Tiger

« Reply #155 on: October 16, 2021, 12:26:42 AM »

Bomber fans, would there be any interest in Trevor Harris for the rest of this season and then release him before his massive bonus in February is due?

I know Zach is the man, but any injury late in the season, teams really need a veteran and would only cost a mid round draft pick.

Not trying to start a rumor or anything, just a football question.

Sure - Winnipeg - place to revive careers?..wait?..

We are no longer QB career killers?

Football is easy if you're crazy as hell
 Bo Jackson

We are inclined to think that if we watch a football game or a baseball game, we have taken part in it
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

BC Sucks
Tiger
Blue In BC

« Reply #156 on: October 16, 2021, 03:26:12 AM »

He is the third highest paid QB in the CFL?! NO way they are taking that contract on unless he renegotiates big time. Not sure why you would bring him in now as he might be washed up. What did he do this year to warrant any look beyond his past history?! He's been horrible. Trade for one of their kickers makes a lot more sense, not Trevor Harris. Only a desperate team (Ottawa or Als) might want him if Edmonton's asking price is reasonable. Better trade him now as he will almost assuredly bolt Edmonton if he becomes a FA after this snub. He might only stay if the HC and/or GM get canned.

Bombers have 4 games left so the SMS hit would be less than if this was an 18 game schedule. He also took a big advance, so being the 3rd highest paid QB isn't really applicable.

Again I'm not suggesting we trade for him but I do think he'd be better in Winnipeg behind our OL than in Edmonton. He might be washed up but there are teams discussing trading for him. Time will tell what is left in his CFL career.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 03:27:44 AM by Blue In BC » Logged

2019 Grey Cup Champions
Pigskin

« Reply #157 on: October 16, 2021, 03:41:01 AM »

Bombers have 4 games left so the SMS hit would be less than if this was an 18 game schedule. He also took a big advance, so being the 3rd highest paid QB isn't really applicable.

Again I'm not suggesting we trade for him but I do think he'd be better in Winnipeg behind our OL than in Edmonton. He might be washed up but there are teams discussing trading for him. Time will tell what is left in his CFL career.

So is he our backup QB or our 3rd string QB. SM12 is our short yardage QB and our holder.

Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.
dd

« Reply #158 on: October 16, 2021, 03:56:36 AM »

I like this.idea. I don't want to.lose this grey cup due to.injury to ZC, Walters did this in 2019, trading for collaros , why not trade for an insurance policy vs injury to zack. I m thinking Montreal.and Ottawa would both offer up more in trade bait as.they need a #1 Qb period.
Blue In BC

« Reply #159 on: October 16, 2021, 12:50:20 PM »

I like this.idea. I don't want to.lose this grey cup due to.injury to ZC, Walters did this in 2019, trading for collaros , why not trade for an insurance policy vs injury to zack. I m thinking Montreal.and Ottawa would both offer up more in trade bait as.they need a #1 Qb period.

The difference is the timing compared to 2019. Nichols was injured much earlier and we were struggling. Trade deadline is rapidly approaching. It's a risk reward kind of gamble. Hindsight is always 100% if you know what I mean.

I don't see the Bombers making an inquiry although we might just to drive up his cost to Montreal or Ottawa.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
pjrocksmb

#1D+ Hall is boss

« Reply #160 on: October 16, 2021, 01:35:37 PM »

The difference is the timing compared to 2019. Nichols was injured much earlier and we were struggling. Trade deadline is rapidly approaching. It's a risk reward kind of gamble. Hindsight is always 100% if you know what I mean.

I don't see the Bombers making an inquiry although we might just to drive up his cost to Montreal or Ottawa.
Yeah make em pay!

Or tell Ottawa we won't enquire if they ship us a rental kicker just for playoffs lol

I don't follow the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
Blue In BC

« Reply #161 on: October 16, 2021, 04:39:40 PM »

Yeah make em pay!

Or tell Ottawa we won't enquire if they ship us a rental kicker just for playoffs lol

Now there's a good plan I can live with.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
ichabod_crane

« Reply #162 on: October 16, 2021, 10:27:48 PM »

He brought in Collaros because Nichols was done for the year and Strevler as much as he was liked was not quite a starter yet in this league. Do we suddenly forget how hot and cold he was once Nichols was out along with his at BEST average throwing skills? Collaros was almost a hail mary no lose proposition for the team with a great defence and special teams already.

The way Trevor Harris has played this season, hard to say he would be any upgrade over McGuire. More proven experience, but not so much performance this season. A hot and cold guy too all his career. Unless they are practically giving him away, don't venture anywhere near that unless Collaros goes down by the trade deadline. If they offer up their kicker, that is a more sane trade for a TRUE need.

Bombers have the luxury now to wait until near the trade deadline to make any move to see how their roster shapes up going into the playoffs. Edmonton may have a fire sale soon as practically no way forward into the playoffs for them now it looks like. Ottawa close to the same boat except they are in a weaker East division and could still squeak into third if no western team does a cross over.

Edmonton I think is more desperate to make moves as were they not the pre-season favourite by some "experts" To win the west? ALL THOSE GREAT receivers (looking at you Derrel Walker highest paid receiver in the league!) et al?! Look how that has turned out! Wink Ottawa EVERYONE with a football brain knew this was a rebuilding year for them with their empty closet going into the season. So anyone that is good on their team I doubt they are willing to trade unless it comes  at a high price. Dedmon, Ward....going nowhere unless you are trading them for a starting QB. Hammy or Argos may ship off one of their two QB's in the offseason to Ottawa or they leave via free agency. Calgary's backup Maeir probably on an entry level two or three year deal, so Stamps probably safe he is there another year. And with Bo being suspect going forward, he could be taking over the #1 job soon there anyway.

Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #163 on: October 16, 2021, 10:37:39 PM »

I'd prefer they give McGuire a serious amount of reps. to properly prepare him to step in instead of making a trade at this point.  Give him the entire first half of remaining games and let Zach and the FG kicker practice pulling games out of the fire if necessary.  If they lose a couple in the process, so what, the pay off and the insurance it provides down the road will be worth it.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 10:56:16 PM by Throw Long Bannatyne » Logged
DM83

« Reply #164 on: October 16, 2021, 11:55:08 PM »

Holy!
You think McQuire is better than Harris?
You mean Gerry McGuire?
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 22
  Print  

Jump to: