Blue Bombers Forum
October 05, 2022, 09:03:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  
Author Topic: "We were like a rollercoaster"  (Read 2903 times)
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« on: August 27, 2021, 06:27:58 AM »

"We were like a rollercoaster" - Ed Tait

Take a quick glance at the Canadian Football League's weekly statistical package and two numbers jump out as they relate to the Winnipeg Blue Bombers defence: Points allowed: 14.3. Rank: 1.

Yet, for a second straight week, the Bombers defence has spent the last few days flogging themselves for their collective mistakes made - particularly against the run - after giving up over 149 yards along the ground in last Saturday's 30-23 loss to the Toronto Argonauts. Couple that with the 123 rushing yards the Argos generated in a 20-7 win by the Bombers two weeks ago and those are some gaudy totals for a unit that gave up a measly 64.2 yards average along the ground in 2019.

And for a crew that set such a high standard in the Grey Cup run and into the first two weeks of the 2021 season, that simply doesn't measure up.

"Defensively we haven't played physical football from a consistent perspective," said Bombers defensive coordinator Richie Hall on Thursday, following a practice session closed to the media. "We've made some plays at times, but one of the things we pride ourselves on is being a physical defence, a physical football team.

"And these last two weeks we, umm, s---t the bed. Excuse my language, but that's what we did. We can't have that type of a mentality and expect to be successful because that?s where everything starts."

It's worth noting here that the Bombers' problems in last week's loss were across the board, from two field goal misses, to the troubles on defence to the offence sputtering on so many possessions. Those are all intertwined, too. For example, the offence's inability to stay on the field - the Argos had twice as much time of possession - meant the Bombers' D was seemingly back on the field not long after trotting to the sideline and gulping down a swig of Gatorade.....

More on "Rollercoaster" here!

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
DM83

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2021, 03:16:17 PM »

Wow!
Is this the first time a team person admitt d what we are all saying?
We have too many new moving parts right now.
Which should help in the long run?
Patients grass hopper! (Did I spell that wrong?)
Blue In BC

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2021, 03:23:24 PM »

For whatever reason / multiple reasons every team has more injuries early in the season than normal. That's never good for any team at any time. Add in the large number of free agent movements and other deletions it's hard to keep up with who plays for who.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
Pigskin

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2021, 06:47:56 PM »

Listened to the Hall last night. He isn't very happy and didn't think his D played very well the last 2 games. To many breakdown's, to many missed tackles, and assignments. Doesn't think his D was very physical. Hinted they mite move Jones.

Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.
dd

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2021, 03:44:46 AM »

What??? Doesn?t Hall know that we have the #1 D ever ?!?! He mustn?t read some posts on this
Forum !!! In any event, I agree wholeheartedly with him, our D sucked last game
pjrocksmb

#1D+ Hall is boss

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2021, 08:36:50 PM »

What??? Doesn?t Hall know that we have the #1 D ever ?!?! He mustn?t read some posts on this
Forum !!! In any event, I agree wholeheartedly with him, our D sucked last game
Did we have some of the best D ever in the playoffs, Grey Cup and for the first few games, yes.  Did we falter with injuries and substitutions last game, yes.  Do we still have a dominate core, great coaches and will improve while we get healthy and gel, yes.  This early season adversity will only make us stronger.  I fully expect we will have a very good defense by end of the season as long as our key players are healthy and productive and the coaching staff can optomise our new group. 

Have faith and patience, no reason to panic.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2021, 08:52:27 PM by pjrocksmb » Logged

I don't follow the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2021, 08:50:13 PM »

What I would suggest is that people calm down.  It was a bad game all around on O and D.  It was one game at this point. 

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
pjrocksmb

#1D+ Hall is boss

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2021, 08:53:01 PM »

What I would suggest is that people calm down.  It was a bad game all around on O and D.  It was one game at this point. 
Words of wisdom are posted above.

Wow!
Is this the first time a team person admitt d what we are all saying?
We have too many new moving parts right now.
Which should help in the long run?
Patients grass hopper! (Did I spell that wrong?)
Nah the entire forum doesn't panic after one bad game, just you and a few merry men lol
« Last Edit: August 28, 2021, 10:18:10 PM by pjrocksmb » Logged

dd

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2021, 08:58:40 PM »

Did we have some of the best D ever in the playoffs, Grey Cup and for the first few games, yes.  Did we falter with injuries and substitutions last game, yes.  Do we still have a dominate core, great coaches and will improve while we get healthy and gel, yes.  This early season adversity will only make us stronger.  I fully expect we will have a very good defense by end of the season as long as our key players are healthy and productive and the coaching staff can optomise our new group. 

Have faith and patience, no reason to panic.
I am not a non believer, I am a realist, you on the other hand over react and self
Proclaim the 2nd coming of ****** every time there is a glimmer of a good game. Just say it the way it
Is and stop with the best defence ever crap as everyone knows how he best defence ever
Was the one that stole the grey cup from Matt dunnigan and the BC Lions followed by the grey battle lead defense that lead another grey cup and maybe down the road from those defenders was 2019 D that played lights out or we wouldn?t have won another grey cup.

To say this group in front of us is better than last years suggests you drink heavily while watching the games, time to sober up and get real
pjrocksmb

#1D+ Hall is boss

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2021, 09:10:38 PM »

I am not a non believer, I am a realist, you on the other hand over react and self
Proclaim the 2nd coming of ****** every time there is a glimmer of a good game. Just say it the way it
Is and stop with the best defence ever crap as everyone knows how he best defence ever
Was the one that stole the grey cup from Matt dunnigan and the BC Lions followed by the grey battle lead defense that lead another grey cup and maybe down the road from those defenders was 2019 D that played lights out or we wouldn?t have won another grey cup.

To say this group in front of us is better than last years suggests you drink heavily while watching the games, time to sober up and get real

I never said that this group was better than last year.    You are just trying to one up me after I have consistently supported the defense, Hall and this ball club.  What I was commenting on was the fact that our defense last year was one of the best ever based on their play at end of the season, giving up so few points and then that success followed into this year.  In terms of past defenses that are better sure a great debate (agree on the greatness of the team you mentioned) but there is no debate in how great of a string of game this club put together on D with so few points allowed.  We lost a few key players this year but also brought in some new talent that I'm very happy with.  I don't waiver on my opinion of this club game by game as you suggest.  I have been a huge supporter of our slow climb back to success over the years with consistent and unwavering support for MOS, Hall and management.    To say that we have #1d over the last number of games is just calling it what it was, domination.  We played great out of the gate and had a bad game, not sure where your glimmer of a good game thought is coming from.

My opinion on this group has been consistent, I see a good group that will be great once healthy and they have time to gel.  When I see the group do awesome things or have a good game, yes I will cheer and call us #1 because its fun to do so and celebrate our successes.

We are the champs with the same core, we have a great ball club and I believe in this team.  I see us building something very special long term with the consistency in players, coaches and management.

To suggest I drink heavily during games is way over the top personal attack, been sober for almost 4 years.  Have some respect and focus on commenting about the club not on me.  Thanks for your cooperation.  We can debate how good this defense is, that's why we are here.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2021, 09:21:51 PM by pjrocksmb » Logged

dd

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2021, 11:01:29 PM »

Hey, I am sorry for the drinking comment , it was made in jest, I had no idea you had a problem with alcohol, good foe you for getting a handle on that and being sober 4 years. Peace.
pjrocksmb

#1D+ Hall is boss

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2021, 11:31:16 PM »

Hey, I am sorry for the drinking comment , it was made in jest, I had no idea you had a problem with alcohol, good foe you for getting a handle on that and being sober 4 years. Peace.
All good man, apology accepted.  I was a binge drinker no biggie, gave up booze mostly for health reasons and because had a history of alcoholism in family.  If anyone on the forum needs support, PM me!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2021, 11:36:55 PM by pjrocksmb » Logged

Blue72

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2021, 12:17:28 AM »

Maybe with Glen Young moving to TO could also be a problem, since he left we have been having problems up front especially stopping the run. He could of been the person that made Hall look good.
pjrocksmb

#1D+ Hall is boss

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2021, 12:24:01 AM »

Maybe with Glen Young moving to TO could also be a problem, since he left we have been having problems up front especially stopping the run. He could of been the person that made Hall look good.
Good coach, big loss but I think you are under valuing Hall has a very good DC.  I would say Mr. Nevis is a bigger factor here.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2021, 02:47:56 PM by pjrocksmb » Logged

Pigskin

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2021, 01:23:05 PM »

Good coach, big loss but I think you are under valuing Hall has a very good DC.  I would say Mr. Devis is a bigger factor here.

Who is Mr. Devis.

Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  

Jump to: