Blue Bombers Forum
August 19, 2022, 09:28:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21]
  Print  
Author Topic: We need a kicker and a returner  (Read 33166 times)
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #300 on: September 22, 2021, 08:03:07 PM »

When was the last time we found and developed an elite QB or kicker like other teams are able to do? Scouting, coaching issue or both?

Lirim Hajrullahu, 2014, not that long ago.  The Bombers also brought Brett Maher and Sergio Castillo into the CFL, incidentally both of which are currently F.A.'s after stints in the NFL.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 08:07:06 PM by Throw Long Bannatyne » Logged
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #301 on: September 22, 2021, 08:16:59 PM »

Lirim Hajrullahu, 2014, not that long ago.  The Bombers also brought Brett Maher and Sergio Castillo into the CFL, incidentally both of which are currently F.A.'s after stints in the NFL.

We also drafted and signed Rene Paredes. Too bad we didn't keep him.
Tee42

« Reply #302 on: September 22, 2021, 09:44:03 PM »

See a pattern? Patience. Keep things status quo, let Ali figure out his hash issues.  Liegghio will continue with punting.  Not sure why they gave kick offs to Ali, give those back to Leggs. Liegghio keep working on field goals during practice and the off season and then give him a shot at all 3 next year.  Why take up an American spot. 
Nico DiFonte is not the answer. 

ichabod_crane

« Reply #303 on: September 22, 2021, 11:15:20 PM »

When was the last time we found and developed an elite QB or kicker like other teams are able to do? Scouting, coaching issue or both?

What TEAMS would that be? Maybe Calgary for QB's. Every other QB initially was signed elsewhere when they came into the league and only became a starter on another team. Adams in Montreal initially signed by BC and traded away before he even played a down there. Edmonton, Sask, Bombers, Toronto, Ottawa starting or even some backup QB's all started elsewhere at first. OK maybe Hamilton on that list too with Masoli and Evans. Masoli took a VERY LONG time to develop as he was pretty brutal in his first few years. They had nobody else which is why he was he got so many attempts. Truly only Calgary a QB factory over the last decade or more.

Kickers? Ottawa in there. Parades blossomed in Calgary, but had a cup of coffee with the Bombers before that. Leggs could be that kicker the Bombers develop if the "children" on here would let up on the kid. Maybe good he is only doing punting now and give the kicking a try next year. Lots of new kickers in the league this year. Not sure whom else is "cranking" them out. Bombers seemed to have ditched several guys who later got pretty good and got NFL shots even.
BLUEBOMBER

« Reply #304 on: September 23, 2021, 05:44:11 AM »

Like it or not, I do believe the right coaching will bring out the best in the players. Otherwise, why even pay coaches or have them? Our defense has been able to blossom under Hall/O Shea because they are primarily defensive guys. We are able to keep vets, find and develop young talent to replace FAs and retirees. I can't say the same about our offense and special teams right now. Our offense is good but not dominating. Our kicking is in shambles now after Medlock left. Our return game is non-existent with Nelson. If Collaros goes down (and yes every QB will during a long season), then God help us all cause we have seen what McGuire can do...
Sec223

« Reply #305 on: September 23, 2021, 11:14:29 AM »

Doesn't the Agro's own his rights.
They did but I believe he has asked for his release. I'm not saying he's the answer but if I was in charge I would be looking at every kicker possible. Here's the question of the day. Does anyone know if Medlock is vaccinated ? That may be part of the reason he's not returning ??
GCn19

« Reply #306 on: September 23, 2021, 12:20:34 PM »

What kind of odds would you need to take the "Lucky is going to run a missed FG back for a TD" side of a bet?

Again, there was no strategerie in missing the FG's to set up defensive TD's... just hard work, and the D having the ST guy's backs...

There is no doubt all three of our kickers can kick... and we know one will come through by playoff time. 

We don't know that at all. Not even close. I wouldn't bet a dollar on any of our FG kickers making a game winning kick right now.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
GCn19

« Reply #307 on: September 23, 2021, 12:22:36 PM »

When was the last time we had to do it. Take a look around the league in recent times, Paredes, Hajrallahu, Castillo, Maher all guys the Bombers brought into this league.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 12:24:33 PM by GCn19 » Logged

GCn19

« Reply #308 on: September 23, 2021, 12:26:50 PM »

See a pattern? Patience. Keep things status quo, let Ali figure out his hash issues.  Liegghio will continue with punting.  Not sure why they gave kick offs to Ali, give those back to Leggs. Liegghio keep working on field goals during practice and the off season and then give him a shot at all 3 next year.  Why take up an American spot. 
Nico DiFonte is not the answer. 

Leggs problem is in his mechanics and they need to iron this out ASAP. Pulling up short on a 40 yard FG is not a problem between the ears, it's his mechanics. We all know he has plenty of leg to make kicks from that distance.

Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #309 on: September 23, 2021, 12:33:32 PM »

Leggs problem is in his mechanics and they need to iron this out ASAP. Pulling up short on a 40 yard FG is not a problem between the ears, it's his mechanics. We all know he has plenty of leg to make kicks from that distance.

It's both. The mechanics are off on those kicks but the ability to methodically go through the kicking motion each time, under pressure, is the mental part. He has kicked some good ones it's just that he's far too inconsistent. Kicking really is such a mental exercise and mind and body need to be in sync.
Tee42

« Reply #310 on: September 23, 2021, 12:41:26 PM »

[/quote]

Liegghio was short on 47, 48 and 57.

48 was into the wind. Never was he short on 40 yards.

I will keep defending the kid as I believe in him. Did you watch the game last night.... I know it was bad weather but Hamilton missed 52 and 34, but then 50, 40, 14.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #311 on: September 23, 2021, 02:45:56 PM »

It's both. The mechanics are off on those kicks but the ability to methodically go through the kicking motion each time, under pressure, is the mental part. He has kicked some good ones it's just that he's far too inconsistent. Kicking really is such a mental exercise and mind and body need to be in sync.

It's much like a golf swing, sometimes you have to sacrifice power to improve accuracy by maintaining precise control of the mechanics which is mostly mental control.  Paredes adjusted his style after he trained with Don Sweet, he lost some distance but became deadly accurate under 50 yds..
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #312 on: September 23, 2021, 02:51:58 PM »

I will keep defending the kid as I believe in him. Did you watch the game last night.... I know it was bad weather but Hamilton missed 52 and 34, but then 50, 40, 14.

Nobody in this room particularly cares about Hamilton's problems nor would accept them here, if we did we would be content with mediocrity and seasons of disappointment.....of which we've already had our fill.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 03:42:26 PM by Throw Long Bannatyne » Logged
GCn19

« Reply #313 on: September 23, 2021, 04:24:11 PM »

Yea he wasn't short from 40 but he was many yards short form 47. That's mechanics. Could be pressure I suppose or sacrificing length for accuracy but at any rate at this point and time it becomes essential that his development is allowed to regroup. The last thing that needs to happen is that his confidence becomes completely shot. The Bombers should sign a vet K asap and let Leggs do the P and grow into the K role. He is clearly not ready and marching him out there when he isn't is a surefire way to end his career before it really begins.

I, like you, believe there is a ton of upside to be had with him and just needs development. The Bombers need to preserve his confidence and give him more time.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 04:25:56 PM by GCn19 » Logged

DM83

« Reply #314 on: September 28, 2021, 05:00:08 PM »

If it's his mechanics, the bombers should go to Mid town Ford......those guys do a good job on my vehicle!
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21]
  Print  

Jump to: