Blue Bombers Forum
August 19, 2022, 11:01:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21
  Print  
Author Topic: We need a kicker and a returner  (Read 33169 times)
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #285 on: September 20, 2021, 10:17:53 PM »

If you are in the position of having to try 6 FG's in a Grey Cup, you don't deserve to be in the Grey Cup... you need to score TD's.  Just sayin.

Maybe we should give back the Cup then and AH should give back his two awards for the MOP and MOC?

Happy to be able to watch a rematch of the 2019 game in Hamilton's back yard!
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #286 on: September 20, 2021, 10:26:07 PM »

Al Davis: "Just WIN BABY!" Smiley

I don't care if you kick 30 singles, a WIN IS A WIN! Not a masterpiece, but does the job.

Also 6 FG's means you have moved the ball into FG range a lot or the defence keeps turning the ball over for you or great special teams returns. Now IF IT's ONLY field goals and not td's mixed in (like Edmonton has done often), then you have problems as that can come back to bite you.

Hey, O'Shea and the coaching staff ALL know this is an issue for the team. Let them do their jobs and quit second guessing. These coaches (and GM and President) just ended a 29 year drought and you are ragging on them? Must be the text and social media generation people with short attention spans as they want immediate results yesterday. Glad I grew up in a different era.
I'm sure they would have paid JM if he wanted to stay....however that wasn't the case.   Leggz had an outstanding college career however he will need some time to develop as a pro.   I think they counting on him maturing however the time factor is their biggest concern.   It would be a shame to cut Leggz loose and have him develop into the next Noel Prefontaine who played most of his long career with the Argos.    It's a dilemma for MOS at the moment.....luckily our D has been the difference maker as it was often last season.   When Janarion Grant returns we will have another X factor on special teams.    Players like Medlock are difficult to replace for any team.

Happy to be able to watch a rematch of the 2019 game in Hamilton's back yard!
BLUEBOMBER

« Reply #287 on: September 20, 2021, 10:36:23 PM »

It's so deflating as an offense to know that your field goal kicker can't even make the ones inside the 40. Guess we need to keep scoring TDs then... go blue!!
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #288 on: September 20, 2021, 11:03:13 PM »

It's so deflating as an offense to know that your field goal kicker can't even make the ones inside the 40. Guess we need to keep scoring TDs then... go blue!!

The bigger danger is the lack of confidence in your kicker starts to seep into your decision making and playcalling as an offense. Instead of making the safe play, you're calling more aggressively and taking more chances in the opposition end which can obviously end much worse than a field goal try.
BlueInCgy

« Reply #289 on: September 21, 2021, 12:14:18 AM »

There is no doubt all three of our kickers can kick... and we know one will come through by playoff time. 

Actually, the basis of this thread is the doubt that our kickers can kick.  As a group, they?re at 50% on FGs, with the highest performing at 62.5%.
BLUEBOMBER

« Reply #290 on: September 21, 2021, 03:14:24 AM »

I am beginning to wonder if it's the kickers issues or our coaching issue that is resulting in their collectively poor performance. Or is it our GM or scouting issue that we can't find great kickers.
Pigskin

« Reply #291 on: September 21, 2021, 04:05:14 AM »

I am beginning to wonder if it's the kickers issues or our coaching issue that is resulting in their collectively poor performance. Or is it our GM or scouting issue that we can't find great kickers.

Really, the coaches fault??? Scouting and GM, picked one of the best kickers to come out of Canadian college.

Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.
Jesse

« Reply #292 on: September 21, 2021, 10:57:09 AM »

Well, that's silly.

This is not a negative thread that's ragging on the best GM/Coach combo this team has seen since...well, before I started watching football.

This is just a discussion on what some of the options out there are because, right now, our special teams are an anchor on this team.

It hasn't come back to bite us yet, but it's going to.

My wife is amazing!
blue_or_die

« Reply #293 on: September 21, 2021, 02:21:32 PM »

What kind of odds would you need to take the "Lucky is going to run a missed FG back for a TD" side of a bet?

Again, there was no strategerie in missing the FG's to set up defensive TD's... just hard work, and the D having the ST guy's backs...

There is no doubt all three of our kickers can kick... and we know one will come through by playoff time. 

If you are in the position of having to try 6 FG's in a Grey Cup, you don't deserve to be in the Grey Cup... you need to score TD's.  Just sayin.

Aards, these posts are asinine.

Back2Back Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #294 on: September 21, 2021, 04:24:12 PM »

That does raise a good point, even in a Grey Cup game that the Bombers dominated from start to finish, with various players balling out with exceptional games, they still relied on Medlock to generate 21 of their 33 points.  The importance of a proficient place-kicker can never be diminished, it's always been my opinion that next to the QB they are the second most important player on a winning team, because a good kicker puts W's directly on the board. In a real shootout it often comes down to which team has the best kicking game and right now the Bombers are below league average in that department. It's still relatively early season form but other GC contenders will rise, and playoffs are rarely ever a celebratory cake walk to the podium. 

« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 04:26:32 PM by Throw Long Bannatyne » Logged
ichabod_crane

« Reply #295 on: September 21, 2021, 08:36:55 PM »

I'm sure they would have paid JM if he wanted to stay....however that wasn't the case.   Leggz had an outstanding college career however he will need some time to develop as a pro.   I think they counting on him maturing however the time factor is their biggest concern.   It would be a shame to cut Leggz loose and have him develop into the next Noel Prefontaine who played most of his long career with the Argos.    It's a dilemma for MOS at the moment.....luckily our D has been the difference maker as it was often last season.   When Janarion Grant returns we will have another X factor on special teams.    Players like Medlock are difficult to replace for any team.

Leggs won't be going anywhere as he is their punter for now. Middle of the pack in punting stats, so going nowhere fast. Ali's kicking job to lose or solidify in the upcoming BC game. Get that right hash FG kicking motion corrected and he could be in business! Smiley
BLUEBOMBER

« Reply #296 on: September 22, 2021, 06:35:50 PM »

When was the last time we found and developed an elite QB or kicker like other teams are able to do? Scouting, coaching issue or both?
Pigskin

« Reply #297 on: September 22, 2021, 06:44:52 PM »

All I am hoping for is consistency. 45 and in a very high percentage. We need consistent points when we get to other teams 35/40 yard line.

Sec223

« Reply #298 on: September 22, 2021, 07:33:11 PM »

There is a kicker in our own backyard. Niko DiFonte.
Pigskin

« Reply #299 on: September 22, 2021, 07:49:59 PM »

Doesn't the Agro's own his rights.

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21
  Print  

Jump to: