Blue Bombers Forum
September 23, 2021, 11:08:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Training Camp Daily Reports  (Read 8186 times)
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #60 on: July 18, 2021, 11:56:23 PM »

I have serious trepidation about the Bombers moving on to a Buck Pierce led offence in the same timeframe that Medlock chose to retire.  He was the team's security blanket in many ways, without his foot to back them up and bail them out, they could be in for a rough ride as Buck works through the kinks implementing his newish offence.  Expanding LaPo's passing game vertically may seem fine in theory, but it will likely cause more 2nd and long situations and relying on a rookie FG kicker to put up points consistently when they stumble and fall short, as Medlock often did, is asking a bit much.

It can't be overlooked how exceptionally reliable and consistent Medlock was, no matter the cost, he was well worth it. In close games against legitimately tough opponents, it often comes down to the kickers trading FG's blow for blow throughout the 2nd half that determines the victor.  A scenario that creates a comparable level of pressure and focused attention that only experienced starting QB's and lonely FG kickers are expected to deal with.  The boo-birds at IGF surely cracked Lirim's nut.

Despite the glowing reviews and O'Shea's hearty stamp of approval I find it hard to believe Liegghio has been handed Medlock's well-worn jock strap, uncontested upon arrival, at his very first pro camp.

As long as we stay healthy those issues will be a torn in our side but something we can deal with

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« Reply #61 on: July 19, 2021, 01:36:30 AM »

Day 9

Quick Hits | TC July 18, 2021 - Ed Tait

5 Quick Hits on Day 9 of Blue Bombers training camp:

1. CAMP BATTLEGROUND: We've reached that portion of training camp where players can start separating themselves from the competition simply by staying on the field and getting work. Reps matter. And so, too, does performance.

"It's pretty factual, if you're out there taking more reps and getting more opportunities to make plays - and if you're making more plays - then obviously is going to stand up and take notice of that," said Bombers head coach Mike O'Shea after Sunday?s practice. "Yes, availability and durability are very important abilities."

All of this rings especially true in the secondary where there are two starting vacancies and 27 defensive backs in camp. That's a ton of bodies to evaluate and it's not going to happen over the course of just a few days.

"We definitely need time," O'Shea said of the decisions to be made in the secondary. "I don't know if it's 'easier' to make decisions, but what I do like and what was expected was from the first day they were on the field with pads there's going to be growth and it's going to look better every single day. It has. The defensive back spot, especially the inside positions when you're facing the 'Waggle' is the toughest transition for any American to make; to come up and see all that motion and understand the width of the field, the depth of the routes and the route combinations and the nuances of the CFL passing game. More and more DBs are making contested plays on footballs and it's looking better and better.

"What may not have looked pleasing the first day or so was certainly something that we expected and we expected them to get better and we expect them to compete. We've got a lot of time left to make the decisions we need to make so we're going to keep letting them compete and see where that goes in terms of the roster and who's good enough to play and help us win games."

2. EYES ON 'LEGS': Cool scene early in the practice session as Marc Liegghio lined up for a series of field-goal attempts. The Bombers draft pick had a solid day in that department and as the attempts kept getting longer, he came up just a bit short on a 57-yard attempt. After asking for another, you could hear his teammates yelling, 'C'mon, Legs' before he crushed his second try and was swarmed by teammates before being hoisted up by Jermarcus Hardrick.

"He's getting used to a new snapper, new holders - not just one - he's working through the wind at this practice field we're at. And he did have a better day today. It's all part of the process of being a kicker where you just have to keep yourself focussed on swinging well and making good contact and then understanding what went wrong and what went right, then duplicating it or changing it depending on which side of the kick you were on.

"It was pleasing for him. It was pleasing for his teammates. They recognize that it is a long process for a younger guy, too. I was pretty happy for him. We'll go back out there tomorrow and repeat the process."

3. FYI/RANDOM OBSERVATIONS: All four quarterbacks in camp - Zach Collaros, Sean McGuire, Dalton Sneed and Dru Brown - continue to have their good moments. What stands out with Collaros is how comfortable he is moving around the pocket to keep plays alive - all skills that are critical in the CFL. Asked if he could put into words how comfortable it is to have a QB like Collaros at the controls, O'Shea said: "Can I put it into words? No, I don?t know if I can. It?s very comforting. Obviously, I think he?s a great fit for us. His competitiveness, his professionalism, his character, the type of guy he is... he's a good fit. He's a winner."... DB Mercy Maston pulled up with an injury later in the morning and did not return to practice. O'Shea did not have an update on him immediately after. Not practising on Sunday were RBs Andrew Harris and Johnny Augustine, WRs Cam Meredith and Ardarius Stewart, LB Robbie Lowes, FB Mike Miller, WR Charles Nelson, CB Mike Jones, LB Jesse Briggs, OL Pat Neufeld, DBs Sam Williams and Raekwon Williams... Moments that popped out: Dru Brown hitting Montay Crockett for a TD, with Crockett later hooking up with Dalton Sneed for a long gain, LB Jontrell Rocquemore with an interception of Collaros and McGuire connecting with Blake Jackson for a TD... Many of the same receiver names keep jumping out, too, like Nic Demski, Drew Wolitarsky, Rasheed Bailey and Kenny Lawler. Lawler, in fact, has been incredible through camp. "He's got unbelievable hands," said O'Shea of Lawler. "When he first showed up here that was the thing that showed up the most - how good his hands were. Now he's coupled that with great comfort in terms of the playbook and route-running and his craftiness on how to get open. He?s certainly got all that now for sure. He did manage to find the end zone quite a few times today."

4. PERSPECTIVE MATTERS:
Defensive back Deatrick Nichols was leading the XFL in interceptions in 2020 when the pandemic hit and the league closed up shop. But rather than wallow in misery, he's soaking up this chance with the Bombers.

"I won't say it was devastating," said Nichols Sunday of the XFL going under. You've just got to keep pushing. Things happen. It's all about how you answer your calls and be thankful for what you have. We still beat the odds. There's many people at home that want to be here. I'm here and make the team or not I've had the opportunity to play football again and do what I love. I really can't see anything wrong with where I?m at right now."

5. ODDS: Presented without comment... the latest Grey Cup odds are out and the Bombers are listed as the third-best bet with 9-to-2 odds, along Calgary, behind Hamilton at 11-to-4 and Saskatchewan at 4-to-1 and ahead of Montreal at 5-to-1, Toronto at 15-to-2, B.C. at 8-to-1 and Edmonton and Ottawa at 10-to-1.

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
GCn19

« Reply #62 on: July 19, 2021, 12:47:12 PM »

The better question is why a few hundred people who would be socially distanced and outside thus posing absolutely zero risk of COVID transmission are not allowed to attend. I guess you'd have to ask Dr. Roussin that question.

That is a legit question, however, you will find that political statements are not particularly well received on a football forum. We get it, you are not in favor of vaccine passports and that is your choice. Can we leave it at that?

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
Blue In BC

« Reply #63 on: July 19, 2021, 03:33:37 PM »

As long as we stay healthy those issues will be a torn in our side but something we can deal with

It wouldn't hurt to bring in Medlock for a couple of days of coaching during TC.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
NewBlue

« Reply #64 on: July 19, 2021, 03:53:21 PM »

I was thinking this as well, I wonder if they could arrange somekind of "guest coach" clinic thing, or if that would be part of the cap?
Blue In BC

« Reply #65 on: July 19, 2021, 04:09:13 PM »

I was thinking this as well, I wonder if they could arrange somekind of "guest coach" clinic thing, or if that would be part of the cap?

Other teams have guest coaches. Guest coaches may or may not be paid. However even with some cash involved I was thinking 2 or 3 days. It wouldn't break the bank.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
theaardvark

« Reply #66 on: July 19, 2021, 07:00:08 PM »

It wouldn't hurt to bring in Medlock for a couple of days of coaching during TC.

Would it? Is Medlock a good coach, or just a great kicker?  A coach doesn't need to be able to play to coach... but just because a player can play doesn't mean he can coach...

Love Medlock, and if OShea thought getting him here would help Legs, I'd bet Kyle would make it happen... but don't we have a couple legendary kickers here in town already?

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Blue In BC

« Reply #67 on: July 19, 2021, 08:08:51 PM »

Would it? Is Medlock a good coach, or just a great kicker?  A coach doesn't need to be able to play to coach... but just because a player can play doesn't mean he can coach...

Love Medlock, and if OShea thought getting him here would help Legs, I'd bet Kyle would make it happen... but don't we have a couple legendary kickers here in town already?

That could be true but just watching Medlock work his technique without him saying anything would still be useful.

Like I said it wouldn't hurt ( at worst ). At best it's useful.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
NewBlue

« Reply #68 on: July 19, 2021, 08:23:06 PM »

I think Medlock has always given support to the young kickers, unlike Westwood who would completely ignore them.

He might not be a great coach, but who knows the stadium better, and he knows a ton about the mechanics.

Speaking of which, I wonder how that'll affect Leggs, not actually kicking in the stadium yet?  Soccer will still run it for awhile yet.
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« Reply #69 on: July 19, 2021, 08:49:54 PM »

Day 10

Quick Hits | July 19, 2021 - Ed Tait

5 Quick Hits on Day 10 of Blue Bombers training camp:

1. HOT - SCORCHING HOT - TICKET: Single-game tickets for the Canadian Football League season opener at IG Field on August 5th went on sale to the general public Monday morning and the response was, well, more than a little enthusiastic.

Single-game tickets were first made available to season-ticket holders last Friday and Bombers President and CEO Wade Miller said the club sold 1,000 tickets in the first 10 minutes for the 2019 Grey Cup rematch against the Hamilton Tiger-Cats.
For more info, click here.

2. DEEP CUTS THE KNIFE: The Bombers made their first significant chunk of cuts on Monday with the release of 10 players, all imports. That group includes:

-QB Dalton Sneed
-DBs Clifton Duck and Raekwon Williams
-WRs Alonzo Russell, Sr. and C.J. Worton
-DL Justin Alexandre and David Kenney
-LBs Khaylan Kearse-Thomas and Otha Peters
-OL Kevin Lawrence

3. HEADS UP: Blue Bombers receiver Rasheed Bailey is a walking, talking, hype machine. He doesn't just spit out everyday cliches, he speaks with the passion and fervour of a minister delivering a Sunday sermon.

And when Bailey was asked about the Bombers offence - specifically what it will look like this year under new offensive coordinator Buck Pierce - he made some big promises.

"You guys are going to see what we're going to be doing this year and it's going to be special," said Bailey. "We're going to do some things that are different, we're going to keep some things the same. But, overall, we're going to push the ball down the field and we're going to have some fun."

Asked later about QB Zach Collaros, Bailey kept right on hyping.
"The way it's looking right now... I'm just going to tell everybody this right now... they better watch out for what we're about to do this year," he said. "That's just me speaking from a confidence standpoint and from everyday that we've been here we're building something special. Just building from the Grey Cup and the connection we all have right now and are gathering right now as we speak... it's going to be a special year this year.
"If we all stay healthy and do what we're supposed to do and take care of our bodies, there's a lot of talent on this offence and a lot of players that can make some plays, including myself."

4. TOUGH NEWS/SOLDIER ON: News broke Monday morning about the loss of DB Mercy Maston for the season with an Achilles injury.

Veteran DB and former Edmonton teammate Josh Johnson wore Maston's jersey #7 during practice Monday and it was Bailey who Maston was covering on the play in which he suffered the injury on Sunday. A day later Bailey offered this:

"It almost breaks my heart because I know how much work we put into this game. I know how much work we put in, I know how much work I put in and how devastated I would be. My heart goes out to him. He was guarding me on that play. It's a hard pill to swallow because I know how much work he's put in. This season will be dedicated to my boy. There's nothing I wouldn't do to try and make him feel better in this situation, but this is football and things like this happen. But I promised that boy this season is going to be definitely dedicated to that guy. The work that I'm going to put in and the work that we've all been putting in, it's going to show up and it?s going to mean something.
"This season is definitely for my dawg."

5. FYI/RANDOM OBSERVATIONS: Monday's practice session was shortened and much of the time was spent on special teams... No sense yet of who might replace Maston in the secondary, but expect the parts to be moved around a lot...

Here's a couple of clips from QB Zach Collaros. First, his thoughts on the offence. "I don?t know if things will be that different. I tell the guys to be ready on every play because every offence, especially ours, has something built in where you can strike the defence downfield. It's my job as well as the coaching staff's job to get us all prepared to know the certain looks we can expose a defence with and really strike them. We've got some looks in camp where we've been able to strike the football downfield, but we're not going to be reliant on just throwing the ball up."... And, second, more praise for receiver Kenny Lawler, who has been one of the standouts in camp. "I told him last year when I met him I had to Google him because I knew the name, it was a familiar name that I knew from college football. I watched a five or six-minute highlight tape (from his days at Cal) of Jared Goff just throwing him back-shoulder fades and him catching if over and over again. I told him last year, 'Hey, if you get a one-on-one I'm coming to you' and he's just shown that plus more in this camp. Obviously he's got athletic ability, his range as a receiver, his hands are fantastic. Buck's doing a great job of moving these guys around to different positions so we don't become just one-dimensional and he's done a great job of learning where he's supposed to be and getting to the right depth and all those things that make a good receiver great."

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« Reply #70 on: July 20, 2021, 03:28:56 PM »

No practice today (July 20) due to air quality (smoke) issues.

GCn19

« Reply #71 on: July 20, 2021, 03:38:09 PM »

Willie Jefferson says he has no issues with smoke at all.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #72 on: July 20, 2021, 04:29:04 PM »

No practice today (July 20) due to air quality (smoke) issues.

They will have to get used to practicing and playing in the smoke as it looks like it's not going away anytime soon and the CFL really can't afford to postpone or cancel any games this season. BC is choking on smoke, wildfires are running rampant across the West and NW Ont. and I can't see any chance of it dissipating until mid-late fall, a cool wet summer is not in the forecast.  This is it, it's been coming for a few years now, better keep your supply of COVID masks handy.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 05:44:46 PM by Throw Long Bannatyne » Logged
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #73 on: July 20, 2021, 04:46:48 PM »

haha.

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
blue_or_die

« Reply #74 on: July 20, 2021, 05:53:34 PM »

i heart this.

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8  All
  Print  

Jump to: