Blue Bombers Forum
September 23, 2021, 10:38:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Training Camp Daily Reports  (Read 8180 times)
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« on: July 10, 2021, 11:12:52 PM »

"It's a good day for the CFL" | TC Day 1 Recap - Ed Tait

Zach Collaros referred to it as an 'energy' - although it wasn't easy for him to explain or quantify it. And Brandon Alexander used the same description, too. The Winnipeg Blue Bombers were finally back on the field on Saturday for the first day of 2021 training camp. And, for many, it marked the first time they've been in pads since that fateful day in late November of 2019 when this franchise captured its 11th Grey Cup title.

So, hell yeah, it's hard to put all that pent-up excitement, all that giddiness, that emotion and longing into words.

"That's a good question. That's kind of a deeper question... I think I need Woli (Drew Wolitarsky) sitting next to me to really go into depth about that," began Collaros with a grin after Day 1 of Blue Bombers camp on Saturday.

"It's just kind of a feeling you get when you see Stan and Paddy and Mike walking toward you (Bryant, Neufeld and Couture) and they've kind of got that grin on their faces. Willie (Jefferson) and Biggie (Adam Bighill) are coming out and they're yelling, hollering and bringing that energy. Andrew (Harris) has got that cool, calm and collected look and you look over at him and he's laughing about something.

"It's just a calm energy, but when things get going there are certain guys that are louder," he added. "I don't know, it's hard to put into words. But it's kinda like, 'Finally, we're here.' We've been waiting a long time for this. Some of us have been in places where you haven't even really been allowed to be around other human beings. So, it's nice to just be around other people besides my family."

As camp progresses over the next few days/weeks the Bombers will get more into the grind of training camp. There's plenty of continuity to the 2019 Grey Cup champs, sure, but there are jobs to be won both as starters and for roster spots. Day 1, however, was mostly about conditioning and fitness testing. And the whole morning session certainly had a first-day-of-school-feel to it.

At least, that's the analogy Alexander, the Blue Bombers safety, used to describe the vibe.

"It could equivalent to being excited to going to your first year of college," he said. "You haven't seen a friend or maybe a girlfriend or whoever in years... this is a family. You could feel it from the first day.

"We didn't even get on the field and we were looking at each other?s eyes and it was like, 'Wow, we?re really back here looking at each other.? That?s all that mattered. We didn?t even care about the field at that time; the fact that I could see my brother right next to me and be like, 'Wow, we're here. We're here now!' That was most important. That's how exciting it is. We've got big smiles on our faces. I'm ready to go. I'm just happy to be around the guys again. This is like real family to me. I missed these guys."

Even before the pandemic, long gone were the days of full-padded two-a-day practices where players knocked the snot out of each other. And now with no preseason games, with the health and safety protocols in place and players being away from the game for so long - plus with what happened in Saskatchewan earlier this week when four Roughriders were lost with Achilles injuries - the Bombers will slowly ease into training camp.

"It was different, definitely different," said Collaros. "I can't tell you how many conversations I've had this week, whether it was our first in-person meeting or the first meeting on the field today and we're just doing the conditioning stuff where you kind of look around and it's like 'This is a little different. This feels weird.' But once we started warming up it's kind of like a game - once that first snap hits and you're calling the play, the formation, the snap count, the tempo it is and all that you just get back into that mode with the things you've been doing your entire life and it's like you're picking up where you left off.

"It was really exciting today. I know we're excited to get out there and do a full-speed practice."

All of this doesn't mean players aren't being evaluated at all times, of course, but the whole process will have some defined differences. Bombers head coach Mike O'Shea said the change will allow players to learn their assignments before the pace cranks up into next week and then again as the August 5th opener against the Hamilton Tiger-Cats approaches.

Again, though, Day 1 wasn't solely about evaluation. It was a reunion and a rekindling of a love affair this bunch has with the game and their teammates all wrapped up into one big welcome-back moment. And if that sounds hokey, well, so be it.

"It was excellent. It is hard to describe," said O'Shea. "It's an emotionally filled day, that has finally arrived and they're out there working. And as I always say, they're out there working hard. It's a good day. It's a good day for the CFL."

https://www.bluebombers.com/2021/07/10/good-day-cfl-tc-day-1-recap/

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2021, 12:47:37 AM »

Darrin Bauming's Day 1 Training Camp report...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxYzk2BNJrY

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
Pigskin

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2021, 03:45:51 AM »

ZC8 looks like he put on some muscle. Very hot day for the first day of TC.

Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2021, 04:34:03 AM »

Quick Hits - Training Camp July 10, 2021
Ed Tait
@EdTaitWFC

5 Quick Hits on the Bombers? first day of training camp:

1. SETTING THE SCENE: The Bombers were on the field and in gear together for the first time this season Saturday morning and, for many of them, the first time since stepping off the field at McMahon Stadium following the win over the Hamilton Tiger-Cats in the 107th Grey Cup waaaaay back on November 24, 2019.

Health protocols meant Day 1 of camp looked infinitely different than in previous years - all the coaches and staff are wearing masks - and the club concentrated early in the session on gauging the fitness levels with conditioning drills. There were some offensive and defensive drills, but no O vs. D.
With no preseason games and padded practises limited to just once per week - even before the pandemic introduced us to 'social distancing' - this will be a fascinating study as the team readies for the regular-season opener on August 5th against the Ticats at IG Field.

2. CAMP NUMBERS: There are 100 players in camp, including some members of the draft classes from the 2020 and 2021 CFL Draft in DB Noah Hallett, WR Brendan O'Leary-Orange, K Marc Liegghio and linebacker Tanner Cadwallader from 2020 and DB Redha Kramdi, LB Robbie Lowes, RB Kyle Borsa  from this year?s class. Three players from this year's Global Draft in linebacker Les Maruo and offensive lineman Tomoya Machino, both from Japan and linebacker Ayo Oyeola of the United Kingdom.

The numbers, by position:
QB: 4
RB: 4
FB: 1
Rec: 21
OL: 14
DL: 15
LB: 12
DB: 27
K: 1
LS: 1

3. STANDING OUT: It?s impossible to draw any conclusions on opening day, but WR Carlton Agudosi jumps out as a big target at 6-6. He was also one of the players we pointed out earlier this week in our 10 Newcomers to watch piece: https://www.bluebombers.com/2021/07/08/10-newcomers-watch/... Jhavonte Dean took some turns at cornerback in what will be a revamped secondary along with Josh Johnson at halfback. The Bombers do have one side of their secondary to replace with Winston Rose in Cincinnati and Marcus Sayles in B.C... One word to describe WR Cam Meredith after watching the former NFLer - 'smooth.'

4. Just as a clarification, the Bombers moved nine players to the suspended list on Friday - essentially they chose not to come to camp for a variety of reasons. That group includes: DL Connor Griffiths, DB Dexter McDougle, LB Mason Moe, WR MeKale McKay, RB James Williams, RB Josh Caldwell, DE Vontarrius Dora, DB Marwin Evans, WR Malcolm Lewis.

5. FYI: Due to health and safety protocols training camp is unfortunately closed to the public.

Jockitch

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2021, 07:49:22 PM »

Unfortunate to see DL, Nat., Connor Griffiths on the suspended list  ...... believe fans were interested in seeing him compete for a backup role

BOMBERS ARE GREY CUP " CHAMPS "

HUSTLE & MUSCLE
VictorRomano

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2021, 08:29:35 PM »

Unfortunate to see DL, Nat., Connor Griffiths on the suspended list  ...... believe fans were interested in seeing him compete for a backup role

Bombers media has said he intends to move on from football.
1chad

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2021, 08:34:27 PM »

really  appreciate the TC updates, esp. since we cannot be there in person to check it out.
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2021, 10:38:05 PM »

The veteran presence, outstanding coaching staff, continuity from top to bottom in the organization puts us in a sweet spot.  I expect big things.  This team looks awesome on paper.  That all said we could tank and In wouldn't care.  Cfl is so great win, loss or draw.

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2021, 10:45:27 PM »

Day 2

"I know I've got some pretty big shoes to fill" Liegghio ready to fill in for Medlock

There are potentially worse nicknames, we suppose, for a kicker. 'Shanks' comes to mind. Or 'Whiff', 'Wide Right/Left' or the football/soccer combo 'Lionel Missy.'

So 'Legs' - the nickname new Winnipeg Blue Bombers kicker Marc Liegghio has owned for years - absolutely fits for all the right reasons. There's the obvious play on and abbreviation on his last name and, most importantly, for the powerful whomp the Woodbridge, Ont. product packs in his right leg.

"My friend's buddy, when he first met me to come play football, he right away called me 'Legs'," Liegghio explained in a media Zoom call following Day 2 of Blue Bombers training camp. "So, that?s been my nickname for most of the time until now. I've been going with 'Legs' and I say, 'My first name's Marc, last name is Liegghio. But, hey, you can just call me 'Legs.'"

Liegghio is one of the biggest storylines as the Bombers opened training camp this weekend because he is replacing one of the Canadian Football League?s all-time greats in Justin Medlock. As stated previously, the initial plan for the Bombers after they selected Liegghio out of Western University last year - interestingly, with one of the components of the Zach Collaros trade with the Toronto Argonauts - was to have him working alongside Justin Medlock in 2020, with the veteran serving as a kicking sensei of sorts.

"I wish I would have got the chance to work with him because I've watched him play many years and I know he's going to be one of the all-time greats; definitely going to be a hall of famer," Liegghio said. "I'm just going to come in and provide what I can for the team. I know I've got some pretty big shoes to fill - that's basically been the word on me coming here. I'm going to do my best to do what Medlock did for the team and, hopefully, even better."

But with the plug pulled on 2020 and with it the idea of working with Medlock, Liegghio instead spent his time working on his craft with other CFL kickers in southern Ontario and kicking on his own. He also had countless sessions working with his personal trainer and a job at GoodLife Fitness before the gyms shut down. All of which explains the bare-arms/gun show thing happening when Liegghio took off his gear and sat down for his media availability on Sunday.

"I try and make it look like I can match the team," said Liegghio, cracking a smile. "I know kickers have the (reputation) of not being very big guys. I know when I walked in here no one could really tell what position I was playing at first. I take that as a compliment.

"You put the hard work in on the field and the hard work in at the gym just to make you look like a full-on football player. You are a kicker and a punter, but in the end you are a football player and let's say it comes down to making that tackle - I want to be sure I can fit in with those guys and be able to do that for them."

The Bombers drafted Liegghio last year after he led U Sports punters with a 47.5-yard average - setting a new OUA record. He also finished his days with the Mustangs with a 92 percent field goal percentage. They also backed up their faith in him after the Medlock retirement by opting NOT to bring in another challenger to camp. Bombers head coach Mike O'Shea reinforced that late last month when he said the club wasn't asking him to be Justin Medlock, but just be himself.

"I love that he said that, because going into a pro environment, if you can come in and try and match what Medlock did it's not really possible," said Liegghio. "You've got to build up to that. I just think with my confidence I can reach that goal."

There's a quiet confidence and straight-forwardness to Liegghio that, frankly, sounds a bit like his predecessor. Now the key is to look like his predecessor on game day.

"I always want to be better than who I?m playing or who I know I'm up against," said Liegghio. "That's how I?ve always been. I know my last year in university I was second team and first team (all-star) and won some awards... Obviously, the awards are great but I wanted to make sure I was on top of every stat line and make sure I was the guy that everyone wanted to see play. I think I'm going to bring that same mentality to the pro environment.

?I know there?' a lot more pressure out there like full stadiums and that kind of stuff, but that's just noise at that point and then when the ball is snapped I'm just there to do my job and get the three points or punt the ball where I need to."

https://www.bluebombers.com/2021/07/11/know-ive-got-pretty-big-shoes-fill-liegghio-ready-fill-medlock/

ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2021, 01:52:01 AM »

Day 2

Quick Hits - Training Camo July 11, 2021

5 Quick Hits on Day 2 of Blue Bombers training camp:

1. WANTED: A FEW GOOD MEN: The main positional battle/storyline through training camp will be the fight for the two vacant starting jobs in the secondary after CFL All-Star Winston Rose took his act to the Cincinnati Bengals and Marcus Sayles to the B.C. Lions.

The Bombers have brought in veteran Josh Johnson, who has 64 games of CFL experience over five seasons with B.C., Ottawa, Hamilton and Edmonton and - as much as it's dangerous to read too much into this at the start of camp - he has been getting work at halfback with the returning starters. With Mike Jones and Nick Taylor on one side of the secondary, Brandon Alexander at the other and Mercy Maston as the dime back, the Bombers do have returnees in the secondary - although that crew really didn't start working together until the 2019 regular-season finale.

Getting looks at the other cornerback spot on the weekend were Jhavonte Dean, who did spend time on the Saskatchewan Roughriders practice roster at the end of 2019 and was then drafted by the Seattle Dragons of the XFL. He was originally signed by the Cleveland Browns after his college days at Miami, and also had a look from the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Don't expect the starting lineup to be set in cement as soon as camp closes - remember in 2019 Taylor and Maston were added mid-season, Alexander wasn't moved to safety until the fall and Jones wasn't a starter. So, change is inevitable.

"I do believe there will be two new guys, guys that weren't Bombers last year, playing in those spots," said head coach Mike O'Shea after practice on Day 1. "Where they play, we're not sure. We're hoping we find four or five or whatever it is that can step in there and play those spots. Even though it is a shortened season it is a long go in terms of professional football.

"We know what we need to find and we want as much competition for those spots as possible."

2. CAMP NUMBERS: There are now 99 players in camp, after Sunday?s release of DL Anree Saint-Amour.

DL: 14

3. STANDING OUT: A good chunk of the first part of Sunday morning's session was spent on special teams, especially on kick cover. Popping off the page were Bombers draft picks DL Nick Dheilly, LB Robbie Lowes, DB Noah Hallett along with RBs Kyle Borsa and Brady Oliveira... Catching eyes among new receivers were WRs Blake Jackson and Carlton Agudosi... Noticeable with interceptions on D were Willie Jefferson, Adam Bighill, Josh Johnson and Prince Robinson.

4. FAMILIARITY BREEDS... CONTENTMENT: The Bomber QBs - starter Zach Collaros, No. 2 man Sean McGuire and newcomers Dalton Sneed of the University of Montana and Dru Brown of Oklahoma State - were out running and warming up a good half hour before the start of Sunday's session.

Collaros spoke after practice on Saturday about the benefits of having a full training camp for him this season.

"It's going to be huge for me," he said. "When I got here a year and a half ago really, I just had to memorize a game plan. It wasn't Day 1, why do we run this play, why do we run this formation or this motion... it was just, 'Hey this is what we're doing, this is what Calgary, this is what Saskatchewan does and this is why we're doing it.' Now this, in my opinion, is a lot easier in starting from Day 1. I'm treating it like I'm a rookie or completely new to the team.

"There's been a couple 'light-bulb' moments throughout the offseason and into these first 14 meetings that we've had here and even today on the field where it's a light-bulb moment and it?s 'Oh, OK... that makes sense now why we call it that.' So, for me it's starting from scratch."

5. FYI: Due to health and safety protocols training camp is unfortunately closed to the public.

ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2021, 02:08:29 AM »

Darrin Bauming's Day 2 Camp Report...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bL89lyaZnRk

TBURGESS

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2021, 01:45:24 PM »

This year's TC reminds me of the old days before the internet. No fans to give their impressions online. You have to wait until the end of the day to get the media's view of what's going on. The big difference is that I don't have to wait for the evening paper. Welcome to the past younguns.  Grin

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2021, 03:31:44 PM »

Day 3

Ed Tait
@EdTaitWFC
12m
Andrew Harris left @Wpg_BlueBombers practice earlier today and has not returned. Both Brady Oliveira and Kyle Borsa getting a lot of work, especially with Johnny Augustine also nursing something.

@DarrinBauming
Warmup, then run, then stretch.
Rinse.
Repeat.
Day 3 of #Bombers training camp is more fitness and conditioning with heightened concern of player health/fitness. Mike O'Shea says this will continue through Tuesday, and then we can expect practices to return to more normalcy.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2021, 03:35:06 PM by ModAdmin » Logged

GCn19

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2021, 04:01:23 PM »

Day 3

Ed Tait
@EdTaitWFC
12m
Andrew Harris left @Wpg_BlueBombers practice earlier today and has not returned. Both Brady Oliveira and Kyle Borsa getting a lot of work, especially with Johnny Augustine also nursing something.

@DarrinBauming
Warmup, then run, then stretch.
Rinse.
Repeat.
Day 3 of #Bombers training camp is more fitness and conditioning with heightened concern of player health/fitness. Mike O'Shea says this will continue through Tuesday, and then we can expect practices to return to more normalcy.

Yikes...hope Andrew not returning is precautionary.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2021, 04:17:16 PM »

Day 3

Quick Hits | TC July 12, 2021
- Ed Tait

5 Quick Hits on Day 3 of Blue Bombers training camp:

1. OUCH UPDATE: Bombers all-star RB Andrew Harris left practice early in the session and did not return. No word yet on his status. But with Johnny Augustine also on the mend with an undisclosed injury - he is at practice, just not participating - both Brady Oliveira and Kyle Borsa got a ton of reps with the offence on Monday.

We will update with more info as it is available.

2. CAMP NUMBERS:
There are 99 players in camp.

DL: 14

3. FURTHER TO THE ABOVE: The Bombers expect to have around 70 players remain after the team is selected, that includes the 10-man practice squad and the new five-man taxi squad teams can carry because of the impact of the pandemic.

4.  MR. McGUIRE: Bombers second-year QB Sean McGuire spent time during the last year helping coach at his alma mater, Western Illinois. That approach has continued into his second camp with the Bombers, and speaks of his overall comfort level.

"Being in my second year it's fun to be able to coach up a receiver on something that's new for them and help out and get us to where we are and help us win football games," he said. "It feels a lot different than 2019... like, not even knowing where the dorms were in 2019 and getting lost walking back compared to now. It's just nice to have a basis of knowledge and, again, just teaching others and teaching new guys helps me learn as well and I've really enjoyed getting to know these guys and help them come along. We have a smart group and they take to it quick."

5. FYI: Due to health and safety protocols training camp is unfortunately closed to the public? Practice was considerably cooler on Monday with a heavy downpour arriving near the end of the session... Global LB Ayo Oyelola has made a favourable first impression with his speed and overall athleticism.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8  All
  Print  

Jump to: