Blue Bombers Forum
June 12, 2021, 07:43:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: May 4 CFL Draft (Blue Bomber Picks)  (Read 1820 times)
theaardvark

« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2021, 02:49:57 PM »

OL has become a place where we have had an embarrassment of riches the last few years, many teams losing guys the calibre of Chungh and Goossen would not be able to allow a player of Speller's ability to escape.  I think we have a great stable of OL going forward, and adding one a year, we should add the absolute best, and by best, I mean regardless NFL aspirations and based on combination of talent and fit in the team.

As to LB/DB heavy draft, ST's are a huge part of this game, and even bigger in the Bombers game. Grabbing guys, even from SSK, who fit into O'Shea's gameplan, and who can ball out at top level, and back up in a pinch, what "ST Demon" wouldn't love to come here, and stay...

Pretty sure tehy weren't counting on getting Boursa that late in the draft, Ferguson had him going 13th to Ottawa.  It will be interesting to se if he is a guy who will play teams and earn his spot, the way Harris did when he broke in.  We definitely have a Nat RB corps that is going to be scary, especially as they develop.  Olivera is going to be a wold card, again, he should be fully healed with a year off.

It will be interesting to see how the extra time off for everyone works out.  With all 6 provinces approving the return to play so far, the timeline is set, and players have a target to get in top shape by.  We will see who actually does the work, and if anyone rolls in a few pounds heavy and a step slow... they won't last long, there is going to be a LOT of competition at top level in camp, for sure.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2021, 02:59:36 PM »

We will see who actually does the work, and if anyone rolls in a few pounds heavy and a step slow... they won't last long, there is going to be a LOT of competition at top level in camp, for sure.

When IGF reopens, I'll be rolling in a few pounds heavier and a steps slower!!  Grin Grin Cheesy Cheesy  Hope they still let me in  Wink

Never go full Rider!
theaardvark

« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2021, 03:06:42 PM »

When IGF reopens, I'll be rolling in a few pounds heavier and a steps slower!!  Grin Grin Cheesy Cheesy  Hope they still let me in  Wink

By the time IGF opens, we will all be vaccinated, and ready to stand close together in line for mini donuts.  I'm sure us STHs will be very happy that IGF was built with comfort in mind, those wider seats are going to come in handy.  Jets fans are going to have a tight squeeze next season back at the Phone Booth...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2021, 04:29:23 PM »

More on the 2021 Blue Bomber draft picks from Kyle Walters....

Walters breaks down 2021 draft picks

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers want brawlers along the offensive line - guys who can both move the pile of humanity and keep their quarterb'ck clean.

In that respect, there's a lot to like about Liam Dobson - the University of Maine/Texas State product the club selected third overall in Tuesday's Canadian Football League Draft.

And then GM Kyle Walters cranked up the praise Wednesday in media conference call by comparing his skills and demeanour to Chris Walby, the greatest offensive lineman in not only franchise history but, arguably, the CFL.

"There were a lot of good offensive linemen in this draft, we just thought Liam was the most like a Winnipeg Blue Bomber," said Walters. "He's going to remind everybody of Walby. He's just a big bear of a man that's not the nicest guy out on the football field but moves remarkably well for a guy of his size."

The Bombers opted to take a 'futures' like Dobson with their first pick - 'futures' meaning he'll be heading back to school this year and won't appear at a training camp until 2022 - and did the same with University of North Carolina cornerback Patrice Rene in the third round and Bemidji State and Manitoba product Shae Weekes in the sixth round.

But, in many ways, the '21 draft class will be shaped by what the Bombers get from Dobson down the road.....

More on this and other Blue Bomber draft selections here!

« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 04:31:46 PM by ModAdmin » Logged

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
Blue In BC

« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2021, 04:47:12 PM »

The picks make sense based on what Walters is saying. The recipe is complicated. Risk assessment and best fit based on actual needs / timing are part of the equation.

You can only really judge a given draft after a season or 2.

I like what has been said about the choices made. Particularly about Dobson and Rene.

No more excuses.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: