Blue Bombers Forum
June 12, 2021, 07:03:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
  Print  
Author Topic: May 4 CFL Draft (Blue Bomber Picks)  (Read 1819 times)
bwiser

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2021, 02:12:13 PM »

The draft is a crap shoot any year but considering there was no college football in Canada it was even more of a guess.
dizzycamper

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2021, 02:21:55 PM »

Just have to say, very disappointed.

Last nights draft, clearly indicating cost savings measures. Over past few years our group has drafted well and with a purpose. Unless, I'm missing something, I believe there was a purpose directive.

First, the positive. I like our 16th & 48th picks. Special teams is a need on our team and probably will address the need/with a potential fit to the team. Both these guys should provide that.

Now, to the disappointments:

Selecting a first round futures (loads of potential), I can see that. But, again, drafting players such as Berglof, Bandy or Packer were available to the Bombers in the rounds later & bypassed, ($$$$). Over the years, our Cdn o-lineman have spent time developing, before starting. All 3 of these guys, were that type of player. One of these guys should have have been taken at 21 or 34.

I know, arm chair quarterback, but need to vent...

I can't wrap my head around the 21st pick. Yes, high profile player until his injury. Last year, I watched North Carolina games, he never really saw the field. This 21st pick, is strictly what this kid was in his early college year(s), before his injury. The hope I believe, is he comes back to that form this coming fall @ Rutgers, ($$$ & truly a futures hope pick). Fingers crossed, today for 2022, could be a "gem" or a "bust"...

The 34th and 39th picks. Oh my goodness!!!! We needed to select player(s) for our Special Teams unit. A linebacker with a special teams skills, besides the Global player "Les", that was drafted earlier this year . I hope Lowes is that player and the lure of green/white isn't in the back of his mind. Players such as Hladik & Moore were available in the third/fourth rounds and for that matter McDonald could have been drafted earlier, as well. Hence, the comment about drafting an O-lineman later on in draft. I hope I'm wrong about Lowes and that he truly fits the bill and is that "Special Teams Demon", that other teams will take notice off..

The 39th pick is similar to the 21st pick. Its based on the past, rather than the present. Kyle Borsa's combine numbers are out of this world, but my comment is, what have you done on the football field, lately. Sorry, don't know, all I know is what I saw on the combine video, impressive!! Hoping to see the speed, running patterns, holding onto a ball on a football field in 2021 and wearing blue/gold colors...

Anyway, just my opinion... Its a sour one, (maybe its the new AGE CFL), but I'm hoping to see some at training camp and perhaps my thoughts will improve. Today, some disappointment towards those that drafted these guys. I will give the "Newest Bomber Players" a chance, as they rightfully deserve...

Hopefully we can see then at training camp and into the season. Good luck, to them...

the paw

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2021, 02:29:08 PM »

I agree with you, but I have my reservations as to whether Jana can make the transition to the pros. He is slow. Great route runner, hands and smarts but a 4.75/40 sets off alarm bells to me.

Shades of Kito Poblah.  And I say that in full recognition and confession that I was all in on Kito, I thought he was going to be a blue chipper. 

grab grass 'n growl
GCn19

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2021, 03:25:12 PM »

Shades of Kito Poblah.  And I say that in full recognition and confession that I was all in on Kito, I thought he was going to be a blue chipper. 

That's funny because I was all in on Kito too, and my reservations on Jana were also partially formed from reservations about Poblah and a few other receivers coming out of the draft that just don't have the pro speed. Not that speed is everything either as Jade Etienne so aptly taught us.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
GCn19

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2021, 03:27:04 PM »

Just have to say, very disappointed.

Last nights draft, clearly indicating cost savings measures. Over past few years our group has drafted well and with a purpose. Unless, I'm missing something, I believe there was a purpose directive.

First, the positive. I like our 16th & 48th picks. Special teams is a need on our team and probably will address the need/with a potential fit to the team. Both these guys should provide that.

Now, to the disappointments:

Selecting a first round futures (loads of potential), I can see that. But, again, drafting players such as Berglof, Bandy or Packer were available to the Bombers in the rounds later & bypassed, ($$$$). Over the years, our Cdn o-lineman have spent time developing, before starting. All 3 of these guys, were that type of player. One of these guys should have have been taken at 21 or 34.

I know, arm chair quarterback, but need to vent...

I can't wrap my head around the 21st pick. Yes, high profile player until his injury. Last year, I watched North Carolina games, he never really saw the field. This 21st pick, is strictly what this kid was in his early college year(s), before his injury. The hope I believe, is he comes back to that form this coming fall @ Rutgers, ($$$ & truly a futures hope pick). Fingers crossed, today for 2022, could be a "gem" or a "bust"...

The 34th and 39th picks. Oh my goodness!!!! We needed to select player(s) for our Special Teams unit. A linebacker with a special teams skills, besides the Global player "Les", that was drafted earlier this year . I hope Lowes is that player and the lure of green/white isn't in the back of his mind. Players such as Hladik & Moore were available in the third/fourth rounds and for that matter McDonald could have been drafted earlier, as well. Hence, the comment about drafting an O-lineman later on in draft. I hope I'm wrong about Lowes and that he truly fits the bill and is that "Special Teams Demon", that other teams will take notice off..

The 39th pick is similar to the 21st pick. Its based on the past, rather than the present. Kyle Borsa's combine numbers are out of this world, but my comment is, what have you done on the football field, lately. Sorry, don't know, all I know is what I saw on the combine video, impressive!! Hoping to see the speed, running patterns, holding onto a ball on a football field in 2021 and wearing blue/gold colors...

Anyway, just my opinion... Its a sour one, (maybe its the new AGE CFL), but I'm hoping to see some at training camp and perhaps my thoughts will improve. Today, some disappointment towards those that drafted these guys. I will give the "Newest Bomber Players" a chance, as they rightfully deserve...

Hopefully we can see then at training camp and into the season. Good luck, to them...

None of these drafts were cost cutting measures at all. The future picks were taken because we simply don't have the roster room for 2 rounds of draft picks without releasing some quality NATs to make room. Our cupboards are well stocked atm and I would rather we take a futures than to give away good players to other teams.

Blue In BC

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2021, 05:19:45 PM »

None of these drafts were cost cutting measures at all. The future picks were taken because we simply don't have the roster room for 2 rounds of draft picks without releasing some quality NATs to make room. Our cupboards are well stocked atm and I would rather we take a futures than to give away good players to other teams.

Well yes and no. We could have used lower round draft choices for riskier futures such like NFL NDFA's. I wouldn't say that immediate 2021 $$$$ didn't come into play at some level.

Doing that with our 1st pick was a little more questionable. Not a horrible idea and a good long term strategy. Aside from Lokombo who wasn't available there wasn't really a player that could offer more immediate help in 2021?

We still ended up with # 11 and # 12 players in the draft rankings. IIRC 8 of the higher ranked players were already signed in NFL and Lokombo gone to the Riders.

So even as a # 3 pick a future OL seems to make sense.

No more excuses.
blue_or_die

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2021, 05:31:37 PM »

Have his jersey hanging on my wall.

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
GCn19

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2021, 06:43:10 PM »

Well yes and no. We could have used lower round draft choices for riskier futures such like NFL NDFA's. I wouldn't say that immediate 2021 $$$$ didn't come into play at some level.

Doing that with our 1st pick was a little more questionable. Not a horrible idea and a good long term strategy. Aside from Lokombo who wasn't available there wasn't really a player that could offer more immediate help in 2021?

We still ended up with # 11 and # 12 players in the draft rankings. IIRC 8 of the higher ranked players were already signed in NFL and Lokombo gone to the Riders.

So even as a # 3 pick a future OL seems to make sense.

I think Walters loves the 1st round OL and we were in a position that we didn't need immediate help there so we could afford to wait a year or possibly two. Had Dobson been immediately available I don't think we would have taken him but not because he wasn't the BPA (with a realistic chance of actually coming North). I think if Dobson was available immediately we may have gone another direction because OL is not an immediate need and in order to keep Dobson we would have to release either Eli or Gray and that would be plain bad asset management.

So to sum it up, I believe that Walters believes that Dobson in two years was still more beneficial than anyone else available at 3.

dizzycamper

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2021, 07:31:28 PM »

I guess, we will need to agree to disagree . But, I will say:

By my last count we currently have 25 signed National players, which is taking into consideration all of the 2020 drafted players who are signed.. Now, yesterdays drafted players, 3 of them are going back to college/school.... hopefully the other 3 are signed and we have limited cuts prior to the season starting,,,  I'd say, its (roster) running tight...

Now, as for the O-Line, I believe 7 of them are O-Linemen, of which 3 play regular, with the other 4 probably on the roster as back-ups or rostered during the season. Well, I sure don't have a comfort level in saying we don't have roster room. I would have felt much better having one of the 3 O-Line players I mentioned developing in Wpg on the roster, rather than playing in Texas State. Don't get me wrong, Dobson is a great choice, but today, I don't know, but I do see an immediate need here, unless, I'm missing your point. 
the paw

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2021, 10:51:45 PM »

I guess, we will need to agree to disagree . But, I will say:

By my last count we currently have 25 signed National players, which is taking into consideration all of the 2020 drafted players who are signed.. Now, yesterdays drafted players, 3 of them are going back to college/school.... hopefully the other 3 are signed and we have limited cuts prior to the season starting,,,  I'd say, its (roster) running tight...

Now, as for the O-Line, I believe 7 of them are O-Linemen, of which 3 play regular, with the other 4 probably on the roster as back-ups or rostered during the season. Well, I sure don't have a comfort level in saying we don't have roster room. I would have felt much better having one of the 3 O-Line players I mentioned developing in Wpg on the roster, rather than playing in Texas State. Don't get me wrong, Dobson is a great choice, but today, I don't know, but I do see an immediate need here, unless, I'm missing your point. 

No, having Dobson go back to school is the right move.  They are starting Couture, neufeld and Desjarlais.  Eli and Gray are both going to dress as depth.  They both need actual game reps to develop, even if it is only on jumbo package.  If someone gets dinged, it is no big thing to go with one back up.

Kolankowski is a PR project who only makes the roster if we have several catastrophic injuries.  Dobson is too good to bury on the PR, and he will develop more rapidly by playing in Texas.  This is good asset management.

grab grass 'n growl
dizzycamper

« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2021, 08:19:56 AM »

No, having Dobson go back to school is the right move.  They are starting Couture, neufeld and Desjarlais.  Eli and Gray are both going to dress as depth.  They both need actual game reps to develop, even if it is only on jumbo package.  If someone gets dinged, it is no big thing to go with one back up.

Kolankowski is a PR project who only makes the roster if we have several catastrophic injuries.  Dobson is too good to bury on the PR, and he will develop more rapidly by playing in Texas.  This is good asset management.

Exactly and not debating that Dobson was a bad choice.  Dobson is a excellent choice for 2022 or beyond, got that. The O-Line depth chart I know as well, but there lies my concern.

I hope that when someone gets dinged, its as you say "it is no big thing to go with one back up", that its minor not catastrophic. Shopping for O-Lineman maybe costly during the season, especially for a Canuck. I've seen teams have two (2) players go down in a game.

Speller needs to be replaced "sooner than later" by a depth player with some knowledge of the Bomber playbook and a training camp. I get your points, but asset management aside, I don't have a comfort level with only 7 Cdn O-Lineman in Wpg, for the reasons you mention, injuries. Besides, a pro-active move, would go a long way.   

But, heading into training camp with only 7 players on the O-Line is a concern of mine.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 08:31:23 PM by ModAdmin » Logged
GCn19

« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2021, 12:08:56 PM »

If we were to put any of Dobson, Eli, or Gray on the PR ..and we would have to do so...we would lose them in a New York minute. I understand dizzy's concerns but we will be much better off with a project OL on the PR right now than a stud OL waiting to get picked off. Also, should we get a couple of OL injuries (knock on wood) we always have the option of bringing in a IMP OL and making ratio elsewhere. I don't see that as a catastrophe that would make us expose young developing stud OL on the PR. Further to that, who knows if Eli or Gray would accept a PR spot. I think Gray would retire and move on personally.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 12:13:22 PM by GCn19 » Logged

Jesse

« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2021, 01:42:15 PM »

If we were to put any of Dobson, Eli, or Gray on the PR ..and we would have to do so...we would lose them in a New York minute. I understand dizzy's concerns but we will be much better off with a project OL on the PR right now than a stud OL waiting to get picked off. Also, should we get a couple of OL injuries (knock on wood) we always have the option of bringing in a IMP OL and making ratio elsewhere. I don't see that as a catastrophe that would make us expose young developing stud OL on the PR. Further to that, who knows if Eli or Gray would accept a PR spot. I think Gray would retire and move on personally.

I think we have to also to be open to the fact that there will be players under contract that won?t be coming back.

We?ve seen a few players around the league retire and the rumblings have been that many more have moved on but haven?t bothered to go through any of the process. Walters might even be aware of some of them.

My wife is amazing!
the paw

« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2021, 03:18:49 PM »

I think we have to also to be open to the fact that there will be players under contract that won?t be coming back.

We?ve seen a few players around the league retire and the rumblings have been that many more have moved on but haven?t bothered to go through any of the process. Walters might even be aware of some of them.

I think that's exactly why they picked Dobson.  We have 4 young, top notch player/prospects, one solid veteran in Neufeld, and a competent insurance policy in Kolankowski.  But a year from now, Neufeld might retire, one or two of the others might make a move in free agency, etc.  which is why it is important to have someone like Dobson in the pipeline.

They way Walters worked his roster over on extensions and free agent prioritization, I would not expect any surprise retirements from the o-line.  As much as possible, I think Walters has done his due diligence on that front, and that informed his draft strategy.

grab grass 'n growl
GCn19

« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2021, 01:49:36 PM »

I think that's exactly why they picked Dobson.  We have 4 young, top notch player/prospects, one solid veteran in Neufeld, and a competent insurance policy in Kolankowski.  But a year from now, Neufeld might retire, one or two of the others might make a move in free agency, etc.  which is why it is important to have someone like Dobson in the pipeline.

They way Walters worked his roster over on extensions and free agent prioritization, I would not expect any surprise retirements from the o-line.  As much as possible, I think Walters has done his due diligence on that front, and that informed his draft strategy.

I'm not expecting any surprise retirements either, but part of that is because realistically we deferred Dobson to a time when his arrival wouldn't force any of our current guys to the PR because in all likelihood we lose Neufeld to retirement by the time he arrives. I still stand by my statement that if Dobson were coming into camp this year and it forced Gray to the PR then I think he would just retire and use his engineer degree, and if he didn't retire he or Eli would get scooped off the PR in a New York minute. The Riders and Lions would be salivating at that chance imo.

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
  Print  

Jump to: