Blue Bombers Forum
September 30, 2022, 06:10:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 59
  Print  
Author Topic: Covid 19  (Read 89050 times)
Pigskin

« Reply #810 on: April 20, 2022, 07:58:28 PM »

1 of every 4 Canadians has had covid.  That's pretty crazy. Many Canadians more then once.

Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.
bluengold204

« Reply #811 on: April 20, 2022, 10:46:38 PM »

1 of every 4 Canadians has had covid.  That's pretty crazy. Many Canadians more then once.

Don?t think that?s very accurate? I know way more people who hasn?t had COVID then those who has. 
theaardvark

« Reply #812 on: April 20, 2022, 11:19:28 PM »

Don?t think that?s very accurate? I know way more people who hasn?t had COVID then those who has. 

I agree.  Since they are no longer tracking positives because most people are using RATs, there is no way to accurately track just how many cases have happened.  Plus, with the newer variants having much higher asymptomatic infections, no idea if I've had it or not (tested negative yesterday... had a headache and sore throat when I woke up, so I tested)

Not sure if we are at 75%,   but if we go by my contacts and co-workers, its definitely 75%...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Pigskin

« Reply #813 on: April 20, 2022, 11:38:38 PM »

I know more people that haven't had Covid also. However this is a report that was sent to my wife and every Doctor in Manitoba. Like it or not, that what has been reported.

blue_or_die

« Reply #814 on: April 21, 2022, 06:33:00 PM »

I think the number is based on other metrics like wastewater testing and other variables with their statistically-determined deviation and not testing.

Back2Back Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
theaardvark

« Reply #815 on: April 21, 2022, 07:11:49 PM »

I misread what you said... I don't agree... i think the numbers are higher than 1 in 4... much higher... like I said, 75% of my staff have had it, most of my friends have had it, too many of my twitter peeps have had it...  home testing has caused seriously under reporting of cases... and while Omicron and BA2 are much less likely to cause bad outcomes, hospital numbers are not dropping by a commensurate amount, in fact they are rising. 

Omicron and BA2 are not as deadly, thank goodness.  The Flu kills a number of people every year, and we have accepted that as a fact, even though we do have vaccines that could prevent most outbreaks, and mitigation (masks) that could prevent most spread.  I think we are allowing COVID to enter into that realm of acceptability.  "I'm gonna get it, its going to give me a headache and some other symptoms, and I'll get better" seems to be the majority consensus, which was not the case with Alpha, Beta, Gamma or even Delta. 

These strains scared the shirt (hold the r) out of us.  But now that the dominant strain is like a bad flu, we need to "breathe free" and "not live our lives in fear".  Except that some people are still at risk of dying.  More likely than most people were when the pandemic started.  So now, these people are banished from society.  Because masks are too uncomfortable, and we need to take the whole family to grocery store...

I know nothing is going to change from my rant, and that no amount of calling for compassion will make certain people compassionate.  I just wish there was a little more that we could do for those at risk. 

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
bomb squad

« Reply #816 on: April 21, 2022, 08:25:05 PM »

In my circle, 1 in 4 is about right.
blue_or_die

« Reply #817 on: April 21, 2022, 09:15:06 PM »

I misread what you said... I don't agree... i think the numbers are higher than 1 in 4... much higher... like I said, 75% of my staff have had it, most of my friends have had it, too many of my twitter peeps have had it...  home testing has caused seriously under reporting of cases... and while Omicron and BA2 are much less likely to cause bad outcomes, hospital numbers are not dropping by a commensurate amount, in fact they are rising. 

Omicron and BA2 are not as deadly, thank goodness.  The Flu kills a number of people every year, and we have accepted that as a fact, even though we do have vaccines that could prevent most outbreaks, and mitigation (masks) that could prevent most spread.  I think we are allowing COVID to enter into that realm of acceptability.  "I'm gonna get it, its going to give me a headache and some other symptoms, and I'll get better" seems to be the majority consensus, which was not the case with Alpha, Beta, Gamma or even Delta. 

These strains scared the shirt (hold the r) out of us.  But now that the dominant strain is like a bad flu, we need to "breathe free" and "not live our lives in fear".  Except that some people are still at risk of dying.  More likely than most people were when the pandemic started.  So now, these people are banished from society.  Because masks are too uncomfortable, and we need to take the whole family to grocery store...

I know nothing is going to change from my rant, and that no amount of calling for compassion will make certain people compassionate.  I just wish there was a little more that we could do for those at risk.

I do understand your worry and concern as an at-risk family. Certainly the past 2 year has an especially difficult time for you.

I do have to wonder, though, how reasonable it really is to ask everyone to do even simple things like going to the grocery store as a family or to go to a concert unmasked (2 things I have done in the last week) for more than 2 years? When this whole thing started, I knew it was important to take the measures seriously and weather the storm for the common good, but at that time I knew there would be an expiration date for how long it would be reasonable to ask people to tolerate even those simple things once "the worst of covid" was over (not exactly saying that's true at this time or not). I still wear a mask in the grocery store to "sort of try to protect others" but I've taken it off at the gym as I was down to the last one wearing one and it felt pointless. I've never been too worried about myself, it's been about other people the whole time so without widespread compliance it's a bit moot.

I don't think the time for compassion is over but I do think the time to accept the longer term reality of this is pretty much here, barring an outbreak of a very deadly variant...which could happen, but is it reasonable to assume it is and live restricted just in case it does?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2022, 09:18:47 PM by blue_or_die » Logged

theaardvark

« Reply #818 on: April 22, 2022, 12:12:56 AM »

I do understand your worry and concern as an at-risk family. Certainly the past 2 year has an especially difficult time for you.

I do have to wonder, though, how reasonable it really is to ask everyone to do even simple things like going to the grocery store as a family or to go to a concert unmasked (2 things I have done in the last week) for more than 2 years? When this whole thing started, I knew it was important to take the measures seriously and weather the storm for the common good, but at that time I knew there would be an expiration date for how long it would be reasonable to ask people to tolerate even those simple things once "the worst of covid" was over (not exactly saying that's true at this time or not). I still wear a mask in the grocery store to "sort of try to protect others" but I've taken it off at the gym as I was down to the last one wearing one and it felt pointless. I've never been too worried about myself, it's been about other people the whole time so without widespread compliance it's a bit moot.

I don't think the time for compassion is over but I do think the time to accept the longer term reality of this is pretty much here, barring an outbreak of a very deadly variant...which could happen, but is it reasonable to assume it is and live restricted just in case it does?

I am grateful for the people that have been vaccinated, and for those that have made sacrifices through the tough parts of this pandemic. 

We have entered a time that is much les dangerous for most, but as much as people have the right to not wear masks, there should be the right to require mitigation in certain instances.  Places where there are concentrations of at rick people (hospitals, long term care facilities, doctors offices) or places where exposure is unavoidable (planes, trains, transit).  And businesses (retail, restaurants) should be allowed to invoke restrictions without prejudice / persecution for the protection and comfort of thier employees / patrons. 

Its a mask.  We have learned how to tolerate them over the last two years, its not some violation of your rights like the convoy idiots would have people believe.  And its not like there won't be the majority of places / businesses that sill have no restrictions.

When restrictions were lifted, you know people were hesitant to go out the same way they did when they felt safer.  Some may have reveled in the "freedom", but I think many more decided to stay home.  I know I haven't been to a sit down restaurant or a movie since restrictions were lifted, and I know a lot of people in the same boat.  But if a restaurant had a mitigation area, or a "restricted" night, I'd probably go to that restaurant. 

Not sure how the mask mandate lifting for air travel is working so far, but Westjet just had a 15% off any flight sale for the first time I've seen in a while... I guess we will see what the numbers are like and if reservations / cancellations are affected, no doubt we will hear about it.  I still think the old smoking / non-smoking dynamic for planes and restaurants could be adopted for mitigation / non mitigation...

blue_or_die

« Reply #819 on: April 22, 2022, 01:40:37 PM »

I am grateful for the people that have been vaccinated, and for those that have made sacrifices through the tough parts of this pandemic. 

We have entered a time that is much les dangerous for most, but as much as people have the right to not wear masks, there should be the right to require mitigation in certain instances.  Places where there are concentrations of at rick people (hospitals, long term care facilities, doctors offices) or places where exposure is unavoidable (planes, trains, transit).  And businesses (retail, restaurants) should be allowed to invoke restrictions without prejudice / persecution for the protection and comfort of thier employees / patrons. 

Its a mask.  We have learned how to tolerate them over the last two years, its not some violation of your rights like the convoy idiots would have people believe.  And its not like there won't be the majority of places / businesses that sill have no restrictions.

When restrictions were lifted, you know people were hesitant to go out the same way they did when they felt safer.  Some may have reveled in the "freedom", but I think many more decided to stay home.  I know I haven't been to a sit down restaurant or a movie since restrictions were lifted, and I know a lot of people in the same boat.  But if a restaurant had a mitigation area, or a "restricted" night, I'd probably go to that restaurant. 

Not sure how the mask mandate lifting for air travel is working so far, but Westjet just had a 15% off any flight sale for the first time I've seen in a while... I guess we will see what the numbers are like and if reservations / cancellations are affected, no doubt we will hear about it.  I still think the old smoking / non-smoking dynamic for planes and restaurants could be adopted for mitigation / non mitigation...

I don't really disagree with any of that.

One thing though, I think you're overestimating the amount of folks that are hesitant to proceed out "as normal" since restrictions were lifted. I know I did. I really expected things to ramp slowly and that's not been my experience at all. Like I said, I was the last to wear a mask in a lot of settings I go to. When I went to a restaurant for pregame drinks before a concert last week, I walked in with my mask thinking that the staff would have them on and that the "new normal" would be to have the mask unless seated but I turned out to be the only one in the packed, shoulder-to-shoulder place and so I embarrassingly took it off. Then the concert itself was metal and I had floor tickets so it was a mosh pit which is the polar opposite of covid restrictions! I cannot believe I haven't gotten it yet. Then again, I thoroughly believe I had it around New Year's but 5 tests over 5 days wasn't able to capture it..

theaardvark

« Reply #820 on: April 22, 2022, 02:52:57 PM »

I don't really disagree with any of that.

One thing though, I think you're overestimating the amount of folks that are hesitant to proceed out "as normal" since restrictions were lifted. I know I did. I really expected things to ramp slowly and that's not been my experience at all. Like I said, I was the last to wear a mask in a lot of settings I go to. When I went to a restaurant for pregame drinks before a concert last week, I walked in with my mask thinking that the staff would have them on and that the "new normal" would be to have the mask unless seated but I turned out to be the only one in the packed, shoulder-to-shoulder place and so I embarrassingly took it off. Then the concert itself was metal and I had floor tickets so it was a mosh pit which is the polar opposite of covid restrictions! I cannot believe I haven't gotten it yet. Then again, I thoroughly believe I had it around New Year's but 5 tests over 5 days wasn't able to capture it..

We all live in different circles, and I know that the younger crowds are done with COVID and in general don't care.  And there are enough of those to pack certain venues, like the Pal. where one of my staff caught it (she was the oldest one in the crowd, but all her posse got it.  Her daughter (birthday) had the worst outcome)

Many places have retained masks for staff, others haven't.  Our local Co-Op grocery has, and our local Save On hasn't.  My wife will not go to Save On anymore because of that.  Likewise, local McMuun, no staff masks, local Home Depot still masking.  Guess which one I go to exclusively now?

There are, no doubt, some venues that have had a drop in business since restrictions ended.  After they lifted vaccine requirements for theatres, I was amazed at how few seats would show up as sold on their ticketing site.  Anecdotal, and I don't know what the actual numbers are, and would love to know.  I thought for sure there wold be huge crowds, but I guess the number of un-vaxxed who could now go were far outnumbered by those who just weren't ready to be awash in droplets from potentially un-vaxxed patrons.  If theatres had "Vaxxed Wednesdays" and required proof of vaccine, I think they'd get a good turnout... similarly if places like the Keg did that... and had all staff masked...

We have a "normal" now that is a mish mosh of vaccine, masks and "freedom".  I just think we need to have a "virus mitigation normal" that is allowed to exist without anti-vaxxers and anti-maskers attacking and violating those people's freedoms to be safer.

bluengold204

« Reply #821 on: April 22, 2022, 03:44:49 PM »

We all live in different circles, and I know that the younger crowds are done with COVID and in general don't care.  And there are enough of those to pack certain venues, like the Pal. where one of my staff caught it (she was the oldest one in the crowd, but all her posse got it.  Her daughter (birthday) had the worst outcome)

Many places have retained masks for staff, others haven't.  Our local Co-Op grocery has, and our local Save On hasn't.  My wife will not go to Save On anymore because of that.  Likewise, local McMuun, no staff masks, local Home Depot still masking.  Guess which one I go to exclusively now?

There are, no doubt, some venues that have had a drop in business since restrictions ended.  After they lifted vaccine requirements for theatres, I was amazed at how few seats would show up as sold on their ticketing site.  Anecdotal, and I don't know what the actual numbers are, and would love to know.  I thought for sure there wold be huge crowds, but I guess the number of un-vaxxed who could now go were far outnumbered by those who just weren't ready to be awash in droplets from potentially un-vaxxed patrons.  If theatres had "Vaxxed Wednesdays" and required proof of vaccine, I think they'd get a good turnout... similarly if places like the Keg did that... and had all staff masked...

We have a "normal" now that is a mish mosh of vaccine, masks and "freedom".  I just think we need to have a "virus mitigation normal" that is allowed to exist without anti-vaxxers and anti-maskers attacking and violating those people's freedoms to be safer.

To be honest I don?t think you really have a clue about what your talking about.  I don?t think any business is now suffering from restrictions being lifted.  I would say it?s probably the opposite.  Movie theatres in general is a dying business, especially with streaming services putting movies out quicker and quicker.  The Batman is already streamable on Crave.  I just went to the keg last week (Garry St location).  There was 40 min wait times to get a table and the lobby packed with people waiting.  We had a reservation so we were good but certainly didn?t look like they were hurting for business.
blue_or_die

« Reply #822 on: April 22, 2022, 06:02:35 PM »

Yeah I don't think this is true. It'll take a while for things to get back to pre-covid numbers but in my anecdotal experience places are pretty bumping, especially compared to pre-lifting of restrictions. There might be a few older folks who aren't but it seems to be a pretty small minority.

theaardvark

« Reply #823 on: April 22, 2022, 06:27:00 PM »

To be honest I don?t think you really have a clue about what your talking about.  I don?t think any business is now suffering from restrictions being lifted.  I would say it?s probably the opposite.  Movie theatres in general is a dying business, especially with streaming services putting movies out quicker and quicker.  The Batman is already streamable on Crave.  I just went to the keg last week (Garry St location).  There was 40 min wait times to get a table and the lobby packed with people waiting.  We had a reservation so we were good but certainly didn?t look like they were hurting for business.

Not saying every business will be affected every day... especially places that had lineups pre-covid on busy nights.  Just saying, there are customers out there they may not be reaching now, where they could with a "safety night"...  sort of like when CostCo opened up early for first responders and seniors..

With "at risk" people being told "You are on your own", it would be nice to get some help in making life a little more "normal".  Without the haters crashing the party, demanding to be allowed in unvaxxed and unmasked... because you know the moment a store/restaurant offers an off time opportunity for "at risk" clients to enjoy mitigated service, the "freedom convoy" will be there demanding entry during those times, even though they would have full access 90% of the time...  

The reason the big screen still exists, and the paradigm of first release being on the big screens is because of the event.  Watching in a room full of people, with a THX sound system ratting your bones, on a screen bigger than your house, its an event people pay for.  Theatre popcorn, expensive candies, 3d glasses...  its not going the way of the DVD any time soon.  With Netflix tanking, there might be a move back to theatrical release to be able to pay for production of blockbusters.  

Making it safe in our new world is the key.  Ventilation, spacing, and yes, even vaccine status can make it safer.  "At risk Wednesdays" could actually give theatres added income, rather than decreased.  Go back to pandemic 25% capacity (probably triple the current sales, or more) and require vaccine status / mask when mobile.  There are a large number of people out there that don't feel comfortable with the current situation who may not even be at risk who would take advantage.

Yeah I don't think this is true. It'll take a while for things to get back to pre-covid numbers but in my anecdotal experience places are pretty bumping, especially compared to pre-lifting of restrictions. There might be a few older folks who aren't but it seems to be a pretty small minority.

Again, it depends on the circles you travel in.  There are many people "at risk", who are on immunosuppressants, cancer treatments or in recovery, have asthma or diabetes or have other health concerns that are scared to get COVID, even if the new variants aren't as dangerous.  People are still dying, and it is still scary to some of us.   

Pigskin

« Reply #824 on: April 23, 2022, 03:28:48 AM »

As much as I support the wearing of masks in public and vaccinations, I can't see the government putting restriction back in place to protect the vulnerable. The government has made it very clear that we have to learn how to live with Covid. It's been 2 years and most people are feed up with Covid and want to get out and enjoy there freedom again. I believe if you feel uncomfortable in public spaces as we do, wear your mask, wash your hands, and keep up on your vaccinations.

Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 59
  Print  

Jump to: