Blue Bombers Forum
October 22, 2021, 04:31:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: On Time Season Start? (Revised with August 5, 2021 Start)  (Read 10895 times)
TecnoGenius

« Reply #105 on: May 13, 2021, 07:20:00 PM »

Fifty per cent of the seats available will be for vaccinated fans with no social distancing required, while 50 per cent of the seats will be for unvaccinated fans and require distancing of six feet.

You mean if I don't get a vax I'm guaranteed not to be seated next to a 400 lb fan who is taking up half of my seat too?  That might be a bonus!!   Wink Wink Cheesy Cheesy Grin Grin Grin  Granted, not as a big a problem as it was on the Canadinns benches, but still a problem, and with my "new random seat every game" method of buying tickets, it happens more than you'd think!  (I have nothing against big fans, they usually are some of the best fans, but the lean-halfway-out-of-my-seat thing gets tiresome (and sore) after the first hour.)

Shocked Shocked

Never go full Rider!
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« Reply #106 on: May 22, 2021, 07:08:36 PM »

CFL Players' Association 'pressing league' to commit to August 5 start date

.......The Canadian Football League Players' Association wants a unanimous guarantee from the board of governors regarding the targeted kick-off date for a potential 2021 season.

Union president Solomon Elimimian sent a memo to the membership on Friday, May 21.

We are continuing discussions with the league on both; the start of a season, and the mechanics of modifying the collective agreement to accommodate a COVID-restricted environment. Your bargaining committee is pressing the league to commit to the start date of August 5th, 2021, so you can get your affairs in order and prepare to play football.

With that said, the provincial and federal health authorities have the last word on when we can start training camp and begin a shortened season as there needs to be an allowance for a percentage of fan attendance.

We are also working with the CFL to access the CEWS program for eligible players, and we continue to work with them to ensure a smooth rollout of the payments.

Our communication lines remain open, and we urge you to contact your player reps, executive, and CFLPA office directly if you have any questions or comments.

The league office has targeted August 5 as a potential kick-off date for the regular season this year. After that announcement from commissioner Randy Ambrosie, the CFLPA advised players not to make any decisions related to current employment..........

https://3downnation.com/2021/05/21/cfl-players-association-pressing-league-to-commit-to-august-5-start-date/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=cfl-players-association-pressing-league-to-commit-to-august-5-start-date

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
Pigskin

« Reply #107 on: May 22, 2021, 08:46:47 PM »

Well let's hope that the Government and the CFL can come up with a start date, and also that all important percentage of fans that can attend.

Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #108 on: May 25, 2021, 08:45:15 PM »

CFL Players' Association 'pressing league' to commit to August 5 start date

.......The Canadian Football League Players' Association wants a unanimous guarantee from the board of governors regarding the targeted kick-off date for a potential 2021 season.

Union president Solomon Elimimian sent a memo to the membership on Friday, May 21.

Good for Solly!  That's exactly what I want too.  I think all fans deserve a guarantee, no more of this perpetual "4 months later" can-kicking.

Side question: can Solly still be CFLPA "union president" if he's no longer a player? (Now that he retired.)

Never go full Rider!
Blue In BC

« Reply #109 on: May 26, 2021, 12:47:48 PM »

I was thinking there would be pre season games and TC would start weekend of July 24th as my guess. Just a guess though. USA trending is very encouraging across the country.

Yesterday BC announced the staged plan to re-open. That includes projecting full stadiums about September 7th. That's if vaccinations continue at current rates and infections / hospital rates continue to go down.

That's a bunch of if's but things are headed in the right direction in BC. Now if other provinces can similarly improve their same trends, maybe we'll actually see some football. Most fans in the stands by early September would work financially?Huh??

EDIT: Just read on Facebook that the league announced / confirmed Aug 5 start to season. TC to open July 14th after 2 week quarantine for players. Nothing mentioned about whether pre season games are a go or not.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 03:00:32 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

2019 Grey Cup Champions
Blue In BC

« Reply #110 on: May 26, 2021, 04:14:18 PM »

Now I'm reading my earlier post was inaccurate and the league has not advised players about August 5th start. That had been posted by NBC news and was not accurate and contradicted by the league.

Also read BC PM wants to push start later in August. That might tie in with expected stage 4 timeline of Sept 7 for large outdoor venue with normal crowds.

So nothing concrete once again.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 04:43:22 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

2019 Grey Cup Champions
Cool Spot

« Reply #111 on: May 27, 2021, 03:32:18 AM »

BC Dr Henry says no large crowds this summer and possibly fall as well as the expected direction moving forward.

Ah. So basically no change in Toronto.
theaardvark

« Reply #112 on: May 27, 2021, 02:09:59 PM »

If the CFL thinks that waiting for a guarantee that fans will be in every stadium before they decide on a season start date is a viable option for this year, then we might as well kiss the season goodbye. 

Some teams are going to have to take it in the teeth when the season starts if the province the are in does not allow fans in the stands.  No silly "20% reduction in player compensation" for games played with no fans, just suck it up, buttercup.  Maybe get the teams to agree to a small revenue share to offset teams that will not have fans, and I mean small... maybe 10% of live gates go into a pool to be shared by no gate teams.  Or even shared based on % attendance allowed.

The CFL needs to set a start date, a TC date and just do it.  Enough futzing around, waiting for answers. 

No one knows what next month will bring, with vaccines flowing like water, we should have enough fully vaccinated fans ready to go to games... and provinces should be loosening protocols for fully vaccinated people.  Manitoba has already loosened the restrictions for fully vaccinated people, if you are 14 days past shot#2, and you are a close contact of an active case, you do not have to self quarantine!  Step one towards opening up.

Tickets will have to have a disclaimer along the lines of "use of this ticket presumes the buyer is fully vaccinated against COVID-19, and should the buyer not be fully vaccinated, or should they contract COVID-19 even though they are fully vaccinated, the football club, stadium and all related parties will not be held responsible for any or all costs or expenses incurred therein."  or something to that effect...  I'm sure the the NHL, MLB or NFL in the US has the language worked out...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Blue In BC

« Reply #113 on: May 27, 2021, 03:41:24 PM »

Obviously there are many moving parts in the decision. That said it's necessary to make a predictive analysis and a resolution.

The league can't / shouldn't announce a short notice to all parties involved. Facilities, services, booking / planning travel etc all take some preparation.

We won't know with certainty about attendance levels for awhile. There doesn't seem to be any money coming to offset the reduction of revenue.

I'm not quite in the " just do it " crowd but do agree the gating issues need to be determined. A plan put in place with contingencies.

The beginning of July is 35 days away. Quarantine and TC starting 2-3 weeks afterwards? Every team has massive rosters that need to be trimmed in some form of rookie camp in this process.

Tick tock, tick tock, tick tock.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]  All
  Print  

Jump to: