Blue Bombers Forum
August 05, 2021, 08:44:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8  All
  Print  
Author Topic: On Time Season Start? (Revised with August 5, 2021 Start)  (Read 8323 times)
Pigskin

« Reply #75 on: April 19, 2021, 07:50:37 PM »

Canada Day would be nice.
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #76 on: April 20, 2021, 04:45:10 PM »

That's exactly why I stopped a couple of days ago.

It's probably time for a mod to step in and either clean up the trash or just lock the thread. It's been completely derailed.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
Still can't fix stupid. Can't quarantine it, either.
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« Reply #77 on: April 21, 2021, 03:23:57 AM »

The thread has been cleaned up.  Comments related to the COVID situation, previously in this thread, can be found in the following link on the Offside Forum.

http://forums.bluebombers.com/index.php?topic=53154.0

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #78 on: April 21, 2021, 04:09:53 PM »

Looks like an August start is the best we can expect for the 2021 CFL season: https://www.tsn.ca/cfl-announces-plans-for-shortened-season-starting-in-august-1.1627462

I am cautiously optimistic about this development.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
Still can't fix stupid. Can't quarantine it, either.
Blue In BC

« Reply #79 on: April 21, 2021, 04:36:54 PM »

Well we finally got some news. It could have been worse but it's probably just their best guess at the moment.

Potentially it's a 22% reduction in games and in theory what players will earn?  IMO I'd draw a line here. Any further delay or reduction in games to this would be more problem than solution. As is we'll have to see how players react.

Didn't see whether pre season games would still be played. Nothing really of significance about XFL talks. Nothing about finding actual financing needed. No certainty of fans in the stands.

So IMO this is just smoke and mirrors. Blah, blah, blah. See quote below:

What I can say is that in this announcement, behind this announcement, are backup plans and backup plans to our backup plans and backup plans to the backup plans.

Excuse rant. Disappointed, depressed about continued uncertainty.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 04:46:05 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

2019 Grey Cup Champions
TBURGESS

« Reply #80 on: April 21, 2021, 05:03:26 PM »

It's a hope and prayer announcement. IMO, if they were confident they'd have released a new schedule. They wouldn't be saying everything is still on the table or that there might be no pre-season games or that the CFLPA hasn't signed off on it.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.
blue_or_die

« Reply #81 on: April 21, 2021, 05:30:29 PM »

Essentially nothing substantive.

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
Blue In BC

« Reply #82 on: April 21, 2021, 05:36:51 PM »

I suspect we'll hear from a few players or the CFLPA at some point in the near future.

I agree that the comments about possibility of no pre season, rookie camps or shortened TC are all very concerning.

How do you fill a roster based on that? eenie meenie, minee mo?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 05:39:49 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

2019 Grey Cup Champions
Pigskin

« Reply #83 on: April 21, 2021, 06:02:00 PM »

About what some of us thought. Canada Day to Labor Day start. At this point we will take what we can get.
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« Reply #84 on: April 21, 2021, 06:49:40 PM »

CFL Announces Plans To Return-to-play For 2021 Season

TORONTO - The Canadian Football League (CFL) Commissioner Randy Ambrosie issued the following statement on Wednesday announcing the League's Return-to-Play plans for the 2021 season:

"We will play CFL football in 2021.

"Our revised target date to start our regular season is August 5. To facilitate a 14-game season, for our players, fans and partners, we are re-scheduling the Grey Cup to December 12 in Hamilton, Ontario.

"I say 'target date' because our plans are subject to the state of COVID-19 across the country. A so-called 'third wave' in some provinces is forcing us today to postpone the start of our regular season, which had been scheduled for June 10.

"So, what must be in place for us to kick off on August 5? Two things. 1. The approval of public health officials across the country of our plans for protecting the health of our players, coaches, and ultimately our fans, so a 2021 season is safe. 2. Permission from governments to host a significant number of fans in the stands, in a significant number of venues at the start of the season, and in the rest of our venues soon after that, so a 2021 season is financially tenable for our clubs.

"The CFL depends on ticket revenue more than other professional sports leagues in North America. Fans in the stands account for at least half of our revenue. Our clubs already stand to suffer substantial financial losses this year. Playing without fans in the stands would dramatically increase those losses.

"We are prepared to be creative as well as prudent. For example, if we are unable to host fans in the East because of COVID-19, we are prepared to start play in the West, provided eastern teams can return to their home provinces, and play in front of their fans, later in the season.

"And we have contingency plans in place, should factors beyond our control delay the start of our season beyond August 5. The bottom line is we are optimistic we will have a season in 2021, culminating in a great Grey Cup.

"Everyone who loves the CFL can help us and their communities. Please, when it is your turn, get vaccinated. And please follow your local public health guidelines on measures including wearing a mask and social distancing.

"To our players, fans and partners: thank you for your patience as well as your passion for our game. Thank you all the frontline workers out there for all they're doing for all of us. We look forward to keeping you posted on our progress and to kicking off another great season of CFL football on August 5."

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
blue_or_die

« Reply #85 on: April 21, 2021, 07:18:02 PM »

Given the weirdness of the year and mostly because the GC would be mid-December, why not just defer the location to Vancouver? There's a dome, better weather, and a huge stadium to space out in if there are to be fans attending?

bomb squad

« Reply #86 on: April 21, 2021, 07:46:43 PM »

They said about as much as I could reasonably expect at this time. It's a plan. Mid June should give us a good picture of the vaccine effect and timeline. I'm encouraged.
blue_or_die

« Reply #87 on: April 21, 2021, 07:59:25 PM »

They said about as much as I could reasonably expect at this time. It's a plan. Mid June should give us a good picture of the vaccine effect and timeline. I'm encouraged.

I fully understand that they can't control a global health crisis or predict what the associated landscape will look like in a few months, but this is no more a "plan" than at the beginning of the year when they released their schedule. The "plan" then was to play a normal year; now the plan has changed and logically, we can expect the plan to change again, which is why it's hard to get excited or take it seriously.

The details that are missing are related to what dictates the season happening; i.e. is everything still tied to revenue coming from a certain number of fans paying for tickets? What needs to be the reality in order for this to go through? Or are clubs willing to take a certain amount of loss for the year? What are some backup scenarios considered? It's lack of communication on these that make us lose faith in the powers that be. It's easy to say "of course they are considering everything" but really, what have they shown to earn that respectability?

Ridermania

« Reply #88 on: April 21, 2021, 11:36:46 PM »

If things are delayed again, how about just divisional games?

8 game schedule starting Labour Day week-end.

West Division: Each team plays a home & home only. 

East Division: Each team plays a modified divisional schedule, adding up to 8 games.

Play-Off Concept: 1st place gets a bye.  2 plays 3 and advances to division final against 1st place team.
bomb squad

« Reply #89 on: April 21, 2021, 11:39:26 PM »

If things are delayed again, how about just divisional games?

8 game schedule starting Labour Day week-end.

West Division: Each team plays a home & home only. 

East Division: Each team plays a modified divisional schedule, adding up to 8 games.

Play-Off Concept: 1st place gets a bye.  2 plays 3 and advances to division final against 1st place team.

Nah.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8  All
  Print  

Jump to: