Blue Bombers Forum
October 22, 2021, 05:17:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8  All
  Print  
Author Topic: On Time Season Start? (Revised with August 5, 2021 Start)  (Read 10919 times)
Pigskin

« Reply #60 on: April 12, 2021, 04:42:31 PM »

Pharmacy vaccine is opening up... in MB, priority lists for people over 55 are eligible at Sobeys (health conditions, living with people with health conditions) so the wife and I go in on Wed...  AZ first dose...

A lot of people are questioning the AZ vaccine, I am quite happy it is the one I am getting.  I love the fact it was tested in places where varieants were active, and that while the efficacy against getting COVID might be lower than the others (75% vs. 95%), hospitalizations on AZ are zero.  Which is exactly what I want to avoid. 

As Doctors keep saying all of these vaccine's are good. Just get one. As far as the variants go, time will only tell. The Pfizer I received last week, may not be the Pfizer I receive in a couple of months as they are tweaking vaccines everyday.   

Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.
theaardvark

« Reply #61 on: April 12, 2021, 05:40:14 PM »

As Doctors keep saying all of these vaccine's are good. Just get one. As far as the variants go, time will only tell. The Pfizer I received last week, may not be the Pfizer I receive in a couple of months as they are tweaking vaccines everyday.  

I agree completely... I was just trying to say that don't pass on AZ because Pfizer / Moderna have a better protection from infection %... 

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Sec227

« Reply #62 on: April 12, 2021, 07:21:50 PM »

Without the Feds Ponying up $$ I think the season is in Jeopardy. Read on 3downation the April 19th is a date to "postpone" with a guarantee of some fans. Hopefully Labor day games!

theaardvark

« Reply #63 on: April 13, 2021, 04:52:40 PM »

Without the Feds Ponying up $$ I think the season is in Jeopardy. Read on 3downation the April 19th is a date to "postpone" with a guarantee of some fans. Hopefully Labor day games!

The Feds should offer a limited amount of funding, they have for every other affected business, and no business has been affected more than the CFL...

The 75% CERB wage subsidy was a lifeline to many businesses, I am guessing head offices in teh CFL did take some of that cash, but I don't think that was extended to any players, as they are contractors... 

A little subsidy to offset what the league thought was necessary in asking the CFLPA to take a 20% haircut if no fans were in the stands would be fine...  until the gov't gets the vaccine rolled out and the fans back in the stands with gov't approval... The US is way ahead of us on that, and its not the CFL's fault. 

Most important thing I can see being needed for an on time start is getting vaccine into the arms of Nat and Global players and the coaches/staff. 

Maybe the Rock can get us some US vaccines... THAT would be an XFL contribution I can get on board with... 

After what has happened in Vancouver, I can't see any team working out even in a bubble, especially with 80 players + coaches interacting.    Many coached will be vaccinated, some players might qualify under health concerns, and Americans are all eligible for vaccines next week.  The balance of players, coaches and staff would probably be about 500 doses... I'm sure we are getting to the point where that would be easy to source out of the US, especially with AZ still not approved down there yet they are manufacturing it like crazy...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
3rdand1.5

« Reply #64 on: April 13, 2021, 06:42:41 PM »

With the media all "a-buzz" of the 3rd wave and now some media pushing a 4th wave for younger generations, many provinces going back to lockdowns or increased restrictions as the vaccine is being rolled out, coupled with panic of new strains, blood clots etc. I really do not see fans in the stands anytime soon. IMO I don't se Provincial public health authorities allowing large gatherings at all in the 2021 CFL season.

I was hopeful that Labour Day was a realistic goal but from the progression over the last 2 months, I don't think that LD is a realistic time frame.
buckzumhoff

« Reply #65 on: April 14, 2021, 11:52:34 AM »

The govt should cut back on lfunding to the next winter Olympics or give nothing at all.  They dont put any money into sports and are saving alot of money by having things shut down. But watch them spend on tv and advertising and travel to the next olympics in china. But they wont spend any money here . They'll spend millions on a 2 week event and nothing here for 2 years
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« Reply #66 on: April 15, 2021, 01:17:51 AM »

The federal government won't provide the CFL with an interest-free loan in 2021: report....

https://3downnation.com/2021/04/14/the-federal-government-wont-provide-the-cfl-with-an-interest-free-loan-in-2021-report/
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 03:43:36 AM by ModAdmin » Logged

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
TecnoGenius

« Reply #67 on: April 15, 2021, 02:52:17 AM »

Don't agree with most of that article, or "look at me, I love football, honestly" Trudeau, but this part is spot on:

Any government support would be with the caveat that football will be played for years to come. And with that would come financial transparency from the CFL regarding its future.

If the CFL really wants money above and beyond the assistance made available by the government, the league should expect to show they are going to be able to remain financially solvent for years to come.

I'm completely on board with that.  And if there is federal money possibly on the table and the above is the stumbling block, then shame on Ambrosie.  The transparency from the league is laughable.  Oh well, at least silence is better than lies, so there's that.

Never go full Rider!
buckzumhoff

« Reply #68 on: April 15, 2021, 03:03:02 AM »

That's why the XFL would be better than dealing with any help from the govt. More upside with the states than any help from this  side of the border
buckzumhoff

« Reply #69 on: April 18, 2021, 01:08:36 PM »

Still flights into Canada from south  Korea and India and other countries. But we all got to stay away from our families here in canada. Cant visit even family in the city. The CFL I think will fold. I cant see them operating. If this is the plan they are using no way can play without fans and even if there is . It was tough with small crowds I cant see them making it . This talk about starting in august or September pipe dream . Ontario and BC biggest problem created by our politicians
Pigskin

« Reply #70 on: April 19, 2021, 01:14:50 PM »

Well back to the topic, I think with all the up swing in cases in Canada and the new variants, sadly the season will not start on time.

Blue In BC

« Reply #71 on: April 19, 2021, 01:40:39 PM »

Well back to the topic, I think with all the up swing in cases in Canada and the new variants, sadly the season will not start on time.

It's looking that way as you mentioned. Vancouver beaches and outdoor venues are crowded with people not wearing masks.

Everyone is tired of Covid but this is not helping. I'd like to be able to travel or sit indoor at a restaurant but it's almost a distant memory.

If the start of the season is delayed by too much it will be a repeat of 2020. There will be no season IMO if we aren't playing by late June.

I shortened season is a no go IMO. Players won't accept further reduction in salaries by a 9 game schedule for example.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
Pigskin

« Reply #72 on: April 19, 2021, 04:07:20 PM »

I see the season starting on Labor Day. By then all Canadians should have at less one vaccination and many of us will be fully vaccinated. Some play may choose not to play , but most of them will and for a prorated amount.

Blue In BC

« Reply #73 on: April 19, 2021, 04:18:38 PM »

I see the season starting on Labor Day. By then all Canadians should have at less one vaccination and many of us will be fully vaccinated. Some play may choose not to play , but most of them will and for a prorated amount.

I don't believe that is practical or desirable at any level. That represents about an 8 - 9 game season. Can't really extend it into December - January due to weather restrictions.

That's not the CFL as we know it. I for one would have no interest in that. Having only divisional games or playing each other team once takes away all the important rivalry stuff.

Many players already took 20% or more salary cuts. Shorten the season by another 50% spells trouble.

I'd think in order to " accept " some players opting out, the ratio would need to be eliminated. Seeing one Canadian starter on any team is always difficult at the best of times. It impacts the quality of play.

IIRC there is at least 1 unnamed CFL team that doesn't want to play without fans or a shortened season.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 04:48:58 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

2019 Grey Cup Champions
BLUEBOMBER

« Reply #74 on: April 19, 2021, 07:25:15 PM »

There was never any doubt that the season wouldn't start on time.  My guess is we will be lucky if we can start on Canada Day.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8  All
  Print  

Jump to: