Blue Bombers Forum
October 22, 2021, 05:29:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8  All
  Print  
Author Topic: On Time Season Start? (Revised with August 5, 2021 Start)  (Read 10929 times)
theaardvark

« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2021, 08:53:26 PM »

A lot of ridiculous assumptions there.

Ridiculous why?  Every American has been promised vaccine by the end of may, many states are already allowing anyone to get it.

As to quarantine w/testing, why would it be different for CFL players over NHL? 

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Pigskin

« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2021, 02:47:59 AM »

5000k new cases of Covid in Canada today. Haven't had numbers like that since January.

Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2021, 01:15:34 PM »

Ridiculous why?  Every American has been promised vaccine by the end of may, many states are already allowing anyone to get it.

As to quarantine w/testing, why would it be different for CFL players over NHL? 

It's not an apples to apples comparison. NHL players are tested daily. Are CFL players currently residing in the US getting tested daily? Seems highly unlikely as there's no reason at this point for them to be tested. Also, a handful of NHL players potentially entering Canada in the event of a trade is miniscule compared to the number of INT players who'd be coming in to join their CFL teams.

There's been no timeline set for anything CFL-related, be it rookie camps, training camps, or even a season start date. All of that uncertainty throws a pretty big wrench into things from a logistics standpoint. Where would CFL players do their 7-day quarantine? Who would oversee and pay for the costs associated to daily testing during quarantine? The CFL continues to hemorrhage money and putting the cost on players would be terrible optics when it's already requested them taking a 20% paycut for a possible 2021 season.

Vaccination rates across the US are a positive sign but that doesn't mean much right now when it comes to a 2021 CFL season. There are several other moving parts involved.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
Still can't fix stupid. Can't quarantine it, either.
Blue In BC

« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2021, 02:51:37 PM »

Reports are that about 30% of the US and Canadian population won't ever take the vaccinations. That number seems to be in flux day to day. Not sure what the max will be but it will never be 100%.

How that translates into players coming across the border will be a question: vaccination / quarantine differences.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
Pigskin

« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2021, 04:31:23 PM »

I see the Government is getting some push back over the new 7 day quarantine for NHL players. Had to know that was going to happen. What people have to understand is the NHL teams are paying for everything. There is no money coming from the any level of government. I don't think CFL teams have the money to do this. Now maybe the Bombers could create a bubble at the UofM. Quarantine, testing, and practicing, until Canada gets there act together with the vaccine. 

The CFL could take some notes from the NHL, and the Canadian Curling Association.

Blue In BC

« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2021, 04:50:24 PM »

The number of both TC and final rosters is significantly higher than NHL rosters. That would add $$$ to costs regardless of who might foot the bill.

Current Bomber roster is about 80 players. We haven't seen any potential information about rookie camp dates. If TC is going to start on time ( TBD ) then rosters have to be trimmed and policies put in place.

Lots of if's on the horizon. A few teams have started the process of releasing some players.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 04:56:05 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

2019 Grey Cup Champions
TecnoGenius

« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2021, 09:23:17 AM »

Things should be different [by August], with many people vaccinated. Are enough vaccinated is the question.

But as others already said in other threads: "muh variants".  Nothing will change by August.  Even if 70% are "vaccinated", new variants that bypass the "vaccines" will magically appear.  CFL either plays on time, or it'll be 2020 again.

Never go full Rider!
Blue In BC

« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2021, 05:50:21 PM »

There has been nothing yet to suggest that vaccines won't be ineffective against new variants. That may yet develop but it's not a fact at the moment.

In the US they should reach 50M people fully vaccinated by the end of the day. Another 40M hav received their 1st shot and average daily vaccinations is averaging about 2.5m - 3M.

That said infections and deaths are on the rise. Consequences of spring break may create a bleak picture in another couple of weeks. Time will tell.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2021, 07:44:18 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

2019 Grey Cup Champions
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2021, 08:06:38 PM »

Winnipeg's plan to host fans for 2021 CFL season is 95 per cent complete

Winnipeg Blue Bombers' President and CEO Wade Miller has some good news for football fans in the province of Manitoba.

Though it remains unclear exactly how many fans will be permitted to attend games, the Blue Bombers are putting the finishing touches on a plan to host fans in 2021.

"Hopefully we can scale it up as the season goes on," Miller told Jeff Hamilton The Winnipeg Free Press. "It's about doing what's right and working with public health, both provincially and federally."

Miller said that every CFL team is working on a plan to host fans, all of which will be unique.

Winnipeg's plan is 95 per cent complete and has the advantage of utilizing a state-of-the-art facility that can seat almost 33,000 people. Season ticket holders will be contacted regarding ticket sales and game day logistics in the next six to eight weeks.

Some elements of the new plan will include limited concessions, mandatory masks except when eating or drinking, and the addition of 250 hand sanitization units at IG Field. The entire stadium will also be cashless, which helps limit contact between fans and game day employees.

It has been previously reported that CFL teams do not expect to operate at 100 per cent capacity at any point in 2021. Some NHL teams are currently petitioning to have fans in attendance at games, which would set a new precedent ahead of the CFL season.

Ticket sales are a key factor in the economic viability of the Canadian Football League. In 2019, gate receipts accounted for 35 per cent of the gross revenue in Edmonton, Saskatchewan, and Winnipeg.

"It comes down to developing a comprehensive plan to restart our stadium, for the safety of our fans, staff and players, which is paramount all the time and it's consistent with what we do at the Winnipeg Football Club," said Miller.

https://3downnation.com/2021/03/27/winnipegs-plan-to-host-fans-for-2021-cfl-season-is-95-per-cent-complete/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=winnipegs-plan-to-host-fans-for-2021-cfl-season-is-95-per-cent-complete

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
blue_or_die

« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2021, 05:46:20 PM »

But as others already said in other threads: "muh variants".  Nothing will change by August.  Even if 70% are "vaccinated", new variants that bypass the "vaccines" will magically appear.  CFL either plays on time, or it'll be 2020 again.

Maybe? I don't think we know yet about the efficacy of the vaccine against variants. I'm hoping it's at least reasonably effective, which is what we need for a herd immunity level that will allow for the critical number of fans to return to make the business case of the CFL work.

You're being cynical about vaccines, which is literally the only way things get back to normal, while also arguing that we "just do it" (play and I'm guessing you mean allow fans to attend just like normal?). I can tell you that the latter will not happen, and the former must.

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
DarkDays

« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2021, 02:58:55 PM »

Much depends on the vaccines.

Biden's Admin has sucked all the loose doses off the table for the next three months.

Kick off before Labour Day presumes empty parks.  10% capacity at most.

"I think we're done here." 
                                   - Ross Tucker
DarkDays

« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2021, 03:05:14 PM »

There has been nothing yet to suggest that vaccines won't be ineffective against new variants. That may yet develop but it's not a fact at the moment.

In the US they should reach 50M people fully vaccinated by the end of the day. Another 40M hav received their 1st shot and average daily vaccinations is averaging about 2.5m - 3M.

That said infections and deaths are on the rise. Consequences of spring break may create a bleak picture in another couple of weeks. Time will tell.

In the States, a senior member of the Centre for Disease Control and Mr. Biden both begged people to put their masks back on and keep it tight, until more doses can get into the population.

The variants are heartier, and cause more critical cases.  The current vaccines, from initial studies, seem to prevent infections from moving to the critical phase.

Meanwhile, the governors of certain states have opened everything up and rolled back mask orders.  Nightmare fuel. 

- Ross Tucker
Blue In BC

« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2021, 03:30:12 PM »

Good news / bad news:

Got 1st Phizer vaccine today. It was unscheduled but my wife had an appointment for this morning and they did mine a week early. Painless and very well organized. About 30 stations. All done in less than 1/2 hour.

BC lockdown of most everything until April 19th. No inside dining etc. Whistler closed.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
Pigskin

« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2021, 03:57:00 PM »

Unfortunately a few of our provinces have taken a step back.

DarkDays

« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2021, 04:01:05 PM »

Judging by the variant #'s...we're all gonna have to pull in our horns again, until the vaccine supply catches up.

That's a shame.  I really wanted to go to the Stone Angel tasting room next weekend...

- Ross Tucker
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8  All
  Print  

Jump to: