Blue Bombers Forum
December 07, 2021, 11:55:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: CFL on vaccinations will be interesting  (Read 916 times)
Tiger

« on: May 10, 2021, 01:42:38 AM »

Yes still here lurking. 

Here is what NFL is doing

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31405722/buffalo-bills-gm-brandon-beane-gets-nfl-call-hypothetical-cutting-unvaccinated-player-source-says

Football is easy if you're crazy as hell
 Bo Jackson

We are inclined to think that if we watch a football game or a baseball game, we have taken part in it
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

BC Sucks
Tiger
DM83

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2021, 12:12:09 AM »

Manitoba is so rinky dink.
Come on Pallister buy some of that sauce and vaccinate everyone. We only have a million or so people.  Why is there a hold up?
...winners make it happen, losers make excuses.
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2021, 03:52:58 AM »

First & 10 | Jefferson gets vaccinated - Ed Tait

The signs are seemingly so positive everywhere around us, even if Manitoba is in a tough spot in fighting the third wave of this **** global pandemic.

So - as tough as it can be to swallow right now - it remains all about vigilance, about caring for yourself and those around you, and about doing everything you can to fight through this.

And, of course, it's about getting vaccinated ASAP.

That's why earlier this week on one of those down days we've all had so often during the last year or so, yours truly was uplifted by a simple tweet of Willie Jefferson flashing his COVID-19 vaccination papers. See, even a gesture like that of an athlete with a profile in this town can only help.

"I wanted to let the fans know this is something that is so important if we?re going to move forward and have a season," began Jefferson this week in a chat with bluebombers.com from his offseason base in Texas. "With me being who I am and some of my teammates and people like Wade (Miller) going public with getting the vaccine, we need to show as many as possible that getting vaccinated is that important.

"Maybe it can help raise the awareness of some people who are second-guessing about the vaccine or are wondering why they need to get it."

Jefferson got his first dose earlier this week, along with his wife Holly.

"We were on the fence for a while," he admitted. "Then, through doing some research and then thinking forward about being able to travel to see family we decided we needed to get it.

"I hope everyone understands that if we're going to open up stadiums for the fans they should want to be vaccinated. It's that simple."

A reminder that is going to sting: the Bombers were to play their first preseason game against the Saskatchewan Roughriders this past Friday, followed by a visit to Regina in a week. And the 2021 season was initially scheduled to open June 10th at IG Field with a rematch of the 2019 Grey Cup against the Hamilton Tiger-Cats.

The CFL is now pushing for an August 5th start up to what would be an abridged 14-game season. Again, that might seem ambitious given the rough patch Manitoba is in right now, but the numbers are improving in the five other provinces in which CFL teams reside.

"Get your vaccinations as soon as you can," said Jefferson. "We all want to get back to playing. We all want fans in the stands. Let's do this so we can be together again."

Well said, sir.

More from our conversation with Willie and other notes, quotes and links in this week's edition of First & 10...

1. CFL players have been down this road before (see: summer, 2020) when there was growing optimism about a season still unfolding, even if it meant playing in a bubble.

I asked Willie if he was optimistic now given the trends we're seeing, or if he was reluctant because of what happened a year ago.

"I'm hyped, man," he said. "You never know what's going to happen, but all you can do is hope for the best. That's how it was last year before the season was cancelled. That was hard then, but players were pumped because we thought there was going to be a season. This year it's started all over again with some of the things that are usually good signs: the Global Draft went well, the regular CFL Draft went well. Teams are gearing up like we're going to play this year. Things are going in the right direction.

"All we can do now is to wait until the beginning of July and travel so that we can get to do what we've wanted to do these last two years. I'm excited. I'm pumped up. My family is pumped up. The guys I talk to, my teammates and guys from other teams I know, are training like it's any other year. They're putting their work in, trying to stay safe and get ready."

More on Willie Jefferson and the 2021 season here!

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: