Blue Bombers Forum
June 12, 2021, 08:13:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 8 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: On Time Season Start? (Revised with August 5, 2021 Start)  (Read 6957 times)
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« on: March 24, 2021, 03:11:52 AM »

Dave Naylor is reporting tonight the CFL is proposing an on time start to the season subject to some conditions yet to be divulged.

The league must be getting some signals that this is going to be a strong possibility.  More news to follow I presume.

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2021, 03:19:10 AM »

David William Naylor
@TSNDaveNaylor

26m
For months we have speculated the @CFL
 season unlikely to start on time based on the presumption that teams would not begin a season without fans in stands. The @CFL
 proposal Tuesday would be a way around that. Regular season due to start June 10th.#CFL #CFLPA

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2021, 03:20:09 AM »

David William Naylor
@TSNDaveNaylor

53m
The @CFL has delivered a proposal to the @CFLPA targeting an on-time start to the 2021 season by asking players for a 20 per cent pay cut that would apply if no fans in stands. Salaries would then be topped-up over the course of the season as fans return to stands. #CFL

ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2021, 03:29:42 AM »

CFL delivers on-time season start proposal to players' association with 20 per cent pay cut caveat

March 23, 2021

The Canadian Football League wants to kick-off the 2021 season as scheduled, if all goes according to plan.

TSN reporter Dave Naylor has the latest details.

The CFL has delivered a proposal to the CFLPA targeting an on-time start to the 2021 season by asking players for a 20 per cent pay cut that would apply if no fans in stands. Salaries would then be topped-up over the course of the season as fans return to stands, Naylor tweeted.

Even though CFL teams know stadiums will not be fully open at any point for the 2021 season, players could earn full wages for periods of the season. All this subject to CFL?s return-to-play protocol being approved, he added.

For months we have speculated the CFL season unlikely to start on time based on the presumption that teams would not begin a season without fans in stands. The CFL proposal Tuesday would be a way around that. Regular season due to start June 10th, Naylor concluded.

The CFL unveiled its 2021 schedule last November with the pre-season scheduled to begin on Sunday, May 23, while the regular season is slated to get underway on Thursday, June 10, and the Grey Cup in Hamilton on Sunday, November 21.

The league and union began meetings during the second week of February with a focus on playing football this year. The two sides have submitted return to play health and safety plans to various levels of government in Canada.

Commissioner Randy Ambrosie has promised plenty of football during the current year.

https://3downnation.com/2021/03/23/cfl-delivers-on-time-season-start-proposal-to-players-association-with-20-per-cent-pay-cut-caveat/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=cfl-delivers-on-time-season-start-proposal-to-players-association-with-20-per-cent-pay-cut-caveat

bluengold204

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2021, 04:00:51 AM »

Bold move, don?t really see the players going for this though not sure what they get out of it.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2021, 05:43:41 AM »

Tough ask for the players.  They must know that there is a chance that fans never return to stands in 2021.  What happens then?  They get (20%) shafted the whole season?

And keep in mind this would be 20% less on top of their already vastly reduced new salaries!  Ouch.  How many times can you poke them before they cry foul?

I hope the players go for it, as I'd do anything to get CFL going again... but I wouldn't bet money they will.

Also, did Ambrosie mention office staff / coaching staff / execs / himself also taking a 20% pay cut until fans return?  Pretty hypocritical and weak if he's just asking the players to sacrifice.  The non-players should all take a 25% additional temporary pay cut just to show solidarity.

All that said, I love love love the idea of running the season as scheduled.  If they don't, they might never start back up, as there'll always be some excuse.  I hope this latest idea is in good faith, because if it's a no-dice head fake knowing the players will never agree, it could just be a weak excuse to shift the blame for not starting to the players.  That would be very lame.

Never go full Rider!
TBURGESS

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2021, 11:43:45 AM »

The bold 'It's not our fault, it's the players fault for not taking 20% more in salary cut' strategy. Good job CFL brass. Everyone will believe you. Grin

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.
3rdand1.5

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2021, 11:59:09 AM »

It appears the Fed's are not interested in providing money to the CFL.

The CFL does not have any major sponsor or group of rich owners willing to float it. As a whole the league is at best on "rocky" financial terms.

If the Gov't ruling in the provinces with teams will not allow fans in stands then it really doesn't leave much other choice does it? The CFL as a whole does have a number of incredibly diverse and successful business minds involved and not one has come up with a solution for an influx of funds as required.

No one likes to get hit in the wallet but what realistically are the options?
-Accept the deal and possibly play and make 80% of your salary
-Decline the deal and due to the lack of finances have the season cancelled and make 0% of your salary, or take the gamble that the Provincial Gov'ts will allow fans at some point. (The risk is if the Provinces have fans early you make potentially close to your full salary, or the Provinces delay having fans till late summer or not at all and then risk a prorated salary of less than 80%)

It sucks for players and they all will not be happy, but the harsh reality is that the CFL doesn't have any money to pay them, without fans the income isn't there to be able to pay the players.

I would look very differently on this if the owners etc. were raking in profits on the backs of players, but no one is making any money!

Blue In BC

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2021, 01:39:29 PM »

I don't see this idea working after most players took 20% or more cuts already. This could result in many players opting out for some or all of 2021.

It's getting ugly and I feel for the players as well as he fans of the CFL.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 02:29:26 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
TBURGESS

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2021, 01:45:51 PM »

The reality is that most players have already taken a 20%+ decrease in salary this year. The CFL's ask is another 20% pay cut for the weeks where there aren't (m)any fans in the stands and no one knows how many weeks that would be. To make that even a little bit palatable, the CFL Management and staff would also have to take an additional 20% pay cut too so that the pain is the same for everyone. I have no idea if that's part of the deal or not.

I'll never understand the thinking that rich owners should be ready to bleed red ink to provide entertainment to the masses. They didn't get rich by taking losses and they don't stay rich by taking losses. Rich owners will do what ever they can to reduce their losses and that's what people should expect them to do.

the paw

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2021, 02:10:29 PM »

The bold 'It's not our fault, it's the players fault for not taking 20% more in salary cut' strategy. Good job CFL brass. Everyone will believe you. Grin

Exactly.  This is dropping the hot potato in the lap of the CFLPA, looking for a scapegoat. 

I note that Hodge's Insider Talk has a quote pertaining to the growth of executive compensation over the last 20 years, which is a point I made in another thread.  What other industry, where maybe 30% of entities are mildly profitable, 40% barely break even, and 30% are perpetually mired in red ink, rewards its leadership with exponential increased in compensation? 

Seriously, what's the end game?  "Hmm.  We've managed to grind player compensation down from half of league revenues to 25%.  If we can only get them down to 15%, the gravy train keeps rolling..."

grab grass 'n growl
Pigskin

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2021, 02:28:43 PM »

I can't see players taken another pay cut.

With numbers going up and the new variants, I can't see fans in the stands till 75-80% of our population has the vaccine.

Blue In BC

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2021, 03:53:21 PM »

Even if fans are allowed to attend there will be less fans in the stands initially for many possible reasons.

Fans have taken a financial hit and may shelve their discretionary spending for a few months. Many will not have received their Covid vaccinations yet.

That could result in smaller attendance game to game or city to city at the beginning of the season.

So where would the league and players draw a line on what " fans in the stands " means?

It's a slippery slope.

EDIT: It was bad enough needing to have higher paid players take big cuts. This new concept would include players on ELC's taking 20% cuts.

Very unfortunate situation.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 06:51:20 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
3rdand1.5

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2021, 05:06:56 PM »

The team owners (some are owned by community) do not have the funds available to support play without gate (reality is even with full gate 20-30% lose money)

Without a season I would also assume coaches, trainers, management, therapists, ticket sellers, food workers etc. would also get zero

As mentioned above with "new strains" and how behind we are on vaccinations already coupled with many/most Provincial Health Authorities erring on the side of caution the likely-hood of fans in the stands any time soon is very slim

There is no "gravy train" for anyone right now. Pre-Covid yes some management was highly paid (probably over-paid)  and some players, hello Reilly were being paid an unsustainable amount. Non of that matters today. All that matters today is the league saw minimal to no income last year, the players, coaches etc. saw minimal to no income as a result

The CFL was not in great financial condition in 2019 some teams were in downright a bleeding red state, now we are in 2021 and it's worse not better

I don't think the players will take the deal, and they have every right not to

If that happens then what, almost all teams can't even afford 80% salary without fans, heck close to half the teams couldn't afford 80% even with their full gate.

So if it get's turned down people can point fingers all they want, blame managers, blame the CFL execs. blame the players, blame Gainer. Another lost season would be detrimental

To make a living as a football player you have to play in the CFL or the NFL. Those who can, play in the NFL as most times one year can equal multiple years or even an entire career in the CFL. Those who can't play in the NFL and want to continue in football to try and make a living playing in the CFL, after that what's the alternative, not really anything financially viable. It down-right sucks for the players but the harsh reality is what are the other options within the realms of playing football?
blue_or_die

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2021, 05:23:52 PM »

Pretty embarrassing to put this on the players. They've done enough and are only part of where revenues are spent. League is going to have to be more creative and/or prepare to take some losses this year, simple as that.

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
3rdand1.5

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2021, 06:04:39 PM »

Pretty embarrassing to put this on the players. They've done enough and are only part of where revenues are spent. League is going to have to be more creative and/or prepare to take some losses this year, simple as that.

Where, they have lost everywhere. What creative solution that all the great minds within the CFL executives have not tried, there is no money.
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2021, 08:20:05 PM »

And yet another take on the 2021 CFL season by Michael Ball (a Saskatchewan Roughrider fan/media person).....

michael ball
@ballsy72

31m
My very good sources are telling me that the CFL season realistically won't start till August with training camp opening and the season begins Labour Day wknd. #CFL

buckzumhoff

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2021, 08:47:42 PM »

20 per cent cut.  Pay less taxes.  The government should pick up the 20 per cent . Teams cant pay full salaries with no fans.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2021, 03:12:03 AM »

@ballsy72
My very good sources are telling me that the CFL season realistically won't start till August with training camp opening and the season begins Labour Day wknd. #CFL

That's right, keep kicking the can.  If this is what they are really going to do, then I will bet money right now that we won't see any CFL in 2021, and I'd also start betting we won't see CFL ever again.  Nothing will be different in August.  And then the fall/winter season starts the "cases" up again.  It's bass ackwards.  Play in the warm summer!!

And Ballsy isn't just "another fan", he's got some inside skinnies.

So if it get's turned down people can point fingers all they want, blame managers, blame the CFL execs. blame the players, blame Gainer. Another lost season would be detrimental

Oh, I definitely blame Gainer.  Especially creepy-eyed Gainer.

Never go full Rider!
Tee42

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2021, 12:15:17 PM »

There is no confirmed start date other than speculation.  No doubt there will be delays. Its like 2020 dejavu. They should just bite the bullet, put out a date and play, fans or no fans. People are tired of the waiting game. Players are fed up, if this continues the way it is, the players won't play and will continue working their off season jobs. Make a decision take the loss, or lose the league altogether.
Blue In BC

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2021, 12:50:58 PM »

And yet another take on the 2021 CFL season by Michael Ball (a Saskatchewan Roughrider fan/media person).....

michael ball
@ballsy72

31m

That late a start would be the end IMO. You can't compress 18 games into what's left before weather is a massive issue. The CFL won't be playing in December - January to extend the 18 game schedule. That's NFL time.

A late start and a partial season could mean further losses to players salaries.

I don't like where this is headed.

No more excuses.
TBURGESS

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2021, 02:05:32 PM »

The CFL brass keeps saying they're going to start on time, but the pandemic will tell the CFL when they can and can't start the season with fans in the stands. If they start late, the number of games played will go down. Playing on prairies in December and January is nuts.

Asking for the people who have already taken pay cuts to take even more in order to start the season on time shows that the top brass can't read the room. The players and coaches have already taken their share of the pain as have the people who work, or in this case don't work, at the stadiums. Additional cost cutting has to come from somewhere other than employees salaries.

Tee42

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2021, 03:04:36 PM »

I agree. In 2020 they said we will do all we can do get on the field, and then... canceled. These delays  seem to b :(e heading in the same direction. That's why I said, take the loss or lose it all. Sad
blue_or_die

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2021, 05:41:03 PM »

That's right, keep kicking the can.  If this is what they are really going to do, then I will bet money right now that we won't see any CFL in 2021, and I'd also start betting we won't see CFL ever again.  Nothing will be different in August.  And then the fall/winter season starts the "cases" up again.  It's bass ackwards.  Play in the warm summer!!

Things should be different, with many people vaccinated. Are enough vaccinated is the question.

TBURGESS

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2021, 06:37:10 PM »

Things should be different, with many people vaccinated. Are enough vaccinated is the question.
It also depends on which vaccine and how many shots they've had.

AstraZenica says they are 76% effective after saying 79% on Monday (The Data and Safety Monitoring Board says it's really between 69-74%). Moderna says 94%. Note that both efficacy's are based on 2 shots 4 weeks apart, which isn't what our governments are doing. 

Pigskin

« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2021, 06:52:21 PM »

Manitoba was at 9.2% yesterday. I get my first shot on April 6th. I am hoping for Moderna, but as we all know you don't get a choice.
barrywpg

« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2021, 08:01:37 PM »

Manitoba was at 9.2% yesterday. I get my first shot on April 6th. I am hoping for Moderna, but as we all know you don't get a choice.

Where are you getting yours - mine is apr 5 at con center - confirmation email said Pfizer
blue_or_die

« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2021, 08:05:04 PM »

It also depends on which vaccine and how many shots they've had.

AstraZenica says they are 76% effective after saying 79% on Monday (The Data and Safety Monitoring Board says it's really between 69-74%). Moderna says 94%. Note that both efficacy's are based on 2 shots 4 weeks apart, which isn't what our governments are doing. 

What I'm getting at is, do we have a total level of vaccination such that we have herd immunity or any other sufficiently reasonable level done on the population. So yes I suppose that factors in "how immune" the population actually is based on efficacy and variant persistence, etc.

theaardvark

« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2021, 08:35:04 PM »

OK, they've just OK'd a 7 day quarantine with testing for NHL players traded... so that should be an easy extension to CFL players coming in... most of them should be vaccinated anyways by then, the US has far too much vaccine and won't share...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2021, 08:39:20 PM »

OK, they've just OK'd a 7 day quarantine with testing for NHL players traded... so that should be an easy extension to CFL players coming in... most of them should be vaccinated anyways by then, the US has far too much vaccine and won't share...

A lot of ridiculous assumptions there.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
Still can't fix stupid. Can't quarantine it, either.
theaardvark

« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2021, 08:53:26 PM »

A lot of ridiculous assumptions there.

Ridiculous why?  Every American has been promised vaccine by the end of may, many states are already allowing anyone to get it.

As to quarantine w/testing, why would it be different for CFL players over NHL? 

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Pigskin

« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2021, 02:47:59 AM »

5000k new cases of Covid in Canada today. Haven't had numbers like that since January.
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2021, 01:15:34 PM »

Ridiculous why?  Every American has been promised vaccine by the end of may, many states are already allowing anyone to get it.

As to quarantine w/testing, why would it be different for CFL players over NHL? 

It's not an apples to apples comparison. NHL players are tested daily. Are CFL players currently residing in the US getting tested daily? Seems highly unlikely as there's no reason at this point for them to be tested. Also, a handful of NHL players potentially entering Canada in the event of a trade is miniscule compared to the number of INT players who'd be coming in to join their CFL teams.

There's been no timeline set for anything CFL-related, be it rookie camps, training camps, or even a season start date. All of that uncertainty throws a pretty big wrench into things from a logistics standpoint. Where would CFL players do their 7-day quarantine? Who would oversee and pay for the costs associated to daily testing during quarantine? The CFL continues to hemorrhage money and putting the cost on players would be terrible optics when it's already requested them taking a 20% paycut for a possible 2021 season.

Vaccination rates across the US are a positive sign but that doesn't mean much right now when it comes to a 2021 CFL season. There are several other moving parts involved.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
Blue In BC

« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2021, 02:51:37 PM »

Reports are that about 30% of the US and Canadian population won't ever take the vaccinations. That number seems to be in flux day to day. Not sure what the max will be but it will never be 100%.

How that translates into players coming across the border will be a question: vaccination / quarantine differences.

No more excuses.
Pigskin

« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2021, 04:31:23 PM »

I see the Government is getting some push back over the new 7 day quarantine for NHL players. Had to know that was going to happen. What people have to understand is the NHL teams are paying for everything. There is no money coming from the any level of government. I don't think CFL teams have the money to do this. Now maybe the Bombers could create a bubble at the UofM. Quarantine, testing, and practicing, until Canada gets there act together with the vaccine. 

The CFL could take some notes from the NHL, and the Canadian Curling Association.
Blue In BC

« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2021, 04:50:24 PM »

The number of both TC and final rosters is significantly higher than NHL rosters. That would add $$$ to costs regardless of who might foot the bill.

Current Bomber roster is about 80 players. We haven't seen any potential information about rookie camp dates. If TC is going to start on time ( TBD ) then rosters have to be trimmed and policies put in place.

Lots of if's on the horizon. A few teams have started the process of releasing some players.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 04:56:05 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2021, 09:23:17 AM »

Things should be different [by August], with many people vaccinated. Are enough vaccinated is the question.

But as others already said in other threads: "muh variants".  Nothing will change by August.  Even if 70% are "vaccinated", new variants that bypass the "vaccines" will magically appear.  CFL either plays on time, or it'll be 2020 again.

Never go full Rider!
Blue In BC

« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2021, 05:50:21 PM »

There has been nothing yet to suggest that vaccines won't be ineffective against new variants. That may yet develop but it's not a fact at the moment.

In the US they should reach 50M people fully vaccinated by the end of the day. Another 40M hav received their 1st shot and average daily vaccinations is averaging about 2.5m - 3M.

That said infections and deaths are on the rise. Consequences of spring break may create a bleak picture in another couple of weeks. Time will tell.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2021, 07:44:18 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2021, 08:06:38 PM »

Winnipeg's plan to host fans for 2021 CFL season is 95 per cent complete

Winnipeg Blue Bombers' President and CEO Wade Miller has some good news for football fans in the province of Manitoba.

Though it remains unclear exactly how many fans will be permitted to attend games, the Blue Bombers are putting the finishing touches on a plan to host fans in 2021.

"Hopefully we can scale it up as the season goes on," Miller told Jeff Hamilton The Winnipeg Free Press. "It's about doing what's right and working with public health, both provincially and federally."

Miller said that every CFL team is working on a plan to host fans, all of which will be unique.

Winnipeg's plan is 95 per cent complete and has the advantage of utilizing a state-of-the-art facility that can seat almost 33,000 people. Season ticket holders will be contacted regarding ticket sales and game day logistics in the next six to eight weeks.

Some elements of the new plan will include limited concessions, mandatory masks except when eating or drinking, and the addition of 250 hand sanitization units at IG Field. The entire stadium will also be cashless, which helps limit contact between fans and game day employees.

It has been previously reported that CFL teams do not expect to operate at 100 per cent capacity at any point in 2021. Some NHL teams are currently petitioning to have fans in attendance at games, which would set a new precedent ahead of the CFL season.

Ticket sales are a key factor in the economic viability of the Canadian Football League. In 2019, gate receipts accounted for 35 per cent of the gross revenue in Edmonton, Saskatchewan, and Winnipeg.

"It comes down to developing a comprehensive plan to restart our stadium, for the safety of our fans, staff and players, which is paramount all the time and it's consistent with what we do at the Winnipeg Football Club," said Miller.

https://3downnation.com/2021/03/27/winnipegs-plan-to-host-fans-for-2021-cfl-season-is-95-per-cent-complete/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=winnipegs-plan-to-host-fans-for-2021-cfl-season-is-95-per-cent-complete

blue_or_die

« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2021, 05:46:20 PM »

But as others already said in other threads: "muh variants".  Nothing will change by August.  Even if 70% are "vaccinated", new variants that bypass the "vaccines" will magically appear.  CFL either plays on time, or it'll be 2020 again.

Maybe? I don't think we know yet about the efficacy of the vaccine against variants. I'm hoping it's at least reasonably effective, which is what we need for a herd immunity level that will allow for the critical number of fans to return to make the business case of the CFL work.

You're being cynical about vaccines, which is literally the only way things get back to normal, while also arguing that we "just do it" (play and I'm guessing you mean allow fans to attend just like normal?). I can tell you that the latter will not happen, and the former must.

DarkDays

« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2021, 02:58:55 PM »

Much depends on the vaccines.

Biden's Admin has sucked all the loose doses off the table for the next three months.

Kick off before Labour Day presumes empty parks.  10% capacity at most.

"I think we're done here." 
                                   - Ross Tucker
DarkDays

« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2021, 03:05:14 PM »

There has been nothing yet to suggest that vaccines won't be ineffective against new variants. That may yet develop but it's not a fact at the moment.

In the US they should reach 50M people fully vaccinated by the end of the day. Another 40M hav received their 1st shot and average daily vaccinations is averaging about 2.5m - 3M.

That said infections and deaths are on the rise. Consequences of spring break may create a bleak picture in another couple of weeks. Time will tell.

In the States, a senior member of the Centre for Disease Control and Mr. Biden both begged people to put their masks back on and keep it tight, until more doses can get into the population.

The variants are heartier, and cause more critical cases.  The current vaccines, from initial studies, seem to prevent infections from moving to the critical phase.

Meanwhile, the governors of certain states have opened everything up and rolled back mask orders.  Nightmare fuel. 

- Ross Tucker
Blue In BC

« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2021, 03:30:12 PM »

Good news / bad news:

Got 1st Phizer vaccine today. It was unscheduled but my wife had an appointment for this morning and they did mine a week early. Painless and very well organized. About 30 stations. All done in less than 1/2 hour.

BC lockdown of most everything until April 19th. No inside dining etc. Whistler closed.

No more excuses.
Pigskin

« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2021, 03:57:00 PM »

Unfortunately a few of our provinces have taken a step back.
DarkDays

« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2021, 04:01:05 PM »

Judging by the variant #'s...we're all gonna have to pull in our horns again, until the vaccine supply catches up.

That's a shame.  I really wanted to go to the Stone Angel tasting room next weekend...

- Ross Tucker
BlueInCgy

« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2021, 04:53:38 PM »

Good news / bad news:

Got 1st Phizer vaccine today. It was unscheduled but my wife had an appointment for this morning and they did mine a week early. Painless and very well organized. About 30 stations. All done in less than 1/2 hour.

BC lockdown of most everything until April 19th. No inside dining etc. Whistler closed.

On a project assignment in Vancouver.  Flying my wife out for a "holiday" Thursday.  Apparently "holiday" has now been redefined by BC Health as "Stay in the condo and order Skip the Dishes". 

I'm tired of this already.
Blue In BC

« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2021, 05:36:09 PM »

On a project assignment in Vancouver.  Flying my wife out for a "holiday" Thursday.  Apparently "holiday" has now been redefined by BC Health as "Stay in the condo and order Skip the Dishes". 

I'm tired of this already.

Patio dining is still allowed . If weather warms up a bit that may be an option. Gas heaters exist in many of those situations.  Not sure which of those places will continue to operate on that basis. You'll have to check in your specific area to see what your options will be.

We're all tired of this. I feel sad for the workers that are going to be impacted.

No more excuses.
Pigskin

« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2021, 06:53:53 PM »

Sounds like Ontario is shutting down for 4 weeks.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2021, 07:24:40 AM »

Some elements of the new plan will include limited concessions, mandatory masks except when eating or drinking, and the addition of 250 hand sanitization units at IG Field. The entire stadium will also be cashless, which helps limit contact between fans and game day employees.

Ticket sales are a key factor in the economic viability of the Canadian Football League. In 2019, gate receipts accounted for 35 per cent of the gross revenue in Edmonton, Saskatchewan, and Winnipeg.

I'm extremely glad to see major progress on playing ball, and playing with fans in the stands.  Great job WM!  If there's all this work being done behind the scenes that give reason for optimism, Ambrosie & the teams need to get the word out every couple of weeks!!

If they make this happen, me & the son are getting STs for the first time the day they guarantee it's on.  Hell, I might buy a 3rd ST and take a different friend gratis each game, unless they make "same household only" rules.  I'm definitely spending more quality time with friends at places like CFL games once the lockdowners ease up.

Their ideas and rules sound reasonable.  Don't like the mask idea outdoors, but what are you going to do, eh.  People will just do the same as they do on planes: eat and drink the entire time.  Voila, no mask.

Never go full Rider!
the paw

« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2021, 02:45:56 PM »

Their ideas and rules sound reasonable.  Don't like the mask idea outdoors, but what are you going to do, eh.  People will just do the same as they do on planes: eat and drink the entire time.  Voila, no mask.

And there, in a nutshell, is why a whole bunch of people will be staying home.

grab grass 'n growl
Pigskin

« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2021, 03:21:54 PM »

And there, in a nutshell, is why a whole bunch of people will be staying home.

You have to take it where it's coming from. If, there's fans in the stands early in the season, there will be staff/ and enforcement officers to make sure people are following rules. Plus fans aren't going to let one jackass ruin it for everyone else.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 03:25:34 PM by Pigskin » Logged
TecnoGenius

« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2021, 08:29:34 AM »

You have to take it where it's coming from. If, there's fans in the stands early in the season, there will be staff/ and enforcement officers to make sure people are following rules. Plus fans aren't going to let one jackass ruin it for everyone else.

Fans and officers are going to dictate to me how fast I eat my popcorn?  What are they going to say?  "Eat your popcorn faster you heathen!"  "No you can't take another sip until halftime!"  "Put that licorice down or you're ejected!"  Do you know what you sound like?  Your ancestors who fought in WWI and WWII would not believe it.

Never go full Rider!
TBURGESS

« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2021, 01:09:26 PM »

Fans and officers are going to dictate to me how fast I eat my popcorn?  What are they going to say?  "Eat your popcorn faster you heathen!"  "No you can't take another sip until halftime!"  "Put that licorice down or you're ejected!"  Do you know what you sound like?  Your ancestors who fought in WWI and WWII would not believe it.
Of course they won't do that. The governments and business expect people to do the right thing. When they don't, nothing happens to them.

The guys who fought in WWI would completely understand the need to mask up because of the 1918 and on pandemic. Note they had a wear a mask or go to jail law at the time. The WWII guys understand the need for people to do the right thing what they don't don't understand the 'I don't wanna do it' crowd.

You're part of the problem that's causing the rest of us to have mask up for years instead of months.

Pigskin

« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2021, 06:23:30 PM »

I see the covid case numbers have went up the last two days in Manitoba. I hope we can control this before it gets, out of control again.
blue_or_die

« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2021, 06:30:38 PM »

I see the covid case numbers have went up the last two days in Manitoba. I hope we can control this before it gets, out of control again.

More than likely we will be swept into the chaos and lockdowns other provinces are just getting into eventually. Things look very, very bad for the CFL.

Pigskin

« Reply #55 on: April 08, 2021, 06:39:00 PM »

With Shoppers Drug Mart and Doctor's vaccinating with Astra Z. Things should pickup a bit in Manitoba.
GCn19

« Reply #56 on: April 09, 2021, 04:51:46 PM »

I think the possibility of fans in the stands in any meaningful way before Labor Day are extremely remote.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
Pigskin

« Reply #57 on: April 09, 2021, 06:24:30 PM »

Yes, our numbers jumped up again today to 179.

Canada shatters single day Covid record with over 9000 new infections.

Men's World Curling Playoffs postponed due to asymptomatic test results.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 06:27:05 PM by Pigskin » Logged
theaardvark

« Reply #58 on: April 12, 2021, 04:00:03 PM »

Pharmacy vaccine is opening up... in MB, priority lists for people over 55 are eligible at Sobeys (health conditions, living with people with health conditions) so the wife and I go in on Wed...  AZ first dose...

A lot of people are questioning the AZ vaccine, I am quite happy it is the one I am getting.  I love the fact it was tested in places where varieants were active, and that while the efficacy against getting COVID might be lower than the others (75% vs. 95%), hospitalizations on AZ are zero.  Which is exactly what I want to avoid. 

Pigskin

« Reply #59 on: April 12, 2021, 04:31:14 PM »

Men's World Curling Championship wrapped up with all players wearing masks.
Pigskin

« Reply #60 on: April 12, 2021, 04:42:31 PM »

Pharmacy vaccine is opening up... in MB, priority lists for people over 55 are eligible at Sobeys (health conditions, living with people with health conditions) so the wife and I go in on Wed...  AZ first dose...

A lot of people are questioning the AZ vaccine, I am quite happy it is the one I am getting.  I love the fact it was tested in places where varieants were active, and that while the efficacy against getting COVID might be lower than the others (75% vs. 95%), hospitalizations on AZ are zero.  Which is exactly what I want to avoid. 

As Doctors keep saying all of these vaccine's are good. Just get one. As far as the variants go, time will only tell. The Pfizer I received last week, may not be the Pfizer I receive in a couple of months as they are tweaking vaccines everyday.   
theaardvark

« Reply #61 on: April 12, 2021, 05:40:14 PM »

As Doctors keep saying all of these vaccine's are good. Just get one. As far as the variants go, time will only tell. The Pfizer I received last week, may not be the Pfizer I receive in a couple of months as they are tweaking vaccines everyday.  

I agree completely... I was just trying to say that don't pass on AZ because Pfizer / Moderna have a better protection from infection %... 

Sec227

« Reply #62 on: April 12, 2021, 07:21:50 PM »

Without the Feds Ponying up $$ I think the season is in Jeopardy. Read on 3downation the April 19th is a date to "postpone" with a guarantee of some fans. Hopefully Labor day games!

theaardvark

« Reply #63 on: April 13, 2021, 04:52:40 PM »

Without the Feds Ponying up $$ I think the season is in Jeopardy. Read on 3downation the April 19th is a date to "postpone" with a guarantee of some fans. Hopefully Labor day games!

The Feds should offer a limited amount of funding, they have for every other affected business, and no business has been affected more than the CFL...

The 75% CERB wage subsidy was a lifeline to many businesses, I am guessing head offices in teh CFL did take some of that cash, but I don't think that was extended to any players, as they are contractors... 

A little subsidy to offset what the league thought was necessary in asking the CFLPA to take a 20% haircut if no fans were in the stands would be fine...  until the gov't gets the vaccine rolled out and the fans back in the stands with gov't approval... The US is way ahead of us on that, and its not the CFL's fault. 

Most important thing I can see being needed for an on time start is getting vaccine into the arms of Nat and Global players and the coaches/staff. 

Maybe the Rock can get us some US vaccines... THAT would be an XFL contribution I can get on board with... 

After what has happened in Vancouver, I can't see any team working out even in a bubble, especially with 80 players + coaches interacting.    Many coached will be vaccinated, some players might qualify under health concerns, and Americans are all eligible for vaccines next week.  The balance of players, coaches and staff would probably be about 500 doses... I'm sure we are getting to the point where that would be easy to source out of the US, especially with AZ still not approved down there yet they are manufacturing it like crazy...

3rdand1.5

« Reply #64 on: April 13, 2021, 06:42:41 PM »

With the media all "a-buzz" of the 3rd wave and now some media pushing a 4th wave for younger generations, many provinces going back to lockdowns or increased restrictions as the vaccine is being rolled out, coupled with panic of new strains, blood clots etc. I really do not see fans in the stands anytime soon. IMO I don't se Provincial public health authorities allowing large gatherings at all in the 2021 CFL season.

I was hopeful that Labour Day was a realistic goal but from the progression over the last 2 months, I don't think that LD is a realistic time frame.
buckzumhoff

« Reply #65 on: April 14, 2021, 11:52:34 AM »

The govt should cut back on lfunding to the next winter Olympics or give nothing at all.  They dont put any money into sports and are saving alot of money by having things shut down. But watch them spend on tv and advertising and travel to the next olympics in china. But they wont spend any money here . They'll spend millions on a 2 week event and nothing here for 2 years
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« Reply #66 on: April 15, 2021, 01:17:51 AM »

The federal government won't provide the CFL with an interest-free loan in 2021: report....

https://3downnation.com/2021/04/14/the-federal-government-wont-provide-the-cfl-with-an-interest-free-loan-in-2021-report/
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 03:43:36 AM by ModAdmin » Logged

TecnoGenius

« Reply #67 on: April 15, 2021, 02:52:17 AM »

Don't agree with most of that article, or "look at me, I love football, honestly" Trudeau, but this part is spot on:

Any government support would be with the caveat that football will be played for years to come. And with that would come financial transparency from the CFL regarding its future.

If the CFL really wants money above and beyond the assistance made available by the government, the league should expect to show they are going to be able to remain financially solvent for years to come.

I'm completely on board with that.  And if there is federal money possibly on the table and the above is the stumbling block, then shame on Ambrosie.  The transparency from the league is laughable.  Oh well, at least silence is better than lies, so there's that.

Never go full Rider!
buckzumhoff

« Reply #68 on: April 15, 2021, 03:03:02 AM »

That's why the XFL would be better than dealing with any help from the govt. More upside with the states than any help from this  side of the border
buckzumhoff

« Reply #69 on: April 18, 2021, 01:08:36 PM »

Still flights into Canada from south  Korea and India and other countries. But we all got to stay away from our families here in canada. Cant visit even family in the city. The CFL I think will fold. I cant see them operating. If this is the plan they are using no way can play without fans and even if there is . It was tough with small crowds I cant see them making it . This talk about starting in august or September pipe dream . Ontario and BC biggest problem created by our politicians
Pigskin

« Reply #70 on: April 19, 2021, 01:14:50 PM »

Well back to the topic, I think with all the up swing in cases in Canada and the new variants, sadly the season will not start on time.
Blue In BC

« Reply #71 on: April 19, 2021, 01:40:39 PM »

Well back to the topic, I think with all the up swing in cases in Canada and the new variants, sadly the season will not start on time.

It's looking that way as you mentioned. Vancouver beaches and outdoor venues are crowded with people not wearing masks.

Everyone is tired of Covid but this is not helping. I'd like to be able to travel or sit indoor at a restaurant but it's almost a distant memory.

If the start of the season is delayed by too much it will be a repeat of 2020. There will be no season IMO if we aren't playing by late June.

I shortened season is a no go IMO. Players won't accept further reduction in salaries by a 9 game schedule for example.

No more excuses.
Pigskin

« Reply #72 on: April 19, 2021, 04:07:20 PM »

I see the season starting on Labor Day. By then all Canadians should have at less one vaccination and many of us will be fully vaccinated. Some play may choose not to play , but most of them will and for a prorated amount.
Blue In BC

« Reply #73 on: April 19, 2021, 04:18:38 PM »

I see the season starting on Labor Day. By then all Canadians should have at less one vaccination and many of us will be fully vaccinated. Some play may choose not to play , but most of them will and for a prorated amount.

I don't believe that is practical or desirable at any level. That represents about an 8 - 9 game season. Can't really extend it into December - January due to weather restrictions.

That's not the CFL as we know it. I for one would have no interest in that. Having only divisional games or playing each other team once takes away all the important rivalry stuff.

Many players already took 20% or more salary cuts. Shorten the season by another 50% spells trouble.

I'd think in order to " accept " some players opting out, the ratio would need to be eliminated. Seeing one Canadian starter on any team is always difficult at the best of times. It impacts the quality of play.

IIRC there is at least 1 unnamed CFL team that doesn't want to play without fans or a shortened season.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 04:48:58 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
BLUEBOMBER

« Reply #74 on: April 19, 2021, 07:25:15 PM »

There was never any doubt that the season wouldn't start on time.  My guess is we will be lucky if we can start on Canada Day.
Pigskin

« Reply #75 on: April 19, 2021, 07:50:37 PM »

Canada Day would be nice.
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #76 on: April 20, 2021, 04:45:10 PM »

That's exactly why I stopped a couple of days ago.

It's probably time for a mod to step in and either clean up the trash or just lock the thread. It's been completely derailed.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« Reply #77 on: April 21, 2021, 03:23:57 AM »

The thread has been cleaned up.  Comments related to the COVID situation, previously in this thread, can be found in the following link on the Offside Forum.

http://forums.bluebombers.com/index.php?topic=53154.0

blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #78 on: April 21, 2021, 04:09:53 PM »

Looks like an August start is the best we can expect for the 2021 CFL season: https://www.tsn.ca/cfl-announces-plans-for-shortened-season-starting-in-august-1.1627462

I am cautiously optimistic about this development.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
Blue In BC

« Reply #79 on: April 21, 2021, 04:36:54 PM »

Well we finally got some news. It could have been worse but it's probably just their best guess at the moment.

Potentially it's a 22% reduction in games and in theory what players will earn?  IMO I'd draw a line here. Any further delay or reduction in games to this would be more problem than solution. As is we'll have to see how players react.

Didn't see whether pre season games would still be played. Nothing really of significance about XFL talks. Nothing about finding actual financing needed. No certainty of fans in the stands.

So IMO this is just smoke and mirrors. Blah, blah, blah. See quote below:

What I can say is that in this announcement, behind this announcement, are backup plans and backup plans to our backup plans and backup plans to the backup plans.

Excuse rant. Disappointed, depressed about continued uncertainty.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 04:46:05 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
TBURGESS

« Reply #80 on: April 21, 2021, 05:03:26 PM »

It's a hope and prayer announcement. IMO, if they were confident they'd have released a new schedule. They wouldn't be saying everything is still on the table or that there might be no pre-season games or that the CFLPA hasn't signed off on it.

blue_or_die

« Reply #81 on: April 21, 2021, 05:30:29 PM »

Essentially nothing substantive.

Blue In BC

« Reply #82 on: April 21, 2021, 05:36:51 PM »

I suspect we'll hear from a few players or the CFLPA at some point in the near future.

I agree that the comments about possibility of no pre season, rookie camps or shortened TC are all very concerning.

How do you fill a roster based on that? eenie meenie, minee mo?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 05:39:49 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
Pigskin

« Reply #83 on: April 21, 2021, 06:02:00 PM »

About what some of us thought. Canada Day to Labor Day start. At this point we will take what we can get.
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« Reply #84 on: April 21, 2021, 06:49:40 PM »

CFL Announces Plans To Return-to-play For 2021 Season

TORONTO - The Canadian Football League (CFL) Commissioner Randy Ambrosie issued the following statement on Wednesday announcing the League's Return-to-Play plans for the 2021 season:

"We will play CFL football in 2021.

"Our revised target date to start our regular season is August 5. To facilitate a 14-game season, for our players, fans and partners, we are re-scheduling the Grey Cup to December 12 in Hamilton, Ontario.

"I say 'target date' because our plans are subject to the state of COVID-19 across the country. A so-called 'third wave' in some provinces is forcing us today to postpone the start of our regular season, which had been scheduled for June 10.

"So, what must be in place for us to kick off on August 5? Two things. 1. The approval of public health officials across the country of our plans for protecting the health of our players, coaches, and ultimately our fans, so a 2021 season is safe. 2. Permission from governments to host a significant number of fans in the stands, in a significant number of venues at the start of the season, and in the rest of our venues soon after that, so a 2021 season is financially tenable for our clubs.

"The CFL depends on ticket revenue more than other professional sports leagues in North America. Fans in the stands account for at least half of our revenue. Our clubs already stand to suffer substantial financial losses this year. Playing without fans in the stands would dramatically increase those losses.

"We are prepared to be creative as well as prudent. For example, if we are unable to host fans in the East because of COVID-19, we are prepared to start play in the West, provided eastern teams can return to their home provinces, and play in front of their fans, later in the season.

"And we have contingency plans in place, should factors beyond our control delay the start of our season beyond August 5. The bottom line is we are optimistic we will have a season in 2021, culminating in a great Grey Cup.

"Everyone who loves the CFL can help us and their communities. Please, when it is your turn, get vaccinated. And please follow your local public health guidelines on measures including wearing a mask and social distancing.

"To our players, fans and partners: thank you for your patience as well as your passion for our game. Thank you all the frontline workers out there for all they're doing for all of us. We look forward to keeping you posted on our progress and to kicking off another great season of CFL football on August 5."

blue_or_die

« Reply #85 on: April 21, 2021, 07:18:02 PM »

Given the weirdness of the year and mostly because the GC would be mid-December, why not just defer the location to Vancouver? There's a dome, better weather, and a huge stadium to space out in if there are to be fans attending?

bomb squad

« Reply #86 on: April 21, 2021, 07:46:43 PM »

They said about as much as I could reasonably expect at this time. It's a plan. Mid June should give us a good picture of the vaccine effect and timeline. I'm encouraged.
blue_or_die

« Reply #87 on: April 21, 2021, 07:59:25 PM »

They said about as much as I could reasonably expect at this time. It's a plan. Mid June should give us a good picture of the vaccine effect and timeline. I'm encouraged.

I fully understand that they can't control a global health crisis or predict what the associated landscape will look like in a few months, but this is no more a "plan" than at the beginning of the year when they released their schedule. The "plan" then was to play a normal year; now the plan has changed and logically, we can expect the plan to change again, which is why it's hard to get excited or take it seriously.

The details that are missing are related to what dictates the season happening; i.e. is everything still tied to revenue coming from a certain number of fans paying for tickets? What needs to be the reality in order for this to go through? Or are clubs willing to take a certain amount of loss for the year? What are some backup scenarios considered? It's lack of communication on these that make us lose faith in the powers that be. It's easy to say "of course they are considering everything" but really, what have they shown to earn that respectability?

Ridermania

« Reply #88 on: April 21, 2021, 11:36:46 PM »

If things are delayed again, how about just divisional games?

8 game schedule starting Labour Day week-end.

West Division: Each team plays a home & home only. 

East Division: Each team plays a modified divisional schedule, adding up to 8 games.

Play-Off Concept: 1st place gets a bye.  2 plays 3 and advances to division final against 1st place team.
bomb squad

« Reply #89 on: April 21, 2021, 11:39:26 PM »

East Division: Each team plays a modified divisional schedule, adding up to 8 games.

Play-Off Concept: 1st place gets a bye.  2 plays 3 and advances to division final against 1st place team.

Nah.
blue_or_die

« Reply #90 on: April 21, 2021, 11:46:33 PM »

Reasonable and realistic proposal IMO. Lots of ways this could work. What matters is that football is played.

BLUEBOMBER

« Reply #91 on: April 22, 2021, 01:56:49 AM »

Was hoping for an earlier start but I guess some football is better than none at all. 
TecnoGenius

« Reply #92 on: April 22, 2021, 04:33:13 AM »

"We will play CFL football in 2021.

Is that a promise?  Would they put money on that?

"I say 'target date' because our plans are subject to the state of COVID-19 across the country. A so-called 'third wave' in some provinces is forcing us today to postpone the start of our regular season, which had been scheduled for June 10.

Well, that's it then.  CFL is toast.  If they are waiting for the "all clear for 5 months" from the govt in most major cities they will wait for many more years, at minimum.

"So, what must be in place for us to kick off on August 5? Two things. 1. The approval of public health officials across the country of our plans for protecting the health of our players, coaches, and ultimately our fans, so a 2021 season is safe. 2. Permission from governments to host a significant number of fans in the stands, in a significant number of venues at the start of the season, and in the rest of our venues soon after that, so a 2021 season is financially tenable for our clubs.

I appreciate their honesty, candor and tying it to concrete requirements.  I also appreciate them finally admitting that a no-fan option is impossible so we can all forget it.  But what they just laid out will not come to pass in 2021: not in June, not in Aug, not in Oct.  They are repeating the playbook from 2020: "in another 2 months" to rhyme with the gov'ts eternal "just 2 more weeks to flatten the curve".

The best time to "play with covid" is in the middle of summer in the heat of day with the sun shining down.  Come the fall it'll be back to Oct 2020 all over again.

"We are prepared to be creative as well as prudent. For example, if we are unable to host fans in the East because of COVID-19, we are prepared to start play in the West, provided eastern teams can return to their home provinces, and play in front of their fans, later in the season.

I appreciate the creativity and it's a good idea, but that is assuming most of Canada will be OK, with just 1 or 2 hotspot cities.  Not going to happen.

"The bottom line is we are optimistic we will have a season in 2021, culminating in a great Grey Cup.

Wait, just above they said "we will play football".  Which is it, "will" or "optimistic".  Can't be both.  The put out a pretty good, honest, press release, then blow it with contradictions.  Guess they aren't prepared to just bum us all out with the truth.

Can't wait to see the oncoming exodus of players...

I'll bet $20 to anyone here 2 to 1 we won't play by Aug 5.  I'll bet anyone 1 to 1 we don't play any real games (for standing) at all in 2021.  And since we all know CFL won't survive a lost 2021, I guess this forum will have to turn into a general-Winnipeg forum, or where us old-timers can forever reminisce about the 2019 golden final CFL season.  Sad.

Never go full Rider!
TecnoGenius

« Reply #93 on: April 22, 2021, 04:40:24 AM »

I fully understand that they can't control a global health crisis or predict what the associated landscape will look like in a few months, but this is no more a "plan" than at the beginning of the year when they released their schedule. The "plan" then was to play a normal year; now the plan has changed and logically, we can expect the plan to change again, which is why it's hard to get excited or take it seriously.

Bingo.

Hi Rider!  All fans welcome in this commiseration-fest.  How are the green fans holding up over on yonder forum?  What's the general consensus there?  I can imagine they are going ballistic.

I like your idea, and if it's the best they can do, they should do it.  Doubt they could even make that work (TSN would have a cow with/if no East).  Literally anything to get the CFL on the field I'd go with.  If they don't get on the field then it's CFL death.

Never go full Rider!
Blue In BC

« Reply #94 on: April 22, 2021, 12:56:11 PM »

Reasonable and realistic proposal IMO. Lots of ways this could work. What matters is that football is played.

No interest in that idea. Try and sell that to the players that would have to take an additional 50% + pay cut. Not even sure how TSN would work out a revised revenue deal.

We don't know the position of the CFLPA or any agreement with the CFL on a shortened season. Salaries might be pro-rated or they might be full player salaries. I'm only assuming pro-rated salaries as what would happen.

If there are no fans in the stands then I can't see a 2021 season. As fans we want some version of a season. Unfortunately money is as much an obstacle as Covid safety protocols.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 02:24:54 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
Pigskin

« Reply #95 on: May 03, 2021, 06:55:10 PM »

So it sounds like depending on Covid restriction when the CFL returns to play, the Bombers could have a lottery for season tickets holders. I would be okay with this as long as you don't miss two games in a row.
Blue In BC

« Reply #96 on: May 04, 2021, 02:14:23 PM »

BC Dr Henry says no large crowds this summer and possibly fall as well as the expected direction moving forward.

That doesn't bode well for fans at BC Place and possibly across Canada at stadiums.

Not news I was hoping to hear.

No more excuses.
Blue In BC

« Reply #97 on: May 11, 2021, 03:20:40 PM »

Things are still sketchy but if season is to start August 5th then TC should be starting 3rd week of July?

We haven't heard when we'll see the new schedule or whether pre-season games will be part of 2021. A shortened TC was also part of the possible outcomes

Bombers now have over 100 players on their roster.  Just an assumption but I expect a few rookies will have moved on and not be reporting. I don't expect to lose any veterans though.

Must be driving the coaching staff nuts. How do you evaluate so many players in so short a time?

A few CFL teams have trimmed a few bodies but nothing consequential yet.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 04:22:35 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
gobombersgo
Global Moderator

« Reply #98 on: May 11, 2021, 05:24:39 PM »

So it sounds like depending on Covid restriction when the CFL returns to play, the Bombers could have a lottery for season tickets holders. I would be okay with this as long as you don't miss two games in a row.

Have you heard if Bomber for Life members are going to be given a priority over standard season ticket holders?

Pigskin

« Reply #99 on: May 11, 2021, 08:15:40 PM »

Would be nice, but didn't sound like it. I think they should give the long time season ticket holders the first shot at the available tickets. A bonus for there loyalty.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 02:15:02 AM by Pigskin » Logged
TecnoGenius

« Reply #100 on: May 12, 2021, 12:19:00 AM »

Have you heard if Bomber for Life members are going to be given a priority over standard season ticket holders?

Can you become BFL member immediately or is it an a priori / long-term thing?  If CFL ever gets going, I plan on buying STs immediately.  If BFL gets better treatment, of course I'll buy that too... if allowed.

BFL getting first dibs is a good idea, BTW.

Never go full Rider!
Ridermania

« Reply #101 on: May 12, 2021, 08:22:38 PM »

This is how the Blue Jays are handling fans when they relocate to Buffalo.

Fifty per cent of the seats available will be for vaccinated fans with no social distancing required, while 50 per cent of the seats will be for unvaccinated fans and require distancing of six feet. The Blue Jays say they will allow 35 per cent capacity at the 16,600-seat stadium for the first eight games (June 1 to June 17) in line with New York's latest guidelines.

All fans -- both vaccinated and unvaccinated -- will be required to wear masks while at Sahlen Field. Children will not have to be vaccinated to sit with a vaccinated parent at the ballpark.

I can see a very similar concept at Mosaic/Investors for a shortened season starting on Labour Day.
Pigskin

« Reply #102 on: May 12, 2021, 08:38:58 PM »

I can't see the MB Province Government allowing a full house. I would say 15,000 in September. October could be more depending on Vaccine.
Stretch

« Reply #103 on: May 13, 2021, 12:41:35 PM »

I would say 15,000 in September.

An ambitious prediction considering that's about 45% capacity. I'm guessing no more than 20% to start (~6,700), hopefully increasing to closer to 50% by mid October at the latest.

Money is no object...especially when you have none.
the paw

« Reply #104 on: May 13, 2021, 06:44:21 PM »

Ontario has just announced that there is very likely to be no large sporting events before September.

Furthermore, they also confirmed that they have NOT yet signed off on the CFL return to play protocol, as was reported in some circles during the draft. They are the second province to confirm that the return to play plan has not been approved.

I guess we can hope continued vaccinations and more disciplined behaviour from the public will slam those numbers down in the next 8 weeks or so, but the odds of starting a season with fans in the stands by August seem very slim. 

grab grass 'n growl
TecnoGenius

« Reply #105 on: May 13, 2021, 07:20:00 PM »

Fifty per cent of the seats available will be for vaccinated fans with no social distancing required, while 50 per cent of the seats will be for unvaccinated fans and require distancing of six feet.

You mean if I don't get a vax I'm guaranteed not to be seated next to a 400 lb fan who is taking up half of my seat too?  That might be a bonus!!   Wink Wink Cheesy Cheesy Grin Grin Grin  Granted, not as a big a problem as it was on the Canadinns benches, but still a problem, and with my "new random seat every game" method of buying tickets, it happens more than you'd think!  (I have nothing against big fans, they usually are some of the best fans, but the lean-halfway-out-of-my-seat thing gets tiresome (and sore) after the first hour.)

Shocked Shocked

Never go full Rider!
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« Reply #106 on: May 22, 2021, 07:08:36 PM »

CFL Players' Association 'pressing league' to commit to August 5 start date

.......The Canadian Football League Players' Association wants a unanimous guarantee from the board of governors regarding the targeted kick-off date for a potential 2021 season.

Union president Solomon Elimimian sent a memo to the membership on Friday, May 21.

We are continuing discussions with the league on both; the start of a season, and the mechanics of modifying the collective agreement to accommodate a COVID-restricted environment. Your bargaining committee is pressing the league to commit to the start date of August 5th, 2021, so you can get your affairs in order and prepare to play football.

With that said, the provincial and federal health authorities have the last word on when we can start training camp and begin a shortened season as there needs to be an allowance for a percentage of fan attendance.

We are also working with the CFL to access the CEWS program for eligible players, and we continue to work with them to ensure a smooth rollout of the payments.

Our communication lines remain open, and we urge you to contact your player reps, executive, and CFLPA office directly if you have any questions or comments.

The league office has targeted August 5 as a potential kick-off date for the regular season this year. After that announcement from commissioner Randy Ambrosie, the CFLPA advised players not to make any decisions related to current employment..........

https://3downnation.com/2021/05/21/cfl-players-association-pressing-league-to-commit-to-august-5-start-date/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=cfl-players-association-pressing-league-to-commit-to-august-5-start-date

Pigskin

« Reply #107 on: May 22, 2021, 08:46:47 PM »

Well let's hope that the Government and the CFL can come up with a start date, and also that all important percentage of fans that can attend.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #108 on: May 25, 2021, 08:45:15 PM »

CFL Players' Association 'pressing league' to commit to August 5 start date

.......The Canadian Football League Players' Association wants a unanimous guarantee from the board of governors regarding the targeted kick-off date for a potential 2021 season.

Union president Solomon Elimimian sent a memo to the membership on Friday, May 21.

Good for Solly!  That's exactly what I want too.  I think all fans deserve a guarantee, no more of this perpetual "4 months later" can-kicking.

Side question: can Solly still be CFLPA "union president" if he's no longer a player? (Now that he retired.)

Never go full Rider!
Blue In BC

« Reply #109 on: May 26, 2021, 12:47:48 PM »

I was thinking there would be pre season games and TC would start weekend of July 24th as my guess. Just a guess though. USA trending is very encouraging across the country.

Yesterday BC announced the staged plan to re-open. That includes projecting full stadiums about September 7th. That's if vaccinations continue at current rates and infections / hospital rates continue to go down.

That's a bunch of if's but things are headed in the right direction in BC. Now if other provinces can similarly improve their same trends, maybe we'll actually see some football. Most fans in the stands by early September would work financially?Huh??

EDIT: Just read on Facebook that the league announced / confirmed Aug 5 start to season. TC to open July 14th after 2 week quarantine for players. Nothing mentioned about whether pre season games are a go or not.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 03:00:32 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
Blue In BC

« Reply #110 on: May 26, 2021, 04:14:18 PM »

Now I'm reading my earlier post was inaccurate and the league has not advised players about August 5th start. That had been posted by NBC news and was not accurate and contradicted by the league.

Also read BC PM wants to push start later in August. That might tie in with expected stage 4 timeline of Sept 7 for large outdoor venue with normal crowds.

So nothing concrete once again.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 04:43:22 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
Cool Spot

« Reply #111 on: May 27, 2021, 03:32:18 AM »

BC Dr Henry says no large crowds this summer and possibly fall as well as the expected direction moving forward.

Ah. So basically no change in Toronto.
theaardvark

« Reply #112 on: May 27, 2021, 02:09:59 PM »

If the CFL thinks that waiting for a guarantee that fans will be in every stadium before they decide on a season start date is a viable option for this year, then we might as well kiss the season goodbye. 

Some teams are going to have to take it in the teeth when the season starts if the province the are in does not allow fans in the stands.  No silly "20% reduction in player compensation" for games played with no fans, just suck it up, buttercup.  Maybe get the teams to agree to a small revenue share to offset teams that will not have fans, and I mean small... maybe 10% of live gates go into a pool to be shared by no gate teams.  Or even shared based on % attendance allowed.

The CFL needs to set a start date, a TC date and just do it.  Enough futzing around, waiting for answers. 

No one knows what next month will bring, with vaccines flowing like water, we should have enough fully vaccinated fans ready to go to games... and provinces should be loosening protocols for fully vaccinated people.  Manitoba has already loosened the restrictions for fully vaccinated people, if you are 14 days past shot#2, and you are a close contact of an active case, you do not have to self quarantine!  Step one towards opening up.

Tickets will have to have a disclaimer along the lines of "use of this ticket presumes the buyer is fully vaccinated against COVID-19, and should the buyer not be fully vaccinated, or should they contract COVID-19 even though they are fully vaccinated, the football club, stadium and all related parties will not be held responsible for any or all costs or expenses incurred therein."  or something to that effect...  I'm sure the the NHL, MLB or NFL in the US has the language worked out...

Blue In BC

« Reply #113 on: May 27, 2021, 03:41:24 PM »

Obviously there are many moving parts in the decision. That said it's necessary to make a predictive analysis and a resolution.

The league can't / shouldn't announce a short notice to all parties involved. Facilities, services, booking / planning travel etc all take some preparation.

We won't know with certainty about attendance levels for awhile. There doesn't seem to be any money coming to offset the reduction of revenue.

I'm not quite in the " just do it " crowd but do agree the gating issues need to be determined. A plan put in place with contingencies.

The beginning of July is 35 days away. Quarantine and TC starting 2-3 weeks afterwards? Every team has massive rosters that need to be trimmed in some form of rookie camp in this process.

Tick tock, tick tock, tick tock.

No more excuses.
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 8 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: