Blue Bombers Forum
September 27, 2021, 03:31:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8  All
  Print  
Author Topic: On Time Season Start? (Revised with August 5, 2021 Start)  (Read 10054 times)
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« on: March 24, 2021, 03:11:52 AM »

Dave Naylor is reporting tonight the CFL is proposing an on time start to the season subject to some conditions yet to be divulged.

The league must be getting some signals that this is going to be a strong possibility.  More news to follow I presume.

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2021, 03:19:10 AM »

David William Naylor
@TSNDaveNaylor

26m
For months we have speculated the @CFL
 season unlikely to start on time based on the presumption that teams would not begin a season without fans in stands. The @CFL
 proposal Tuesday would be a way around that. Regular season due to start June 10th.#CFL #CFLPA

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2021, 03:20:09 AM »

David William Naylor
@TSNDaveNaylor

53m
The @CFL has delivered a proposal to the @CFLPA targeting an on-time start to the 2021 season by asking players for a 20 per cent pay cut that would apply if no fans in stands. Salaries would then be topped-up over the course of the season as fans return to stands. #CFL

ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2021, 03:29:42 AM »

CFL delivers on-time season start proposal to players' association with 20 per cent pay cut caveat

March 23, 2021

The Canadian Football League wants to kick-off the 2021 season as scheduled, if all goes according to plan.

TSN reporter Dave Naylor has the latest details.

The CFL has delivered a proposal to the CFLPA targeting an on-time start to the 2021 season by asking players for a 20 per cent pay cut that would apply if no fans in stands. Salaries would then be topped-up over the course of the season as fans return to stands, Naylor tweeted.

Even though CFL teams know stadiums will not be fully open at any point for the 2021 season, players could earn full wages for periods of the season. All this subject to CFL?s return-to-play protocol being approved, he added.

For months we have speculated the CFL season unlikely to start on time based on the presumption that teams would not begin a season without fans in stands. The CFL proposal Tuesday would be a way around that. Regular season due to start June 10th, Naylor concluded.

The CFL unveiled its 2021 schedule last November with the pre-season scheduled to begin on Sunday, May 23, while the regular season is slated to get underway on Thursday, June 10, and the Grey Cup in Hamilton on Sunday, November 21.

The league and union began meetings during the second week of February with a focus on playing football this year. The two sides have submitted return to play health and safety plans to various levels of government in Canada.

Commissioner Randy Ambrosie has promised plenty of football during the current year.

https://3downnation.com/2021/03/23/cfl-delivers-on-time-season-start-proposal-to-players-association-with-20-per-cent-pay-cut-caveat/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=cfl-delivers-on-time-season-start-proposal-to-players-association-with-20-per-cent-pay-cut-caveat

bluengold204

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2021, 04:00:51 AM »

Bold move, don?t really see the players going for this though not sure what they get out of it.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2021, 05:43:41 AM »

Tough ask for the players.  They must know that there is a chance that fans never return to stands in 2021.  What happens then?  They get (20%) shafted the whole season?

And keep in mind this would be 20% less on top of their already vastly reduced new salaries!  Ouch.  How many times can you poke them before they cry foul?

I hope the players go for it, as I'd do anything to get CFL going again... but I wouldn't bet money they will.

Also, did Ambrosie mention office staff / coaching staff / execs / himself also taking a 20% pay cut until fans return?  Pretty hypocritical and weak if he's just asking the players to sacrifice.  The non-players should all take a 25% additional temporary pay cut just to show solidarity.

All that said, I love love love the idea of running the season as scheduled.  If they don't, they might never start back up, as there'll always be some excuse.  I hope this latest idea is in good faith, because if it's a no-dice head fake knowing the players will never agree, it could just be a weak excuse to shift the blame for not starting to the players.  That would be very lame.

Never go full Rider!
TBURGESS

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2021, 11:43:45 AM »

The bold 'It's not our fault, it's the players fault for not taking 20% more in salary cut' strategy. Good job CFL brass. Everyone will believe you. Grin

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.
3rdand1.5

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2021, 11:59:09 AM »

It appears the Fed's are not interested in providing money to the CFL.

The CFL does not have any major sponsor or group of rich owners willing to float it. As a whole the league is at best on "rocky" financial terms.

If the Gov't ruling in the provinces with teams will not allow fans in stands then it really doesn't leave much other choice does it? The CFL as a whole does have a number of incredibly diverse and successful business minds involved and not one has come up with a solution for an influx of funds as required.

No one likes to get hit in the wallet but what realistically are the options?
-Accept the deal and possibly play and make 80% of your salary
-Decline the deal and due to the lack of finances have the season cancelled and make 0% of your salary, or take the gamble that the Provincial Gov'ts will allow fans at some point. (The risk is if the Provinces have fans early you make potentially close to your full salary, or the Provinces delay having fans till late summer or not at all and then risk a prorated salary of less than 80%)

It sucks for players and they all will not be happy, but the harsh reality is that the CFL doesn't have any money to pay them, without fans the income isn't there to be able to pay the players.

I would look very differently on this if the owners etc. were raking in profits on the backs of players, but no one is making any money!

Blue In BC

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2021, 01:39:29 PM »

I don't see this idea working after most players took 20% or more cuts already. This could result in many players opting out for some or all of 2021.

It's getting ugly and I feel for the players as well as he fans of the CFL.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 02:29:26 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

2019 Grey Cup Champions
TBURGESS

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2021, 01:45:51 PM »

The reality is that most players have already taken a 20%+ decrease in salary this year. The CFL's ask is another 20% pay cut for the weeks where there aren't (m)any fans in the stands and no one knows how many weeks that would be. To make that even a little bit palatable, the CFL Management and staff would also have to take an additional 20% pay cut too so that the pain is the same for everyone. I have no idea if that's part of the deal or not.

I'll never understand the thinking that rich owners should be ready to bleed red ink to provide entertainment to the masses. They didn't get rich by taking losses and they don't stay rich by taking losses. Rich owners will do what ever they can to reduce their losses and that's what people should expect them to do.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.
the paw

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2021, 02:10:29 PM »

The bold 'It's not our fault, it's the players fault for not taking 20% more in salary cut' strategy. Good job CFL brass. Everyone will believe you. Grin

Exactly.  This is dropping the hot potato in the lap of the CFLPA, looking for a scapegoat. 

I note that Hodge's Insider Talk has a quote pertaining to the growth of executive compensation over the last 20 years, which is a point I made in another thread.  What other industry, where maybe 30% of entities are mildly profitable, 40% barely break even, and 30% are perpetually mired in red ink, rewards its leadership with exponential increased in compensation? 

Seriously, what's the end game?  "Hmm.  We've managed to grind player compensation down from half of league revenues to 25%.  If we can only get them down to 15%, the gravy train keeps rolling..."

grab grass 'n growl
Pigskin

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2021, 02:28:43 PM »

I can't see players taken another pay cut.

With numbers going up and the new variants, I can't see fans in the stands till 75-80% of our population has the vaccine.

Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.
Blue In BC

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2021, 03:53:21 PM »

Even if fans are allowed to attend there will be less fans in the stands initially for many possible reasons.

Fans have taken a financial hit and may shelve their discretionary spending for a few months. Many will not have received their Covid vaccinations yet.

That could result in smaller attendance game to game or city to city at the beginning of the season.

So where would the league and players draw a line on what " fans in the stands " means?

It's a slippery slope.

EDIT: It was bad enough needing to have higher paid players take big cuts. This new concept would include players on ELC's taking 20% cuts.

Very unfortunate situation.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 06:51:20 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

2019 Grey Cup Champions
3rdand1.5

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2021, 05:06:56 PM »

The team owners (some are owned by community) do not have the funds available to support play without gate (reality is even with full gate 20-30% lose money)

Without a season I would also assume coaches, trainers, management, therapists, ticket sellers, food workers etc. would also get zero

As mentioned above with "new strains" and how behind we are on vaccinations already coupled with many/most Provincial Health Authorities erring on the side of caution the likely-hood of fans in the stands any time soon is very slim

There is no "gravy train" for anyone right now. Pre-Covid yes some management was highly paid (probably over-paid)  and some players, hello Reilly were being paid an unsustainable amount. Non of that matters today. All that matters today is the league saw minimal to no income last year, the players, coaches etc. saw minimal to no income as a result

The CFL was not in great financial condition in 2019 some teams were in downright a bleeding red state, now we are in 2021 and it's worse not better

I don't think the players will take the deal, and they have every right not to

If that happens then what, almost all teams can't even afford 80% salary without fans, heck close to half the teams couldn't afford 80% even with their full gate.

So if it get's turned down people can point fingers all they want, blame managers, blame the CFL execs. blame the players, blame Gainer. Another lost season would be detrimental

To make a living as a football player you have to play in the CFL or the NFL. Those who can, play in the NFL as most times one year can equal multiple years or even an entire career in the CFL. Those who can't play in the NFL and want to continue in football to try and make a living playing in the CFL, after that what's the alternative, not really anything financially viable. It down-right sucks for the players but the harsh reality is what are the other options within the realms of playing football?
blue_or_die

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2021, 05:23:52 PM »

Pretty embarrassing to put this on the players. They've done enough and are only part of where revenues are spent. League is going to have to be more creative and/or prepare to take some losses this year, simple as that.

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8  All
  Print  

Jump to: