Blue Bombers Forum
June 12, 2021, 06:34:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18
  Print  
Author Topic: CFL / XFL venture  (Read 10609 times)
theaardvark

« Reply #225 on: April 26, 2021, 04:31:18 PM »

No interest at all in watching CFL teams play NFL rules.  CFL utilizes exciting rules to make enjoyable games with less talented players (CFL will always be second level player talent, I have no issue with that, I can afford tickets)

It is the rules that make the CFL more exciting and interesting.  Fair catch, removing any chance of kickoff returns, the most fun plays in football have been eliminated in the NFL game.  2nd and long is a huge difference one league to the next.  Too many advantages in CFL rules to ever go backwards...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #226 on: April 28, 2021, 02:00:52 PM »

I'm indifferent to the whole kick return thing... it seems like at least 90% of kicks end up in a penalty of some sort, no yards... holding... block in the back... seems all for naught...  not to mention concussions...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
Blue In BC

« Reply #227 on: April 28, 2021, 04:34:23 PM »

I'm indifferent to the whole kick return thing... it seems like at least 90% of kicks end up in a penalty of some sort, no yards... holding... block in the back... seems all for naught...  not to mention concussions...

Don't forget about the importance of the single point aspect on punts or K/O's in the CFL. Games could be decided in those instances.

No more excuses.
blue_or_die

« Reply #228 on: April 28, 2021, 05:41:42 PM »

90%?  Huh I don't think that's right at all..

Definitely knowing that "something" will happen after a ball is kicked or punted is one of the best differences in the Canadian game compared to the US one.

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
Pigskin

« Reply #229 on: April 28, 2021, 07:29:02 PM »

I could this confusing an American. When you grow up playing the Canadian style of football there is nothing confusing about it.
wpg#1

My comfy chair. Signed by Milt !

« Reply #230 on: April 28, 2021, 07:58:03 PM »

Kicking or punting in the NFL means nothing. Touchbacks and fair catch ( or let the ball roll around until someone puts their hand on it ) kills the kicking game down there.
At least there are kick and punt returns in the CFL. There's always a chance of an exciting return all the way !!
That seldom happens in the NFL.

GO BLUE BOMBERS GO !
COOL BEANS !
66 Chevelle

« Reply #231 on: April 28, 2021, 11:54:56 PM »

90%?  Huh I don't think that's right at all..

Definitely knowing that "something" will happen after a ball is kicked or punted is one of the best differences in the Canadian game compared to the US one.

the key word in my comment was seems... of course 90% was an exaggeration, but, when you look at actual stats from 2019 you'll find that there were a total of 1465 penalties called during the season... 498 on offense, 560 on defense, and 407 on kicking opportunities with 317 of those 407 on punts...  that's 28% of all penalties called, or almost a third, where on kicking plays...

so, the actual math works out to, of 756 punts during the 2019 season 317 resulted in a penalty, 42%... not 90%, I know, but almost half... like I said, it was an exaggeration in my original comment, but, I'll say that the actual numbers were even higher than I thought they'd be...

then when you consider the total number of offensive/defensive plays vs the total number of kicking plays the ratio of penalties called per play is ridiculous in comparison...  that's all I'm saying... at the end of the day, if throwing up your arm for a fair catch on a punt is all I'd have to give up to retain the rest, I'm good with that...

blue_or_die

« Reply #232 on: April 29, 2021, 04:48:14 PM »

the key word in my comment was seems... of course 90% was an exaggeration, but, when you look at actual stats from 2019 you'll find that there were a total of 1465 penalties called during the season... 498 on offense, 560 on defense, and 407 on kicking opportunities with 317 of those 407 on punts...  that's 28% of all penalties called, or almost a third, where on kicking plays...

so, the actual math works out to, of 756 punts during the 2019 season 317 resulted in a penalty, 42%... not 90%, I know, but almost half... like I said, it was an exaggeration in my original comment, but, I'll say that the actual numbers were even higher than I thought they'd be...

then when you consider the total number of offensive/defensive plays vs the total number of kicking plays the ratio of penalties called per play is ridiculous in comparison...  that's all I'm saying... at the end of the day, if throwing up your arm for a fair catch on a punt is all I'd have to give up to retain the rest, I'm good with that...

How many of those are no yards calls though? Those are part of what makes the return game exciting.

ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« Reply #233 on: April 30, 2021, 01:42:00 AM »

Nothing in football is more boring or anti-climactic than the fair catch.  Would take CFL run backs any day of the week. Even some of the penalized CFL returns are more exciting than the fair catch.  What the heck is a "fair" catch anyway?  Grin Cheesy

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
66 Chevelle

« Reply #234 on: April 30, 2021, 02:02:08 AM »

How many of those are no yards calls though? Those are part of what makes the return game exciting.

no yard calls make punt returns exciting?Huh lol... you're killing me! lol

1 in every 2.3 punts end in a penalty... the average punt return for 2019 is 10.4 yards, and you're given 5 yards to begin with... there were only 42 returns over 30 yards out of 1007 punts, or 4%... so how is that exciting?

I get it, its your rules... like I said, I'm indifferent, just don't mistake my indifference for being in favor of fair catches...

Pigskin

« Reply #235 on: April 30, 2021, 02:15:20 AM »

Nothing in football is more boring or anti-climactic than the fair catch.  Would take CFL run backs any day of the week. Even some of the penalized CFL returns are more exciting than the fair catch.  What the heck is a "fair" catch anyway?  Grin Cheesy

I agree, and the touchback on kick offs is also a joke.
blue_or_die

« Reply #236 on: April 30, 2021, 01:22:19 PM »

no yard calls make punt returns exciting?Huh lol... you're killing me! lol

1 in every 2.3 punts end in a penalty... the average punt return for 2019 is 10.4 yards, and you're given 5 yards to begin with... there were only 42 returns over 30 yards out of 1007 punts, or 4%... so how is that exciting?

I get it, its your rules... like I said, I'm indifferent, just don't mistake my indifference for being in favor of fair catches...

Absolutely fair catch penalties are exciting. That means that even if there is no net return, the receiving team can get 15 yards tacked on. That's a field position swing. That changes the game and the potential for the offensive series.

It's not about breaking loose and taking it to the house on every return, it's having special teams impact field position in the chess match that is football. A game of inches, right?

blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #237 on: April 30, 2021, 05:58:51 PM »

I agree, and the touchback on kick offs is also a joke.

Utterly pointless but I guess it gives kickers a reason to participate in the game. Cheesy

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
Still can't fix stupid. Can't quarantine it, either.
Blue In BC

« Reply #238 on: May 05, 2021, 01:51:23 PM »

During the CFL draft I heard a comment regarding a March start to the season in 2023 as part of a merger concept.

None of that addresses rules, number of teams, field size, SMS or ratio concerns in a " merger ".

Moving the start date of a season might not be a horrible idea. However I don't see any aspect of a " merger " that interests me. OTOH I don't see a great advantage in moving the start date if there isn't a merger.

Too many balls in the air and NDA's preventing information to come forward.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 01:53:45 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
the paw

« Reply #239 on: May 05, 2021, 04:25:53 PM »

During the CFL draft I heard a comment regarding a March start to the season in 2023 as part of a merger concept.

None of that addresses rules, number of teams, field size, SMS or ratio concerns in a " merger ".

Moving the start date of a season might not be a horrible idea. However I don't see any aspect of a " merger " that interests me. OTOH I don't see a great advantage in moving the start date if there isn't a merger.

Too many balls in the air and NDA's preventing information to come forward.

Y'know, the idea of a merger revolts me, because I think the available stadium sizes in the US mean an inevitable move to an 11 man game, with 4 downs as part of the package.

And the tin-hatter in me wonders if the fact that both the Ti-Cats and Riders drafted high value TE prospects (in a league that for years hasn't really used the TE other than as a utility blocker) isn't those teams hedging their bets in the event a merger proceeds. 

grab grass 'n growl
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18
  Print  

Jump to: