Blue Bombers Forum
June 12, 2021, 08:37:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18
  Print  
Author Topic: CFL / XFL venture  (Read 10612 times)
Blue In BC

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2021, 08:04:00 PM »

XFL started play in 2020, and shuttered with COVID.  Bankrupted shortly thereafter, because why would anyone keep investing money into it for 3 letters?  McMahon isn't THAT stupid.   Dwayne picked it up for nothing, pretty sure he doesn't take on any of the debt, because they bankrupted and he just bought the rights.  So, he has about as much money as anybody for playing with something like this...

The key difference that is going to be difficult to get past is the CFL's diversity of ownership structures.  Community owned teams, independently owned teams, teams owned by other franchise types... these all make finding a common forward looking plan difficult. Add in a league designed to have one owner for all the teams, not sure how well that is going to work.

I'm surprised Dwayne did not just buy the Lions first, and then start suggesting a collaboration...

As usual you miss the entire point of how precarious the CFL is at the moment. It's no time to dick around with a league that folded and has yet to re-establish itself.

I see zero benefit.

No more excuses.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2021, 10:27:41 PM »

As usual you miss the entire point of how precarious the CFL is at the moment. It's no time to dick around with a league that folded and has yet to re-establish itself.

I see zero benefit.

Maybe not but Aards is quite right, the CFL's messy team ownership structure makes it very difficult to reach a consensus on anything, leaving Ambrosie desperately grasping at straws to keep the boat afloat.  As for a 2021 season, various levels of govt. have to give the CFL a green light before they can proceed implementing any concrete plans. We're all waiting.
theaardvark

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2021, 10:57:31 PM »

OK, been thinking about this, the line "Grow the Game" is key...

Dwayne knows he needs to earn not just gate, but TV revenue.  Having a small number of teams and an 8-12 game season means limited TV content.  Join with the CFL, and loop in maybe the German league or Mexican league we have been cultivating ties with, and add in the CFL season, you have enough content, live and taped, for a 24/7/365 football channel with zero NFL participation.   

Dwayne can then make up his own TV channel, we give up the ESPN pittance to participate in his channel, keep the TSN deal for Canada, and that is an additional revenue stream, might mean merch sales for teams, and depending on how the XFL pay structure is, they end up being a feeder league for us... and if players want to, they can double dip by playing in the XFL  (thinking kickers, maybe QB's, maybe Red's and DB's, players with less wear and tear that don't need down time) which also leads to XFL getting name recognition players...

Make it a 9 team league with affiliations makes it even better...

Making the seasons completely separate is key, and I don't think there will be a chance for a "World Bowl", because the teams will be at different levels...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
the paw

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2021, 11:05:53 PM »

Didn't the XFL have a bunch of money invested into an online gambling app that would facilitate in-game betting?

If I was The Rock, I might be tempted to pilot such an app on an established league with an established fan base.  Nothing to say that they couldnt deploy the app across 2 leagues eventually.  Such a partnership could also see a protocol for respecting each others contracts, and might see something like cost sharing tryout camps/combines in the US.

The point is, there may be points of collaboration short of interleague play or conversions to 4 down football.  The more modest forms of collaboration wouldn't preclude the need for other changes to the business model, but it might help.

grab grass 'n growl
Pigskin

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2021, 03:25:26 AM »

I think the CFL and Mr. A,. should just worry about getting a plan in place to play CFL football in 2021. As ZC said, 10 weeks till TC and the CFL has no plan in place. Get the 2021 season up and running and then Mr. A can worry about his pipe dreams.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2021, 03:49:55 AM by Pigskin » Logged
Tiger

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2021, 03:40:47 AM »

What is the downside to talking and perhaps coming up with new ideas that benefit both parties? The CFL has to worry about playing and finances but the XFL is in limbo so there is no rush or huge distraction. 

Ok. What is the upside? In a world where Covid and Trump have sucked up the oxygen, people are talking about football and the two leagues. Whether some how the two leagues act together, have agreements, negotiate TV, set up an app, or god help me, merge.  There is really nothing at this point but it buys visibility. 

It seems that the XFL has everything to gain without going into a long explanation. That said Americans think they are the best and know best - 3 downs seems like a no go - we tried this a few times.  Further the fact the XFL is talking with CFL allows them an excuse for not playing another season and for investors.

The CFL has limited benefits unless they need cash flow or and infusion. Also a move from 3 downs may cause a loss of fans - not viable in a gate driven league. 

At a minimum cooperation and friendly relations are probably not a bad idea.  In the meantime the Rock could help our marketing.

I seriously do not see a downside right now, but there are some limited benefits.

Football is easy if you're crazy as hell
 Bo Jackson

We are inclined to think that if we watch a football game or a baseball game, we have taken part in it
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

BC Sucks
Tiger
GCn19

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2021, 06:49:25 AM »

Didn't the XFL have a bunch of money invested into an online gambling app that would facilitate in-game betting?

If I was The Rock, I might be tempted to pilot such an app on an established league with an established fan base.  Nothing to say that they couldnt deploy the app across 2 leagues eventually.  Such a partnership could also see a protocol for respecting each others contracts, and might see something like cost sharing tryout camps/combines in the US.

The point is, there may be points of collaboration short of interleague play or conversions to 4 down football.  The more modest forms of collaboration wouldn't preclude the need for other changes to the business model, but it might help.

That was the AFL.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2021, 09:10:15 AM »

The CFL has limited benefits unless they need cash flow or and infusion. Also a move from 3 downs may cause a loss of fans - not viable in a gate driven league. 

Seeing how The Rock is in the XFL for a paltry $15M, and given that gateless CFL would burn through that in a couple of weeks, the "infusion" motive would strike me as moot.  No way he pumps in that and the many times that we would require.  So what's the point?

If the idea is to tie our boat to the XFL and make one league and have the mid-90's X-Era Part Deux, then no thanks, it will end even worse than the original did.

Also, we all know the XFL, XFL 2.0, AAF, <insert any other USA idea here>, will have a 99% chance of failure within 1-2 years.  So, again, why would we latch on to a guaranteed Titanic?

If Ambrosie really is looking at expansion / combination with XFL, then things must be massively desperate: worse than our worst nightmares.  If it's just marketing deals and a few player swaps for cross-pollination/promotion, ok fine, but then why is this the only word out of the CFL lately?

Like others said, if we are hitching to XFL, we are the senior member and the game must look more like CFL, not NFL.  100+ years vs 0.

This isn't looking good, and it's depressing.  The only good idea yet is the "World Bowl" because we can claim to be bigger than the NFL!  Assuming 2 completely separate leagues of course.  But then you have the 3/4 down problem... play 1 game 3 and 1 game 4 and take the aggregate score to select the World Champ?  Bring in a MEX team and an EU team too for the final World Playoffs?  That could be cool.  It would be interesting seeing how the ratio'd CFL champ would fare against all-IMPs XFL champ (but probably with C-list players).

Never go full Rider!
theaardvark

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2021, 01:26:03 PM »

Cross promoting works.

Cross pollination with opposing schedules works.

Sharing television outlets works.

You could even have exhibition games in opposing cities.  Gate on those is m'eh anyways.

Adding a name like "The Rock" would add interest if you are looking for new fans, north and south of the border.

As long as there is no amalgamation, rule changes or US expansion, I see a lot of positive with not a lot of downside. 

Dwayne isn't interested in making Football a sideshow, like XFL1 was.  I really think he wants it to be a legit opportunity for another level of football.  Reading him commiserating on not making the CFL, I get the feeling like if the XFL Rock had been around, he would have been able to give it a try, and make his mark there.  THAT makes some sense...

There will be no cash infusion, it doesn't make sense for either side (Dwayne invested $15mil in buying the XFL, but he does have a few more resources than that initial investment).  But there are some things money can't buy.  Free Rock endorsement of the league will be huge.  That alone is worth the discussion.  As long as Ambrosie has an exit strategy should nothing come of the talks that doesn't make the CFL look like it is weak, or a joke. 

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Blue In BC

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2021, 01:40:36 PM »

TSN has exclusive TV rights IIRC.

We'll see what comes out of this but I stand with thinking this is a horrible idea.

Spring football has a bad track record.

XFL postponing their 2022 season is greatly concerning. What could they possibly be discussing that would impact that aspect? Our season and theirs are on a completely different time schedule. The Rocks involvement in the XFL is interesting but I don't see any value he'd bring to the CFL in any marketing idea.

Totally different games.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2021, 01:47:12 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2021, 02:18:55 PM »

https://3downnation.com/2021/03/10/wade-miller-says-potential-xfl-partnership-is-not-due-to-cfls-financial-struggles/

Winnipeg Blue Bombers' President and CEO Wade Miller has denied that the CFL?s new potential partnership with the XFL is due to the league's financial struggles.

The CFL reportedly lost between $60 and $80 million in 2020 after cancelling its season due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.

"You would have discussions with this group at any time when you look at their track record of success in sports and global entertainment," said Miller in an interview with 3DownNation. "I would think as a league we?d have these discussions regardless of whether we were in a pandemic or not."

The CFL and XFL made a joint announcement on Wednesday regarding its formalized discussions. Miller shed some light on what those mean for the CFL.

"Right now it's an exchange of ideas about the game - marketing, officiating, and our business. We just need to wait and see. I think what today is about is just being transparent with our fans to let them know that we're having these discussions," said Miller.

"The ultimate goal is to find a way to grow football. How can we innovate? We look at officiating, how we run our businesses, the overall business operations of the game and how we make football stronger in Canada and around North America."

Miller is adamant that these discussions with the XFL will have no impact on the 2021 season. In the long-term, he won't rule out the possibility of anything - even the CFL and XFL merging to become one league.

"Speculating on what the outcome could be when we?re starting the process? It's just too early," said Miller.

A business partnership where the two leagues remain as separate entities while sharing resources, etc. could make sense but the last thing I'd want to see is a merging type of situation or substantial changes made to the fabric of Canadian football.

Gary Lawless chiming in with his inane opinions should be ignored. He's not helping an already precarious situation with his dumb takes. Stick to Vegas hockey, Gary.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
Still can't fix stupid. Can't quarantine it, either.
Sec227

« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2021, 02:28:20 PM »

To whoever made this point.."Why doesn't The Rock buy the Lions". Whats that team worth? They don't own the building etc. 10,20 million at the most.  Make him buy a pc of that team IMHO. That market would get a huge boost with his name and following. If he was so serious about some partnership, his partners and him can be team owners in the CFL first. And can work on synergies or whatever they want to call it for the XFL.
bigbuff33

« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2021, 02:44:04 PM »

Really not sure what to think...

I think the CFL is in a really difficult financial situation...

I don't want to see four down football...but, by the same token...I think branding with the Rock is big...I for one watch any movies he's in just because of his name.

Just really confused what to think...

Are we going to have a CFL season this year...

I know I just miss the excitement of game day anticipation...30, 000 fans cheering for the Blue.

The times they are a changin.
the paw

« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2021, 03:09:02 PM »

That was the AFL.

Okay, I guess I confused them. All the same, I wonder who owns that technology now, and what are they doing with it?

On edit:  Actually I think it was the AAF that owned the app, and it appears their demise was linked to a crisis in crypto currency...

https://qz.com/1611214/aaf-football-league-collapse-tied-to-ifinexs-crypto-bank-scandal/

On further edit, the app appears to have been sold to MGM Resorts International.  Get them on the phone!

https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/27427719/court-approves-sale-aaf-gambling-app-mgm
« Last Edit: March 11, 2021, 03:18:51 PM by the paw » Logged

grab grass 'n growl
bigbuff33

« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2021, 03:14:20 PM »

Just reading a post from The Rock last night...it's up on TSN website...

The man sure loves the CFL...that can only be a good thing...

I just wanna see football played at IGField
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18
  Print  

Jump to: