Blue Bombers Forum
June 12, 2021, 07:39:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18
  Print  
Author Topic: CFL / XFL venture  (Read 10611 times)
theaardvark

« on: March 10, 2021, 04:13:29 PM »

Lawless is suggesting merger and 4 down north of the border... I think Dwayne is smarter than that, he knows 3 down is more exciting...

Hoping it is just a player sharing opportunity, with cross promotion...  and maybe a "World Championship" game...

XFL using CFL rules?  One way to make them different than NFL... ratio of course is a non-starter, but 3 downs could be huge... the rouge might be an issue like the DH...
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 04:18:27 PM by theaardvark » Logged

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
BlueInCgy

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2021, 04:29:08 PM »

Four downs would be a non starter for me, especially since you're talking about one league with decades of history and another (while it may be better capitalized) that hasn't actually strung together two full seasons.

I suspect this is another one of Ambroisie's "We're doing something, but not actually doing something" things.
Blue In BC

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2021, 05:14:57 PM »

Four downs would be a non starter for me, especially since you're talking about one league with decades of history and another (while it may be better capitalized) that hasn't actually strung together two full seasons.

I suspect this is another one of Ambroisie's "We're doing something, but not actually doing something" things.

Agree. The XFL is laughable and only played something like 6 games? Their future is in doubt even with new owners.

Different rules, SMS levels roster size, ratio etc.  What's to merge? I can't envision a scenario where CFL players will look at XFL to expand their career / playing opportunities. Conversely XFL players will look towards the NFL more than the CFL.

This idea falls into the " lets expand " the CFL teams into the USA.  No, interest in that.

The CFL needs to be addressing how to make our league succeed in Covid and post Covid situations.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 05:18:38 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2021, 05:15:35 PM »

Growing the sport is one thing. Turning our game into some watered down 4-down nonsense is another - and that is not okay.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
Still can't fix stupid. Can't quarantine it, either.
Jesse

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2021, 05:25:08 PM »

Growing the sport is one thing. Turning our game into some watered down 4-down nonsense is another - and that is not okay.

There's more than one insider suggesting it's on the table at the moment.

This may turn out to be nothing...or it might be a major reinvention of the game.

My wife is amazing!
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2021, 05:26:03 PM »

This may turn out to be nothing...or it might be a major reinvention of the game.

Then the CFL will be dead if that happens, IMO. And I can't say I'll be interested in supporting whatever it is that takes its place.

The CFL doesn't need to be reinvented. It needs to change its business model and way of generating revenue.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 05:31:11 PM by blue_gold_84 » Logged

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
Still can't fix stupid. Can't quarantine it, either.
Blue In BC

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2021, 05:31:00 PM »

A reinvention might include some ideas that could change. Nothing to do with the XFL falls into that category IMO.

Every season their are discussions that change the game. Most of that is about rule changes.

Changes to contract length for veterans giving them greater opportunity to look at NFL opportunities or even explore CFL free agency.

No more excuses.
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2021, 05:32:44 PM »

XFL postpones 2022 season, will discuss opportunities with CFL

The XFL's 2022 season has been postponed as the league and its owners - Dany Garcia, Dwayne Johnson and RedBird Capital - have engaged in discussion with the Canadian Football League to discuss opportunities for the two leagues to collaborate, innovate, and grow the game of football, according to a release on Wednesday. Garcia, among others, addressed the situation in a statement provided in the release.

"Since we first acquired the XFL, we have focused on identifying partners who share our vision and values on and off the field," Garcia said in a statement. "A vision filled with opportunity, innovation and the highest level of entertainment value for the benefit of our athletes, fans and communities. The CFL has expressed that similar sentiment and jointly we recognize a great opportunity to build exciting innovative football experiences that make the most of each league's unique strengths. I look forward to our continued discussions and we will update the sports community as we have more to share."

On October 1, 2020, the newly purchased XFL announced its plans to return to action for the 2022 season. Previously owned by Vince McMahon, the XFL suspended its 2020 season last spring amid issues that stemmed from the COVID-19 pandemic. The league then filed for bankruptcy in April of 2020, only to be purchased by Johnson - a.k.a., 'The Rock,' - in August, alongside RedBird Capital. The purchase cost the group $15 million.

Rumors began to surface shortly after that McMahon was planning to buy the league back at a later date. But in the bankruptcy court's records, obtained by ESPN, McMahon denied he intended the buy back the XFL.

"I don't know why that's out there, making me out to be the bad guy, [that] I'm going to buy the XFL back for pennies on the dollar, basically," McMahon said in the deposition. "That helped me move into the direction of, 'I'm not going to be a bidder, not going to have anything to do with it.' I do hope that someone will pay a lot of money for it, and I do hope that it will survive."

At the time of the league's filing for bankruptcy, the XFL reportedly owed remaining salaries to several coaches and money to others for renting venues last season. According to XFL News Hub, the University of Houston, which hosted the XFL's Houston Roughnecks at TDECU Stadium, was looking to be made whole with more than $800,000 in the pending sale. Houston, in addition to hosting the Roughnecks, was also home to the XFL's training camp ahead of its short-lived 2020 season, and the has the potential to host games once again if the league can be revitalized."

https://247sports.com/Article/XFL-postpones-2022-season-will-discuss-opportunities-with-CFL-Dwayne-Johnson-The-Rock-Vince-McMahon-162147354/

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
Blue In BC

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2021, 05:40:19 PM »

XFL postpones 2022 season, will discuss opportunities with CFL

The XFL's 2022 season has been postponed as the league and its owners - Dany Garcia, Dwayne Johnson and RedBird Capital - have engaged in discussion with the Canadian Football League to discuss opportunities for the two leagues to collaborate, innovate, and grow the game of football, according to a release on Wednesday. Garcia, among others, addressed the situation in a statement provided in the release.

"Since we first acquired the XFL, we have focused on identifying partners who share our vision and values on and off the field," Garcia said in a statement. "A vision filled with opportunity, innovation and the highest level of entertainment value for the benefit of our athletes, fans and communities. The CFL has expressed that similar sentiment and jointly we recognize a great opportunity to build exciting innovative football experiences that make the most of each league's unique strengths. I look forward to our continued discussions and we will update the sports community as we have more to share."

On October 1, 2020, the newly purchased XFL announced its plans to return to action for the 2022 season. Previously owned by Vince McMahon, the XFL suspended its 2020 season last spring amid issues that stemmed from the COVID-19 pandemic. The league then filed for bankruptcy in April of 2020, only to be purchased by Johnson - a.k.a., 'The Rock,' - in August, alongside RedBird Capital. The purchase cost the group $15 million.

Rumors began to surface shortly after that McMahon was planning to buy the league back at a later date. But in the bankruptcy court's records, obtained by ESPN, McMahon denied he intended the buy back the XFL.

"I don't know why that's out there, making me out to be the bad guy, [that] I'm going to buy the XFL back for pennies on the dollar, basically," McMahon said in the deposition. "That helped me move into the direction of, 'I'm not going to be a bidder, not going to have anything to do with it.' I do hope that someone will pay a lot of money for it, and I do hope that it will survive."

At the time of the league's filing for bankruptcy, the XFL reportedly owed remaining salaries to several coaches and money to others for renting venues last season. According to XFL News Hub, the University of Houston, which hosted the XFL's Houston Roughnecks at TDECU Stadium, was looking to be made whole with more than $800,000 in the pending sale. Houston, in addition to hosting the Roughnecks, was also home to the XFL's training camp ahead of its short-lived 2020 season, and the has the potential to host games once again if the league can be revitalized."

https://247sports.com/Article/XFL-postpones-2022-season-will-discuss-opportunities-with-CFL-Dwayne-Johnson-The-Rock-Vince-McMahon-162147354/

Postponing the 2022 season? Gets stranger by the moment.

No more excuses.
Jesse

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2021, 05:42:59 PM »

Postponing the 2022 season? Gets stranger by the moment.

It's still on, but pending discussions with the CFL.

It seems that the XFL, at least, thinks some sort of significant merger or partnership will form.

My wife is amazing!
theaardvark

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2021, 05:59:40 PM »

There are many synergies that can be had between teh leagues, especially cross promoting, with a guy with The Rock's promo power, having played in the CFL himself, it makes the story so much more potent south of the border. 

The XFL being a feeder league to the NFL is a lot harder than being a feeder league to the CFL. 

If XFL salaries are going to be tiny, then playing in the XFL to get a CFL look actually makes some sense, and with more CFL players getting NFL deals, again, stepping stones..

I can see why they are investigating potential working relationships, but if Ambrosie is negotiating as a junior partner, the CFL is doomed.  If the 100 year old plus CFL takes the upstart XFL under its wing, then maybe both can benefit. 

A 9 team XFL?  Maximum one team named RoughRiders Wink ?   Sister our teams with theirs, with opportunities for players and coaches to have some ability to flip/flop if they want, might make some sense...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Blue In BC

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2021, 06:30:21 PM »

There are many synergies that can be had between teh leagues, especially cross promoting, with a guy with The Rock's promo power, having played in the CFL himself, it makes the story so much more potent south of the border. 

The XFL being a feeder league to the NFL is a lot harder than being a feeder league to the CFL. 

If XFL salaries are going to be tiny, then playing in the XFL to get a CFL look actually makes some sense, and with more CFL players getting NFL deals, again, stepping stones..

I can see why they are investigating potential working relationships, but if Ambrosie is negotiating as a junior partner, the CFL is doomed.  If the 100 year old plus CFL takes the upstart XFL under its wing, then maybe both can benefit. 

A 9 team XFL?  Maximum one team named RoughRiders Wink ?   Sister our teams with theirs, with opportunities for players and coaches to have some ability to flip/flop if they want, might make some sense...

Synergies? The XFL has no players, no coaches under contract IIRC. They own money.

No more excuses.
theaardvark

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2021, 06:54:12 PM »

Synergies? The XFL has no players, no coaches under contract IIRC. They own money.

Lol... they have an owner and lots of cash... they own lots of money.  When they want to build their league, who better than the CFL to help them along?

If there was a desire one way or the other to pair with the NFL, it would have been a done deal.  But they don't want Dwayne involved (didn't you see Ballers?)

So, finding some way to take advantage of a 100 year old tradition featuring the best version of the game makes sense for a guy who actually played in the league...

Blue In BC

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2021, 07:00:26 PM »

Lol... they have an owner and lots of cash... they own lots of money.  When they want to build their league, who better than the CFL to help them along?

If there was a desire one way or the other to pair with the NFL, it would have been a done deal.  But they don't want Dwayne involved (didn't you see Ballers?)

So, finding some way to take advantage of a 100 year old tradition featuring the best version of the game makes sense for a guy who actually played in the league...

The XFL folded in 2020 and had an owner with lots of cash. What they didn't have was enough fan interest. Not all previous teams will survive any version of a new XFL.

BTW. Johnson didn't play in the CFL, he was cut in TC so that's a non factor.

The CFL has enough of it's own problems at the moment. I'm thinking less and less of Ambrosie with another change of directions.

All focus should be on ensuring the CFL can play a full season in 2021. We aren't even certain that will happen.

Lots of wishful / fanciful ideas in you're thinking.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 08:07:10 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
theaardvark

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2021, 07:45:10 PM »

The XFL folded in 2019 and had an owner with lots of cash. What they didn't have was enough fan interest. Not all previous teams will survive any version of a new XFL.

BTW. Johnson didn't play in the CFL, he was cut in TC so that's a non factor.

The CFL has enough of it's own problems at the moment. I'm thinking less and less of Ambrosie with another change of directions.

All focus should be on ensuring the CFL can play a full season in 2021. We aren't even certain that will happen.

Lots of wishful / fanciful ideas in you're thinking.

XFL started play in 2020, and shuttered with COVID.  Bankrupted shortly thereafter, because why would anyone keep investing money into it for 3 letters?  McMahon isn't THAT stupid.   Dwayne picked it up for nothing, pretty sure he doesn't take on any of the debt, because they bankrupted and he just bought the rights.  So, he has about as much money as anybody for playing with something like this...

The key difference that is going to be difficult to get past is the CFL's diversity of ownership structures.  Community owned teams, independently owned teams, teams owned by other franchise types... these all make finding a common forward looking plan difficult. Add in a league designed to have one owner for all the teams, not sure how well that is going to work.

I'm surprised Dwayne did not just buy the Lions first, and then start suggesting a collaboration...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18
  Print  

Jump to: