Blue Bombers Forum
June 12, 2021, 07:09:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How much would you pay per game to watch CFL online?  (Read 1856 times)
Jesse

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2021, 05:12:03 PM »

Hold up, you say you would pay $0 then go on to explain you pay for TSN Go to watch CFL games. So what does TSN Go cost?

He's clearly saying he already pays for TSN Go, and is therefore unwilling to spend additional money.

My wife is amazing!
66 Chevelle

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2021, 08:55:01 PM »

can you guys not access ESPN+ via the web in Canada?  I ask because I'm able to access all CFL games here in the states for a mere $5 per month...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
TBURGESS

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2021, 09:46:38 PM »

can you guys not access ESPN+ via the web in Canada?  I ask because I'm able to access all CFL games here in the states for a mere $5 per month...
Not without a VPN and a US credit card.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.
Sec227

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2021, 01:39:32 PM »

Buy a season ticket, which REALLY helps the club. You get access, simple. Then sell bars etc at a premium. I know this isn't the popular thing to do. But league and team needs ALL fans on board today. Games then is "sold out", no black out. Its released to watch.  Cant use cottage or working all the time as excuse not to go to games. Help you team....

And didn't they try a PPV type of things years back. I remember it not working.
BLUEBOMBER

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2021, 06:46:53 AM »

I think the CFL needs to be creative this season.  I believe that there are enough fans that are willing to watch games on TV.  But if TSN is showing them already, I doubt fans will be willing to dish out extra money.  You can't beat free.
theaardvark

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2021, 03:39:01 PM »

Can the league ask for a little bump in TSN payment for pandemic, no fans in stands, games?  The viewership increases at least by the gate numbers... 

Could they make up the "20% paycut with no fans" crap they floated earlier?

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
BlueInCgy

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2021, 04:03:46 PM »

Can the league ask for a little bump in TSN payment for pandemic, no fans in stands, games?  The viewership increases at least by the gate numbers... 

Could they make up the "20% paycut with no fans" crap they floated earlier?

Doubtful.  TSN saw 0 income last year from the CFL (and many other leagues), I doubt they are going to be giving away more money this season (if it happens).  If the CFL asked for more money, TSN could walk away entirely (asking for more compensation is fundamentally renegotiating the contract), which would then bury the league for good.  CFL isn't in the drivers seat in that relationship.
blue_or_die

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2021, 05:17:10 PM »

Doubtful.  TSN saw 0 income last year from the CFL (and many other leagues), I doubt they are going to be giving away more money this season (if it happens).  If the CFL asked for more money, TSN could walk away entirely (asking for more compensation is fundamentally renegotiating the contract), which would then bury the league for good.  CFL isn't in the drivers seat in that relationship.

Did TSN pay the CFL last year to broadcast 0 games?

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
BlueInCgy

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2021, 05:36:24 PM »

Did TSN pay the CFL last year to broadcast 0 games?

My guess would be no, I'm sure there's a force majeure clause somewhere in the contract, which a pandemic would fall under.
blue_or_die

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2021, 08:08:52 PM »

My guess would be no, I'm sure there's a force majeure clause somewhere in the contract, which a pandemic would fall under.

I agree. When I first read your post I thought you were implying that but now that I read again I don't know how I got that lol.

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
TecnoGenius

« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2021, 09:01:54 AM »

The viewership increases at least by the gate numbers... 

Would it though?  I bet I'm not alone in that I PVR every Bomber game I go to, and rewatch the whole game that night/next day.  You would increase live viewers, for sure, but does Nielson/TSN value "live" over "PVR" anymore now that many people time-delay/PVR everything.

But, yes, CFL needs to be creative, that's for sure.  I talked with a hockey-lover / non-CFL-watcher group of friends tonight and they are flabbergasted that us "CFL people" can't figure out how to get the game on the field, pandemic or no.  I tried to explain to them all the great talking points I've gleaned here, and they mostly offered the same ideas we've seen here (PPV, etc).

Hockey(-only) people just can't grok a mostly gate-driven league.  But to a man, they thought it was a bummer if/when the CFL will die due to government-mandated lockdowns.  So the moral support is there.  I bet if you ran a federal referendum, "should the govt give $5 from every taxpayer to the CFL so the CFL won't go extinct in 2021", it would pass.

Never go full Rider!
GCn19

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2021, 05:13:05 PM »

Would it though?  I bet I'm not alone in that I PVR every Bomber game I go to, and rewatch the whole game that night/next day.  You would increase live viewers, for sure, but does Nielson/TSN value "live" over "PVR" anymore now that many people time-delay/PVR everything.

But, yes, CFL needs to be creative, that's for sure.  I talked with a hockey-lover / non-CFL-watcher group of friends tonight and they are flabbergasted that us "CFL people" can't figure out how to get the game on the field, pandemic or no.  I tried to explain to them all the great talking points I've gleaned here, and they mostly offered the same ideas we've seen here (PPV, etc).

Hockey(-only) people just can't grok a mostly gate-driven league.  But to a man, they thought it was a bummer if/when the CFL will die due to government-mandated lockdowns.  So the moral support is there.  I bet if you ran a federal referendum, "should the govt give $5 from every taxpayer to the CFL so the CFL won't go extinct in 2021", it would pass.

I believe you are correct and even if TV rating increased by the gate numbers that would be insignificant. CFL games regularly draw in 400k-800k viewers Canada wide depending on who is playing who. Another 23k (league average attendance) would not make TSN throw any more bucks out to the CFL.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 05:15:29 PM by GCn19 » Logged

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
DarkDays

« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2021, 03:00:49 PM »

Would pay for a cable service similar to NFL SUNDAY TICKET.

$300 - $400 for the season? All games on the tube?  Sign me up.

Alternatively, TSN could blackout games in each home province, and force folks to PPV.  $20 - $30 per home game sounds right.

"I think we're done here." 
                                   - Ross Tucker
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: