Blue Bombers Forum
June 12, 2021, 07:41:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
  Print  
Author Topic: CFL Draft - Top Rated Picks  (Read 3516 times)
TecnoGenius

« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2021, 06:18:09 AM »

Another OL might ride on whether we are able to bring back Speller. If so how do we retain everyone on the OL gets even dicer.

Speller left for TOR.  Done deal.  Ya, I have trouble keeping it all straight too.

If you'd been paying attention, you might have noticed that Andrew Harris is the best tailback in the CFL of the past 5 to 10 years even (and before him it  was Cornish) - clearly better than all/any American backs of the period.

BGW makes a very good point here.  Add in Cahoon at receiver, clearly as good as any IMP.  And I'd also add Sinopoli in CGY and the first 3 years in the RedBlacks.  Canada can produce world-class talent in the CFL.  And that excludes all the great Canadians who get hoovered up permanently by the NFL.

If more young NATs get a chance to start, we might see more of these "greats" emerge.  How many of the greats took a few years to blossom and were lucky to have not been cut?

As for the draft: is Lokombo the other CFL player's brother or something?  My take is grab one of the DL guys as that helps us on day 1.

Never go full Rider!
Blue Guess Who

« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2021, 02:51:58 PM »

Speller left for TOR.  Done deal.  Ya, I have trouble keeping it all straight too.

BGW makes a very good point here.  Add in Cahoon at receiver, clearly as good as any IMP.  And I'd also add Sinopoli in CGY and the first 3 years in the RedBlacks.  Canada can produce world-class talent in the CFL.  And that excludes all the great Canadians who get hoovered up permanently by the NFL.

If more young NATs get a chance to start, we might see more of these "greats" emerge.  How many of the greats took a few years to blossom and were lucky to have not been cut?

As for the draft: is Lokombo the other CFL player's brother or something?  My take is grab one of the DL guys as that helps us on day 1.

Nelson Lokombo (up this draft -  a DB, and former D player of the year in U Sports ball), is the brother of Bo - LB, back with BC now.

D-line would be interesting;  I'd also bet though that one or both of Griffiths or Dheilly could pan-out as quite capable in the rotation on the D-line;  and go with vet Thomas to have one Canadian on the field at D-line at all times - like late last season to get to 7 only.
Blue In BC

« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2021, 03:05:02 PM »

We have the # 3 and # 16 picks which could give a potential starter.

I still have hope that Hallett or Lokombo ( if we draft him ) could start at safety. There are 5 DB's ranked above Lokombo at the moment. While we may gain a top prospect he may not be directly where we need the most support.

We have to wait and see which players don't try their hand in the NFL and what the two teams do at # 1 and #2 draft choices. Not every choice is as obvious as we'd like.

However I'm confidant that our # 3 pick will be a good player. The top 10 are getting some good press reports. Who the Bombers have the most interest in given free choice, I have no idea.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 03:07:34 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
CrazyCanuck89

« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2021, 03:21:29 AM »

We have the # 3 and # 16 picks which could give a potential starter.

I still have hope that Hallett or Lokombo ( if we draft him ) could start at safety. There are 5 DB's ranked above Lokombo at the moment. While we may gain a top prospect he may not be directly where we need the most support.

We have to wait and see which players don't try their hand in the NFL and what the two teams do at # 1 and #2 draft choices. Not every choice is as obvious as we'd like.

However I'm confidant that our # 3 pick will be a good player. The top 10 are getting some good press reports. Who the Bombers have the most interest in given free choice, I have no idea.

It would probably be wise to take Lokombo, they say he can play anywhere in the secondary and SAM Linebacker.  St.Baptiste and Holland will likely get and NFL shot.  Leonard, Addae and Rene are all going back to school and will be in the 2022 NFL draft.
Blue In BC

« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2021, 01:47:22 PM »

It would probably be wise to take Lokombo, they say he can play anywhere in the secondary and SAM Linebacker.  St.Baptiste and Holland will likely get and NFL shot.  Leonard, Addae and Rene are all going back to school and will be in the 2022 NFL draft.

His diversity is valuable and I expect he could be a very good player. However, there are other players ranked higher at other positions which can't be excluded in the thought process.

I'm not suggesting we take a flyer on a candidate with an NFL dream at # 3 but that's still a possibility. Taking a player going back to school happens in the draft all the time so that's a choice too I suppose. Considering we'll have 2 draft classes to debate it's not the worst idea but not one normally done in the 1st round?

There are a couple of receivers and a LB that might be our choice.

I don't think Lokombo will still be there when we pick at # 16.

The draft is a challenge particularly the 1st round. A few of those players will get an NFL tryout and may stick for at least 2021.

The ranking will change a few times before the draft. Teams will make draft choices that seem surprising outside the box. A few top draft choices will be closer to busts while some lower choices a pleasant surprises.

Since we didn't get to see our 2020 draft choices, it's an unusual situation not clearly defining our greatest need.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 02:34:49 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
CrazyCanuck89

« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2021, 03:08:33 PM »

His diversity is valuable and I expect he could be a very good player. However, there are other players ranked higher at other positions which can't be excluded in the thought process.

I'm not suggesting we take a flyer on a candidate with an NFL dream at # 3 but that's still a possibility. Taking a player going back to school happens in the draft all the time so that's a choice too I suppose. Considering we'll have 2 draft classes to debate it's not the worst idea but not one normally done in the 1st round?

There are a couple of receivers and a LB that might be our choice.

I don't think Lokombo will still be there when we pick at # 16.

The draft is a challenge particularly the 1st round. A few of those players will get an NFL tryout and may stick for at least 2021.

The ranking will change a few times before the draft. Teams will make draft choices that seem surprising outside the box. A few top draft choices will be closer to busts while some lower choices a pleasant surprises.

Since we didn't get to see our 2020 draft choices, it's an unusual situation not clearly defining our greatest need.

Of course, the problem with this years draft is guy like Chubba, Amen, Jevon and Alaric are all predicted to be to go in the NFL draft as opposed to just getting a camp tryout or getting signed as a UFDA.  That changes thing big time, because I'm sure CFL teams are more likely to take a chance on an NFL UDFA, rather than an NFL draft pick.  I do think the that the three mentioned above, will drop like Gallimore and Claypool did last year.

It's also different, because this is the first time in a couple of years where we have guys in the draft, who still have NCAA eligibility left.  In the past couple of years NCAA players have entered the CFL after using up their eligibility.  I think the last redshirt juniours were drafted in 2013.

Blue In BC

« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2021, 03:46:57 PM »

Of course, the problem with this years draft is guy like Chubba, Amen, Jevon and Alaric are all predicted to be to go in the NFL draft as opposed to just getting a camp tryout or getting signed as a UFDA.  That changes thing big time, because I'm sure CFL teams are more likely to take a chance on an NFL UDFA, rather than an NFL draft pick.  I do think the that the three mentioned above, will drop like Gallimore and Claypool did last year.

It's also different, because this is the first time in a couple of years where we have guys in the draft, who still have NCAA eligibility left.  In the past couple of years NCAA players have entered the CFL after using up their eligibility.  I think the last redshirt juniours were drafted in 2013.

You're more in tune with the information than I am. So good points about being actual NFL draft choices versus UDFA.  That thins out the top 10 selection choices. Looking at the current rankings that leaves a bunch of OL, DL and a couple of receiver choices in the higher rankings.

I think our preference would be receiver or DB as far as greater need to bolster. If we choose by best player available then that could fall to OL or DL.

We've already got some choices to make with other newbies at those positions. Don't know enough literally about most of these players. Any comment I make is based on expected need and draft ranking.

That said that's not much of a real informed position on my part.

Hearing how the NFL draft goes before ours happens may shed more light. They tend to sign a few UDFA's as well.

No more excuses.
CrazyCanuck89

« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2021, 05:43:57 PM »

You're more in tune with the information than I am. So good points about being actual NFL draft choices versus UDFA.  That thins out the top 10 selection choices. Looking at the current rankings that leaves a bunch of OL, DL and a couple of receiver choices in the higher rankings.

I think our preference would be receiver or DB as far as greater need to bolster. If we choose by best player available then that could fall to OL or DL.

We've already got some choices to make with other newbies at those positions. Don't know enough literally about most of these players. Any comment I make is based on expected need and draft ranking.

That said that's not much of a real informed position on my part.

Hearing how the NFL draft goes before ours happens may shed more light. They tend to sign a few UDFA's as well.

Thats what makes the CFL draft, because their is so many factors go into making the pick. 

I don't know what you guys will do.  Eli and Gray are waiting in the wings for a chance to start.  Both guys are versatile and can probably fill in at any of the five positions.

You have Griffiths and Dheilley on the Dline.  Both have yet to take a snap in a regular season game.  Thomas is still a good rotational DT.

Linebacker maybe a spot that could be taken in round 2. Cross and
Hladik from UBC could still be there.  McDonald from the U of Calgary might also be there.

I think you guys are fine in the receiving corps.  Maybe add another depth guy.

You probably the deepest team at Canadian RB.  Maybe adding a FB/TE in Labelle in the later rounds couldn't hurt.

Like you said, DB maybe you biggest need, especially after losing Exume.
Blue In BC

« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2021, 06:10:20 PM »

After losing Petermann to Ottawa our Canadian depth is a little thin at receiver. We did draft a couple of LB's in 2020 that haven't seen the field yet. That's why I theorized a receiver more than a LB per se.

However my comments were in the context of only the 1st round.

I was sad to lose Exume but have hopes for he Hallett brothers.

Much is needed to be sorted out.

On the DL we hope that Griffiths or Dheilley become capable players. In a perfect world I'd hope that at least 1 of them is more capable of being a full time starter ( an every down type player ).

I'm not trying to diss Thomas. Just tying to say if one of the rookies is " better " that would give us a stronger Canadian presence and as well as a good back up.

At the moment we have a good back up / rotation guy in Thomas but don't know what we have behind him. Few are convinced he should be an every down starter.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 05:04:17 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2021, 02:55:30 AM »

I don't know what you guys will do.

You probably the deepest team at Canadian RB.

You write like you're not a 'pegger or WPG fan?  Usually it's "we".  Not that I'm complaining, I'm just curious.  Other team fans are always welcome here (looking at you catfan!).  We even get 2 SSK fan regulars (in season) -- that takes real guts.  Wink

Never go full Rider!
CrazyCanuck89

« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2021, 02:43:20 PM »

You write like you're not a 'pegger or WPG fan?  Usually it's "we".  Not that I'm complaining, I'm just curious.  Other team fans are always welcome here (looking at you catfan!).  We even get 2 SSK fan regulars (in season) -- that takes real guts.  Wink

That's because I'm a Ti-Cat fan, you look at any teams forum and it's fans from accross the league.
Blue In BC

« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2021, 04:59:28 PM »

The mock draft on CFL.CA shows Bombers picking Lokombo.

Also shows Hamilton picking Joseph at # 1. His brother is F. Ekakatie.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 05:02:06 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2021, 12:49:50 AM »

Mock 1.0: What will Hamilton do with the first overall pick? - Marshall Ferguson CFL.CA

ROUND 1

1. HAMILTON
DANIEL JOSEPH
DE | NC STATE

The brother of former top pick Faith Ekakitie and cousin of Wilfrid Laurier drafted pass rusher Ese Mrabure-Ajufo, Daniel Joseph has the combination of size, speed and raw pass rush ability that you expect in a player worthy of landing near the top of draft boards.

Joseph spent 2020 at NC State after transferring from Penn State and started eight of the eleven games he played while leading the Wolfpack with 6.5 sacks on the year. Here the Ticats solidify depth behind 2020 CFL first round draft pick Mason Bennett. While adding ratio flexibility, make no mistake the play here is for pure talent to place opposite Ja'Gared Davis.

2. SASKATCHEWAN

LOGAN BANDY
OL | CALGARY

Bandy might not reach this high in the draft, but when you are the marquee blocker on a team with as many pro-worthy prospects as the still Vanier Cup-defending champion Calgary Dinos do, I like the odds.

Saskatchewan will dearly miss the absence of Dariusz Bladek, who left in free agency for Toronto, and Dakoda Shepley, who signed with the San Francisco 49ers, unless they target top end talent in this draft. Without another pick until 17th overall, the time and place is here at second overall to take their pass blocker of choice and allow Cody Fajardo to develop comfortably.

3. WINNIPEG

NELSON LOKOMBO
DB | SASKATCHEWAN

Shots Fired! The Bombers steal the Saskatchewan Huskies product after the Riders focus on pass protection and scoop up the 2019 U SPORTS Defensive Player Of The Year. Nelson?s natural CFL fit, despite being slightly undersized, is at free safety. While Winnipeg is predominantly American on the back end, he can earn his reps on special teams alongside the Hallett brothers as Nick and Noah stand alone waving the maple leaf in the Bombers' secondary.

4. BC

DESHAWN STEVENS
LB | MAINE
Deshawn Stevens has the skills and body to be a dynamic linebacker in my opinion. With the Lions going Canadian at a couple ?backer spots, they should take Stevens for special teams as he waits his turn behind 2020 top overall selection Jordan Williams or 2013 draft pick Bo Lokombo and watch the open field tackles rack up.

5. EDMONTON

MOHAMED DIALLO
DT | CENTRAL MICHIGAN
Averaging nearly a sack per game while being named to the all-MAC first team, Diallo is all of six-foot-four, 305 pounds with the ability to play immediately in a suddenly forceful Canadian front line in Edmonton. The line would feature Kwaku Boateng and Mathieu Betts and have Diallo anchoring the middle in a rotation with any American tasked to replace Almondo Sewell.

6. OTTAWA

JOSH PALMER
REC | TENNESSEE
Ottawa has promise with Matt Nichols and Paul LaPolice reuniting, but who will they direct targets towards? Nationals under contract in Ottawa include Anthony Coombs, Marco Dubois, Wesley Lewis, Dan Petermann and, of course, Brad Sinopoli. However, none of these players have the combination of frame, route running, lower body explosion and angry hands that Palmer put on display against top shelf SEC opponents in a pandemic-riddled 2021 Volunteers season.

7. TORONTO

ALARIC JACKSON
OL | IOWA

While free agency is for need, the draft is for value.

Alaric Jackson likely gets his earned look in the NFL as the CFL's Central Scouting Bureau top ranked player, but Toronto is set up to be fully invested in protecting Nick Arbuckle for the foreseeable future. Securing the unique athleticism, movement skills and prototypical size of Jackson as a future hallmark of the Argos protection plan makes a lot of sense.

8. CALGARY

SAGE DOXTATER
OL | NEW MEXICO STATE
The last couple years have been uncharacteristically difficult for the Stamps offensive line health and depth. Unlike many U SPORTS prospects, Sage will have recent reps to be game ready for Calgary as his New Mexico State Aggies recently wrapped up a two game sprint of a spring season to make good on the COVID-ravaged 2020 fall schedule. His feet will need some tidying in the pros to solve balance concerns, but you can't disagree with a motivated and experienced six-foot-seven, 350-pound frame.

9. HAMILTON

PATRICK DAVIS
OL | SYRACUSE
There are higher rated players in this draft at offensive line, but few with centre experience and the ability to swing across all five blocking spots. Versatility is the key with this pick after Hamilton reportedly won?t have longtime rock Mike Filer snapping to Jeremiah Masoli or Dane Evans in 2021.

Second Round on the Mock 1.0 Draft is here!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2021, 02:33:51 AM by ModAdmin » Logged

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
Blue In BC

« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2021, 03:56:21 PM »

Announced to happen on May 4th. We have # 3, # 16 and # 21 in the first 3 rounds.  Should be some good players available for us to take.

I wonder who.

No more excuses.
Pigskin

« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2021, 05:04:36 PM »

Lokombo would be a nice pick, but at #3??? I think the Bombers will go with Amen Ogbongbemiga, or Joseph, if they can wait a year or two.  Stevens, or Diallo at #3 if there looking for right now.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
  Print  

Jump to: