Blue Bombers Forum
September 23, 2021, 02:05:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 35
  Print  
Author Topic: Blue Bombers roster - 2020-2021  (Read 37799 times)
Blue In BC

« Reply #360 on: July 21, 2021, 02:58:54 PM »

BLUE BOMBERS TRANSACTIONS

WINNIPEG, MB., July 21, 2021 ? The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the following roster transactions:

Released from roster:
American receiver Quadree Henderson

He was one of the 5'8" guys that I would have thought to be more in look see as a returner. Not really expecting anyone to win that role away from Grant but you have to look at new faces.

Final cuts on July 30th so we may see a few more dropped before then.  That will sort out those left fighting for PR spots.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 03:07:08 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

2019 Grey Cup Champions
NewBlue

« Reply #361 on: July 21, 2021, 04:55:22 PM »

He was one of the 5'8" guys that I would have thought to be more in look see as a returner. Not really expecting anyone to win that role away from Grant but you have to look at new faces.

Final cuts on July 30th so we may see a few more dropped before then.  That will sort out those left fighting for PR spots.

Even Grant's role is in question as Nelson could easily replace him. Not sure if we'd keep them both on AR, and might be hard to convince either to accept a PR spot.
the paw

« Reply #362 on: July 21, 2021, 05:09:14 PM »

Even Grant's role is in question as Nelson could easily replace him. Not sure if we'd keep them both on AR, and might be hard to convince either to accept a PR spot.

I'm not sure how you reach that conclusion.  Nelson has accomplished exactly nothing in 2 years with the organization.  He is one of those guys with perpetual potential that break your heart. 

Grant's punt return and kick return averages for 2019 were both above Nelson's averages in a limited sample.  It's Grant's job now, and Nelson is going to have to do something significant to take it from him. Barring injury to Grant, I don't see how that happens.  Some think Nelson will make a bid to be the 5th starting receiver, but he has 4 receptions in 2 years and is 5'8" tall.  I would be shocked if he makes it as an everydown receiver. 

grab grass 'n growl
NewBlue

« Reply #363 on: July 21, 2021, 05:19:21 PM »

I'm not sure how you reach that conclusion.  Nelson has accomplished exactly nothing in 2 years with the organization.  He is one of those guys with perpetual potential that break your heart. 

Grant's punt return and kick return averages for 2019 were both above Nelson's averages in a limited sample.  It's Grant's job now, and Nelson is going to have to do something significant to take it from him. Barring injury to Grant, I don't see how that happens.  Some think Nelson will make a bid to be the 5th starting receiver, but he has 4 receptions in 2 years and is 5'8" tall.  I would be shocked if he makes it as an everydown receiver. 

Grant did great in the returner role, but I think any of our 3 including Whitehead all showed promise. I just don't think Grant has the role set in stone.  As for the 5th receiver, alot of those plays will be fancy plays in the backfield like what Demski does & I think whoever the returner is can line up in that role.
Pretty sure we often had 2 out of the 3 mentioned dressed, but did we ever have all 3?
the paw

« Reply #364 on: July 21, 2021, 07:10:39 PM »

Grant did great in the returner role, but I think any of our 3 including Whitehead all showed promise. I just don't think Grant has the role set in stone.  As for the 5th receiver, alot of those plays will be fancy plays in the backfield like what Demski does & I think whoever the returner is can line up in that role.
Pretty sure we often had 2 out of the 3 mentioned dressed, but did we ever have all 3?

Well, I agree that Grant, Whitehead and Nelson all showed good promise as returners.  Lucky seemed to be the most viable candidate to be a full time receiver, but after half a year of opportunities, he never really showed anything other than the sweep and the short screen pass on a consistent basis.  In fact, if Lucky had shown a little less promise as a receiver, he might have been relegated to strictly a returner, and Grant may not have gotten his shot.  But it happened the way it happened, and i think the onus will be on someone to unseat Grant, the team has to be very pleased with him as a returner.

In terms of the 5th receiver, Nelson might have a shot, I certainly haven't seen him in camp to say differently.  I think they want someone taller than 5'8", but we have seen enough of Weston Dressler to know that height isn't the final word.  I think Nelson has to beat out Rasheed Bailey as the incumbent, but he also has to contend with some more conventionally sized WR types like Meredith and Adarius Stewart.  I don't like his chances, but it bears watching.  I don't think Rasheed Bailey has the same type of job security as Janarion Grant.  All of this is strictly opinion of course, and I am wrong about players at least as often as I am right....

grab grass 'n growl
Blue In BC

« Reply #365 on: July 21, 2021, 09:04:39 PM »

Well, I agree that Grant, Whitehead and Nelson all showed good promise as returners.  Lucky seemed to be the most viable candidate to be a full time receiver, but after half a year of opportunities, he never really showed anything other than the sweep and the short screen pass on a consistent basis.  In fact, if Lucky had shown a little less promise as a receiver, he might have been relegated to strictly a returner, and Grant may not have gotten his shot.  But it happened the way it happened, and i think the onus will be on someone to unseat Grant, the team has to be very pleased with him as a returner.

In terms of the 5th receiver, Nelson might have a shot, I certainly haven't seen him in camp to say differently.  I think they want someone taller than 5'8", but we have seen enough of Weston Dressler to know that height isn't the final word.  I think Nelson has to beat out Rasheed Bailey as the incumbent, but he also has to contend with some more conventionally sized WR types like Meredith and Adarius Stewart.  I don't like his chances, but it bears watching.  I don't think Rasheed Bailey has the same type of job security as Janarion Grant.  All of this is strictly opinion of course, and I am wrong about players at least as often as I am right....

I think Bailey is at risk of being displaced. He's a good receiver but we have several receivers trying to win a role with the team. Adams and Lawler are locks on the roster.

I don't think Nelson wins a role as a starting receiver and I'm not convinced we have room for 2 returner / receivers as DI's.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
gobombersgo
Global Moderator

« Reply #366 on: July 22, 2021, 12:54:49 PM »

Darrin Bauming   @DarrinBauming
The #Bombers have released American DB Christian Angulo.

Winnipeg was impressed with his on-field ability, but he appeared to injure his knee on Tuesday which might have factored into the roster decision.

kkc60

« Reply #367 on: July 22, 2021, 02:22:58 PM »

Darrin Bauming   @DarrinBauming
The #Bombers have released American DB Christian Angulo.

Winnipeg was impressed with his on-field ability, but he appeared to injure his knee on Tuesday which might have factored into the roster decision.
If he looked good, I hope there's a side deal for him to come back.
Blue In BC

« Reply #368 on: July 22, 2021, 02:55:53 PM »

If he looked good, I hope there's a side deal for him to come back.

That happens sometimes but I wouldn't expect it this season. Shorter season and an above average number of DB's still in camp. Expanded PR.

Looking good is a matter of degree. I wouldn't think any player brought in would look bad per se. It's a question of whether a given player is looking better than others and his versatility.

Technically we didn't need to release him today and could have done that on July 30th. At that point he could have been put on the PR if injury was minor.

We'll see if we add any new bodies to TC for a look. So many DB's left to evaluate I wouldn't expect it.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 03:02:59 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

2019 Grey Cup Champions
Tiger

« Reply #369 on: July 23, 2021, 03:26:50 AM »

The following is the list of players that asked to be released when the CFL season was cancelled. Most of them were rookies so we will see some of them added back onto the roster at some point.

2020-09-03   WPG   DEAN, Jhavonte   DB   A   Miami   Delete From Active   Free Agent
2020-09-03   WPG   CALDWELL, Joshua   RB   N   Northwest Missouri State   Delete From Active   Free Agent
2020-09-03   WPG   GRANT, Doran   DB   A   Ohio State   Delete From Active   Free Agent
2020-09-03   WPG   CROCKETT, Montay   WR   A   Georgia Southern   Delete From Active   Free Agent
2020-09-03   WPG   WILLIAMS, Raekwon   DB   N   Florida Atlantic   Delete From Active   Free Agent
2020-09-03   WPG   WILLIAMS, James   RB   N   Washington State   Delete From Active   Free Agent
2020-09-03   WPG   ULIZIO, Nolan   OL   A   Pittsburgh   Delete From Active   Free Agent
2020-09-01   WPG   ROCQUEMORE, Jontrell   LB   N   Utah State   Delete From Active   Free Agent
2020-08-31   WPG   MASTON, Mercy   LB   A   Boise State   Delete From Active   Free Agent
2020-08-31   WPG   GRANT, Janarion   WR   A   Rutgers   Delete From Active   Free Agent
2020-08-28   WPG   RINGO, Christian   DL   A   Louisiana At Lafayette   Delete From Active   Free Agent
2020-08-27   WPG   DURAL, Travin   WR   N   Louisiana State   Delete From Active   Free Agent
2020-08-27   WPG   JOHNSON, Isaiah   DB   N   South Carolina   Delete From Active   Free Agent
2020-08-27   WPG   HANSEN, Thiadric   LB   A      Delete From Active   Free Agent
2020-08-27   WPG   LAWLER, Kenny   WR   A   California   Delete From Active   Free Agent
2020-08-26   WPG   TEXADA, Ranthony   DB   A   Texas Christian   Delete From Active   Free Agent
2020-08-26   WPG   LEWIS, Malcolm   WR   N   Miami   Delete From Active   Free Agent
2020-08-26   WPG   KENNEY, David   DL   N   Indiana   Delete From Active   Free Agent
2020-08-26   WPG   DORLEANT, Makinton   DB   A   Northern Iowa   Delete From Active   Free Agent
2020-08-26   WPG   ALEXANDER, Deontez   WR   N      Delete From Active   Free Agent

WR Kenny Lawler, WR/KR Janarion Grant, DL Thiadric Hansen and DB Mercy Maston are able to sign with other CFL teams starting Feb 9th.

Interesting. Thanks

Football is easy if you're crazy as hell
 Bo Jackson

We are inclined to think that if we watch a football game or a baseball game, we have taken part in it
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

BC Sucks
Tiger
gobombersgo
Global Moderator

« Reply #370 on: July 24, 2021, 11:41:06 AM »

Blue Bombers sign Canadian linebacker Nakas Onyeka
July 24, 2021  By John Hodge

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers have signed Canadian linebacker Nakas Onyeka.

Onyeka signed with the Riders in May 2020 but was released this past week.

The Brampton native was selected in the fifth round of the 2017 CFL Draft by the Toronto Argonauts and helped the club win the Grey Cup in his rookie year.

He has recorded 44 tackles, two sacks and one forced fumble in 36 career CFL games.

https://3downnation.com/2021/07/24/blue-bombers-sign-canadian-linebacker-nakas-onyeka/

kkc60

« Reply #371 on: July 24, 2021, 03:14:22 PM »

Blue Bombers sign Canadian linebacker Nakas Onyeka
July 24, 2021  By John Hodge

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers have signed Canadian linebacker Nakas Onyeka.

Onyeka signed with the Riders in May 2020 but was released this past week.

The Brampton native was selected in the fifth round of the 2017 CFL Draft by the Toronto Argonauts and helped the club win the Grey Cup in his rookie year.

He has recorded 44 tackles, two sacks and one forced fumble in 36 career CFL games.

https://3downnation.com/2021/07/24/blue-bombers-sign-canadian-linebacker-nakas-onyeka/
Figured we'd bring in another Canadian LB for STs depth
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« Reply #372 on: July 24, 2021, 06:41:08 PM »

Blue Bombers Transactions - July 24, 2021

WINNIPEG, MB., July 24, 2021 - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the following roster transactions:

Released from roster:

National receiver Macho Bockru

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
Pigskin

« Reply #373 on: July 24, 2021, 09:08:03 PM »

Would like to here how BOO71 is doing. Mr. Orange came in with some high hopes that he could replace Petermann.

Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.
Horseman

« Reply #374 on: July 26, 2021, 03:42:41 PM »

Naaman Roosevelt (33 y.o.) was just released by Mtl, do you think he would be worth a look, I remember him being fairly good.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 35
  Print  

Jump to: