Blue Bombers Forum
September 23, 2021, 12:47:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 35
  Print  
Author Topic: Blue Bombers roster - 2020-2021  (Read 37717 times)
ichabod_crane

« Reply #315 on: July 07, 2021, 09:16:54 PM »

Even if the XFL were to play next year (which they are not now) or the vaporware USFL, he could get a one year/season contract and leave via free agency or have a gentleman's agreement with Kyle Walters to be released if he gets an XFL or NFL offer in the off season. Many players have done this in the past. He needs film and reps to progress and get known anywhere. Working out or showing up at try-out camps is not like showing off in actual game action.
Blue In BC

« Reply #316 on: July 07, 2021, 10:02:30 PM »

We don't know with certainty that McKay isn't coming to TC. It was just speculation on my part that not assigning a number to a player might be an indication.

I hope he's coming to TC. Sunday we'll know one way or the other.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
gobombersgo
Global Moderator

« Reply #317 on: July 08, 2021, 08:35:09 AM »

We don't know with certainty that McKay isn't coming to TC. It was just speculation on my part that not assigning a number to a player might be an indication.

I hope he's coming to TC. Sunday we'll know one way or the other.

The rosters are to be sent out to the media on Friday. Guys like Darrin Bauming or Jeff Hamilton will probably tweet out a copy.

Blue In BC

« Reply #318 on: July 08, 2021, 12:53:45 PM »

The rosters are to be sent out to the media on Friday. Guys like Darrin Bauming or Jeff Hamilton will probably tweet out a copy.

Good but that doesn't mean we don't hear some news around the CFL today either. Most teams have been quite active with sweeping changes.

None or less news at this point is probably a good thing. I mean if a significant player wasn't showing up for the season it would have shown up on media somewhere by now?

My expectation is we're only going to lose some CFL rookies that we probably wanted to see. That's unfortunate because they may have been higher perceived prospects than others. One door closes and another opens so to speak.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 02:17:41 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

2019 Grey Cup Champions
gobombersgo
Global Moderator

« Reply #319 on: July 08, 2021, 07:23:51 PM »

CFL  @CFL.
@Wpg_BlueBombers hoping for a repeat this December.

Off-Season Depth Chart

https://www.cfl.ca/2021/07/08/looking-bombers-hoping-go-back-back/

Blue In BC

« Reply #320 on: July 08, 2021, 07:27:26 PM »

CFL  @CFL.

Off-Season Depth Chart

Can you create a sticky for the depth chart as it's updated during TC?

2019 Grey Cup Champions
Horseman

« Reply #321 on: July 08, 2021, 08:02:00 PM »

CFL  @CFL.

Off-Season Depth Chart

I don't see Cam Meredith listed on the depth chart.
gobombersgo
Global Moderator

« Reply #322 on: July 08, 2021, 09:09:46 PM »

I don't see Cam Meredith listed on the depth chart.

Looks like the depth chart was created a few days ago. The 4 signings since July 2 aren't listed (Meredith wasn't officially signed until July 5th).

gobombersgo
Global Moderator

« Reply #323 on: July 08, 2021, 09:23:10 PM »

10 NEWCOMERS TO WATCH
JULY 8, 2021 - Ed Tait

There are no betting lines for something like this, but if there were, the odds would be long.

Every Canadian Football League team undergoes change from one year to the next, what with retirements, trades and free agent additions/subtractions. Couple that with a condensed schedule coming at the cost of preseason games and chances are many teams will lean on their veterans in 2021.

And the Winnipeg Blue Bombers are no exception.

That means it will be difficult for many of the new faces in camp to make an instant first impression and be on the roster for opening night, let alone in the starting lineup. Still, as per usual, there are some very intriguing newcomers who will take the field this weekend with the opening of training camp. Here are 10 - in no particular order - worth tracking:

WR Cam Meredith, #81: He has 31 games of NFL experience to his name, including a sensational 2016 season in which he had 66 catches for 888 yards and four TDs in 14 games. If the knee injury that he suffered in 2017 is in his rearview mirror, the Bombers could be adding another big-play threat.

K Marc Liegghio, #13: He's got a live leg and great credentials from his days at Western. He's also got a gig waiting for him with the retirement of future hall of famer Justin Medlock. Tough cleats to fill.

DB Deatrick Nichols, #42: Spent some time with the Miami Dolphins last year after leading the XFL with three interceptions before the league ceased operations. There are a couple openings for starters in the secondary and he's a legit candidate.

DT Cedric Wilcots II, #97: He's a pile pusher who starred at New Mexico State before being spotted by the Bombers at the 2020 College Gridiron Showcase. The Bombers are stacked on the D-line, but that never stops scouts from searching.

OL Terry Poole
: The Bombers start two import tackles in Stanley Bryant and Jermarcus Hardrick and in Poole have added a mammoth man - 6-5, 325 pounds - who has experience in the XFL and the AAF after being a fourth-round draft pick of the Seattle Seahawks in 2015.

DB Redha Kramdi, #43: There are jobs to be won right out of the gate on special teams, especially with the Bombers turning over some of their Canadian content on those units. The club selected Kramdi in the second round, 16th overall, in 2021 and love his defensive versatility.

LB Otha Peters, Jr., #50: Has some NFL experience with Seattle, Washington and Kansas City. Going to be tough to unseat Adam Bighill or Kyrie Wilson, but Bombers brass is intrigued by Peters, Jr.

WR Carlton Agudosi, #86: Another receiving prospect with pro experience - Agudosi has had NFL looks from Arizona and Philadelphia and then with the St. Louis Battlehawks. A big target at 6-6, 220.

LB Les Maruo, #54: The Bombers' first pick in the CFL's 2021 Global Draft, Maruo is Japanese-born/American-raised and played his college ball at the University of Texas-San Antonio.

DL Casey Sayles, #90: Another player with extensive pro experience in the XFL, the Alliance of American Football and also had a look from the Los Angeles Rams as an undrafted free agent. He was last with the Battlehawks in the XFL, registering a sack and 8.5 tackles in five games.

https://www.bluebombers.com/2021/07/08/10-newcomers-watch/

gobombersgo
Global Moderator

« Reply #324 on: July 09, 2021, 07:03:50 PM »

BLUE BOMBERS TRANSACTIONS

WINNIPEG, MB., July 9, 2021 - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the following roster transactions:

Added to roster:

American defensive back David Rivers (6-0, 185, Youngstown, July 23, 1994)
American defensive back Hakeem Bailey (6-0, 190, West Virginia, March 29, 1997)
American linebacker Khaylan Kearse-Thomas (6-1, 225, Arizona State, February 7, 1997)

Released from roster:
American defensive lineman Royce LaFrance

Transferred to retired list:
American defensive end Patrick Choujda

Transferred to suspended list:
National defensive lineman Connor Griffiths
American defensive back Dexter McDougle
American linebacker Mason Moe
American receiver MeKale McKay
American running back James Williams
American running back Josh Caldwell
American defensive end Vontarrius Dora
American defensive back Marwin Evans
American receiver Malcolm Lewis

Blue Bombers suspend nine on eve of training camp, including former third-round pick Connor Griffiths
July 9, 2021  By John Hodge

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers made a flurry of transactions on Friday fewer than 24 hours ahead of the start of training camp.

American linebacker Khaylan Kearse-Thomas was signed along with American defensive backs David Rivers and Hakeem Bailey.

Defensive end Royce LaFrance, who dressed for the Saskatchewan Roughriders in 2017, was released, while defensive end Patrick Choujda, who played for the Calgary Stampeders in 2019, was moved to the retired list.

Nine players were also moved to the suspended list, eight of whom are American rookies - running backs James Williams and Josh Caldwell, receivers Malcolm Lewis and Mekale McKay, defensive lineman Vontarrius Dora, linebacker Mason Moe, and defensive backs Dexter McDougle and Marwin Evans.

The most notable suspended player is national defensive tackle Connor Griffiths.

Griffiths was a third-round pick in the 2019 CFL Draft out of UBC. He spent his rookie season on the practice roster and was pencilled-in as the second-string nose tackle behind incumbent starter Jake Thomas. His absence could prove costly, though former first-round pick Jonathan Kongbo has experience playing along the interior.

A spokesperson for the Blue Bombers informed 3DownNation that Griffiths has elected to move on from football.

https://3downnation.com/2021/07/09/blue-bombers-suspend-nine-on-eve-of-training-camp-including-former-third-round-pick-connor-griffiths/

Transactions:
2021-07-10   WPG   MOE, Mason   LB   N      Transfer To   Suspended
2021-07-10   WPG   CHOUDJA, Patrick   DL   A   Nevada   Transfer To   Retired
2021-07-10   WPG   WILLIAMS, James   RB   N   Washington State   Transfer To   Suspended
2021-07-10   WPG   MCKAY, Mekale   WR   A   Cincinnati   Transfer To   Suspended
2021-07-10   WPG   MCDOUGLE, Dexter   DB   N   Maryland   Transfer To   Suspended
2021-07-10   WPG   LEWIS, Malcolm   WR   N   Miami   Transfer To   Suspended
2021-07-10   WPG   GRIFFITHS, Connor   DL   N   UBC   Transfer To   Suspended
2021-07-10   WPG   EVANS, Marwin   DB   A   Utah State   Transfer To   Suspended
2021-07-10   WPG   DORA, Vontarrius   DL   A   Louisiana Tech   Transfer To   Suspended
2021-07-10   WPG   CALDWELL, Joshua   RB   N   Northwest Missouri State   Transfer To   Suspended
2021-07-05   WPG   MEREDITH, Cameron   WR   A   Illinois State   Add To   Active Roster
2021-07-02   WPG   RIVERS, David   DB   A   Youngstown State   Add To   Active Roster
2021-07-02   WPG   BAILEY, Hakeem   DB   A   West Virginia   Add To   Active Roster
2021-07-02   WPG   KEARSE-THOMAS, Khaylan   LB   A   Arizona State   Add To   Active Roster
« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 11:33:41 PM by gobombersgo » Logged

Blue In BC

« Reply #325 on: July 09, 2021, 07:10:20 PM »

I think that makes a very positive statement about Bomber management. The veterans decided not to opt out. A few of those players not returning were signed late 2019 or early 2020.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #326 on: July 09, 2021, 07:18:56 PM »

OL Terry Poole, if this big boy has quick feet and can adapt to the CDN game could be good!

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
Blue In BC

« Reply #327 on: July 09, 2021, 09:15:03 PM »

OL Terry Poole, if this big boy has quick feet and can adapt to the CDN game could be good!

We need both an injury plan and a succession plan. Bryant and Hardrick could continue to play beyond this season in Winnipeg. OTOH both are potential free agents, higher SMS players and not immune to considering retirement. After the Bombers win their consecutive Grey Cup this season we might lose one or both. Smiley

Barring injury in TC to starters, I'd think we see at least 1 rookie OL on the PR. We have the option to increase the PR roster by 5 due to new protocols so we might see 2 on the PR.

I count 6 rookie import OL fighting to make an impression. Let's see who stands out in the early days of TC.

I haven't heard exactly when official roster reductions will start in TC. Have to think 100 players for an extended duration is not workable. My expectation would be some quick departures as the dust settles. Then the real competition will begin.

Just a guess but probably 6 or so players gone in the 1st week. Either failing medical, quick limiting injury and conditioning issues. There are always a few of those.

As I've said a few times, I think a few DB's will depart among the 1st casualties.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2021, 10:46:37 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

2019 Grey Cup Champions
gobombersgo
Global Moderator

« Reply #328 on: July 11, 2021, 05:08:38 PM »

5 Quick Hits on Day 2 of Blue Bombers training camp:

2. CAMP NUMBERS: There are now 99 players in camp, after Sunday's release of DL Anree Saint-Amour.
The numbers, by position:
QB: 4
RB: 4
FB: 1
Rec: 21
OL: 14
DL: 14
LB: 12
DB: 27
K: 1
LS: 1

https://www.bluebombers.com/2021/07/10/quick-hits-tc-july-10-2021/

pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #329 on: July 11, 2021, 10:39:58 PM »

We need both an injury plan and a succession plan. Bryant and Hardrick could continue to play beyond this season in Winnipeg. OTOH both are potential free agents, higher SMS players and not immune to considering retirement. After the Bombers win their consecutive Grey Cup this season we might lose one or both. Smiley

Barring injury in TC to starters, I'd think we see at least 1 rookie OL on the PR. We have the option to increase the PR roster by 5 due to new protocols so we might see 2 on the PR.

I count 6 rookie import OL fighting to make an impression. Let's see who stands out in the early days of TC.

I haven't heard exactly when official roster reductions will start in TC. Have to think 100 players for an extended duration is not workable. My expectation would be some quick departures as the dust settles. Then the real competition will begin.

Just a guess but probably 6 or so players gone in the 1st week. Either failing medical, quick limiting injury and conditioning issues. There are always a few of those.

As I've said a few times, I think a few DB's will depart among the 1st casualties.

Can't argue with anything presented here.  Always need fresh hogs in development! Key to any club.

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 35
  Print  

Jump to: