Blue Bombers Forum
September 27, 2021, 02:47:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 35
  Print  
Author Topic: Blue Bombers roster - 2020-2021  (Read 38248 times)
gobombersgo
Global Moderator

« Reply #240 on: May 27, 2021, 06:13:08 AM »

Blue Bombers Transactions - May 26, 2021

WINNIPEG, MB., May 26, 2021 - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the following roster transactions:

Added to roster: Global (Great Britain) linebacker Ayo Oyelola.

gobombersgo
Global Moderator

« Reply #241 on: June 03, 2021, 12:49:55 AM »

Blue Bombers Transactions

WINNIPEG, MB., June 1, 2021 - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the following roster transactions:

Released from roster: American defensive end Alex McCalister

gobombersgo
Global Moderator

« Reply #242 on: June 07, 2021, 09:36:54 PM »

BLUE BOMBERS SIGN DEFENSIVE END JONATHAN KONGBO

WINNIPEG, MB., June 7, 2021 - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the club has signed free agent defensive end Jonathan Kongbo to a one-year contract.

Kongbo
was originally selected fifth overall by Winnipeg in the 2019 CFL Draft. He went on to play 12 games during that Grey Cup winning season, recording 12 defensive tackles and one sack. Kongbo was released following the season to allow him to sign with the San Francisco 49ers.

Kongbo spent three seasons collegiately at Tennessee prior to be drafted by Winnipeg, seeing action in 30 games with 17 starts, and recording 51 tackles, 5.5 tackles for loss, 3.5 sacks, and two interceptions.

https://www.bluebombers.com/2021/06/07/blue-bombers-sign-defensive-end-jonathan-kongbo/

Blue In BC

« Reply #243 on: June 08, 2021, 03:12:49 PM »

Rhetorical statement: Adding Kongbo is an excellent happening. It puts us in a good position of riches with Canadian talent.

I'm not sure what this will mean with all the draft choices that are coming to TC. Adding Kongbo just filled 1 roster spot that was available a few days ago. It may change where the focus shifts on which player / position is more important as depth on the AR.

While unlikely it may even put us in a situation where we might want or need to trade a rookie or two?

By my rough count expectation I'm up to 20 or 21 Canadians making the game day roster already. That includes Hallett, Benson, Liegghio, O'Leary-Orange and Kramdi as new to the team from 2019.

TC is going to be a dog fight.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2021, 06:13:34 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

2019 Grey Cup Champions
Blue In BC

« Reply #244 on: June 08, 2021, 03:39:25 PM »

LOL. All of the Elks draft choices are showing as drafted by every CFL team over on CFL.CA

2019 Grey Cup Champions
gobombersgo
Global Moderator

« Reply #245 on: June 11, 2021, 06:44:17 AM »

David William Naylor   @TSNDaveNaylor

The @CFL has scheduled a board of governors call for Monday, June 14th, during which its expected there will be a vote on the proposed Aug 5th start to the 2021 season. If approved, schedule release would come immediately afterward. #CFL

Getting questions about what happens if the June 14th vote to begin Aug 5th is not unanimous. That is unclear as these are unprecedented times. #CFL

A committee representing 7 Ontario pro teams (MLSE's 4, Jays, Ticats, Redblacks), submitted proposal last week seeking up to 35 % of stadium capacity open for Ontario's stage 2 reopening and up to 100 % for stage 3. Stage 2 could be early as July 2. Stage 3 as early as July 23rd.

Committee was put together by Lisa MacLeod, Ontario's minister of Heritage, Sport and Tourism. And fronted by Nick Eaves, MLSE's chief venues and operations officer.

I'm led to believe there are no vaccine requirements in the proposal to open-up pro sports facilities to fans in Ontario's stage 2 and stage 3 reopenings, submitted by committee representing 7 pro franchises.

Farhan Lalji   @FarhanLaljiTSN

CFLPA has passed amendments for the 2021 season to the current CBA. The BOG will need to vote and ratify on Monday.
@CFLonTSN

Hearing some details on the amended CBA ratified by the CFLPA for 2021 season: There will be no pre-season. Teams will be allowed to expand practice rosters by 5 as long as border/quarantine remains. Roster reduced from 46 to max of 44. 1 global player per team, 2 QB's. 1/2 #CFL

Interesting ... CFL may add 2 teams to playoff formula. I'm assuming that would be in event league is unable to start Aug 5th and regular season becomes reduced. But that's just my guess.

Also hearing 35 per cent of a stadium's capacity must be open to fans in order to stage a game. #CFL

Do not expect @cfl to have official assurances on exact % of fans in stands from any province. They will need to feel confident on Monday about where the numbers are headed & background conversations they've had with provincial health officials when voting.
@CFLonTSN

Solomon Elimimian   @SolomonE56

To all the players and fans MOA for the 2021 season is signed! We are close to getting back on the field. Tweet your fav #CFL team to vote yes to play! @CFLPA @CFL

Clarification on 35 per cent of stadiums open: the league commits to play a minimum of 10 games as long as 35 per cent of stadiums are open. It could still opt to play with less than 35 per cent. All this likely moot if there's a YES vote on Monday to play a 14-game sked. #CFL

Talking to a few team officials in the past couple of hours, I would be VERY surprised if we didn't get a yes vote on Monday.
@CFL   @CFLonTSN
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 06:53:44 AM by gobombersgo » Logged

GCn19

« Reply #246 on: June 11, 2021, 11:26:10 AM »

The @CFL has scheduled a board of governors call for Monday, June 14th, during which its expected there will be a vote on the proposed Aug 5th start to the 2021 season. If approved, schedule release would come immediately afterward. #CFL

Getting questions about what happens if the June 14th vote to begin Aug 5th is not unanimous. That is unclear as these are unprecedented times. #CFL

A committee representing 7 Ontario pro teams (MLSE's 4, Jays, Ticats, Redblacks), submitted proposal last week seeking up to 35 % of stadium capacity open for Ontario's stage 2 reopening and up to 100 % for stage 3. Stage 2 could be early as July 2. Stage 3 as early as July 23rd.

Committee was put together by Lisa MacLeod, Ontario's minister of Heritage, Sport and Tourism. And fronted by Nick Eaves, MLSE's chief venues and operations officer.

I'm led to believe there are no vaccine requirements in the proposal to open-up pro sports facilities to fans in Ontario's stage 2 and stage 3 reopenings, submitted by committee representing 7 pro franchises.

CFLPA has passed amendments for the 2021 season to the current CBA. The BOG will need to vote and ratify on Monday.
@CFLonTSN

Hearing some details on the amended CBA ratified by the CFLPA for 2021 season: There will be no pre-season. Teams will be allowed to expand practice rosters by 5 as long as border/quarantine remains. Roster reduced from 46 to max of 44. 1 global player per team, 2 QB's. 1/2 #CFL

Interesting ... CFL may add 2 teams to playoff formula. I'm assuming that would be in event league is unable to start Aug 5th and regular season becomes reduced. But that's just my guess.

Also hearing 35 per cent of a stadium's capacity must be open to fans in order to stage a game. #CFL

Do not expect @cfl to have official assurances on exact % of fans in stands from any province. They will need to feel confident on Monday about where the numbers are headed & background conversations they've had with provincial health officials when voting.
@CFLonTSN

Solomon Elimimian   @SolomonE56

To all the players and fans MOA for the 2021 season is signed! We are close to getting back on the field. Tweet your fav #CFL team to vote yes to play! @CFLPA @CFL

Clarification on 35 per cent of stadiums open: the league commits to play a minimum of 10 games as long as 35 per cent of stadiums are open. It could still opt to play with less than 35 per cent. All this likely moot if there's a YES vote on Monday to play a 14-game sked. #CFL

Talking to a few team officials in the past couple of hours, I would be VERY surprised if we didn't get a yes vote on Monday.
@CFL   @CFLonTSN

This, along with the reopening plan yesterday, are all very encouraging news for Bomber fans.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
Blue In BC

« Reply #247 on: June 11, 2021, 12:34:11 PM »

A combination of both good and bad news.

Good news: Looks like we'll get a season.

Bad news:

1. No pre season games. That's going to make it difficult to assess new players. We have 104 ( 65 rookies ) players IIRC. It also means a 14 game season reduced from 20 normally. That would have included pre season games. Further disappointment,
2. Roster reduction from 46 to 44 players. Cost savings plan I suppose.
3. Only 1 global player on the roster.
4. Possible addition of adding 2 more teams to the playoffs. That might just happen if the season is reduced to less than 14 games. Not something I'd like to see happening although it adds 1 or 2 more games at the end of the season.

While the PR is being expanded in theory we'll have the most Canadian and Global draft picks coming to TC in 2021. About 18 in total?  No room in the inn for many young players. Border restrictions likely will go away before the beginning and certainly the end of TC. So I doubt we see that increase of players on PR happen.

I was never a fan of the Global player thought process. Regardless of whether teams do or don't find new talent, Global players are essentially just DI's. How is that creating exposure in the rest of the world?

I guess we'll see how many stick around after being released and asked to stay on the PR. What was the point of the Global draft this year?

I wonder if we hear anything about XFL talks?

« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 02:53:17 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

2019 Grey Cup Champions
TBURGESS

« Reply #248 on: June 11, 2021, 01:28:07 PM »

No vaccine requirements? Yikes!
No preseason games? Yuck!
8 teams out of 9 make the playoffs? Why?
A yes vote on Monday, doesn't mean a 14 game season. Could still be as low as 10.
CFL football on the horizon? Priceless.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.
DM83

« Reply #249 on: June 12, 2021, 03:59:50 AM »

I find. "No vaccine requirements" horrible.
I believe we can get rid of Covid if everyone. Gets vaccinated.  This is so obvious.

I get my second shot next week. I want to get one of them " proof of vaccination cards"

Let's. Go Blue!
Blue In BC

« Reply #250 on: June 12, 2021, 02:15:09 PM »

Our roster looks pretty good with most 2019 starters due to return.

In theory we need to replace 2 starting DB's, some of our 2019 DI's and some back up Canadians.

I'm not unhappy with any of our imports. However: Bailey, M. Jones, Richardson, Nelson and Grant will see the most competition in TC.  All of these showed promise in 2019 and I expect they will be even better in 2021.

That said:

Rough count: 12 rookie import receivers and 21 DB's looking to beat out somebody. Impressive credentials in this group so I look forward to hear the early results / leaders in TC.

Our Canadian draft choices will mostly be filling actual roster openings due to departures. I don't expect any remaining veterans to be beat out per se. The new candidates look promising and I see that a positive for 2021.

I have a good idea of which new Canadians make the roster IMO. While I don't expect any surprises, you never know what happens in TC.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2021, 02:24:23 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

2019 Grey Cup Champions
GCn19

« Reply #251 on: June 14, 2021, 02:56:22 PM »

Would like to send out condolences to Nic Demski on the loss of his Poppa. Our thoughts are with you and your family.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
blue_or_die

« Reply #252 on: June 14, 2021, 07:52:46 PM »

Would like to send out condolences to Nic Demski on the loss of his Poppa. Our thoughts are with you and your family.

Horrible news. RIP.

He will come out and play hard for him come August.

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
Blue In BC

« Reply #253 on: June 15, 2021, 02:33:05 PM »

Just wondering out loud. Talent wins out for rookies making any teams roster. OTOH we have many rookies tentatively coming to camp whose contracts expire at the end of this season. We also have many rookies who signed 2 year contacts for 2021 - 2022.

It will be another something to watch as rosters are declared. If decisions are close does the team keep the 2 year contract over the 1 year contract. Especially for players heading to the PR in a shortened season.

What if anything will talks with the XFL mean in plans for 2022?

I only point this out since I only currently see 3 veterans whose contract extends to 2022. This may not be unusual across the CFL this season due to effort to reduce SMS spend. OTOH the idea of going into free agency with virtually the entire team as possible free agents, would be unusual.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 02:36:10 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

2019 Grey Cup Champions
NewBlue

« Reply #254 on: June 15, 2021, 08:31:37 PM »

Man, alot of names on the roster I've never heard of....

I think any season its a guessing game as to who could win a spot, this year its even more.  Who knows which players were eating chips on the couch for the past 18 months and have lost 3 steps, never mind 1. Then again, a shortened season is not the time to throw a true CFL rookie to the wolves.

With no preseason games, how are we going to argue about who's the better armchair scout??
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 35
  Print  

Jump to: