Blue Bombers Forum
September 23, 2021, 01:18:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 35
  Print  
Author Topic: Blue Bombers roster - 2020-2021  (Read 37747 times)
theaardvark

« Reply #225 on: May 19, 2021, 03:45:39 PM »

Transactions:

2021-05-18   WPG   BORSA, Kyle   RB   N      Add From Draft   Active Roster

Harris, Demski, Oliviera and Borsa... has any team ever had Nat RB depth like that?  I can see some of these guys getting shots at ST and returning.  No doubt Walters has made sure his draft picks understand that ST's are a huge part of the WBB, guys like Harris and Hansen earned their spots thought their special teams play...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #226 on: May 19, 2021, 04:07:50 PM »

Harris, Demski, Oliviera and Borsa... has any team ever had Nat RB depth like that?

Don't forget Johnny Augustine 27, don't we still have him?  He's ready to to start breaking out now that he's entering his 3rd season.

Never go full Rider!
blue_or_die

« Reply #227 on: May 19, 2021, 05:57:53 PM »

Don't forget Johnny Augustine 27, don't we still have him?  He's ready to to start breaking out now that he's entering his 3rd season.

I think aards accidentally mixed up Augustine and Demski (since Demski is a slot, although heck, you could list him as a potential RB if we were ever desperate I bet!)

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
Pigskin

« Reply #228 on: May 19, 2021, 08:19:44 PM »

Out of Augustine, Oliveira, and Borsa, the only one with CFL experience is JA27. Can't keep them all, one could be excellent trade bait.

We need a Canadian S, who mite be looking for a Canadian RB?

Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.
theaardvark

« Reply #229 on: May 19, 2021, 09:20:13 PM »

Out of Augustine, Oliveira, and Borsa, the only one with CFL experience is JA27. Can't keep them all, one could be excellent trade bait.

Have to wonder if any of the RB's (all supremely athletic) would make the flip to D (I know, why have someone play out of position.  When has that worked before?).... or does one of the draft picks make the grade as a starter?   

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
gobombersgo
Global Moderator

« Reply #230 on: May 20, 2021, 11:11:45 AM »

Transactions:

2021-05-19   WPG   OYELOLA, Ayo   LB   N   Nottingham University - England   Add From Draft   Active Roster

Blue In BC

« Reply #231 on: May 20, 2021, 12:31:39 PM »

I still believe it would make sense to see if at least 1 of the younger RB's can block well and be converted to either a FB / SB type of player.

As a FB they'd actually offer more offensive threat than a player like Rush for example. Keeping in mind FB is only a title.

While we don't often use a FB in our offensive sets, we do at times. In reality it would give us a 2 RB set that the defense would have to take into account.

A. Harris is obviously an excellent receiver and is a significant factor in our passing game.

So if we have another RB that can develop blocking and receiving skills, that's a new feature we could add to our game plan.

It's also possible we trade one of the younger players.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
Pigskin

« Reply #232 on: May 20, 2021, 01:14:47 PM »

Mike Miller was the guy the Bomber went with as our FB the last couple of years. He has played well, but I think we will see Oliveira take over that position this year. But at the end of the day, that's what TC is for. You never know until the boy's put on the pads.

the paw

« Reply #233 on: May 20, 2021, 01:38:54 PM »

Mike Miller was the guy the Bomber went with as our FB the last couple of years. He has played well, but I think we will see Oliveira take over that position this year. But at the end of the day, that's what TC is for. You never know until the boy's put on the pads.

I don't think Miller is going anywhere.  I think Oliveira slots into Rush's old spot. Now, Oliverira may steal some offensive reps from Miller, but I think those are our two "FB" this year.

I think Borsa lives on the PR this year, with an outside chance he gets to compete for Petermann's old back-up slot.  Borsa could slot in as a back-up to Demski, I think they have some similarities. 

grab grass 'n growl
Blue In BC

« Reply #234 on: May 20, 2021, 01:47:00 PM »

I don't think Miller is going anywhere.  I think Oliveira slots into Rush's old spot. Now, Oliverira may steal some offensive reps from Miller, but I think those are our two "FB" this year.

I think Borsa lives on the PR this year, with an outside chance he gets to compete for Petermann's old back-up slot.  Borsa could slot in as a back-up to Demski, I think they have some similarities. 

You're right. Miller isn't going anywhere, he's an excellent player especially on ST's.

Oliveira does take Rush's spot on the roster as you mentioned.

The question revolves around whether he can be used as more of an offensive weapon than either Miller or Rush as I suggested. Step 1 is can he block effectively?

All RB's have to block at times, so I don't see any issue lining up at FB at times. Augustine and Oliveria will both see some opportunities to play beyond just ST work. It won't hurt to give / pace A. Harris as necessary or when practical as game situation dictates.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 02:15:51 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

2019 Grey Cup Champions
Pigskin

« Reply #235 on: May 20, 2021, 02:39:10 PM »

You're right. Miller isn't going anywhere, he's an excellent player especially on ST's.

Oliveira does take Rush's spot on the roster as you mentioned.

The question revolves around whether he can be used as more of an offensive weapon than either Miller or Rush as I suggested. Step 1 is can he block effectively?

All RB's have to block at times, so I don't see any issue lining up at FB at times. Augustine and Oliveria will both see some opportunities to play beyond just ST work. It won't hurt to give / pace A. Harris as necessary or when practical as game situation dictates.

No one said Miller wasn't going to play teams. Where did you read that??? Just that he mite play less at FB. The other things is your talking about John Rush, John Rush is no longer with the team.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 03:39:18 PM by Pigskin » Logged

Blue In BC

« Reply #236 on: May 20, 2021, 04:39:32 PM »

No one said Miller wasn't going to play teams. Where did you read that??? Just that he mite play less at FB. The other things is your talking about John Rush, John Rush is no longer with the team.

I wasn't suggesting he wouldn't play on ST's. That's where he's most valuable.  I'm just suggesting we may have alternatives to him playing FB that are a more offensive threat. As you said, he just might play less reps at FB.

Neither Miller or Rush were that and I know Rush is no longer with the team.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
GCn19

« Reply #237 on: May 20, 2021, 05:40:41 PM »

If Borsa is to have any shot of making this team he will have to do at least one of the following:  a) be better than one of Oliveira or Augustine b) demonstrate he is a ST ace or c) be able to convert to hybrid SB role ala Demski

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
gobombersgo
Global Moderator

« Reply #238 on: May 21, 2021, 09:39:19 PM »

BLUE BOMBERS SIGN KYLE BORSA FROM 2021 CFL DRAFT

WINNIPEG, MB., May 20, 2021 - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the club has signed 2021 CFL Draft selection Kyle Borsa (RB).

Borsa
(6-0, 200, Regina, November 2, 1998 in Regina, SK) spent his entire U SPORTS career with his hometown Rams.

During his time with the program, the back posted 2,195 all-purpose yards and seven touchdowns. In his first year with the program, Borsa finished with 855 all-purpose yards, serving as the Rams' primary option on kick-off and punt returns.

During the 2018 campaign, Borsa played in eight games, starting in three of those contests. Despite that, he managed to post 613 yards and six majors on 96 carries.

https://www.bluebombers.com/2021/05/20/blue-bombers-sign-kyle-borsa-2021-cfl-draft/

DRAFT PROFILE - KYLE BORSA
https://www.bluebombers.com/2021/05/18/draft-profile-kyle-borsa/

FIRST & 10 - LOWES & BORSA REUNITED IN WINNIPEG
https://www.bluebombers.com/2021/05/16/first-10-lowes-borsa-reunited-winnipeg/

Blue In BC

« Reply #239 on: May 22, 2021, 01:36:26 PM »

I was wondering about this today and what changed to the game day and total roster.

Nationals    Global    Americans    Quarterbacks    Reserve    Total
Min. 21    Min. 2    Max. 20    2    1    46

Of the 46 players named to the roster, each team may dress an active roster of 45 players, broken down as follows:

Maximum of 2 QBs (no designation)
    Maximum of 20 American players (4 of which must be identified as designated Americans)
    Minimum of 21 National players
    Minimum of 2 Global players

The 46 man roster now sets the game day roster at 45 with 1 reserve equaling 46 overall.

IIRC this is different than 2019 and earlier when we had a 2 man reserve? Must be an adjustment due to adding the 2nd Global player for 2020 - 2021. I was previously unaware of that change adding 1 to game day AR.

It also means the 1 man reserve player MUST be a Canadian. While I have no issue with that, I continue to not understand why he can't dress on the game day roster.

After all he's getting full salary and he'll be a Canadian player. What's the point of not dressing?

There may have been an issue now or in the past if the reserve players were imports. It's certainly not the case in the new format.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 02:59:46 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

2019 Grey Cup Champions
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 35
  Print  

Jump to: