Blue Bombers Forum
October 26, 2021, 07:51:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 42
  Print  
Author Topic: Blue Bombers roster - 2020-2021  (Read 46016 times)
GCn19

« Reply #165 on: February 11, 2021, 02:35:18 PM »

PR counts full against the cap... yes there is no actual minimum, but SMS...

3rd QB is not "insurance policy" veteran. There will be one of those available at any time you put a QB on the 6 game.

3rd QB will be a development guy....

I agree that it is highly unlikely we sign a vet for 3rd string. If the decision is made to go after a MBT or other vet it will be because the Bombers want him at 2nd string. If the Bombers are as high on McGuire as they say then it is quite likely our 3rd string will be a developmental guy making a league minimum salary on the PR. If we want to pay PR wages we quite likely will have a hard time getting a 3rd QB that is worth a snot. They will likely try gp to XFL instead.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
Jesse

« Reply #166 on: February 11, 2021, 03:03:41 PM »

I agree that it is highly unlikely we sign a vet for 3rd string. If the decision is made to go after a MBT or other vet it will be because the Bombers want him at 2nd string. If the Bombers are as high on McGuire as they say then it is quite likely our 3rd string will be a developmental guy making a league minimum salary on the PR. If we want to pay PR wages we quite likely will have a hard time getting a 3rd QB that is worth a snot. They will likely try gp to XFL instead.

Yeah, no way we sign a vet. McGuire is locked in at #2 and we?ll sign some kid for the PR.

My wife is amazing!
Blue In BC

« Reply #167 on: February 11, 2021, 04:10:50 PM »

Yeah, no way we sign a vet. McGuire is locked in at #2 and we?ll sign some kid for the PR.

I wouldn't say that McGuire is a lock at # 2. We're always optimistic about our back up QB's and maybe he turns out to be a great QB. At the moment it's his job to lose but there will be QB's in TC trying to change that.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
blue_or_die

« Reply #168 on: February 11, 2021, 06:19:53 PM »

You guys are putting way too much emphasis on the depth chart number. If Collaros goes down and we have McGuire (who makes peanuts, so we can afford to pay a "#2" salary to a "#3") plus a vet, you're **** right we have a serious conversation over who's taking over. I don't want potentially a full season of McGuire plus guy no one's heard of as our QB corps.

We are gambling on Collaros already. Need insurance.

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
Blue In BC

« Reply #169 on: February 11, 2021, 06:26:30 PM »

You guys are putting way too much emphasis on the depth chart number. If Collaros goes down and we have McGuire (who makes peanuts, so we can afford to pay a "#2" salary to a "#3") plus a vet, you're **** right we have a serious conversation over who's taking over. I don't want potentially a full season of McGuire plus guy no one's heard of as our QB corps.

We are gambling on Collaros already. Need insurance.

That's not the question. The question is what can we afford and who is available. MBT is probably the best available but he won't come cheap and will be looking for starting money.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
Pigskin

« Reply #170 on: February 11, 2021, 07:10:16 PM »

Give MBT $125,000 with incentive money for starts. Would a very good insurance policy.

Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.
Blue In BC

« Reply #171 on: February 11, 2021, 07:17:40 PM »

Give MBT $125,000 with incentive money for starts. Would a very good insurance policy.

Good insurance yes. Would he accept that type of contact? IMO he wouldn't although his options are limited now. His value goes up the minute a starting QB goes down.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
Pigskin

« Reply #172 on: February 11, 2021, 07:25:06 PM »

And that is why you pay him incentive money for starts.

Jesse

« Reply #173 on: February 11, 2021, 09:45:30 PM »

I wouldn't say that McGuire is a lock at # 2. We're always optimistic about our back up QB's and maybe he turns out to be a great QB. At the moment it's his job to lose but there will be QB's in TC trying to change that.

I do not think we sign a vet, is all I?m saying. If college kid comes in and outplays McGuire for #2, that?s fantastic.

In the scenario blue_or_die mentions, and Collaros is gone for the whole season, then we likely go out and find someone with experience (ala how we got Collaros in the first place). I don?t think it happens unless we are in that specific situation though.

My wife is amazing!
theaardvark

« Reply #174 on: February 12, 2021, 06:23:30 AM »

And that is why you pay him incentive money for starts.

No, he's saying MBT is better off waiting of one of 18 other QB's to go down, rather than limiting himself to hoping one of 2 get injured...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
blue_or_die

« Reply #175 on: February 12, 2021, 04:13:28 PM »

That's not the question. The question is what can we afford and who is available. MBT is probably the best available but he won't come cheap and will be looking for starting money.

I like to think we can afford to pay a QB backup money. He won't come at league min but he won't be a 400k guy either. In the past, many CFL teams budget for a vet backup QB in the 100-200k range. Maybe that's not doable this year because finances, maybe it is, who knows.

I do not think we sign a vet, is all I?m saying. If college kid comes in and outplays McGuire for #2, that?s fantastic.

In the scenario blue_or_die mentions, and Collaros is gone for the whole season, then we likely go out and find someone with experience (ala how we got Collaros in the first place). I don?t think it happens unless we are in that specific situation though.

That's totally possible but I'm on the MBT train because I don't want to risk him being snapped up before we get to him or his value skyrockets and we truly can't afford him.

No, he's saying MBT is better off waiting of one of 18 other QB's to go down, rather than limiting himself to hoping one of 2 get injured...

I guess but that's a gamble as well. What if that doesn't happen until Week 10 and then he's able to get a 250K contract but it's only prorated to half a season when he could take some guaranteed money from a team before the season starts?

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
Blue In BC

« Reply #176 on: February 12, 2021, 04:55:51 PM »

I wonder how much McGuire is earning? In any case I doubt MBT is anywhere below $200K. In fact I think he wants to start and is looking for $250+ ( just my opinion ). Now whether any team has the SMS room or need to spend at the QB position that is another question.

Then there is the issue of pushing McGuire off the game day roster before we really know what he can achieve.

Hindsight is always right and we could regret this by game 1 if there is an injury.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
Pigskin

« Reply #177 on: February 12, 2021, 05:22:45 PM »

Right now there's no starting QB positions open. So he's SOL on that. I don't know if he received any signing bonus money last year, but like a lot of CFL players money could be tight with no football last year. Not the year to be looking for a big pay day. 

Blue In BC

« Reply #178 on: February 12, 2021, 05:37:11 PM »

Right now there's no starting QB positions open. So he's SOL on that. I don't know if he received any signing bonus money last year, but like a lot of CFL players money could be tight with no football last year. Not the year to be looking for a big pay day. 

Any idea what MBT was earning in 2019 or what his 2020 contract would have been? It's not that I expect he wants a raise but doesn't want to take a significant cut. It's a musical chair situation for him.

Starters have been determined. Which teams are least comfortable at their # 2 QB position and willing to pay his SMS? So far, nobody has jumped to the front of the line.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
gobombersgo
Global Moderator

« Reply #179 on: February 16, 2021, 10:44:00 PM »

Transactions:

2021-02-16   WPG   HENDERSON, Quadree   WR   A   Pittsburgh   Add To   Active Roster

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 42
  Print  

Jump to: