Blue Bombers Forum
September 23, 2021, 01:03:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 35
  Print  
Author Topic: Blue Bombers roster - 2020-2021  (Read 37731 times)
Blue In BC

« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2020, 05:37:24 PM »

I like O'Connor as well as a developmental project. I would sign him as a 3rd stringer but only if we have a rock solid number 2 QB signed. I love me a healthy Collaros, but with his injury history we better have a QB that's CFL ready to play behind him.

I also have an interest in O'Conner and agree with the statements above.

Whether any QB aside from a rookie is affordable is more of a question. I'd expect a rookie to be available while on the PR and being developed. Any QB that has been on a CFL roster might need to be retained on the 1 game IR at full pay.

That might be not to much above ELC but certainly more than a player on the PR. CFL suggested to run a budget closer to SMS floor than ceiling. That makes these decisions a greater financial question.

I'm still not sure why the CFL changed the roster to dress 2 QB's instead of 3. Essentially they created AR roster space for the 1st global player last year by doing that.

McGuire stands a decent chance to return as the # 2 QB IMO. Going with pure rookies and # 2 and # 3 wouldn't be the best option.

It seemed nearly every starting CFL QB missed some time during 2019.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 05:41:54 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

2019 Grey Cup Champions
Pigskin

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2020, 05:55:54 PM »

I will put my money and faith into McGuire again this year. Big arm, runs well, has been with the organization.

Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.
GCn19

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2020, 05:45:12 PM »

I also have an interest in O'Conner and agree with the statements above.

Whether any QB aside from a rookie is affordable is more of a question. I'd expect a rookie to be available while on the PR and being developed. Any QB that has been on a CFL roster might need to be retained on the 1 game IR at full pay.

That might be not to much above ELC but certainly more than a player on the PR. CFL suggested to run a budget closer to SMS floor than ceiling. That makes these decisions a greater financial question.

I'm still not sure why the CFL changed the roster to dress 2 QB's instead of 3. Essentially they created AR roster space for the 1st global player last year by doing that.

McGuire stands a decent chance to return as the # 2 QB IMO. Going with pure rookies and # 2 and # 3 wouldn't be the best option.

It seemed nearly every starting CFL QB missed some time during 2019.

If McGuire is back, O'Connor for SY is redundant. McGuire is an excellent SY QB.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
Leroy Brown
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2020, 07:35:11 PM »

McGuire might be a free agent given the 2020 year counted, assuming the usual ELC so only one year with the team. Got the nod ahead of Bryan Bennett for 2019 though who played special teams and also has a strong arm. Could have been money. 

Bennett is likely available and could come in handy with the 2 QB rule mentioned in an earlier post.

As far as a Canadian QB, Chase Claypool and a host of others are showing that Canadians are no longer second class athletes and can play at a high level when given the chance. Time the CFL gave some of these guys a chance imo. Hugo Richard is another.
Blue In BC

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2020, 07:41:04 PM »

If McGuire is back, O'Connor for SY is redundant. McGuire is an excellent SY QB.

I wasn't suggesting O'Connor for SY. I just thought he might be capable of developing as a good QB given time.

McGuire didn't get many reps so whether he is capable for SY I can't say. Even determining whether he'll become a good # 2 QB is not really known. Perhaps those that have seen him more during TC and practice can weigh into that conversation.

I'm not exactly certain where or how you get you view he'd be a good SY QB. Perhaps from watching practice or college games. Regardless, skill as a SY QB is not near the top of what you want from your # 2 QB. A good thing to have but can he win games if needed?

My view is that he's been here and had time to learn the system etc, etc. We'll have a new OC so the system will change somewhat in 2021. It's not inconceivable that a rookie might create competition this TC.

All of this is the downside of not having 3QB's on the AR both in short term and long term development at the QB position.

Realistically McGuire would only be going into his 2nd CFL season. He might be the next Reilly or the 1st QB cut in TC.

I'm hoping he can show us he can become a good QB.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
Blue In BC

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2020, 07:46:25 PM »

McGuire might be a free agent given the 2020 year counted, assuming the usual ELC so only one year with the team. Got the nod ahead of Bryan Bennett for 2019 though who played special teams and also has a strong arm. Could have been money. 

Bennett is likely available and could come in handy with the 2 QB rule mentioned in an earlier post.

As far as a Canadian QB, Chase Claypool and a host of others are showing that Canadians are no longer second class athletes and can play at a high level when given the chance. Time the CFL gave some of these guys a chance imo. Hugo Richard is another.

McGuire is on the potential free agent list. Whether he even wants to come back or how much $$ he'll ask we'll see. Like every approaching TC we'll see who gets signed and wins roster spots.

I don't see Bennett as an option.

Re the Canadians and those going to the NFL. Sure a few players are having great NFL success. The entire Canadian QB question has been long discussed. Every off season in fact.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
gobombersgo
Global Moderator

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2020, 11:44:45 PM »

Bombers GM forced to play Scrooge
Author of the article:
Paul Friesen

It's a painful exercise going on in CFL front offices across the country, but nobody else is in quite the same position as Winnipeg?s Kyle Walters.

The Blue Bomber GM's task: ask the same players who ended a 28-year championship drought in 2019 to take pay cuts.

Merry Christmas, everybody. Here's your lump of coal.

"It's a bit demoralizing," Walters said on a conference call, Thursday. "It's tough and demoralizing to look at the roster and all the guys that led us to a Grey Cup and how difficult it?s going to be to keep the core together."

Coming off a cancelled 2020 season, Walters received a budget from team president/CEO Wade Miller that calls for cuts of between $400,000 and $500,000 from the 2019 cap of $5.3 million.

The cash crunch is so real, he can't even address his massive, all-star list of pending free agents until he frees up some dough.

The only way to do that is ask franchise pillars like quarterback Zach Collaros, linebacker Adam Bighill and defensive end Willie Jefferson, all with contracts for next year, to restructure.

Walters didn't name names, but veterans with off-season bonuses in their deals, typically paid in early January or February, are his top priority.

"We're looking at all the options, and none of them are great," he said. "It's a lot of time and energy and not very pleasant phone calls with agents. The magnitude of this is different. Now instead of a couple of those decisions, we're looking at six, seven, eight, nine of those decisions. The number of them is a bit overwhelming."

After winning the Grey Cup, the Bombers signed Collaros, who went 4-0 as the starter, to a two-year deal that would have paid him some $450,000 per season.

Soon after that, Jefferson inked a two-year contract reportedly worth $250,000-plus.

In early 2019, the Bombers committed to paying Bighill a similar salary for three years.

Most of those types of contracts include significant signing and off-season bonuses, sometimes in the six figures.

In 2020, players earned only those bonuses, and no salaries.

"You have to look at every contract," Walters said. "The experienced guys that make the most money that are due off-season money are the conversations.

And that sets the domino effect... it depends on how much your big-time guys decide to do. Or what we can do."

It's a similar story around the league.

In Montreal, for instance, starting quarterback Vernon Adams agreed to free up some cash so the Alouettes could sign others.

Once Walters knows how much he'll be paying out in the next two months, the seven-year GM can tackle a free-agent list that on its own could make a decent run at a Grey Cup.

Running back Andrew Harris, O-linemen Stanley Bryant, Jermarcus Hardrick and Pat Neufeld, D-lineman Jackson Jeffcoat, safety Brandon Alexander, robo-kicker Justin Medlock - all are poised to hit the open market in February.

It wouldn't be a surprise to learn Walters' water bottle these days is laced with Alka Seltzer instead of Gatorade.

"We've got veteran guys that have been defensive players of the year and Grey Cup MVP's and linemen of the year - we've got some quality talent on our team that are veterans that have earned their high paycheques," he said.

"Until we get that off-season money figured out, the guys without off-season money will just have to wait."

The encouraging news, Walters says, is agents aren't just hanging up on him.

They understand the new reality.

There's also the matter of deciding which new Americans to sign, comparing last year's crop, who never did show up, to the new names on their negotiation list.

The size of the coaching staff, also under new budgetary constraints, is head coach Mike O'Shea?s department.

As for the free agent market, that's a big unknown, too. For players and GM's.

Will the league's high-end players get paid before they free up, restructure, or be cut loose?

"After going through a year without making a paycheque it behooves them to explore all options, and you can't blame them for that," Walters said. "There's a lot more uncertainty heading into free agency this year than ever before."

All for a 2021 campaign that remains tied to the thread of the pandemic.

One thing is certain: the reigning Grey Cup champs won't look the same whenever they start defending their title.

"We're doing our best," Walters said. "It's obviously a very, very different world."

https://winnipegsun.com/sports/football/cfl/winnipeg-bluebombers/bombers-gm-forced-to-play-scrooge?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

gobombersgo
Global Moderator

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2020, 11:46:04 PM »

Free Agency Update with GM Kyle Walters - Ed Tait

https://www.bluebombers.com/2020/12/17/free-agency-update-gm-kyle-walters/?spMailingID=6446830&spUserID=MjMzNjA0Mjk2NzA2S0&spJobID=1

gobombersgo
Global Moderator

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2020, 11:49:59 PM »

Transactions:

2020-12-18   WPG   NEAL, Tyrone   LB   N   Auburn   Delete From Active   Free Agent
2020-12-18   WPG   MCCANTS, Tyre   WR   N   South Florida   Delete From Active   Free Agent
2020-12-18   WPG   CARPENTER, Shane   OL   N   Louisiana Tech   Delete From Active   Free Agent
2020-12-18   WPG   LYLES, Chris   DB   A   Mississippi College   Delete From Active   Free Agent
2020-12-18   WPG   KOLOAMATANGI, Meffy   DL   A   Hawaii   Delete From Active   Free Agent
2020-12-18   WPG   LAFRANCE, Royce   DL   N   Tulane   Delete From Active   Free Agent

Leroy Brown
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2020, 07:47:43 AM »

I don't see Bennett as an option.

I only mentioned Bennett as a potential special teamer that could play QB in a pinch if ever needed given the rule change.

Armanti Edwards is another who recently commented he is confident about playing QB.

I look forward to seeing how the 2 QB rule works out. Having only two makes a Collaros / McGuire combination a fairly bold move.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 01:55:47 PM by Leroy Brown » Logged
Blue In BC

« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2020, 02:29:51 PM »

I only mentioned Bennett as a potential special teamer that could play QB in a pinch if ever needed given the rule change.

Armanti Edwards is another who recently commented he is confident about playing QB.

I look forward to seeing how the 2 QB rule works out. Having only two makes a Collaros / McGuire combination a fairly bold move.

I agree with the idea in principle but not the decision you suggested. Import ST players are often DI's that are more likely to get actual playing time.

I can't see his skill value as either a QB or ST player that would justify him in that role. Add to that his salary compared to a probable DI could be quite a bit higher.

You'd have to look at our DI's in 2019 ( as an example ) and see his value over one he might have replaced.

In theory we're adding a 2nd global player in 2021. I've joking suggested in the past to find a cousin of Anthony Calvillo that plays QB / Receiver as the 2nd global player.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
gobombersgo
Global Moderator

« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2020, 08:11:48 AM »

Transactions:

2020-12-23   WPG   WILCOTS, Cedric   DL   A   New Mexico State   Add To   Active Roster
2020-12-23   WPG   JACKSON, Blake   WR   A   Mary Hardin-Baylor   Add To   Active Roster

gobombersgo
Global Moderator

« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2021, 10:41:42 PM »

BLUE BOMBERS AGREE TO TERMS WITH JERMARCUS HARDRICK

WINNIPEG, MB., December 30, 2020 - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the club has agreed to terms with American offensive lineman Jermarcus Hardrick to a one-year extension. Hardrick was scheduled to be a free agent in February.

Hardrick (6-5, 320, Nebraska, May 30, 1990 in Batesville, MS) will be entering his seventh CFL season in 2021, and fifth with Winnipeg. He has played in 67 games since joining the team prior to the 2016 season, including starting all 18 games and three playoff games at right tackle in 2019.

Hardrick is a mainstay on an offensive lineman that once blocked for the league's leading rusher in 2019, and all of his games dressed (67) with Winnipeg since signing with the club have been starts.

https://www.bluebombers.com/2020/12/30/blue-bombers-agree-terms-jermarcus-hardrick/

HARDRICK SIGNS ON FOR ONE MORE YEAR
https://www.bluebombers.com/2020/12/30/hardrick-signs-one-year/

gobombersgo
Global Moderator

« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2021, 10:45:14 PM »

BLUE BOMBERS AGREE TO TERMS WITH QUARTERBACK SEAN MCGUIRE

WINNIPEG, MB., December 31, 2020 - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the club has agreed to terms with American quarterback Sean McGuire on a one-year extension. McGuire was scheduled to be a free agent in February.

McGuire (6-2, 220, Western Illinois) will be entering his second CFL season after signing with the Blue Bombers in May of 2019. He dressed for all 18 regular season games, and all postseason games during the 2019 Grey Cup winning season. McGuire saw action in two of those games - both against Calgary near the end of the regular season - completing two of three passes for 17 yards and rushing three times for 19 yards.

"It's really great to have Sean return for 2021,?=" said Offensive Coordinator Buck Pierce. "He's an extremely hard worker, has very high football IQ, and has all the physical tools to go along with that. I really believe he has a bright future in our league ahead of him."

He put up spectacular numbers during his time with the University of Western Illinois Fighting Leathernecks, and left as the school's all-time leader in passing yards (9,819), passing touchdowns (72), completions (771) and attempts (1,291). His 9,819 passing yards ranks second all-time in the history of the Missouri Valley Football Conference. McGuire was named the school?s Male Senior Athlete of the Year in 2018 and was an Honorable Mention All-Missouri Valley Conference player in 2016 and 2017.

https://www.bluebombers.com/2020/12/31/blue-bombers-agree-terms-quarterback-sean-mcguire/

MCGUIRE BACK ON BOARD
https://www.bluebombers.com/2020/12/31/mcguire-back-board/

gobombersgo
Global Moderator

« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2021, 10:46:52 PM »

Transactions:

2021-01-04   WPG   ROBINSON, Prince   DB   A   Tarleton State   Add To   Active Roster
2021-01-04   WPG   MCGUIRE, Sean   QB   A   Western Illinois   Add To   Active Roster

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 35
  Print  

Jump to: