Blue Bombers Forum
October 19, 2021, 01:55:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 40
  Print  
Author Topic: Blue Bombers roster - 2020-2021  (Read 44147 times)
theaardvark

« Reply #150 on: February 10, 2021, 06:19:30 PM »

I'm a little concerned about the DT position. Thomas played well but never was the primary DT. Losing Kongbo hurts and IMO we still need to find out who is the rotational player at DT and in general.

Griffiths or ? are still question marks but that might be the direction we go.

I'm fairly confidant in Liegghio is the primary kicker but maybe that's where we see a Global added as well.

I joking suggested we find a cousin of Calvillo that is a QB. You never know. lol

I think we have a DL that may have 1 or fewer DT's on most plays... 2 on short yardage downs...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Blue In BC

« Reply #151 on: February 10, 2021, 06:39:55 PM »

I think we have a DL that may have 1 or fewer DT's on most plays... 2 on short yardage downs...

Yes but that doesn't mean we don't need a 2nd quality DT, normally an import. The Canadian DT's could be great, we'll see.

Look at the Grey Cup depth chart. We had Richardson and Nevis as starters and only Thomas as a Canadian DT. 

This year we'll have 1 less Canadian spot on the game day roster due to adding another Global player.

So variables are who we draft or drafted both in Canadian and Global drafts.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 06:47:15 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

2019 Grey Cup Champions
the paw

« Reply #152 on: February 10, 2021, 07:41:13 PM »

Yes but that doesn't mean we don't need a 2nd quality DT, normally an import. The Canadian DT's could be great, we'll see.

Look at the Grey Cup depth chart. We had Richardson and Nevis as starters and only Thomas as a Canadian DT. 

This year we'll have 1 less Canadian spot on the game day roster due to adding another Global player.

So variables are who we draft or drafted both in Canadian and Global drafts.

Even with the goofy new "veteran Americans who masquerade as Canadians" rule, we still need 7 Canadian starters.  I see six of those on the offensive side of the ball, same as last year.  The interior of the o-line, RB, and 2 receivers.

We need to have at least one defensive starter, and until I see evidence to the contrary, Thomas/Griffiths are going to be it.  Thomas rotated in a lot last year, but I agree that he can't carry the load on his own.  Griffiths will have to pitch in.  We will sign an import DT I think, but a PR guy more likely than not. 

I guess we could pull a Throwback Thursday and sign Taylor Loffler to play safety again, but with Exume gone, I am thinking the longshot odds of a Canadian safety just got longer. 

grab grass 'n growl
Blue In BC

« Reply #153 on: February 10, 2021, 07:52:54 PM »

Even with the goofy new "veteran Americans who masquerade as Canadians" rule, we still need 7 Canadian starters.  I see six of those on the offensive side of the ball, same as last year.  The interior of the o-line, RB, and 2 receivers.

We need to have at least one defensive starter, and until I see evidence to the contrary, Thomas/Griffiths are going to be it.  Thomas rotated in a lot last year, but I agree that he can't carry the load on his own.  Griffiths will have to pitch in.  We will sign an import DT I think, but a PR guy more likely than not. 

I guess we could pull a Throwback Thursday and sign Taylor Loffler to play safety again, but with Exume gone, I am thinking the longshot odds of a Canadian safety just got longer. 

I expect DI's to be: returner / receiver, DT, LB and a DB if Medlock doesn't return. Another DT will be on the PR without doubt.

IMO only have a rookie DT backing up both DT's spots is trouble. Hence the idea of a Global possibility.

Really we'll see how the drafts go on both fronts.

I wouldn't rule out Loffler returning but SMS and 2019 injury are both concerns. We did add in Hallett's brother as another DB and have a 2020 draft choice to get signed. We also have the 3rd pick for 2021 which could be a DB or LB I'm thinking.

All guess work at the moment.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
Horseman

« Reply #154 on: February 10, 2021, 08:26:51 PM »

No to Loffler, his knees are shot, when he was here, he barely practiced bc of his knees. He is an injury waiting to happen, plus he will be to expensive for what we would get out of him.
Jockitch

« Reply #155 on: February 10, 2021, 08:33:40 PM »

Someone, awhile back, posted that Petermann will end up in Ottawa  but yet hasn't signed
My hope is that Walters will resign him

BOMBERS ARE GREY CUP " CHAMPS "

HUSTLE & MUSCLE
Pigskin

« Reply #156 on: February 10, 2021, 08:39:20 PM »

That was me, and he is headed to Ottawa. Gone.

Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.
gobombersgo
Global Moderator

« Reply #157 on: February 11, 2021, 12:42:55 AM »

Day one signing:

BLUE BOMBERS AGREE TO TERMS WITH WINNIPEG-BORN LONG SNAPPER MIKE BENSON

WINNIPEG, MB., February 9, 2021 - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the club has agreed to terms with Winnipeg-born long snapper Mike Benson.

Benson (5-10, 245, Acadia, May 13, 1987 in Winnipeg, MB) was most recently with the Montreal Alouettes organization in 2020. He played five games with the Ottawa REDBLACKS in 2019. The 33-year-old long snapper started his career with Edmonton in 2012 before joining the B.C. Lions for five years.

Benson has played 89 career-games in the CFL and made 16 special teams tackles, while scoring a touchdown on a fumble return. Benson attended St. Paul's High School in Winnipeg.

https://www.bluebombers.com/2021/02/09/blue-bombers-agree-terms-winnipeg-born-long-snapper-mike-benson/

gobombersgo
Global Moderator

« Reply #158 on: February 11, 2021, 12:43:20 AM »

Day two signing:

BLUE BOMBERS AGREE TO TERMS WITH RECEIVER BRYANT MITCHELL

WINNIPEG, MB., February 9, 2021 - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the team has agreed to terms on a one-year contract with receiver Bryant Mitchell.

Mitchell
(6-2, 200, Northwestern State, August 16, 1992 in San Diego, CA) has spent three seasons in the CFL, most recently the 2018 campaign with Edmonton, where he recorded 60 receptions for 867 yards and three touchdowns in just eleven games.

Following the 2018 season, Mitchell signed with the Arizona Cardinals, and then moved on to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. He was injured in training camp in 2019, however returned for 2020 training camp before being released.

Through 19 CFL games, Mitchell has recorded 97 receptions for 1,418 yards and six touchdowns.

https://www.bluebombers.com/2021/02/10/blue-bombers-agree-terms-receiver-bryant-mitchell/

"THIS IS A TEAM PEOPLE WANT TO PLAY FOR" -  MITCHELL JOINS THE BLUE & GOLD

https://www.bluebombers.com/2021/02/10/team-people-want-play-mitchell-joins-blue-gold/

The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #159 on: February 11, 2021, 01:19:52 AM »

What are our options for punter/kicker if Medlock leaves?

Are we bringing in other options for QB?  I would like to see MBT but that isn't going to happen. 

Blue In BC

« Reply #160 on: February 11, 2021, 01:24:00 PM »

What are our options for punter/kicker if Medlock leaves?

Are we bringing in other options for QB?  I would like to see MBT but that isn't going to happen. 

We drafted Liegghio to fill Medlock's role.

We only have 2 QB's on the game day roster now. That makes is difficult to have any #3 QB that won't be sit on the PR.

If you sign a # 3 to put him on the 1 game IR then it's self defeating changing the game day roster limit.

Then there is the SMS issue in this season of reduced spend.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
GCn19

« Reply #161 on: February 11, 2021, 01:35:04 PM »

We drafted Liegghio to fill Medlock's role.

We only have 2 QB's on the game day roster now. That makes is difficult to have any #3 QB that won't be sit on the PR.

If you sign a # 3 to put him on the 1 game IR then it's self defeating changing the game day roster limit.

Then there is the SMS issue in this season of reduced spend.

We will almost definitely be carrying a 3rd QB. It would be silly not to have one. That QB will quite likely be on the PR but being paid full game day cheques. PR pay has a minimum but no maximum.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
blue_or_die

« Reply #162 on: February 11, 2021, 02:05:24 PM »

Count me on board to picking up MBT (although I said this a while back before it was cool) if he isn't snapped up soon. Agreed we can PR him but pay him backup money.

Also, maybe an unpopular opinion, but I'm totally ok moving on from Medlock. Loved what he did for us but I'm excited to get a young, Canadian kicker (helping our DI situation) with a fantastic USports pedigree and far lower cap hit in there. There will be some lumps at first but I hope we are patient and groom him to be the next big CFL kicking star.

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
theaardvark

« Reply #163 on: February 11, 2021, 02:26:18 PM »

PR counts full against the cap... yes there is no actual minimum, but SMS...

3rd QB is not "insurance policy" veteran. There will be one of those available at any time you put a QB on the 6 game.

3rd QB will be a development guy....

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Blue In BC

« Reply #164 on: February 11, 2021, 02:33:03 PM »

We will almost definitely be carrying a 3rd QB. It would be silly not to have one. That QB will quite likely be on the PR but being paid full game day cheques. PR pay has a minimum but no maximum.

Of course we'll have a #3 QB but the question was whether we can / will be able to afford a veteran QB.  Logic would suggest a rookie QB who would be closer to minimum and perhaps at actual minimum.

Also IIRC the Global players salaries were SMS exempt. The 1st one effectively replaced a # 3 QB on the game day AR. Why didn't they just adjust the roster up by 1 player to accommodate a # 3 QB. We're just going to have to hide him on the PR or 1 game IR and he'll still get whatever $$ he gets.

The other issue is that a given player may refuse a PR spot regardless of SS.

Crazy idea this Global thing.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 02:37:04 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

2019 Grey Cup Champions
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 40
  Print  

Jump to: