Blue Bombers Forum
February 01, 2023, 02:42:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: "We're not the only ones going through this......."  (Read 1901 times)
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« on: September 30, 2020, 08:20:44 PM »

"We're not the only ones going through this, but that doesn't make it any easier." - Ed Tait

Seldom does a day pass without Winnipeg Blue Bombers GM Kyle Walters getting bombarded with a series of questions, or posing a ton of them himself.

These are uncertain times for the 2019 Grey Cup champions and for the Canadian Football League, what with the 2020 season cancelled, with budgets being cut and with general managers treading water right now until they get some sort of guidelines from league headquarters.

And that's hardly an ideal scenario when a team is trying to build a roster for 2021. There's also the meaty matter of trying to do all that while being faced with a significant cut to the football operations budget.

"That's the real big one for us right now: trying to figure out what the staff looks like next year with the new parameters in the pay structure," began Walters. "(Head coach) Mike (O'Shea) and I have had some good discussions about how the coaching staff looks, how the scouting department looks, the equipment staff, the video staff... everybody that falls under the operations cap needs to be looked at and how we fit it in under the cap number and how we put the best group in place.

"These are hard discussions we're having, and we take it very seriously because these are people's livelihoods here. It's not just as simple as looking at a spreadsheet and figuring out how the numbers add up. When you are talking about people's livelihoods with pay cuts or position eliminations it's not a very pleasant conversation. There's no good outcome.

"It's just the way it is. We're not the only ones going through this, but that doesn't make it any easier."

Bluebombers.com recently visited with Walters for a long chat about planning during a pandemic, focusing not only on the cuts to the budget, but also on preparing for free agency, scouting talent and then preparing for the 2021 Canadian Draft.......

The rest of Ed Tait's article an be read here!

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
BLUEBOMBER

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2020, 06:07:43 AM »

The Canadian market is already small as it is, then we have to compete with the NFL and other sports.  Furthermore, major markets like Toronto, BC and Montreal don't give a **** about the CFL because they would rather watch the NFL.  What's left is basically a 6 team league.  Either the CFL expands to smaller markets and change itself to a semi-pro league to develop players for the NFL or future XFL or we have to find new sources of revenue and fans. I am beginning to see that even Calgary and Ottawa are losing fans big time.  The CFL fan base is shrinking every year despite having shiny new stadiums for many teams.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 03:00:30 AM by ModAdmin » Logged
DM83

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2020, 01:02:04 PM »

I find it hard to consider them relevant. Never any news.  Granted there is not any.

Is. Randy still getting a paycheck? ,again, not much can be done.  Hence my topic sentence.
I hate this Covid. Crap! Het the dam cure or whatever ya call it.

A community"owned" organization has to be raising red flags
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: