Blue Bombers Forum
February 05, 2023, 06:55:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: First & 10 : Catching up with Nick Taylor  (Read 1058 times)
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« on: September 28, 2020, 02:50:36 AM »

First & 10 : Catching up with Nick Taylor - Ed Tait

It began as a casual chat with the check-in question that seems to precede so many conversations these days:

How are you managing in these crazy, COVID times?

And by the conclusion of 20-minute visit with Winnipeg Blue Bombers defensive back Nick Taylor, we had touched on everything from his good fortune in 2019 - landing in Manitoba after being cut by Edmonton and then winning a championship - to his itching desire to get back to work and our mutual love for basketball and the National Basketball Association.

We'll get to the hoops in a bit, but let's open with some thoughts from Taylor on the cancellation of the 2020 Canadian Football League season and how that has derailed - temporarily - the good thing he and the Bombers defence had going late last year.

"It's been weird," began Taylor from his home in Miami. "There were all the reports that the season might happen, then it might not happen... but at the end of the day we always thought it was going to get done and we were going to have some kind of season. Somehow it was going to happen and so I was preparing for it.

"For it not to happen, well, it kinda sucks. But at the end of the day you've still got to keep your body in shape, even if it's just for COVID purposes and trying to be a healthy person. I was ready and prepared to get back, so that part is brutal. I really feel like I'm at the point in my career where I understand the game. It took a little awhile for me to get to that point where I can make plays and find a home."

Just to rewind, the 32-year-old Taylor began 2019 with the Edmonton Football Team but was released three games into the year. The Bombers, facing some injuries in the secondary, scooped up the veteran in mid-August. He started the final four games and the playoffs - including the Grey Cup.

"Coming into this year I really felt we were going to have an amazing year," said Taylor. "We don?t know how they were going to do it with Winston (Rose) and (Marcus) Sayles gone and whether they were going to move Mike Jones or me over there. But we had a nice group and we were really just starting to scratch the surface of having something special for Winnipeg.

"It turned out to be amazing. We got the ultimate prize and I got to work with a great group of people, Coach O'Shea... everybody in that building is amazing. It turned out for the best.

"I'm looking at it like I can't wait to get back to Winnipeg. I'm going to be there two weeks early before we even have to report just to get back to the facility and get acquainted with everybody. Remember, I was only there for 2-2 ? months, so I don't know everybody yet."

More on Taylor and other Bombers/CFL-related topics in our weekly collection of notes, quotes and links we call 1st & 10......

The rest of Ed Tait's article is here!

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: