Blue Bombers Forum
February 01, 2023, 03:50:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sad story about Esks equipment manager  (Read 3385 times)
pjrocksmb

#1D+ Hall is boss

« on: September 24, 2020, 12:09:29 AM »

https://globalnews.ca/news/7352425/equipment-manager-for-edmontons-cfl-team-confirms-club-has-let-him-go-after-49-years/amp/

I don't follow the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
the paw

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2020, 01:12:00 PM »

Sucks that he won't get to 50 years of service, but it's hardly an atrocity.  Some of the outrage from the media types is a little hard to take.  I mean after 49 years of service he is definitely of retirement age.  Time to take that CPP and OAS and make room for a younger guy, and given the state of the league at the moment, there are people with young families who are also being put out of work.

grab grass 'n growl
Waffler

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2020, 03:01:08 PM »

Hard to know if it is nickle and dime cost cutting or he is not as good as he once was and he is the last to know it.

That said I feel for the guy. This is his identity and he just lost it. Good luck to him.

Home isn't where you're from,
it's where you find light when all
grows dark. - Pierce Brown

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2020, 03:10:30 PM »

Sucks that he won't get to 50 years of service, but it's hardly an atrocity.  Some of the outrage from the media types is a little hard to take.  I mean after 49 years of service he is definitely of retirement age.  Time to take that CPP and OAS and make room for a younger guy, and given the state of the league at the moment, there are people with young families who are also being put out of work.
If you think he can live on CPP + OAS, you must be young.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.
sting

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2020, 04:48:42 PM »

He is also not old enough for OAS. Equipment managers get paid very little in the CFL.
the paw

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2020, 06:30:06 PM »

Well, if he hasn't put anything aside in his RRSP from the past 50 years, then the CFL surely isn't going to save him now.  The point is that businesses, particularly marginal ones, can't keep people around indefinitely for old times sake....

grab grass 'n growl
dd

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2020, 04:39:21 PM »

Not sure when the video was shot that was used in the news report but he looks young and capable for a guy that?s put in 49 years into an organization. I think it?s cold to terminate him after 49 years. I know, i know the whole covid snd business side of things but the Eskimos could have continued with his covid lay-off notice so it wasn?t costing them a dime , then when the season resumes, bring him back and had a 50 year of service ceremony to honour his contribution to the football club. We re talking 50 years of service here!!! I ve never heard of any individual who?s had 50 years of service in any business and that should have been recognized and celebrated publically. Douche move eskies, douche move.
Blue In BC

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2020, 05:21:33 PM »

Hey. That's what I'm living on as are many retired folks. By the time you retire you need to have paid off your home if you own one. You need to have accumulated some wealth to use during your retirement.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2020, 05:32:10 PM »

Brad Fotty, Bluebombers equipment manager, has also been temporarily laid off.

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
Pigskin
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2020, 06:12:54 PM »

It's part of the business right now. There's no work they keep a guy hanging around.

Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.
1chad

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2020, 07:34:44 PM »

Brad Fotty, Bluebombers equipment manager, has also been temporarily laid off.

The Blue Bomber guy is temporarily laid off, the EE guy sounds like it was a permanent cut.
dd

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2020, 12:03:20 AM »

That's what i understood as well....he was let go, not temporarily laid off, but cut loose. We all get the temporary lay off notices, i don't get why they had to axe him, especially after 49 years of service. Cold doesn't begin to describe it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: