Blue Bombers Forum
February 01, 2023, 03:36:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: CFL player departures?  (Read 17255 times)
blue_or_die

« Reply #60 on: September 01, 2020, 11:10:56 AM »

Right, so leagues with deep pockets can make it work: even the sputtering MLB is putting games on the air.  But there are tons of smaller-than-CFL leagues that are also making it work.  Why does it seem that the only failure is the precise size of league that the CFL is?  Bigger: no problem.  Smaller: no problem.  But CFL size? nope, can't do it.  Serious question.

It reminds me of that scene from Oh Brother Where Art Thou: Well ain't this place a geographical oddity! Two weeks from everywhere!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZ4z0QhD92Y

CFL is too small to play.  CFL is too big to play.  CFL is a league-o-graphical oddity.

Or is it that all those bigger and smaller leagues are more financially viable than the CFL?  Is the CFL really that pathetic that it's in worse financial condition than the Polish Football League and the Goldeyes league?  Serious question.  And you think other leagues aren't playing even though they are losing money too?  I'm sure many other leagues are playing at a loss, or their governments put a higher value on helping them play to boost public morale in a dark time.

If a 0.2%-0.5% virus (per the WHO and CDC) causes this much disruption to the world (and football), I shudder to think what the people will allow their governments to do when a virus that is more deadly vis a vis history (5-30% CFR) shows up and takes 3 years to clear.

And still no one has answered my question: what do we do if April 2021 rolls around and there's no useful vaccine and the virus is still smouldering like it is now?  The chance that comes to pass is non-zero.  I'd guess 25%.  Every argument provided as to why we can't play now will apply just the same then.  Do we shut down football in 2021 too?  Kiss the CFL goodbye then.

Me and you both, fellow fan!

You keep mentioning the Goldeyes. The Goldeyes are playing out of Fargo, in the US, where they're allowing attendance because 'Merica. That means revenue. That's the difference.

You are right that the CFL is in a weird financial zone compared to other leagues. Too small for big TV contracts like the big 4 in North America, and too big to not need a significant revenue source like e.g. a Polish gridiron football league where I bet Hansen is playing for kubasa lunches. Not sure what the attendance policy is in former Soviet bloc countries.

Back2Back Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
Blue In BC

« Reply #61 on: September 01, 2020, 01:15:30 PM »

Bombers have lost about 10 players in total. That includes 4 very good players and 6 that were brought in for their 1st TC.

About 90 players across the CFL opted out in total. The posted list may not be entirely complete yet. Some were very good players but most were rookies.  Good luck to them in trying to find NFL spots. They want to play and continue their careers.

I wonder how many return in 2021 and to which teams ( several were potential free agents going into 2021 ).

Riders lost 22 players. Please turn off the lights. Smiley
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 01:18:28 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

2019 Grey Cup Champions
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« Reply #62 on: September 01, 2020, 02:23:48 PM »

Previously mentioned but officially confirmed:

Blue Bombers transactions

WINNIPEG, MB., September 1, 2020 - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers have announced the following players have opted out of their contracts to pursue NFL opportunities per the agreement between the CFL and the CFLPA after the cancellation of the 2020 season:

* American linebacker Jontrell Rocquemore
 * American defensive tackle Christian Ringo

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
Pigskin
Global Moderator

« Reply #63 on: September 01, 2020, 05:35:40 PM »

All in all we did pretty good. Two starters on the D, and two starting teams players. I can see them all back next year along with JK2 and MS14.

Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #64 on: September 02, 2020, 12:22:17 AM »

Bombers have lost about 10 players in total. That includes 4 very good players and 6 that were brought in for their 1st TC.

About 90 players across the CFL opted out in total. The posted list may not be entirely complete yet. Some were very good players but most were rookies.  Good luck to them in trying to find NFL spots. They want to play and continue their careers.

I wonder how many return in 2021 and to which teams ( several were potential free agents going into 2021 ).

Riders lost 22 players. Please turn off the lights. Smiley

hehe

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
TecnoGenius

« Reply #65 on: September 02, 2020, 05:10:40 AM »

All in all we did pretty good. Two starters on the D, and two starting teams players. I can see them all back next year along with JK2 and MS14.

Yup, if CFL is back in 2021 I would expect 80%+ of the non-retirement-age players to be back, CFL-wide.  I'm not concerned.  Their chances in NFL and their salary ceiling in the XFL haven't magically changed since 2019.

Never go full Rider!
Blue In BC

« Reply #66 on: September 02, 2020, 01:10:21 PM »

Yup, if CFL is back in 2021 I would expect 80%+ of the non-retirement-age players to be back, CFL-wide.  I'm not concerned.  Their chances in NFL and their salary ceiling in the XFL haven't magically changed since 2019.

That's probably mostly true.  We lost a year of development of players that might have been part of the team in 2020. That might have even included some older starters being pushed off the roster as well.

I was only expecting Harris to play for another 2 seasons. Now the question is whether missing this season pushes him to a retirement decision.  He'll be 34 years old by April. Medlock will be 36 and Remple will turn 40 IIRC?

Even if the SMS remains the same we have 30 potential free agents and that includes so many starters and ace ST players. Whether we'll be allowed any 2020 SMS carry over is another question. Normally teams end up with some SMS room to re-sign players before free agency.

It didn't appear we'd see many new faces to our roster going into 2020. The roster was solid.

What happens with the roster for 2021 is unknown at the moment.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 01:43:27 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

2019 Grey Cup Champions
Pigskin
Global Moderator

« Reply #67 on: September 02, 2020, 01:50:26 PM »

AH33 will be back in 2021 if there is CFL football. Remple, Medlock, and Bryant could also be a Huh?

Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #68 on: September 02, 2020, 02:27:27 PM »

That's probably mostly true.  We lost a year of development of players that might have been part of the team in 2020. That might have even included some older starters being pushed off the roster as well.

I was only expecting Harris to play for another 2 seasons. Now the question is whether missing this season pushes him to a retirement decision.  He'll be 34 years old by April. Medlock will be 36 and Remple will turn 40 IIRC?

Even if the SMS remains the same we have 30 potential free agents and that includes so many starters and ace ST players. Whether we'll be allowed any 2020 SMS carry over is another question. Normally teams end up with some SMS room to re-sign players before free agency.

It didn't appear we'd see many new faces to our roster going into 2020. The roster was solid.

What happens with the roster for 2021 is unknown at the moment.

What a cruel twist of fate, the Bombers spend so many years struggling to build the roster back to the level of champions only to have all momentum stopped dead by bloody COVID-19.  Considering the personnel Walters gathered I was expecting an excellent chance of repeating, now everything is up in the air, the slate has been wiped clean and the next season begins with many teams on semi-equal footing, each with a half-million questions marks in terms of new personnel. Two or three weaker replacements in key positions could be the difference between winning the G.C. and missing the playoffs
Pigskin
Global Moderator

« Reply #69 on: September 02, 2020, 02:46:35 PM »

Every team will be dealing with the same issue's.

Blue In BC

« Reply #70 on: September 02, 2020, 04:02:15 PM »

What a cruel twist of fate, the Bombers spend so many years struggling to build the roster back to the level of champions only to have all momentum stopped dead by bloody COVID-19.  Considering the personnel Walters gathered I was expecting an excellent chance of repeating, now everything is up in the air, the slate has been wiped clean and the next season begins with many teams on semi-equal footing, each with a half-million questions marks in terms of new personnel. Two or three weaker replacements in key positions could be the difference between winning the G.C. and missing the playoffs

Exactly. Our roster was looking very good going into TC. We had to replace 2 starters in the secondary but had signed Lyles and Johnson.  Essentially perhaps a few ST players and PR players would be new to the team. Even then we had added Awe and Antigua that were almost penciled in to make the roster as DI's.

Yes every team will be dealing with the same issues. Interestingly the longer gap between the next season might actually allow those that departed to return.

Overall I think the culture in Winnipeg will bring back most of our potential free agents. No need to panic at all but it's a different kind of off season.

I suppose the 2021 draft will be the same order as 2020 or perhaps they do a lottery to determine draft order? Tough to not have those players play college this season so it's going to be even more of a crap shoot. Some of the 2020 draft choices might get passed by new choices.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  

Jump to: