Blue Bombers Forum
February 01, 2023, 03:37:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All
  Print  
Author Topic: CFL player departures?  (Read 17256 times)
TecnoGenius

« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2020, 06:35:28 AM »

Geez. Let it go already. The US has 25% of the world's Covid cases and deaths, large numbers of citizens that totally disregard any distancing / masks and believe Covid is a hoax.

In the NFL there are players that make more than the entire CFL spend overall on the 9 rosters of players.

It's unfortunate there will be no CFL this season but your comparisons and logic that's it's sad is sad in itself.

I have to agree with Gary Lawless in the following article, the team owners had an opportunity to step up into the sun and create new opportunities, instead they stepped back into the shadows and fell in a mud puddle.

https://3downnation.com/2020/08/25/former-tsn-reporter-gary-lawless-enormously-disappointed-in-the-leadership-of-the-cfl/

Apparently Lawless agrees with me.

First (Blue In BC) you point out that we shouldn't play CFL because there are Americans on our teams and you think America is a huge covid risk.  But the Jays, and the Canadian NHL teams have tons of Americans on their teams, just like the CFL, yet they managed to play.  Heck, I bet there are Americans on the Goldeyes team too!  So obviously having Americans in the mix doesn't preclude a league from playing.

Second, you point to the CFL's tiny salaries compared to the NFL as a reason we can't play.  But if tiny salaries were an impediment to playing, why are the Goldeyes playing?  What do they make each game, $5?  Or curling (for the non-star curlers)?  So clearly money, or lack thereof, doesn't dictate whether a league can play during covid.

Lawless says it's "thoroughly disappointing", as he has to be more delicate than I do.  "Pathetic" is probably what he's really thinking.  Because it is.

As for the virus, the revised conventional wisdom is that the IFR "infection fatality rate" of covid is 0.5-1.0%.  Some outlets peg it at much less.  And once you back out the 70+'ers it's way under 0.5%.  Take out the co-morbidity cases many estimate it's closer to 0.2%.  Add in the fact that asymptomatic people aren't a big public contagion vector.  Regardless of the actual numbers, it's not the boogeyman it was made out to be (and had me convinced, I admit) back in April, when flawed models estimated millions dead (of all ages) in every large country.  Clearly, the at risk groups need to be protected.  The rest of us should be watching CFL games at IGF right now.  And I stand by my prediction not a single (active) NFL player will die of covid this season, and neither would have any CFL player.
https://www.who.int/news-room/commentaries/detail/estimating-mortality-from-covid-19

Never go full Rider!
Blue In BC

« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2020, 01:29:56 PM »

First (Blue In BC) you point out that we shouldn't play CFL because there are Americans on our teams and you think America is a huge covid risk.  But the Jays, and the Canadian NHL teams have tons of Americans on their teams, just like the CFL, yet they managed to play.  Heck, I bet there are Americans on the Goldeyes team too!  So obviously having Americans in the mix doesn't preclude a league from playing.

Second, you point to the CFL's tiny salaries compared to the NFL as a reason we can't play.  But if tiny salaries were an impediment to playing, why are the Goldeyes playing?  What do they make each game, $5?  Or curling (for the non-star curlers)?  So clearly money, or lack thereof, doesn't dictate whether a league can play during covid.

Lawless says it's "thoroughly disappointing", as he has to be more delicate than I do.  "Pathetic" is probably what he's really thinking.  Because it is.

As for the virus, the revised conventional wisdom is that the IFR "infection fatality rate" of covid is 0.5-1.0%.  Some outlets peg it at much less.  And once you back out the 70+'ers it's way under 0.5%.  Take out the co-morbidity cases many estimate it's closer to 0.2%.  Add in the fact that asymptomatic people aren't a big public contagion vector.  Regardless of the actual numbers, it's not the boogeyman it was made out to be (and had me convinced, I admit) back in April, when flawed models estimated millions dead (of all ages) in every large country.  Clearly, the at risk groups need to be protected.  The rest of us should be watching CFL games at IGF right now.  And I stand by my prediction not a single (active) NFL player will die of covid this season, and neither would have any CFL player.
https://www.who.int/news-room/commentaries/detail/estimating-mortality-from-covid-19

Clearly you won't let it go. It was going to cost more to play than to not play. The last thing CFL teams needed was to lose even more money on a lost season. Yes it was a mitigating factor for why teams aren't playing. Not the only factor but a significant factor.

As far as the NFL it's not just about whether a player will die but whether they pass it on to others that might. Family, friends etc. There is no bubble for NFL players. There is a risk.

Lawless may agree with you but the CFL did not. Several players had already stated they would not play. They are they only ones that count. You're willingness to " bet " no NFL players will die, is beyond comprehension. Something like 65 NFL players opted out due to underlying medical conditions or family situations.

There is no 2020 season. Period. End of story. Full stop.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 02:00:33 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

2019 Grey Cup Champions
Pigskin
Global Moderator

« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2020, 02:42:32 PM »

The Jays have players from all over the world, but there also not playing games in Canada. The MLB has had many cases of Covid. Some games have been cancelled and other postponed. So this is not a good example.

The NBA and the NHL have both done an amazing job with there bubbles and keeping the player safe. However they do have 100's of millions to play with.

Curling hasn't even started yet. Probably won't start till the new year. Teams from other countries will have to isolate for 14 days if there allowed into the country. 

Now if there was CFL football and we were the hub city, I really don't know if anyone would be allowed at IGF to watch football.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 07:22:03 PM by Pigskin » Logged

Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.
bomb squad

« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2020, 05:20:09 PM »

The Jays have players from all over the world, but there also not playing games in Canada. The MLB has had many cases of Covid. Some games have been cancelled and other postponed. So this is not a good example.

The NBA and the NHL have both done an amazing job with there bubbles and keeping the player safe. However they do have 100's of millions to play with.

Curling hasn't even started yet. Probably won't start till the new year. Teams from other countries will have to isolate for 14 days if there allowed into the country. 

Now if there was CFL football and we were the hub city, I really don't know if anyone would be at IGF watching football.

Do you mean if they were allowed to be there, you don't know?
Pigskin
Global Moderator

« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2020, 07:15:51 PM »

Yes, if anyone would be allowed.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 07:20:15 PM by Pigskin » Logged

bomb squad

« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2020, 07:39:06 PM »

Then I do know. Because I would be there.
bluebeard

« Reply #51 on: August 30, 2020, 07:52:32 PM »

Rider fans better pray that Shepley comes back. He's a middle of the road OG but they were really thin on NAT OL depth and talent before he left. Now they are looking they will be fielding 2 scrubs and a has been down the middle of their OL.
Tough gig for him to make the 49ers but who knows.  Also hear that Vernon Adams has opted out of Montreal but plans to be back if nothing happens.
dd

« Reply #52 on: August 30, 2020, 08:30:45 PM »

The CFL didn't pursue playing because the costs in doing so were greater than the revenue streams they had, so nobody wanted to lose money, the government wasn't bailing them out, so they didn't play. It's not that hard to follow along.....
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #53 on: August 30, 2020, 10:45:35 PM »

I believe the hub plan stipulated no fans in the stands.
buckzumhoff

« Reply #54 on: August 30, 2020, 11:12:46 PM »

Toronto said no. Only team to come out and say they did not want to play. That's what killed the season. Ironically the team with fewest fans and privately owned
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2020, 05:06:31 AM »

Winnipeg Blue Bombers
@Wpg_BlueBombers
12h
Mercy Maston has been released to pursue NFL opportunities.

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
DM83

« Reply #56 on: August 31, 2020, 06:26:55 AM »

Maston was the final,piece needed to make our defence formidable. If he is lost, it would the old" hard to replace"

The CFL always seems to be financially unstable.
Lastly, I don't care about the TV contract angle.  Toronto is a cluster****, and is really a black mark on the league.
Kudos, to Wade and Pallister for showing leadership.

Let's re- open with a franchise in the Maritimes, and Quebec city..
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 02:31:24 PM by ModAdmin » Logged
TecnoGenius

« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2020, 03:42:28 AM »

Pretty sure Maston was trying the NFL and that's why he was unavailable until we snapped him up?

Anyhow, none of these "CFL player X released for NFL opportunities" means what it did in prior years, as every guy that has any chance will go down and try to make NFL money or even XFL money until the CFL starts up again.  There's literally nothing to lose.

Yes, Maston was one of the final pieces in the puzzle.  Boy did he excel in a short period of time.  Much better than I remember him being in EDM.

Never go full Rider!
TecnoGenius

« Reply #58 on: September 01, 2020, 04:08:05 AM »

The CFL didn't pursue playing because the costs in doing so were greater than the revenue streams they had, so nobody wanted to lose money, the government wasn't bailing them out, so they didn't play. It's not that hard to follow along.....

Right, so leagues with deep pockets can make it work: even the sputtering MLB is putting games on the air.  But there are tons of smaller-than-CFL leagues that are also making it work.  Why does it seem that the only failure is the precise size of league that the CFL is?  Bigger: no problem.  Smaller: no problem.  But CFL size? nope, can't do it.  Serious question.

It reminds me of that scene from Oh Brother Where Art Thou: Well ain't this place a geographical oddity! Two weeks from everywhere!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZ4z0QhD92Y

CFL is too small to play.  CFL is too big to play.  CFL is a league-o-graphical oddity.

Or is it that all those bigger and smaller leagues are more financially viable than the CFL?  Is the CFL really that pathetic that it's in worse financial condition than the Polish Football League and the Goldeyes league?  Serious question.  And you think other leagues aren't playing even though they are losing money too?  I'm sure many other leagues are playing at a loss, or their governments put a higher value on helping them play to boost public morale in a dark time.

If a 0.2%-0.5% virus (per the WHO and CDC) causes this much disruption to the world (and football), I shudder to think what the people will allow their governments to do when a virus that is more deadly vis a vis history (5-30% CFR) shows up and takes 3 years to clear.

And still no one has answered my question: what do we do if April 2021 rolls around and there's no useful vaccine and the virus is still smouldering like it is now?  The chance that comes to pass is non-zero.  I'd guess 25%.  Every argument provided as to why we can't play now will apply just the same then.  Do we shut down football in 2021 too?  Kiss the CFL goodbye then.

Then I do know. Because I would be there.

Me and you both, fellow fan!

Never go full Rider!
Pigskin
Global Moderator

« Reply #59 on: September 01, 2020, 08:09:11 AM »

Winnipeg Blue Bombers
@Wpg_BlueBombers
12h

It did, but there is still a few people that think some how they would have been at IGF watching games.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All
  Print  

Jump to: