Blue Bombers Forum
February 01, 2023, 03:48:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All
  Print  
Author Topic: CFL player departures?  (Read 17257 times)
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2020, 10:15:51 PM »

It's not unusual for players to go to the NFL if they can.  Who wants to be a career CFLer?
me me me

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
TecnoGenius

« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2020, 04:38:36 AM »

It was to play in Poland.

HANSEN HOPES TO SHARPEN SKILLS IN POLAND
by Ed Tait

Well, that's embarrassing.  Peanut league Goldeyes can get their act together to play, NFL can get their act together to play, and now the football in Poland of all places can get their act together to play.  But the CFL?...

What's next, curling?  Are they going to play?

Sad sad
SMH

Never go full Rider!
Pigskin
Global Moderator

« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2020, 05:26:46 AM »

Yes, curling is going to play. Not a full schedule but they are going to play 2 Grand Slams this year.

Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.
Blue In BC

« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2020, 02:09:26 PM »

Well, that's embarrassing.  Peanut league Goldeyes can get their act together to play, NFL can get their act together to play, and now the football in Poland of all places can get their act together to play.  But the CFL?...

Sad sad
SMH

Geez. Let it go already. The US has 25% of the world's Covid cases and deaths, large numbers of citizens that totally disregard any distancing / masks and believe Covid is a hoax.

In the NFL there are players that make more than the entire CFL spend overall on the 9 rosters of players.

It's unfortunate there will be no CFL this season but your comparisons and logic that's it's sad is sad in itself.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
GCn19

« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2020, 04:15:45 PM »

Last one out of Regina please turn off the lights.

Rider fans better pray that Shepley comes back. He's a middle of the road OG but they were really thin on NAT OL depth and talent before he left. Now they are looking they will be fielding 2 scrubs and a has been down the middle of their OL.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
Waffler

« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2020, 05:00:53 PM »

The draft will really be a crapshoot too. Tough to fill holes that way.

Home isn't where you're from,
it's where you find light when all
grows dark. - Pierce Brown

« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2020, 05:16:21 PM »

Rider fans better pray that Shepley comes back. He's a middle of the road OG but they were really thin on NAT OL depth and talent before he left. Now they are looking they will be fielding 2 scrubs and a has been down the middle of their OL.

Sure but Bombers are not exactly set either: Hardrick, Bryant, Neufeld, Speller and Gray are all potential free agents.

While I'd expect to be able to re-sign all of them, that isn't written in stone anywhere.

Here's another question going into 2021 with potentially still about 35 players listed as potential free agents:

Normally every team uses up some excess SMS at the end of each season to re-sign their potential free agents.

What happens this off season where most of the SMS wasn't spent? We don't know if there will be renegotiated changes to the 2021 SMS. However, it's not like teams can " use " $3M give or take of the 2020 SMS they didn't payout as previous signing bonus's for 2020.

Do they agree on an " average " under spend in previous years to use in that manner?

« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 05:45:45 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

2019 Grey Cup Champions
Blue In BC

« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2020, 08:14:45 PM »

Cameron Judge released in Regina. Didn't see that one coming. I guess players have nothing to lose to see if they can get an NFL opportunity. Chances are always slim but this late in NFL TC's doesn't bode well for chances.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
gobombersgo
Global Moderator

« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2020, 08:27:38 PM »

Cameron Judge released in Regina. Didn't see that one coming. I guess players have nothing to lose to see if they can get an NFL opportunity. Chances are always slim but this late in NFL TC's doesn't bode well for chances.
Even with training camp well underway, teams are bringing in new players every day.

The practice rosters expanded from 10 to 12 this season. Then, because of Covid they increased the practice rosters to 16.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 08:30:22 PM by gobombersgo » Logged

gobombersgo
Global Moderator

« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2020, 09:39:35 PM »

Bombers dlineman Christian Ringo opted-out today. He just signed with the team on June 26th.       

GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2020, 11:18:18 PM »

This just sucks ***.

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2020, 11:23:46 PM »

Ed Tait
@EdTaitWFC

20m
Another member of the @Wpg_BlueBombers
 has opted out of his contract to pursue NFL opportunities ? ace kick returner Janarion Grant

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
gobombersgo
Global Moderator

« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2020, 11:47:23 PM »

Monday is the last day that players can opt-out of their contracts.

Hansen, Lawler and Grant are due to be free agents in February.

The rookies that opted-out will still be under contract with the Bombers if they wish to play in the CFL next season.

DM83

« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2020, 12:18:32 PM »

Grant was a great find.
But you have to make money to earn a living.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2020, 05:12:24 AM »

Sad sad
SMH

I have to agree with Gary Lawless in the following article, the team owners had an opportunity to step up into the sun and create new opportunities, instead they stepped back into the shadows and fell in a mud puddle.  They put the league's future in jeopardy over a lack of vision and a difference of 30 million dollars, which in the scope of a hundred million dollar enterprise isn't much.  They'll need to spend 30 million dollars just to restore the league to the point it was at in 2019, but I doubt they'll do that either.

https://3downnation.com/2020/08/25/former-tsn-reporter-gary-lawless-enormously-disappointed-in-the-leadership-of-the-cfl/
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All
  Print  

Jump to: