Blue Bombers Forum
February 01, 2023, 03:54:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mike O'Shea  (Read 21427 times)
Waffler

« Reply #90 on: September 08, 2020, 10:25:30 AM »

WPG    1964    1    14    1    .094    5th in West

BC    1975    5    5    0    .500    5th in West 
BC    1976    5    9    2    .375    4th in West 

TOR    2008    0    8    0    .000    3rd in East

How awful these coaches must have been!

They are respectively, Bud Grant, Cal Murphy and Don Matthews.

Home isn't where you're from,
it's where you find light when all
grows dark. - Pierce Brown

« Reply #91 on: September 08, 2020, 12:39:28 PM »

Yes, I was thinking about the IMPs on D.  We basically had what could be an NFL D: almost all IMPs.  However, every team has the option of tweaking their ratio like that, if they hire the right NATs...  Let's not scoff at Kongbo or Fatboi though, they were both stout in the playoffs.  Maybe not huge stats, but watch the line play, they made their impact.

Hall sometimes confused me too, even when rewatching a play a few times!  Cheesy  Sometimes it's impossible to guess who will come and who will drop back.  Just as impossible is guessing how many are actually coming.  I can just imagine how much hell that is for QBs.

Attacking D?  What do you mean?  Our GC D wasn't "attacking" enough for you?  Or do you mean attacking the routes and getting takeaways?  Funny how our regular season takeaways, while good, weren't as good as our peak turnover years.  But I take out lessening reliance on the turnover as a sign of strength: not needing fancy pants plays to win games.  Or do you mean more blitzes?  Hmm, again you'd have to separate regular from post-season to analyze.  Let me know what you mean by attacking and I can better respond.

GCn19: maybe.  Our D had some great games in the heat too.  But you might be right as we really lit up in the last 4 (overall) games; all chilly games.  To me the only real blemishes on our D were the early games when we were still getting comfortable and still trying to slot in the best players, and the awful TOR & MTL losses which I think were purely a function of lax/prevent-D play calling (and really bad luck).

After watching the last 4 games a zillion and one times, I can honestly say that we haven't had such a great D in nearly 30 years.  It is a supreme thrill to sit and watch them make play after play, over and over.

Just because most of our players on D were Americans, doesn't make it an NFL D. This D turned the corner the day MOS decided JH was out and Alexander was in at Safety. Until then the D was up and down like a rollercoaster.

In 2001, 2007, and 2011, all years we went to the Grey Cup we had very good D's.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 02:20:22 PM by Pigskin » Logged

Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.
GCn19

« Reply #92 on: September 09, 2020, 11:09:33 AM »

Yes, I was thinking about the IMPs on D.  We basically had what could be an NFL D: almost all IMPs.  However, every team has the option of tweaking their ratio like that, if they hire the right NATs...  Let's not scoff at Kongbo or Fatboi though, they were both stout in the playoffs.  Maybe not huge stats, but watch the line play, they made their impact.

Hall sometimes confused me too, even when rewatching a play a few times!  Cheesy  Sometimes it's impossible to guess who will come and who will drop back.  Just as impossible is guessing how many are actually coming.  I can just imagine how much hell that is for QBs.

Attacking D?  What do you mean?  Our GC D wasn't "attacking" enough for you?  Or do you mean attacking the routes and getting takeaways?  Funny how our regular season takeaways, while good, weren't as good as our peak turnover years.  But I take out lessening reliance on the turnover as a sign of strength: not needing fancy pants plays to win games.  Or do you mean more blitzes?  Hmm, again you'd have to separate regular from post-season to analyze.  Let me know what you mean by attacking and I can better respond.

GCn19: maybe.  Our D had some great games in the heat too.  But you might be right as we really lit up in the last 4 (overall) games; all chilly games.  To me the only real blemishes on our D were the early games when we were still getting comfortable and still trying to slot in the best players, and the awful TOR & MTL losses which I think were purely a function of lax/prevent-D play calling (and really bad luck).

After watching the last 4 games a zillion and one times, I can honestly say that we haven't had such a great D in nearly 30 years.  It is a supreme thrill to sit and watch them make play after play, over and over.

I did not mean to imply that our D was useless in the summer, just that from personnel down to scheme the Bombers built a defence that would perform at its best in the cold weather games. Did that mean being prone to the explosion play during the July heat...yea...but full credit to our GM and coaches for seeing past that.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #93 on: September 09, 2020, 11:51:00 PM »

Just because most of our players on D were Americans, doesn't make it an NFL D. This D turned the corner the day MOS decided JH was out and Alexander was in at Safety. Until then the D was up and down like a rollercoaster.

In 2001, 2007, and 2011, all years we went to the Grey Cup we had very good D's.

FWIR, those D's were very good, but usually in 1 or 2 aspects.  I don't recall a D, except maybe 1990, that was monster in all positions.  In the past it was usually the DBs that would be the weak(er) point.

In 2019 we had one of the best DL ever, an exceptional LB corps to equal any of the past, and a CGY-at-their-peak level of DB talent.  We had it all.  The funny thing is we may not have had the best players in each position (except DE), but we certainly had the best team with superb communication and coordination, and an awesome scheme/DC.

Take 2011 for example: massively strong DL, decent LBs, decent DBs.

Again, this is just my opinion.

Never go full Rider!
blue_or_die

« Reply #94 on: September 09, 2020, 11:59:16 PM »

FWIR, those D's were very good, but usually in 1 or 2 aspects.  I don't recall a D, except maybe 1990, that was monster in all positions.  In the past it was usually the DBs that would be the weak(er) point.

In 2019 we had one of the best DL ever, an exceptional LB corps to equal any of the past, and a CGY-at-their-peak level of DB talent.  We had it all.  The funny thing is we may not have had the best players in each position (except DE), but we certainly had the best team with superb communication and coordination, and an awesome scheme/DC.

Take 2011 for example: massively strong DL, decent LBs, decent DBs.

Again, this is just my opinion.

I would rate our 2011 secondary as ?massively strong? instead of ?decent? IMO.

LBs I think we?re Lobendahn, Marcellus Bowman and Clint Kent was our SAM (I think?) which is probably a little better than just decent.

I?m just rambling about the past here...

Back2Back Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
blue_gold_84

For The W

« Reply #95 on: September 10, 2020, 01:27:15 AM »

That Swaggerville Defense of 2011 was dominant across the board and a primary reason for that team having the season it did. The loss of Lobendahn was significant, IMO.

That secondary, though? It was spectacular: Jovon Johnson (MODP*, AS) AKA the CEO of Swaggerville, Jonathan Hefney (AS), Ian Logan (AS), Alex Suber, Brandon Stewart. These five combined for 253 tackles, 23 INTs (4 for TDs), 5 fumbles, and 2 QB sacks. That's a pretty savage stat line, not to mention the All-Star nods.

* Johnson's MODP award was the first by a defensive back
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 01:29:45 AM by blue_gold_84 » Logged

#forthew

Slava Ukraini!
TecnoGenius

« Reply #96 on: September 10, 2020, 09:30:14 AM »

I stand corrected on 2011.  I forgot about most of those DBs.  I guess I was thinking 2007.  Anyhow, so the 2011 "weak link" on D was the LB corps, whilst still good, were overshadowed by the DL/DBs.

All those DBs bg84 mentions all sound to us now as memorable "big" names.  But some/most weren't that "big" at the time, were they?  Which gets me thinking about our 2019 D... how many will go on in the CFL to become "big" names.  And by "big" I mean well-known outside of our team (think Willie, Bighill).

I think Alexander, Maston, Sayles, Rose and even Jones#16 may go on to monster CFL careers (assuming the NFL guys come back to CFL).  Which sucks a bit because that means keeping them all on one team will become (expensively) impossible.  (Taylor was good too but might need to grow another year.)

Never go full Rider!
Tiger

« Reply #97 on: September 25, 2020, 12:24:18 AM »

We won the Grey Cup.  

Hard to argue for success.

We are still Grey Cup champions this year because there are no games!

Enjoy it.

We are now in the middle of a huge cluster. Who knows what happens next.

At least enjoy the Grey Cup Champion status and it is fertile ground d for teasing rider fans.

Football is easy if you're crazy as hell
 Bo Jackson

We are inclined to think that if we watch a football game or a baseball game, we have taken part in it
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

BC Sucks
Tiger
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #98 on: September 25, 2020, 01:28:46 AM »

We won the Grey Cup.  

Enjoy it.

At least enjoy the Grey Cup Champion status and it is fertile ground d for teasing rider fans.
Hear Hear Tiger

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #99 on: September 25, 2020, 01:30:49 AM »

That Swaggerville Defense of 2011 was dominant across the board and a primary reason for that team having the season it did. The loss of Lobendahn was significant, IMO.

That secondary, though? It was spectacular: Jovon Johnson (MODP*, AS) AKA the CEO of Swaggerville, Jonathan Hefney (AS), Ian Logan (AS), Alex Suber, Brandon Stewart. These five combined for 253 tackles, 23 INTs (4 for TDs), 5 fumbles, and 2 QB sacks. That's a pretty savage stat line, not to mention the All-Star nods.

* Johnson's MODP award was the first by a defensive back
nice job!

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
Leroy Brown
« Reply #100 on: October 13, 2020, 12:56:55 AM »

We won the Grey Cup.  

Enjoy it.

Wade should spend about $10,000 per for big diamond encrusted chain medallions with the W logo for 2020, then in 2021 he can add the belt buckle.
Foxhound

« Reply #101 on: October 16, 2020, 01:13:34 AM »

Mike O'Shea hasn't finished building his legacy yet. He will when he retires have secured the position as the Bombers' second winningest, second best and second most beloved coach of all-time after the legendary Bud Grant.

Smiley

« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 03:04:23 PM by Foxhound » Logged

Radically Canadian!

Leroy Brown
« Reply #102 on: October 17, 2020, 10:43:30 PM »

Mike O'Shea hasn't finished building his legacy yet. He will when he retires have secured the position as the Bombers' second winningest, best and beloved coach of all-time after the legendary Bud Grant. Smiley

It's not like he hasn't been given a good chance to get the job done.

Bombers have had many good coaches. MOS down the list when it comes to most beloved. Cal Murphy would be my pick.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]  All
  Print  

Jump to: