Blue Bombers Forum
February 01, 2023, 03:38:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mike O'Shea  (Read 21425 times)
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« on: August 20, 2020, 04:20:26 AM »

Mike O'Shea has been the subject of both criticism and praise by Bomber fans and un-fans over the years he has been in Winnipeg.

Just want to say that his tenure thus far has been successful in building a Grey Cup winner, creating a team of players that loves him and loves playing in front of Blue Bomber fans, who entices players to want to play for the Bombers and who is arguably the greatest supporter of the CFL in the league.

Given all of this, we can expect continued success for several years to come IMHO.  The average tenure of a head coach is 4 to 5 years so the patience exercised to see Mike's success was wise and rewarding.  A big shout out to Mike O'Shea for the work he has done to bring a Grey Cup back to Winnipeg.
#Bombersforthewinin2021

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
TecnoGenius

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2020, 06:14:54 AM »

You bet!  MOS is the keystone, even more so than KW.  Not only does he get the best from players, but he picks and supports the best coordinators.  I'm sure it's a ton of MOS that led to the retention of Hall and Lapo.  Especially Hall, as many called for his head over the years.  And keeping Lapo for just "one more year" was quite a coup.

I'm in the camp of never having disparaged MOS.  I remember crowds at IGF actually calling for his head.  I just shook my head.

If we ever get back to Bomber ball, MOS could turn into one of our all-time great coaches, especially if he gets us another cup in the next 3 years.  Me, I'll be satisfied with defining HC "success" as just beating CGY in the standings and/or playoffs year after year.

Never go full Rider!
DM83

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2020, 10:36:20 AM »

One thing I want to emphasize is that O'Shea, McManus and Walters are pals.  Many years ago, when all three were at the end of their careers as players or already retired, I saw them and others out socially.  They were certainly a clear relaxed relationship,,as they were what could be commonly characterized, " out with the boys."

I don't know how Wade fit in, but, together they have formed a pretty good operational /management team.
I can only imagine their personal way of doing things and philosophies meshed.

After a few years, it resulted in success.
TBURGESS

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2020, 12:49:29 PM »

I still don't like O'Shea.
We're just slightly above .500 with him at HC over his 7 year tenure.
It took him 6 years to win a playoff game.
He's now 1 game above .500 in the playoffs because he won 3 last year. 
His best regular season finish is 2nd in the West and that only happened once.
We were 3rd in the West, 4th in the league last year, one win better than Montreal under a rookie HC
Our Grey Cup win was much like the way the Stamps beat us in 2001, came from 3rd in the West to beat the #1 team. 
If we hadn't won a playoff game last year, I think he would have been fired. If he'd only won 1 playoff game he might have been fired.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2020, 03:03:04 PM »

We were 3rd in the West, 4th in the league last year, one win better than Montreal under a rookie HC
Our Grey Cup win was much like the way the Stamps beat us in 2001, came from 3rd in the West to beat the #1 team. 
If we hadn't won a playoff game last year, I think he would have been fired. If he'd only won 1 playoff game he might have been fired.

Lol.
blue_or_die

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2020, 04:19:27 PM »

We won a grey cup for the first time in 3 decades.

- All past criticisms were entirely fair and warranted
- All past sins are completely forgiven now with the championship

Back2Back Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
Blue In BC

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2020, 04:29:46 PM »

We won a grey cup for the first time in 3 decades.

- All past criticisms were entirely fair and warranted
- All past sins are completely forgiven now with the championship

As they say, " what have you done for us lately ". Well he won the Grey Cup and built an entertaining team that was becoming more successful year to year.

Previous learning curve or not, he has us where we want to be today. Our 2020 team roster was looking pretty good. How things look going into 2021 became more complicated with this season being cancelled.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
TBURGESS

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2020, 04:49:08 PM »

Lol.
What an insightful post!  Roll Eyes It's this kind of in depth analysis that keeps me coming back here.  Grin
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 07:06:35 PM by TBURGESS » Logged

GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2020, 04:50:38 PM »

LMAO  There is no pleasing you mr powers!

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
TBURGESS

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2020, 05:44:10 PM »

LMAO  There is no pleasing you mr powers!
Not true, I'm very pleased about the GC win.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 07:06:18 PM by TBURGESS » Logged

DM83

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2020, 06:50:53 PM »

He  also stopped wearing shorts
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2020, 08:14:02 PM »

What an insightful post!  Roll Eyes It's this kind of in depth analysis that keeps me coming back here.  Grin

Sometimes you just have to laugh. We've already been over this a handful of times. If you look at his record over the last three or four years it's substantially better than barely above .500. The rest of your post is trying to present facts in the most negative light possible (he's over .500 in the playoffs but...).

He won the Grey Cup. That's good. You can dislike the most successful coach the organization has had in three decades if you want, but it's a pretty stupid opinion. Some folks will just never be happy and you're apparently one of them.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 09:23:06 PM by Sir Blue and Gold » Logged
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2020, 09:53:03 PM »

Sometimes you just have to laugh. We've already been over this a handful of times. If you look at his record over the last three or four years it's substantially better than barely above .500. The rest of your post is trying to present facts in the most negative light possible (he's over .500 in the playoffs but...).

He won the Grey Cup. That's good. You can dislike the most successful coach the organization has had in three decades if you want, but it's a pretty stupid opinion. Some folks will just never be happy and you're apparently one of them.
Slow clap Gold hat Slow clap!

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
dd

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2020, 10:37:23 PM »

Man I can?t even believe we re having this conversation, talk about ungrateful.

Forget his wins and losses/playoff record, he had such a stinking mess to cleanup, it took years to do, years. We went through OC, DC and ST coaches before we got it right. MOS made his share of rookie coaching mistakes, but we re beyond that now.

We are now a well respected organization and opponents know they are going to get both barrels when they play us. The team loves MOS and play their hearts out for him. The Bombers were so much better and played with so much more intensity than the ticats last year in the grey cup it was embarrassing for them.

Kudos MOS and here?s hoping we get through this covid crap and get back to business next season!!
PloenFan

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2020, 11:39:47 PM »

When Mr. O'Shea was announced as our coach, I figured he'd instill that hard-nosed brand of football from his playing days.
No longer are we a 'free space on the bingo card' - teams actually don't like to play us now !
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All
  Print  

Jump to: