Blue Bombers Forum
February 01, 2023, 02:11:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Will the CFL survive in it's current form?
yes - 16 (53.3%)
no - 9 (30%)
Maybe - 5 (16.7%)
Total Voters: 30

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Will the CFL survive in it's current form?  (Read 18586 times)
pjrocksmb

#1D+ Hall is boss

« on: August 17, 2020, 10:48:02 PM »

Nothing is more depressing than a season lost than the possibility of the CFL folding.  Thoughts?

I don't follow the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
blue_or_die

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2020, 01:50:47 AM »

I wish I had some useful insight to offer. Overall I think the CFL will survive but I can?t guarantee that?s more than just my wishful thinking.

One thing I?m pretty sure of: the fate will heavily depend on what?s going on in the minds of private owners. I hope that if there are hearts not fully committed to their teams, that those teams can somehow transition to a community ownership model. I think that route might be the only thing that makes the CFL as we know it viable. It works well for Winnipeg, Sask and Edmonton.

Back2Back Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
dd

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2020, 02:33:04 AM »

The league isn't going anywhere. Ya it sucks the season is formally cancelled, but we knew this was coming. No surprise here at all. We'll get through this
TecnoGenius

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2020, 09:19:07 AM »

Need a "maybe" option.  Too early to tell.  Based on their "working together" and "finding solutions" so far, I'd say it doesn't look good.

Never go full Rider!
Waffler

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2020, 10:00:14 AM »

At the very least there will be a huge turn over of players. Will enough people feel ok in a large crowd? That can only be answered next year. Will the salary cap have to go down? If it did would the players strike? Giant question marks are all I see right now and I feel sick about it.

Home isn't where you're from,
it's where you find light when all
grows dark. - Pierce Brown

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2020, 11:04:43 AM »

Fold the league. Come back with no union and a smaller salary cap. Raise the minimum salary however no player should be making over 300K. There are enough players to fill teams.
bigbuff33

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2020, 11:57:19 AM »

Not in its present format...

If there is going to be a CFL, something must be done about the big market teams...Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver...the so called smaller seats love their teams...and if necessary, I'd play a 6 team league until the big cities show they ccare.
TBURGESS

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2020, 12:08:10 PM »

All I can say is I hope it survives in any form.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.
Blue In BC

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2020, 01:58:09 PM »

Fold the league. Come back with no union and a smaller salary cap. Raise the minimum salary however no player should be making over 300K. There are enough players to fill teams.

The minimum salary was already going up. I'd be surprised if there was no CFLPA but they are going to have to be willing to adjust to the new reality.

If they do that I wouldn't expect it would be necessary to actually fold and start from scratch.

OTOH, if we find out all contracts are null and void then in effect that's what happens I suppose.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
blue_gold_84

For The W

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2020, 03:03:19 PM »

No way the league folds, at least not without a serious fight. We're barely 24 hours into the cancelation of the 2020 season, anyway. Let's see how things go over the next few months.

Also, there's no way to have a CFL without a CFLPA. A union is an integral part of the league and ensuring players' rights are respected.

Needless to say, the CFL will need to retool and restructure itself to stay afloat. How that comes to fruition is beyond me at this point but I still don't see the CFL dying on account of this missed season.

Not in its present format...

If there is going to be a CFL, something must be done about the big market teams...Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver...the so called smaller seats love their teams...and if necessary, I'd play a 6 team league until the big cities show they ccare.

Without the three major urban centres, how can there be a reasonable TV deal? Like it or not, the CFL needs those three big cities, even if they struggle to fill seats.

#forthew

Slava Ukraini!
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2020, 03:29:51 PM »

The league has had its fair share of ups and downs over the years. There was the failed US expansion, the dark days of the late 90s and the folding of the Ottawa franchise (twice). Prior to the current iteration of the CFL, the league survived two world wars, several large identity crises and a host of other challenges.

I think the federal government will eventually come to the aid of the league in 2021 and they'll get a full season in. Whether they have to change the business model is probably the biggest question mark but if they do, and they get it right, there is every chance the league comes back stronger.

The answer to the question largely comes down to your definition of "current form". There will be changes to players, the CBA and likely a bunch of other things we can't anticipate yet. Do I think we'll have nine teams play 18 games and a playoffs next year? Yes.

Blue In BC

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2020, 03:58:44 PM »

I said it before but I'll make a few comments and suggestions based on poor financial viability of CFL teams mentioned in the news.

1. 2019 was the wrong time to implement a Global player into the roster. Technically he replaced a # 3 QB or a Canadian in the 46man roster. However he added 1 additional cost to salary spend ( outside SMS ).

In 2020 we were to add another Global player ( outside SMS ) which meant 1 less Canadian space available on the 46 man roster. 

Additionally we would have needed to increase the PR for Global players to have some injury depth and development. That would also increase the total expenses.

2. In 2020 there was another odd change with the grandfathered import ratio change but needing to start 3 of them. Didn't make any sense to me.

My thoughts going into 2021 and beyond:

1. Eliminate the global player roster inclusion. Or at the very least put them inside the SMS and make them qualify as imports. If the 2nd player is actually eliminating 1 Canadian spot, who are we kidding about the ratio anyway? Yes I liked Hansen but he was effectively just another DI. That would be true if a 2nd was added.

2. Eliminate the grandfathered import suggestion. Since they could only replace another import, they'd already be starting. At best a DI might qualify but he'd still only replace another import which is what DI's do.

All of that is finding ways to side step Canadians as back ups IMO.

3. Reduce the roster from 46 to 42.  1 less QB leaves a question on the other 3 player reductions. Eliminating the 1st global would be one and is somewhat of a trade off in the off set of no # 3 QB. Eliminating the proposed 2nd global player is another trade off of the Canadian spot that was going to be lost anyway?

Now the question is do we actually reduce the one more Canadian or do we eliminate 1 DI? IMO we eliminate another Canadian.

4. Reduce the SMS to $4.5M. Eliminating 4 ELC's and 2 global salaries outside the SMS is 6 X $65K = $390K Reducing the SMS by the $700K means about $1.1M total reduction. It's a start.

All the toying around with the new ratio ideas wasn't going to help the Canadians retain roster spots and get playing time.

The CFL could suggest more radical changes to the roster but I'd start with what I've said above.

Obviously I'd like to retain 46 players if possible. However reducing the roster is a significant way to reduce spend. It will come down to how much reduction is really needed and which is the less painful way to achieve it. Less players, lower SMS, a combination of both or one or the other. Pick your poison.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 04:10:55 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

2019 Grey Cup Champions
Donny C

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2020, 04:37:18 PM »

The CFL will survive!

It will look different (though nobody knows exactly what that will look like).

The business model must change. Crisis causes organizations to make changes that they should have earlier but previously had every excuse not to make. Don't waste a crisis.
TBURGESS

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2020, 04:42:05 PM »

I'm not sure the business model will or even should change. It mostly works during normal times. Businesses don't need their plan to work in pandemic years that come about a hundred years apart.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2020, 04:53:02 PM »

I'm not sure the business model will or even should change. It mostly works during normal times. Businesses don't need their plan to work in pandemic years that come about a hundred years apart.

The CFL is the only Winnipeg sports league that couldn't afford to play this year. NHL, CPL, IPB (Goldeyes) all made it work. The gate driven business was under a lot of stress even before the pandemic. It might continue to work here but that model was already struggling in BC, Montreal and Toronto which represents 33% of the league. How an year off affects vulnerable markets remains to be seen. Hopefully we have a COVID solution by next spring, but if we don't then what? The league surely needs to start planning for that today. If they couldn't make the finances work for a shortened 6-game outing this year then an 18-game season is mathematically about three times more difficult should fans not be able to attend or decide to mostly stay away.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All
  Print  

Jump to: